Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 95 Jetta starting problem after timing pulley change

1. 04-11-2010 12:18 PM #1
      Let me give a little background on the problem. Soooo....

I've had this whuurrrrr sound for a while. I took a few things off and found that my timing tensioner pully was making the noise. It annoyed me to no end so i had to change it. While I was at it i figured i would change the idler pully. I changed both of them and think i offset the timing by one notch on the belt. I'm not sure of it but have my suspicions. Anywho back to the story. Well the car started and idled fine. However it was jumpy when getting up to speed and stalled out on me a few times after just starting it similar to this post http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic284806.htm . I didn't read this post till after I did a few things.

First I redid the timing and made sure that the cam gear was in the correct place, shown here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000233.JPG and that the mark on the flywheel was in the correct place as shown here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000234.JPG . Now the car won't start.

I made a little vid to show what everything looks like just before i put everything back together. In it I want to know if the rotor on the distributor is in the correct spot. Everything I read it should be pointed twords a certain line and it isn't. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000235.MOV

I tried to start it and nothing happens. No attempt no nothing. I went out and got some new plugs just incase they were fouled and that didn't help either. Same problem I'm hoping someone has some answers for me.

Update:

Reset all the cam back to point at the mark on it's cover. I also made sure that the crank was pointing at the 0 on the Flywheel. Then I pulled the distributor and reset it so that the rotor was finally pointing at the making on the distributor cap (aka cylinder 1). I turned it over and nothing . After about 12-14 cranks it made a little noise like it was thinking about moving but didn't do anything.

Yesterday I checked to see if there was spark and there was. Is it possible that the distributor isn't sending enough current? Since the timing belt is the only thing I touched it should be the only thing that's wrong. However If you look at the vid in my last post you will see that I have everything aligned correctly.
      Thanks in advance.
      Dave

Modified by Davez69gto at 6:56 PM 4-11-2010

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta Wagon, 84 Scirocco and Fritz the '82 Caddy
      04-11-2010 06:12 PM #2
      Maybe a bad coil. Take the coil wire out of the distributor and hold 3/8" or so from a good ground while an assistant cranks the starter. A healthy coil will give you a blue-white spark that easily jumps the 3/8" gap. If the spark is yellow or orange, and/or won't jump that gap, replace the coil.

Before spending cash for a coil, be sure that you have 12v at the coil input terminal.

No offense intended here, but are you certain that the wires are connected the proper cylinders? Firing order is 1342, and the distributor spins clockwise.

3. 04-11-2010 10:00 PM #3
      I'll check the coil tomorrow afternoon and give an update. No offense taken. That's one of the first things i checked after putting a new distributor cap and rotor on, i know it's easy to mess up. I'll update on here as soon as I get a verdict.

The car does have a problem that when it's warm it takes longer to start. Usually starts on the first crank or two but when warm it sometimes takes 12 or so. This could be a coil problem as well so maybe it died when I was changing the pulleys.

4. 04-11-2010 10:19 PM #4
      I know next to nothing.… and what little I do know has been learned from the generosity of others on this site but I had a similar issue and realized I was pointing to cylinder #1 on an exhaust stroke rather that a compression stroke. I'm still confused by the whole thing!

Vehicles
      vw
      04-12-2010 04:16 AM #5
      It's a good thing that you're trying your best fixing your ride. Keep your cool, I know others who would've given up already. Keep up the good work.
      I would (double) check your 3 timing marks. Check that the ignition rotor is pointing under the no1 tower on the distributor cap. Check for spark at the no1 spark plug wire. Check for any injector or harness conectors that may be disconnected. Check that the ignition rotor rotates when the engine is cranked. If you have access to a timing light, use it to varify how close the spark is to its mark, no1 tdc.
      The engine needs compression, fuel, and spark to run, in an orchestrated or timed order. If it doesn't start, double check your work, if you're tired of it, rest and get back on it freshened up.

Sometimes the spark is lost in the distributor, so it is good to check the spark from the coil, then from the distributor to the spark plug. Clean the carbon inside the distributor cap for beter starts, the rotor should be replaced regularly. The ignition wires should not be cracked or too dry to bend.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      94 GTI, 82 Scirocco
      04-12-2010 11:25 AM #6
      I do not trust the flywheel mark. Best way to find tdc for #1 cylinder is to remove the spark plug and insert a long screw driver into the cylinder and slowly rotate the engine by hand till the screw driver stops moving. Once the cylinder is at the top you can check your flywheel mark.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2010 12:42 PM #7
      This works, but be advised that the piston comes to the top of its stroke twice in every power cycle.

You want the TDC which has the distributor rotor pointing to the notch/line on the distributor housing. If it's 180 degrees off, turn the crank another full revolution.

8. 04-12-2010 06:12 PM #8
      Alright here are the things I did so far today:

Tested the ignition coil: held it about 3/8" away from a ground and turned the car over. The spark was orange so I'm gonna head out in a few min and get a new one if I can. I also had a little smoke eminate from the steering column when i did it but didn't happen again on a regular turnover so i wasn't worried

Aligned everything correctly: I checked #1 cylinder by putting a straw inside and turned the crank slowly till it reached the top. It was exactly where the 0 mark was on the flywheel. I made sure that the the cam was pointed towards the 0 mark on the back cover. I then pulled off the distributor cap and made sure that the rotor was pointing towards cylinder 1 point (which is also the marking on the base of the distributor). It turned out that all of my settings were correct already.
      Here are the pics for confirmation: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000239.JPG http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000241.JPG http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623121/P1000243.JPG

Rechecked my wire order and made sure that everything was plugged in correctly.

