VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red LED dome/map/footwell lights DIY How To FTW

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI mkVI 2.0T 6-spd
      03-22-2012 11:55 PM #71
      new link to the wedge ones for the footwells
      http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=337
      1999.5 Deep Black VW GTI mkIV 2.Slow 5-spd (traded-in) 2004-2012 R.I.P. <3
      2011 Deep Black Pearl VW GTI mkVI 2.0T 6-spd purchased 3/10/2012

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 11:51 AM #72
      Wedge LEDs for the footwells just came in, will post pics after install, thx again for the DIY

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      04-08-2012 10:54 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by TKE Mario View Post
      new link to the wedge ones for the footwells
      Thanks, I tweaked the original post.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:41 PM #74
      cellphone pics

plain factory white:

red LEDs

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:44 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by RobMan8023 View Post
      Thanks, I tweaked the original post.
      no prob, thx for the DIY, i loved doing this cheap mod and it looks great

Vehicles
      2012/GTI
      04-13-2012 07:53 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubdpa View Post
      Would anyone be able to confirm that these would work on the footwell light of a 2012 GTi

http://www.lightdepot.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=187

Thanks
      Did you ever find out the answer? I have the same question.

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      04-21-2012 12:59 AM #77
      i just replaced all including the trunk light w/ red LEDs. love it!
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 01:07 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
      Did you ever find out the answer? I have the same question.
      looks like you would have a difficult time fitting them in the housing, the wedge LEDs from LEDwholesalers were a flawless install and the pic i posted was only at 35% brightness which can be adjusted on the car comp

Vehicles
      2011 GTI autobahn with DSG, 2015 Audi A3 with DSG
      06-23-2012 10:00 PM #79
      Since there doesn't seem to be any pics of the DIY I thought I would add my own for those that need help or just to save you time. I bought my LED's from Ledwholesalers.com and with shipping the 7 LED's cost $20. The install shouldn't take you more then 20 min. Just make sure you have a torx 20 screwdriver and a trim removal tool. I purchased a set from harbor freight for $6. It is the exact same set as ECS and its half the cost. On to the the DIY.

First remove the microphone grill by using your trim removal tool. there are a few retaining clips and once you have a few undone you can just use your hand to remove the rest of the piece.

Then use the torx 20 screwdriver and remove the two bolts that I have circled in red.

Then using a small flat head screw driver or your trim tool release the two white clips I have circled in red

Just let the assembly hang by the wires. It isn't heavy and removing the wires could possibly throw a code

Then give each bulb a quarter turn. They are attached to black knobs in the front of the assembly

Remove the bulb from the black socket. The push the LED's into the black sockets. The LED's have solder on both sides so you shouldn't have a connection issue. Be gentle when putting them in as the circuit board is fragile. There isn't much resistance though.

They should now look like this.

Now put the LED's back into the light assembly and re install the screws be gentle with the clips so you don't break anything.

I also did the back seat lights which is even simpler. Again just use the trim tool to remove the plastic cover

You can pull the bulbs directly out, they are not attached to the black sockets like the bulbs in the front of the car.

12 13

Then just install the LED's and re-install the cover. I did the foot well lights as well but they pissed me off so i didn't take any pics. They were easy to remove from the car but the retaining clips where extremely tight and I just ended up using a very small tipped flat head screwdriver to remove the metal housing from the clear plastic as the retaining clips wouldn't budge. . Also be sure to unplug these lights as the metal will get quite hot while you are trying to pull them out and they will always be on since your door will be open.
      Last edited by bcjc78; 06-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI
      08-12-2012 12:01 AM #80
      Did anyone end up changing the LEDs for the vanity, glove box & trunk as well?

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      RS '12 2D Golf
      08-13-2012 03:09 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Shox Boy View Post
      Did anyone end up changing the LEDs for the vanity, glove box & trunk as well?
      YUP! Found the glove box to be a major pain for me since I couldn't get enough leverage to pop the thing out. Eventually it did though without breaking anything.

