Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hood lock / hood won't lock tight

Vehicles
      '06 GTI
      04-16-2010 02:14 PM #1
      i've searched, i've slammmed, i bought a new latch, i compared another GTI side by side and saw no difference.

if i slam it the safety latch it bends out and won't grab the hook on the hood. i pulled the lock up as high as it will go, the rubber stops were removed, i put washers behind the lock to bring it foward, i tried adjusting the hood; all to no avail.

my 400-lb brother-in-law got it to lock tight but the hood was about a 1/4" lower then the fender. the hood will not lock tight.

please if anybody knows what is going on, HELP. what ways is the lock adjustable? i saw no adjustment myself, and the bentley doesn't tell you anything more then removing and installing.

this is a side view of where the lock bends out when i slam it. the rear of the hook get in there and bends it out rather then latching around it. that is why i put washers between the lock and the rad. core support.

this is how far down the hood has to go to lock

here you can see where the lock is contacting the hood, where it is not supposed to make contact

Modified by Hawaii5-0 at 8:15 AM 4-16-2010

Vehicles
      '06 GTI
      04-16-2010 02:44 PM #2
      ihavetoleaveforwork bump

Vehicles
      '06 GTI
      04-16-2010 11:02 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
      So, has the car always been like this or did some "event" start it happening?

no, it just didn't close one day.

anybody else have any ideas?

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 GLX
      04-16-2010 11:04 PM #4
      clearly your junk is bent. Have you tried large amounts of WD-40? My latch used to jam, it still does actually, you have to throw the hood from the highest point down or else it won't close.
      SixDigitClub
      (FiSHBOWLSTAtUS) ><(((*>
      Suede is Played
      ♥ Mila

Vehicles
      '06 GTI
      04-16-2010 11:22 PM #5
      i tried slamming it down, like a hundred times, it won't lock. we tried using a slide hammer to pull the hook down, doesn't move. i compared the hook with another from a GTI, and they are identical.

i have better luck pushing firmly on it then i do slamming it. the only thing is the rubber stops have to be taken out and the hood is not flush with the fender when i do get it to lock.

6. 04-17-2010 05:21 PM #6
      My did the same to me. Bought a new latch off of ebay.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Golf GTI 1.8T
      02-29-2012 09:51 PM #7
      Hi,

So I had this issue of my hood not latching all the way closed, no matter what we did it wouldn't work.
      I bought a new latch assy and installed it, worked fine for awhile, maybe 6 or 7 times then today it stopped, same problem! The hood looks to be aligned properly but I notice on the latch bar? on the hood there is a spot or 2 where paint is missing as tho something is not lining up properly.
      Anyone else seen this or a similar issue?
      Thanks!