Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011MY Phaeton World Premiere at Auto China 2010

1. 11-10-2011 05:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_Hippie View Post
      I'd buy in TDI phaeton LWB. if it was in the equus price range. However, I see VW living up the reputation and leaving another innovative model only for the europeans, leaving us with the mind numbing boring north american product.
      Unfortunately, when this "innovative model" was offered here starting at around $60K, it didn't sell. The rap then was while a very good car, too expensive for a VW, and too close to an Audi. I can't imagine them being able to sell the Phaeton in the Equus price range and therefore not selling any better than the first time around. I always liked the original Phaeton, but wished that VW offered the SWB version at a more VW-like price and leave the LWB and V12's to Audi. Don't know if it would have helped sales, but I think it would have been a better starting point. But then there's still the badge whoring to overcome.

11-14-2011 12:49 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Unfortunately, when this "innovative model" was offered here starting at around $60K, it didn't sell. The rap then was while a very good car, too expensive for a VW, and too close to an Audi. I can't imagine them being able to sell the Phaeton in the Equus price range and therefore not selling any better than the first time around. I always liked the original Phaeton, but wished that VW offered the SWB version at a more VW-like price and leave the LWB and V12's to Audi. Don't know if it would have helped sales, but I think it would have been a better starting point. But then there's still the badge whoring to overcome.
      I totally agree, In Canada the phaetons were fetching $100k new, too close to Audi A8. I can't see VW bringing the phaeton any time soon especially at this point economily. I just see VW selling out their german soul in north america to make a buck. The hope is VW doesn't completely sell out their product line and make all their cars into north americian aimed crap models. I absolutley hate the north americian jetta and passat - they are more japanese than german. The rumour I've been hearing is tiguan might be next victim of vw americanizing sh$t. I can't really blame the brand whores when VW puts out crap like the jetta and passat. I'm hoping Audi comes with A4 TDI then there's still hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12