Used the same LEDs from ledwholesalers that everyone has been linking. Both the glove box and trunk lights have connector you disconnect to make it easier for you to remove the module and swap out the bulbs. Kinda like the footwell light modules.

Since the trunk and glove box lights come up when you pop open either one they are a bit hot too so watch out heh

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 07 Buell Lightning XB9SX
      08-19-2012 05:17 PM #82
      I wanted to buy some of those red LEDs, but LED wholesalers only has them in white and blue, does anyone have an alternate bulb that will work just as well?
      2012 GTI Build Thread

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4DR 6MT
      08-21-2012 02:42 PM #83
      Does anyone have a copy of these pics? or another walk-though? These pics aren't loading for me. Looking for instructions on swapping the footwell lighting.
      Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by sjjaskow View Post
      I've got some pics of the install process on the passenger side.

Step 1: Set the Mood.

Step 2: Remove the stupid looking red brake light tape.

Step 3: Unplug the cord. This can be a PITA because first you must remove the three T15 screws holding the bottom of the glove box tight to the dash (doing this just gives you more wiggle room), then you need to somehow either get your fingers on both sides of the plug and squeeze and pull, or do like I did which was to finangle an allen wrench up in there, unlock the hard to reach side of the plug, then do the other with my finger and pull the plug out. If you've had the lights on recently, their metal housing will be very HOT. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Step 4: In order to get the light housing out, you will need to push down on the entire assembly on the outside, streetward side of the housing. If you feel around you should notice this tab looking thing in the following pic--push down on that side. It should pop out quickly. When doing this on the driver's side, it comes out more difficultly but you can release the entire OBDII Port housing w/light housing bit and altogether its less painful since you won't be so contorted.

Step 5: Using the same picture as Step 4, carefully pry the metal housing off the plastic light cover. I used those little precision flathead screwdrivers as my pry tools. There are 4 tabs on the long sides, and a slot on another. Just mess around with it and you should see how they come apart.
      Step 6: It should look like the next picture now. Push the lightbulb out of the metal housing, and slip the LED in. As the OP noticed this might not work or it might throw a code if put in wrong, but both mine work and I just kinda threw them in any which way.

Step 7: Reassemble everything and it looks like this! Yay. If it doesn't light up right away, close and reopen a door to reactivate the lights. Then start checking your MFD settings and try turning on your headlights. If your footwells never worked before, then they probably won't work now still.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta TDI GLS 5MT
      08-21-2012 03:09 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock1988 View Post
      I wanted to buy some of those red LEDs, but LED wholesalers only has them in white and blue, does anyone have an alternate bulb that will work just as well?
      Yeah I would like to see all of these LED bulbs but in bright white... the red looks to dim for me, I would like it brighter than stock, not dimmer. Anyone who has swapped OEM for LED Wholesaler White LED, please post pics

15. Member
      08-21-2012 09:01 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by sjjaskow View Post
      I just did the other 5 lights today. The Torx screws that I encountered took a T-15 size head. The overhead LEDs were seriously easy to install, it took me only 10-15 min for all 5. I could post pictures if you guys want, but it is incredibly easy.
      For front panel lights:
      1) take a thin prybar or one of those extremely fine flathead screwdrivers and pop out the panel just forward of the sunglass box. It only works if you start from the sides or rear. The front side has longer tabs which act almost like a hinge.
      2) After removing the access panel take a T15 torx bit and remove the two screws. The next part seems loose but still attached. There are two tabs on the aft side of the panel that release easily if you just pull down on the entire structure. After these tabs are released the entire front panel will come down and hangs by the various cables.
      3) I used a pair of needlenose pliers, but remove the two lights by twisting the entire black structure out. Pull the bulbs out of the black seats, put two LEDs back in.
      4) reinsert twist frames
      5) check functionality on lights
      6) reassemble

Back

1) using fingers pop off light cover
      2) using fingers pull out lights
      3) put LEDs back in
      4) check function
      5) put cover back on

