Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: InfiniteEcho's R32!

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      08-14-2010 12:26 PM #36
      congrats on the new job and being back in the game.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI (sold)
      08-14-2010 02:13 PM #37
      Coilovers

B&G's to be exact.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-14-2010 07:33 PM #38
      Ah, it's been too long. Lets see here...

I spent some money at HPA's site last week.

SHS Coils + Sport Haldex controller + switch. I was sad after reading the clunk thread, but they're assuring me that I won't have that issue as mine are going to be from a different batch where the issue has already been resolved. Those are coming directly from Germany so those won't be here for some time. I did however get some stuff from UPS today

I love the paddles. They make it so much easier to find the shifters in the corners.

The AWD controller gets install Friday. I am excited for that.

On a sad note though: 2 weeks ago I helped my gf get a great deal on a brand new fully loaded 2010 Jetta TDI to replace her stupid Prius. Today she was in an accident with it. Fortunately she is okay and so was the other person. There looks to be about 6K worth of damage to the front of the car. Spent all day getting that stuff sorted out with her. Hopefully it'll be good as new in less than 2 weeks. Didn't even have 800 miles on it.

4. 09-14-2010 08:34 PM #39
      I may have missed it. But, who is doing all your work in Boston? Pro-Spec?

Vehicles
      2008 R32
      09-14-2010 08:51 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      I may have missed it. But, who is doing all your work in Boston? Pro-Spec?
      I'm curious too. I noticed you have Rhode Island plates which puts you about 45mins south of Boston. I think Banchwerks is down there somewhere.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-14-2010 10:44 PM #41
      I am actually living 15 min north of Boston in Malden. Just not changed my plates over yet since I am moving to CA in a year or so. Not worth the MA RMV hassel.

I am getting all the work done at EastCoast European in Greenland, NH. It's a bit of a drive but the guys are awesome there. I got my GIAC ECU and DSG reflashes as well as some VAG-COM work.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend them to anyone looking to get work done in the greater Boston area.

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      09-15-2010 12:22 AM #42
      Also glad to see you getting back on your feet and back on the upgrade wagon!

Unfortunately I've had to take a break from upgrades myself as I am having my first "unplanned" experience with unemployment

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-15-2010 12:41 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by R3Drew View Post
      Also glad to see you getting back on your feet and back on the upgrade wagon!

Unfortunately I've had to take a break from upgrades myself as I am having my first "unplanned" experience with unemployment
      Yeah man, that is no fun. I was lucky that I have my own company that pays the bills and then some.

I am super cautious with my money, but it feels good to be able to spend without worry again.

Keep your head up though. There are more and more jobs or there.I was lucky enough to stumble into one that I love. I hope the same for you.
      Last edited by infiniteecho; 09-17-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-15-2010 01:02 AM #44
      Paddles are looking good!

I love mine.

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      09-15-2010 01:18 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by infiniteecho View Post
      Yeah man, that is no fun. I was lucky that I have my own company that pays the bills and then some.

I am super cautious with my money, but it feels good to be able to spend without worry again.

Keep your head up though. There are more and more jobs or there.I was lucky enough to stumble into one that I love. I how the same for you.
      I appreciate the kind words , I'll be back on the wagon soon too so no worries!

Vehicles
      2008 R32
      09-15-2010 01:30 AM #46
      Ah cool. yeah I myself drive up to concord, NH for all my work. So I am very familiar with 93N

12. 09-15-2010 08:55 AM #47
      In for pics and reviews once you get the HPA coilovers installed. I LOVE mine, but always like to see what others think of them.

Vehicles
      2008 UG .:R32 , 2011 Brown JSW TDI
      09-15-2010 10:32 AM #48
      Ah, it's been too long. Lets see here...

I spent some money at HPA's site last week.

SHS Coils + Sport Haldex controller + switch. I was sad after reading the clunk thread, but they're assuring me that I won't have that issue as mine are going to be from a different batch where the issue has already been resolved. Those are coming directly from Germany so those won't be here for some time.
      So let me get this straight. They know there is "an issue" with our coils. We did all that work for them. However, they have them FIXED now? Sooooo the customers that have been waiting almost a year to actually get this resolved are not being informed nor is our setup being replaced? REALLY? REALLY? F U HPA!

