Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011MY Phaeton World Premiere at Auto China 2010

1. 05-10-2010 10:59 AM #26
      I think it has a very classy look, although I also must agree that designers were to conservative in it... Very regular lines...without the edginess that you would expect from a flagship

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI , '79 Super Beetle, '98 911 Coupe, '05 Subi OB XT
      05-16-2010 08:15 AM #27
      Nice enough the VW Phaeton, having driven a 4.2V8 model car at length I keep asking why? For starters the Audi A8 weighs less. What does it say about a halo product when failing miserably in North America? Ok,,, that's not fair; My .02 is the N. American market Phaeton failure sits largely at the door step of VW Germany. Can you say dream world....these guy's??? Christ!! Don't get me wrong VW America is equally screwed up in its role as a distribution organization - but thats going to morph somewhat when the completed TN plant and its production account for $something$. I'm curious as how much of the TN production ends up in China...

P.S., Oh,,, The Phaeton refreash looks good no? Hey what-a I know, my MY98 911 coupe doors/glass/roof panels fit a MY66 911 coupe. Now that's a refresh evolution....

Great cars the VW's .... I've owned and own a few.
      Last edited by 1998993C2S; 05-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI , '79 Super Beetle, '98 911 Coupe, '05 Subi OB XT
      05-16-2010 09:03 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ndccpf1 View Post
      Hyundai brings in the Genesis sedan (and coupe in related name) and now are about to bring us the Equus.

So F'in true! Go drive a Genesis sedan, I dare ya. It's a BIG value play and a nice automobile to boot! Watched a business "round table" discussion TV program where the N. American CEO of Hyundai was a participant. He's came off as a sharp dude running an, on-the-move organization... Kudo's!

Vehicles
      Early Bus 56,Rado G60 and Golf MK4 Variant
      10-06-2011 09:43 AM #29
      Hi-Class

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK VI Golf TDI
      10-12-2011 04:36 PM #30
      I'll tell you what, this looks as good for the modern time as the previous Phaeton did in IT'S day...based on the looks I would definitely consider it if they changed some of the interior accents, like replace the chunky prev-generation Touareg shift stalk for something a little sleeker, while still bold and definitive to match VW's new corporate culture...or, Audi A8 anyone?

6. 10-12-2011 06:25 PM #31
      Could've been worse, but I still think the original was/is a beautiful car that really didn't need a refreshing.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg Edition
      10-13-2011 03:50 PM #32
      that interior is fly

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta
      11-04-2011 11:45 AM #33
      I love these cars I think they are pure ****ing luxury, killer interior, nice styling and I bet the drive is out of this world.
      She said What?

9. 11-08-2011 06:52 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by rexxmann View Post
      It's a good looking car, but it's a bit conservative for a "flagship". I'm sure it has more presence in person but the CC and the Passat are both more extroverted designs.
      The same can be said about respective cars from BMW, MB and Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxmann View Post
      I'm still not sure I follow the marketing strategy behind the Phaeton (besides just helping to raise VW brand image). If it's priced around the A8, then it is likely to canabalize sales. The only strategy I can see would be to price it as a value/content competitor for BMW 5 and MB E-class. Take a page from Hyundai and the Genesis.

Modified by rexxmann at 1:33 AM 5-3-2010
      The strategy is this: You have 2 main competitors, the MB S class and BMW 7 series. The MB skews more towards luxury than the BMW, and the BMW skews more towards sport than the MB. VAG has the Audi A8 which can compete more directly with the BMW, while the Phaeton can take on the MB S. If VAG loses an A8 sale to VW, they still get the $$, worse would be losing a sale to another competitor.

11-09-2011 04:55 PM #35
      I'd buy in TDI phaeton LWB. if it was in the equus price range. However, I see VW living up the reputation and leaving another innovative model only for the europeans, leaving us with the mind numbing boring north american product.

11. 11-10-2011 05:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by VW_Hippie View Post
      I'd buy in TDI phaeton LWB. if it was in the equus price range. However, I see VW living up the reputation and leaving another innovative model only for the europeans, leaving us with the mind numbing boring north american product.
      Unfortunately, when this "innovative model" was offered here starting at around $60K, it didn't sell. The rap then was while a very good car, too expensive for a VW, and too close to an Audi. I can't imagine them being able to sell the Phaeton in the Equus price range and therefore not selling any better than the first time around. I always liked the original Phaeton, but wished that VW offered the SWB version at a more VW-like price and leave the LWB and V12's to Audi. Don't know if it would have helped sales, but I think it would have been a better starting point. But then there's still the badge whoring to overcome.

11-14-2011 12:49 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Unfortunately, when this "innovative model" was offered here starting at around $60K, it didn't sell. The rap then was while a very good car, too expensive for a VW, and too close to an Audi. I can't imagine them being able to sell the Phaeton in the Equus price range and therefore not selling any better than the first time around. I always liked the original Phaeton, but wished that VW offered the SWB version at a more VW-like price and leave the LWB and V12's to Audi. Don't know if it would have helped sales, but I think it would have been a better starting point. But then there's still the badge whoring to overcome.
      I totally agree, In Canada the phaetons were fetching $100k new, too close to Audi A8. I can't see VW bringing the phaeton any time soon especially at this point economily. I just see VW selling out their german soul in north america to make a buck. The hope is VW doesn't completely sell out their product line and make all their cars into north americian aimed crap models. I absolutley hate the north americian jetta and passat - they are more japanese than german. The rumour I've been hearing is tiguan might be next victim of vw americanizing sh$t. I can't really blame the brand whores when VW puts out crap like the jetta and passat. I'm hoping Audi comes with A4 TDI then there's still hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12