Really easy guys.
      EASY would be popping out the existing bulbs and popping the same number of LEDs into the very same receptacles!
      Partner: 2012 Passat SEL 2.5L, 2000 Audi A6 (non-Quattro), 1996 Audi A4 (non-Quattro)

Me: 1995 Passat GLX VR6, 1987 Jetta GL, 1985 Jetta GL

16. 08-22-2012 12:53 AM #86
      I just emailed the company about the red ones. If I hear anything, I'll post back.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 01:40 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by whozurdaddy View Post
      I just emailed the company about the red ones. If I hear anything, I'll post back.
      I also emailed them last week, I haven't heard anything yet either.
      2012 GTI Build Thread

18. 08-22-2012 04:46 AM #88
      I found this...looks promising. If you scroll to the bottom, they offer red for an extra $3.

http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...roducts_id=660

Does anybody have any experience with this company/product?

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      08-22-2012 09:55 AM #89
      Some pics of mine from LED Wholesalers....

Cool white LED's and 6K festoons (where applicable), Red Footwells set to 30% or so I think:

Footwells only:

Domes too:

From outside:

Difference between stock light and LED:
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

20. 08-22-2012 10:26 AM #90
      Thanks for your illustrated step by step procedures. Very helpful. Anyone here have DIY replacing their puddle lights. I heard You have to either rip your mirror cover or mirror off in order to get to the bulbs. Can someone confirm? Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bcjc78 View Post
      Since there doesn't seem to be any pics of the DIY I thought I would add my own for those that need help or just to save you time. I bought my LED's from Ledwholesalers.com and with shipping the 7 LED's cost $20. The install shouldn't take you more then 20 min. Just make sure you have a torx 20 screwdriver and a trim removal tool. I purchased a set from harbor freight for $6. It is the exact same set as ECS and its half the cost. On to the the DIY.

First remove the microphone grill by using your trim removal tool. there are a few retaining clips and once you have a few undone you can just use your hand to remove the rest of the piece.

Then use the torx 20 screwdriver and remove the two bolts that I have circled in red.

Then using a small flat head screw driver or your trim tool release the two white clips I have circled in red

Just let the assembly hang by the wires. It isn't heavy and removing the wires could possibly throw a code

Then give each bulb a quarter turn. They are attached to black knobs in the front of the assembly

Remove the bulb from the black socket. The push the LED's into the black sockets. The LED's have solder on both sides so you shouldn't have a connection issue. Be gentle when putting them in as the circuit board is fragile. There isn't much resistance though.

They should now look like this.

Now put the LED's back into the light assembly and re install the screws be gentle with the clips so you don't break anything.

I also did the back seat lights which is even simpler. Again just use the trim tool to remove the plastic cover

You can pull the bulbs directly out, they are not attached to the black sockets like the bulbs in the front of the car.

12 13

Then just install the LED's and re-install the cover. I did the foot well lights as well but they pissed me off so i didn't take any pics. They were easy to remove from the car but the retaining clips where extremely tight and I just ended up using a very small tipped flat head screwdriver to remove the metal housing from the clear plastic as the retaining clips wouldn't budge. . Also be sure to unplug these lights as the metal will get quite hot while you are trying to pull them out and they will always be on since your door will be open.

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      08-22-2012 10:46 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by pker View Post
      Thanks for your illustrated step by step procedures. Very helpful. Anyone here have DIY replacing their puddle lights. I heard You have to either rip your mirror cover or mirror off in order to get to the bulbs. Can someone confirm? Thanks guys.
      There is a thread on that somewhere, search and you'll probably find it - but yes, you need to turn your mirror inside out to do it. But it's not that bad...
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

22. 08-23-2012 01:22 AM #92
      I just got an email from the company:

hi, we sold out of the RED, but should be back next week.