I thought about what one of the replies said suggesting that I was igniting when the exhaust valve was open and I don't see that being the problem since I made sure that the 0 was aligned on the cam so that would signify the beginning of the power strokes/all valves closed on cylinder 1.

Alright I'm off to go find a coil

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2010 07:09 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Davez69gto »

I thought about what one of the replies said suggesting that I was igniting when the exhaust valve was open and I don't see that being the problem since I made sure that the 0 was aligned on the cam so that would signify the beginning of the power strokes/all valves closed on cylinder 1.

Right.

10. 04-12-2010 07:50 PM #10
      I just put in the new ignition coil and nothing changed Any new ideas. Please check out my pics in my last post to make sure that the marks and everything are correct.

If any additional pics/information is needed I can supply them.

Recently new items:
      Idler Pulley
      Timing Pulley
      Spark Plugs
      Spark Plug Wires
      Distributor Cap
      Distributor Rotor
      Ignition coil

I assume with all these new parts something has to be offset somewhere. All but the cap/rotor and ignition coil were changed before I had issues so i know they work. I can change the other three back to the old since they were working before the problem if needbe.

Dave

Vehicles
      1989 VW GTI 16v (W.I.P), 1998 VW Jetta 2.0 (Totalled), 2001 VW GTI 1.8t
      04-12-2010 08:02 PM #11
      Um you shouldnt have to pull the dizzy to align it. There is a pulley just below the cam pulley you can turn to align the dizzy rotor with the correct mark.
      Vagcom available in Palm Springs area PM me

Vehicles
      04-12-2010 08:07 PM #12
      Oh yeah I thought on the 2.0 the there was a tab on the flywheel used to time it instead of a small dot. It should be a small rectangular tab sticking out you cant miss it. Manually turn the engine over a few times and you'll see it. I think thats TDC for the crank

13. 04-12-2010 08:25 PM #13
      The problem with the tab idea is that there are two tabs. one on each side of the 0. However I may have found the problem. Now is cylinder 1 on the side w/ the pulleys or on the side w/ the distributor? I just looked in my bentleys and it says that #1 is on the side w/ the drive pulleys which would mean that my order is completely off or ummm completely backwards. I was looking for this order over and over in the book and pass by it by accident.

Can anyone confirm that #1 cylinder is on the side w/ the timing belt?

Vehicles
      04-12-2010 08:31 PM #14
      Um I cant say for sure off the top of my head but I believe so. Check that mark on the distributor and put the cap back on follow the plug wire above the mark to the corresponding cylinder and thats #1

15. 04-12-2010 11:46 PM #15
      All has been fixed. Well sort of. My jetta starts. That's the first step. Anywho as you can see from my latest posts I have been questioning cylinder 1. As I'm sure you already know it's on the left facing the engine or the side with the pulleys. I thought it was on the other side b/c of the position after i changed the distributor cap. It turns our for the past two yrs I have had my distributor cap on backwards but with the wires in the correct order (well as far as i can tell). Now that i corrected it it didn't start. I switched the wires and everything started. Tomorrow I will test it to make sure that everything is fixed. I sure am glad that I didn't have to pull the heads off.

Thanks everyone for your help and i'll keep you updated as to what happens tomorrow when i get it on the road

Vehicles
      vw
      04-13-2010 01:33 AM #16
      Ha ha, I never make mistakes, I thought I did once but I was wrong!
      Good work. Now you can move on to the overcranking to start once warmed up

17. 04-17-2010 10:08 AM #17
      Alright well It's running like I said in my last post. As soon as i got it running it was running like a dream. Smooth, good response, no fluctuations in rpm at idle ect. Shortly there after I had an issue arose. When I am accelerating it will start to get jumpy. Mostly between 2-3k rpms and mainly when I hit the gas moderately hard. Not flooring it but where i want to accelerate at a reasonable speed. It kind of reminds me of what it feels like when you have bad wires. Those were changed recently so I know that's not the problem plus it's not exactly the same feeling.

This is the problem I felt before when I first got the car running after the pulley change and before I was on here trying to figure out why it wasn't running. I've also a similar issue when it was moist out although I think that problem is gone.

I'm wondering if my timing is off. When I compared the top of the compression stroke with the alignment mark on the flywheel I was unknowingly at the time using cylinder 4 (closest to the distributor) not 1. I assume they compress at the same time since it started. I was thinking it could be the coil since I didn't change it out b/c I wanted to save the 120 i paid for the new one but ended up putting it in. Either way that didn't work.

18. 05-04-2010 05:34 PM #18
      Well I figured it out. When I was under the hood and revving it I noticed that there was a spark coming from my wires to by engine block. The wires were new bosch but I guess they cracked during the installation. Either way they were under warranty and after I put the new set in everything works just fine. Thanks to everyone that helped.