14. 09-15-2010 10:50 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by sareth View Post
      So let me get this straight. They know there is "an issue" with our coils. We did all that work for them. However, they have them FIXED now? Sooooo the customers that have been waiting almost a year to actually get this resolved are not being informed nor is our setup being replaced? REALLY? REALLY? F U HPA!
      Didn't you get that memo?

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-15-2010 10:56 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by -jakrbt- View Post
      Didn't you get that memo?
      Yea, we'll see if that is actually the case or if I am just being told that so I don't demand a refund...

I guess we'll know in a month or so.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      09-15-2010 12:09 PM #51
      Yea, we'll see if that is actually the case or if I am just being told that so I don't demand a refund...

I guess we'll know in a month or so.

Not to be a complete dick but HPA will tell you anything you want to hear to get your money

sad but true
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

17. 09-15-2010 12:24 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      Not to be a complete dick but HPA will tell you anything you want to hear to get your money

sad but true
      Actually, as much as I really love their products, this is pretty true. I waited for about 6 weeks to get my coils after I orderd them. Granted they have to come from the KW factory in Germany, but I never could get a straight answer until I got to the point where I was ready to cancel my order and spend the refunded money on B&G RS2's.

Glad I waited, though. Honestly, though, I'm not sure what clunking issue you guys are having, but I haven't experienced anything like that at all. Only issue I'm currently having is the damn rattles inside the car.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-15-2010 12:37 PM #53
      Glad I waited, though. Honestly, though, I'm not sure what clunking issue you guys are having, but I haven't experienced anything like that at all. Only issue I'm currently having is the damn rattles inside the car.
      Tell me about it. I am a huge stickler about rattles. I hate them more than anything and the R32 has plenty of them. I am chalking it up to it's a rather performance oriented car and even Lamborghinis have lots of rattles. Any time they really start getting to me, I drop a couple gears and weld the pedal to the floor. Instant smile.

19. 09-15-2010 12:47 PM #54
      Tell me about it. I am a huge stickler about rattles. I hate them more than anything and the R32 has plenty of them. I am chalking it up to it's a rather performance oriented car and even Lamborghinis have lots of rattles. Any time they really start getting to me, I drop a couple gears and weld the pedal to the floor. Instant smile.
      I'm a big music buff, so I almost always have my radio turned up. But because I'm a former service advisor, my ear has been trained to listen for rattles and noises, so I tend to hear them over everything else. Really pisses me off sometimes. Right now I've got one somewhere in the passenger rear quarter and I can't seem to locate where it's coming from without having someone else drive and me riding in the back seat searching for it. No one drives my car, either. Aside from that one, I've got the typical one that comes from the rear seat latch rubbing on the strikers. Fixable using felt tape, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-15-2010 12:58 PM #55
      I'm a big music buff, so I almost always have my radio turned up. But because I'm a former service advisor, my ear has been trained to listen for rattles and noises, so I tend to hear them over everything else. Really pisses me off sometimes. Right now I've got one somewhere in the passenger rear quarter and I can't seem to locate where it's coming from without having someone else drive and me riding in the back seat searching for it. No one drives my car, either. Aside from that one, I've got the typical one that comes from the rear seat latch rubbing on the strikers. Fixable using felt tape, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.
      I am too, and the problem is the R's stock stereo is terrible. I'd rather not listen to anything at all than to listen to music on it. Normally when I drive I have my gf in the car and she doesn't enjoy music much louder than talking volume anyway.

She has no say over how far I press the accelerator though!

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 03:58 PM #56
      Haldex controller in! Much better!

Race mode + 4300 rev Launch Control = win.

Really gets you back in your seat now! Left 4 little black stripes behind too.

Now, if only HPA would return my emails about when my coils will ship...

22. 09-17-2010 05:48 PM #57
      Haldex controller in! Much better!

Race mode + 4300 rev Launch Control = win.

Now, if only HPA would return my emails about when my coils will ship...
      Good luck with that one. In my experience, they're not too good at returning correspondences. I had that issue with them myself and ended up having to get pretty shi**y with them and threatening to cancel my order and going with something else.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 05:55 PM #58
      Good luck with that one. In my experience, they're not too good at returning correspondences. I had that issue with them myself and ended up having to get pretty shi**y with them and threatening to cancel my order and going with something else.
      They did reply today after a reminder. I have a little 'tool' that I can use that will automatically email someone until I get a reply. It ramps up pretty quickly / annoyingly.