Best Regards,

Wayne Wong
      I guess we'll have to wait and see

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 02:41 AM #93
      I just got an email from the company:

I guess we'll have to wait and see
      Good to hear, I will buy enough red ones for my entire car when they come in.
      2012 GTI Build Thread

Vehicles
      2012 stg2 GTI, 2008 mitsu EVOX, 2009 GSXR 1000 with a wet shot. IG: GTI_zks
      08-28-2012 01:36 PM #94
      still no reds?! or am i just blind i knew i should have bought them right away. I REALLY like the super white Dome/RED footwell look. but i think im going to do red on red

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4DR 6MT
      08-28-2012 03:13 PM #95
      I was waiting for LED Wholesalers to get them in, but grew impatient and ordered from superbrightleds.com
      I put them in the other day and they look great, seem to be plenty bright, and had no issues fitting, I ordered:

2 | WLED-xHP6-AC: 194 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 4.95 |
      WLED-RHP6-AC: Red

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 BGM Golf 2.5L
      08-28-2012 03:59 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by pker View Post
      Anyone here have DIY replacing their puddle lights. I heard You have to either rip your mirror cover or mirror off in order to get to the bulbs. Can someone confirm? Thanks guys.
      I plan to take on these projects. I just need some appropriate tools

Side view mirror puddle lights DIY:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ion&p=78127716

Golf R but should be the same right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...t_10402wt_1163

Door warning/puddle lights DIY:
      http://www.mk6golfgti.co.uk/forum/in...pic,124.0.html
      http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...rning%20Lights

Footwell retrofit:
      Also for anyone dumb enough to buy extra LEDs for footwell lights that don't exist in your base model (raises hand ):
      http://www.bold-sport.com/store/inde...product_id=131

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 BGM Golf 2.5L
      08-28-2012 04:06 PM #97
      This is the wiring that Bold Sport provides for front and rear footwell lighting

It's just a giant daisy chain so it looks like routing the wiring should be the hardest part.

28. 09-02-2012 04:00 AM #98
      Since the other site still doesn't have them in stock, I think I'll give these a try:

http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-5-...led-light.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with them?

29. 09-05-2012 01:06 AM #99
      The RED LED's are back in stock at LEDwholesalers!!!

Vehicles
      09-05-2012 05:36 AM #100
      I just ordered 8 of them! (couple extra, just in case)
      2012 GTI Build Thread

31. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4Dr 6MT
      09-05-2012 07:58 AM #101
      Same here ... (8) on order !!! If you're looking to order "red" also, better get on it. Their inventory level is showing (90) remaining in stock after my order.

32. 09-05-2012 02:38 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by einy View Post
      Same here ... (8) on order !!! If you're looking to order "red" also, better get on it. Their inventory level is showing (90) remaining in stock after my order.
      Not sure their inventory numbers are accurate. When I made my previous post, there were 98 in stock. Then I bought 10 of them lol

Either way, get them while they last!

33. 09-08-2012 11:17 PM #103
      So my lights shipped yesterday which means I got them today. I guess it pays to live in the same state

bcjc78, you were absolutely right! The install was really simple. I was a bit hesitant at the beginning with the clips, but after I got over that fear, things went smoothly. I think it took me about 15-20 minutes to do this, and that was for someone who had never used a trim removal tool before. Excellent writeup and thank you

Vehicles
      09-08-2012 11:44 PM #104
      So my lights shipped yesterday which means I got them today. I guess it pays to live in the same state

bcjc78, you were absolutely right! The install was really simple. I was a bit hesitant at the beginning with the clips, but after I got over that fear, things went smoothly. I think it took me about 15-20 minutes to do this, and that was for someone who had never used a trim removal tool before. Excellent writeup and thank you
      My lights just arrived today too! I am about to head out into the garage and put them all in! I CANT WAIT
      2012 GTI Build Thread

35. 09-09-2012 12:58 AM #105
      My lights just arrived today too! I am about to head out into the garage and put them all in! I CANT WAIT
      Good luck! Are you doing the footwell lights as well? I'm tackling those tomorrow when there's more light

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast