VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

RNS-510 (NAV) vs RCD-500 (Premium 7) Sat radio setups

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bbdeutschland 
#1 ·
So I plan on upgrading my premium 7 radio in my Tiguan to the RNS-510 Navigation unit. I've read that the RNS-510 has a built in Sirius tuner. I thought the premium 7 also had a built in Sirius tuner, but yesterday I noticed that under the passenger seat is a box with the Sirius label on it.
Does the premium 7 unit have an external Sirius tuner? Do people with the NAV unit in their Tig also have this Sirius box under the passenger seat mounted to the floor (or other location for other models)? When I swap out head units can I remove the Sirius box under the seat, or does the NAV unit also need this?
Answers to any of the above questions would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
Re: RNS-510 (NAV) vs RCD-500 (Premium 7) Sat radio setups (D-Caf)

I replaced the original nav in my R32, the MFD 2 one, which also used the external sirius tuner under the passenger seat. The new RNS 510 unit does not need the external one, i believe you can use it if you would like but the RNS 510 does have its own. Which presents a new problem since the old sirius antenna will go to the passenger seat instead of to the dash. So you will need to run a new sirius antenna.

#3 ·
Re: RNS-510 (bbdeutschland)

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can just use the external one until I can get an antenna extension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.