Starts with 1 per 24 hours. After 24 hours of no reply it will send one per 12 hours, then per 6, 3, 1 and .5. It will continue to send reminders at the 30 min mark until it gets an ack. That'll get annoying pretty quickly if there is no reply.

I'll just enjoy my proper AWD now in the mean time.

I am also trying to decide which brakes I want to go with. I've had a couple people tell me to steer clear of the stuff from ECS as there has been no RnD done to make sure the brakes perform as well as they should be for the platforms they make their brake kits for. I was thinking of either Alcons or Stop Techs.

Any input? (Yes, I understand the stock brakes are great, won't see better braking unless I am at the track, etc etc, I want the look and the piece of mind that if I had to stop from 140 5x in a row for some reason, I could I am just looking for feed back on what works best with our cars and won't wreak havoc on the ABS and other systems.)

24. 09-17-2010 06:32 PM #59
      I want the look and the piece of mind that if I had to stop from 140 5x in a row for some reason, I could I am just looking for feed back on what works best with our cars and won't wreak havoc on the ABS and other systems.)
      I would love to see someone try to stop twice from 140 on the stock brakes, Overheat much?

The stock rotors are kinda soft and the pads over heat fast, mushy mushy. I put Zimmerman rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my car, I haven't personally taken it to a track but there are a few guys in the Seattle area that have this setup, and said there was an improvement in the overheating factor and didn't lose much if any braking distance,as a bonus they hardly dust. Just my $0.02

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-17-2010 08:14 PM #60

SRSLY?

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 08:19 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by PSU View Post
      SRSLY?
      Yea. It was awesome. Have you seen HPA's little Launch Control demo on their site? It was pretty much just like that.

One of the launches I had gotten my tires a little wet turning around and spun the front tires when I caught 2nd gear. I was shocked it could muster than kind of torque.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-17-2010 10:30 PM #62
      That's so bad***.

Since my suspension is done I want to concentrate on some power mods next.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 10:39 PM #63
      That's so bad***.

Since my suspension is done I want to concentrate on some power mods next.
      Suspension and brakes are next for me.

I've already ordered my coils like I said but now I am trying to decide what to do for brakes. The ECS Stage 3 and 5 kits are out because of the 0 RnD that went into them. They completely ef up the brake biases and actually increase stopping distances.

Plus they're the low-end calipers. The 5 are from the Cheyenne and the 3s are the heavy / cheap calipers from the base model Boxster.

I think I am going to end up with the stop techs: ST-60s for the fronts and ST-22s for the rears + park brake. Just need to find out what I need to do to make them clear my wheels.

PSU: Are you flashed yet? Your thread is too long and I am too lazy to look.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-17-2010 11:13 PM #64
      PSU: Are you flashed yet? Your thread is too long and I am too lazy to look.
      I am jealous of your build.

The overtime at work has been rolling steady so I've been free to spend as I please. Had a few holiday pays as well recently so I am loving life.

And LOL @ my thread being too long. For reference though, the Index at the top of the first page lists most of what I've done.

As for flash, I've been holding off. Almost bit both years at ToD on the C2 specials, but just haven't done it yet.

Edit: Do the Stop-Techs! Those and a set of custom wheels are in my future.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 11:26 PM #65
      The overtime at work has been rolling steady so I've been free to spend as I please. Had a few holiday pays as well recently so I am loving life.

And LOL @ my thread being too long. For reference though, the Index at the top of the first page lists most of what I've done.

As for flash, I've been holding off. Almost bit both years at ToD on the C2 specials, but just haven't done it yet.

Edit: Do the Stop-Techs! Those and a set of custom wheels are in my future.
      New job = car money. Echoservers pays all the bills. Best college project I ever did!

The flashes were expensive (about a grand for the GIAC files + install time) but completely worth it. Why the car didn't come like this stock is beyond me. The throttle response and mid range power is fantastic and the enhanced DSG feel is awesome. It's not kick you in the ass turbo type power, but it's more than noticeable for sure. I'll be at the ToD this coming year so I'll probably be twisting your arm to get it.

I didn't know there was an index of your car mods on the first page. I guess I should pay more attention.

The more I read about the Stop Techs the more I want them. Their RnD looks damn good. I really don't want to change over my wheels, especially since I have new tires on the current ones, but there is no way I am going to clear those without some major spacers. VB710s look like they would have plenty of space for massive calipers behind them. I think if I get them in gunmetal I won't have to worry about brake dust ever again! Too bad gunmetal on white doesn't do it for me.

