VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong.

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  George@Fourtitude 
#1 ·

Inside Line has published a story this morning about the much-anticipated Audi RS 5. The piece, written by European contributor Matt Davis, says a product contact from quattro GmbH told them, "We have voted on it and the car is coming over definitely. But," he adds, "it will be more than a year out from the start of deliveries in Western Europe."
Based on this, we're assuming, Inside Line is projecting the car will be here by 2011. Matt goes further to provide background about considerations that surrounded the car in the choice to bring it over and theorizes on US pricing but lists no other reasoning for their time estimate.
What Do We Think?
Inside Line is wrong. Well, they're right and wrong. The RS 5 has been approved for North America but their timeframe is (unfortunately) too aggressive. The car won't be here that soon and our sources tell us it could be a full year after that based on high demand for the car in Europe and a planned MY2013 facelift planned for the entire A5/S5/RS 5 range.
Read more after the jump.
Full Story

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong. (George@Fourtitude)

Well I can't blame insideLine for being optimistic and quite reasonable actually. I think a year and half is more than enough time to bring over a car. Audi has a growing market share in the US and if there is interest in this car, then I think enthusiasts shouldn't even have to wait that long.
Hopefully Audi sees this as an opportunity and expands its quattro gmbh facility to produce more vehicles at a time.

#4 ·
Re: Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong. (George@Fourtitude)

I don't understand some of Audi's moves. I know the U.S. market is not the most profitable - but c'mon - the RS6, TT-RS and the RS5 should definitely be available here...even if only in small #'s. To me the expense is worth more than advertising dollars. I only don't see why their isn't going to be a RS4 sedan. BMW made the latest M3 to have four doors again - I'm sure in response to the C63 and the last RS4....so what gives now Audi??
I also can't imagine that they would have had to incur extra costs to split the production between the S-tronic and a proper manual transmission.... The TTRS has a manual and so does the R8.....not to mention the S5. Is it that they want to make back as much as possible on the development costs - so they want to sell only S-tronic?? The RS6 I can understand why not - but the RS5 SHOULD have a proper manual.

#5 ·
Re: Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong. (4000sfan)

to clarify my last comment - even though they confirmed the RS5 will come - I think they are taking too long.
The other point I was making about bringing the RS cars (though I understand why not the Avants - even though I love them) is more effective than advertising dollars.
Mercedes and BMW owners of "lesser" cars will buy modifications (and remove badges) to their cars to make them look or sound like an AMG and M cars just because of the reputations those cars have. I have no doubt that increases revenue.
I see Audi cars that I low are lower market - de-badged and wearing S and RS wheels. Not to mention - many older Audi's are now retro-fitted with LED's to match the look of the new ones. I'm sure their Certified Pre-Owned market is doing well because of the factors I mentioned.
That's my rant for the day....

#6 ·
Re: Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong. (4000sfan)

No need to bring the car to North America if they can sell every single one they can manufacture to the more profitable European market.
The risk/reward for US introduction probably doesn't justify the move, just like an S3 or A5 Sportback doesn't at this time.

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by 4000sfan »
to clarify my last comment - even though they confirmed the RS5 will come - I think they are taking too long.
The other point I was making about bringing the RS cars (though I understand why not the Avants - even though I love them) is more effective than advertising dollars.
Mercedes and BMW owners of "lesser" cars will buy modifications (and remove badges) to their cars to make them look or sound like an AMG and M cars just because of the reputations those cars have. I have no doubt that increases revenue.
I see Audi cars that I low are lower market - de-badged and wearing S and RS wheels. Not to mention - many older Audi's are now retro-fitted with LED's to match the look of the new ones. I'm sure their Certified Pre-Owned market is doing well because of the factors I mentioned.
That's my rant for the day....

I'll try to address your points as best I understand them from Audi's perspective.
Bringing RS5 and TTRS to America is actually something that AoA has been fighting for. RS 5 is approved and TTRS is in the evaluation process. Why wait on RS 5? Well, you have a facelift coming and my guess is they'll wait for that. I've heard it's more extensive than the recent TT facelift that didn't affect TTRS at all. I can understand why Audi wouldn't go ahead and go through all of the Americanization it would take on the current car for just one year and then go through it all again with the new car.
Why no RS 4 sedan? Well first you have to understand with your BMW analogy that BMW sells twice as many cars in America. If Audi sold that many cars then there'd be more budget for these image builders. Even as it stands, lobbying for RS 5 and TTRS to overlap and with more models in the pipeline this is more aggressive than Audi has been in recent years and we'll see more of that as their success continues. Whether or not it is a profitable move for BMW to bring sedan, cabriolet and coupe remains to be seen.
As for DSG only, I don't agree with it but that is a world choice. All RS 5s worldwide get the new DSG. I prefer manuals but you look at the install rate on cars where both are offered (M3, 911, Ferrari) and the percentage of DSG keeps going up so I disagree more with the consumers buying those cars.

#8 ·

If AoA is indeed waiting for the facelift then that would put it at late 2011/early 2012 as a MY2012... the A5 has been out since late 2007. Any later than that would make the facelift run quite short for a 7 year life cycle.
MY08
MY09
MY10
MY11
MY12 Facelift
MY13
MY14

#10 ·

George - I appreciate you offering inside perspective. I am offering a fan perspective
- but still look at it from a business standpoint. As for the RS4 sedan.... being that all these cars are starting to use the same platform... shouldn't it be cheaper for bringing these variations to market? Do they really sell that many more Avants than sedans worldwide? What is the ratio for RS6 sedans vs. Avants? It's just hard for me to understand that decision.

#11 ·

I think the problem when you're talking about RS 5 versus RS 5 is cannibalization. This may not be that obvious a concern when you're talking manufacturing numbers for say A5 and A4 models but RS cars are a very limited production and it is theorized that RS 5 buyers are also the RS 4 buyers. For America there's simply no business case for both. RS 4 Avant is a different product but even less demand in the States much as the more hardcore Audi fans would want them.
BTW, I'm not saying my word is the be all end all or anything, simply passing along what I've been told or the logic as it's been explained to me.

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by George@Fourtitude »
I understand the the lifecycle model you posted but that's a guide not a rule. I'm going on what I hear from multiple inside sources.

George, are you saying that they will postpone the intro of the FL A5 to the my2013, thus making it good for 2 yrs only, or maybe extending the whole run to unprecedent 8 years (similar to the current A3 range)?
thanks

#13 ·
Re: Inside Line Says Audi RS 5 in USA by Sept 2011. We Say They're Wrong. (darkop)

I don't know the facelift's lifecycle length, only what I've learned about RS 5. That said, the rules may have changed. MLB (the new modular platform) is more components than it is a chassis. There's more flexibility and that's one reason A5, A4, and Q5 are all different wheelbases, widths and have different overhangs. In as much, the movement now from generation to generation may mean upgraded components rather than a new chassis. We're still learning the progression process but knowing what we know about the development of VW's new mid-sized sedan being readied for North American manufacture we're learning that there's plenty of flexibility and this could make for more rapid lifecycles or more expanded lifecycles for successful product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.