I just hate to spend 5K on brakes and not be able to use them ... but at the same time I don't want to waste a perfectly good set of wheels and tires. Maybe I should just sell the stock wheels and new tires and go for it. Especially with some of the wheel deals that are going on currently. Decisions, decisions!

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-17-2010 11:42 PM #66
      New job = car money. Echoservers pays all the bills. Best college project I ever did!
      That's friggin' awesome.

Also, glad to hear that you will be attending ToD. We will have to have a or or . Haha.

It's also nice to see someone research all of their stuff before they go and blow their load on the first thing they see. I'm glad you mentioned that about the ECS big brake kit because I had no idea.

All I want to do for now are new rotors, pads, and the ATE blue fluid that I've had sitting in my garage forever now. Also some stainless lines and the Tyrol kit.

VMR makes a nice wheel... Since yours have new tires you could get a pretty penny for them. I think dubnick32 just sold his for just under a grand.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler, Golf R
      09-17-2010 11:55 PM #67
      That's friggin' awesome.

Also, glad to hear that you will be attending ToD. We will have to have a or or . Haha.

It's also nice to see someone research all of their stuff before they go and blow their load on the first thing they see. I'm glad you mentioned that about the ECS big brake kit because I had no idea.

All I want to do for now are new rotors, pads, and the ATE blue fluid that I've had sitting in my garage forever now. Also some stainless lines and the Tyrol kit.

VMR makes a nice wheel... Since yours have new tires you could get a pretty penny for them. I think dubnick32 just sold his for just under a grand.
      As soon as I bought my R the first thing I thought was, okay, *now* I am ready for The Dragon.

I've had my other cars in the past (Nissan Maximas) where I learned the hard way. My Infiniti G35 was the first car I ever had that was brand new and I did everything the right way and what a difference it made. I paid about the same (buying and re-buying crap parts on the Maximas, could have just bought the good parts the first time and been done with it.) and had the piece of mind that everything was top notch. So with this car, I'm going to spare no expense when it comes down to getting the right parts. It's no Audi R8 or Porsche GT3, but it is a rare and upscale car that deserves to be treated with the up-most respect. It would be a disservice to the R to buy cheap parts. If I were about that I'd be driving a WRX / Lancer of some kind.

The brake kit issue was actually brought to my attention by a friend of mine from the Audi world. I ran it past the guys I have do all the work on my car and they were in complete agreement. They would order them but not recommend them. They all run Alcon stuff on their cars and recommend them or Stop Tech over the ECS crap any day. The research looks to be pretty scientific that StopTech does: http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm I had a set of the 6 pot stoptechs on my G35 and they were awesome.

I can't speak for the brake stiffening kit, but SS lines make a world of difference. I had an R32 brake setup on my GLI with SS lines all around and what a braking make-over that was. Highly recommend SS lines whenever possible. I've never done SS lines without some kind of high performance brake fluid, in my mind they go hand in hand.

Ninja Edit: I need to get on the horn with VMR at some point next week and find out which wheels they recommend for clearing a BBK front and rear. I am hoping the 710's will do. Too bad the VB3s require 3mm spaces to clear the stock rears. I can't imagine that'll be too good if I want to go bigger in the back too.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-18-2010 12:05 AM #68
      Aw man, I hear you on that buying and re-buying crap. Some parts on my Honda have been bought, sold and repeated over and over again. Such a waste of $$$.

That's one of the reasons I haven't changed my brake fluid... I want to wait until I get the Tyrol kit and the SS lines. I think I am going to get some green lines from USP.

Red sway bar, yellow shocks, blue springs, and green brake lines all on a blue car.

34. 09-20-2010 08:46 AM #69
      Just a thought infinite.....but couldn't you just buy spacers to run the stock wheels with the BBK? Probably wouldn't take much. And it seems that an 8" wide wheel with +45 offset is the perfect size for the .:R to make it sit flush. So, you could probably go with like a 10mm spacer up front to clear the BBK and then maybe 15mm in the rear. Should work just fine.

Again, just a thought....

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      09-20-2010 08:56 AM #70
      The 710s should fit fine Echo; take a look at Zevion's build as that is what he is running with the Brembo BBK.
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast