Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to change the turn signal bulb?

1. 04-22-2010 04:34 PM #1
      Hey guys, I have a 2001 new passat glx 4 motion, the front blinker bulb on the passenger side went out due to a hit-n-run, I went to a body shop and the ppl there said they need to take the frot bumper and the headlight out to reach the blinker bulb, and it requires about 1 hour on labor which means 90 bucks, that sounds pretty expensive for just a dead bulb. Do you have any good ideas on how to change it?

Thanks!

2. 04-22-2010 08:45 PM #2
      really? On my 99- a B5- you just open the hood, remove the air intake ( it pops out from the breather box and from the grill where it attaches) and release the little white ring( spring loaded) which holds the headlight from popping out and then remove the bulb/wiring from the headlight assembly. Pop it out, pop in the new one and reverse the procedure.
      Just be careful as the spring clip has a tendency to snap or break if it is old ( such as on a 2001).
      One word of caution. Be sure that the spring clip is firmly re attached to where you removed it from otherwise the headlight is free to pop out on one good pothole or bump. I lost one like that a year ago because I rushed the reinstall procedure and did not secure it all the way. A $49 lesson learned later!

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-22-2010 09:59 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by HAIFENG »
      Hey guys, I have a 2001 new passat glx 4 motion...

When you say "new" perhaps you mean the 2001.5 B5.5 body with the chrome everywhere? if so, the bulb removal is a bit different - but the bumper still doesn't have to come off.

Vehicles
      97 GlX, B5.5 4 doors & a big ol' ass, 2013 CW Jetta SE
      04-23-2010 09:38 AM #4
      depending on your hand size you may need to get the airbox out of the way, you probably don't neet to pull it all the way out but whatever works for you.

The bulb carrier is a 1/8 turn, no wires attached to it, contacts are built into the face and the housing. Remember which way it was when you pulled it out because it has 3 tabs and they have to go back in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by zerovdub View Post
      I have a welder. We can make it fit! No extra charge!
      SYNDICATE - PROTECH MOTORSPORTS - DieselGeek - Klutchonline 7-9-10 - 8380Labs

5. 04-23-2010 01:51 PM #5
      yea, it's a B5.5 passat. I'll try to remove the air intake 1st and see if I can do something. I don't believe it either that I need to take off the bumper just to change a blinker bulb..

Modified by HAIFENG at 10:59 AM 4-23-2010

6. 04-23-2010 03:12 PM #6
      If this is the bulb in the main headlight you can also access from the wheel well - there is a plastic cover you can remove and then reach in and remove the light bulb holder (has a long plastic shaft that you can use to rotate and the entire component with bulb comes out).

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-23-2010 09:42 PM #7
      I thought these were like the b5 a4? isn't there just 2 torque bolts on top and two behind the headlight and then you slide out the headlight?
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta 5 Speed | Apr Stage 2 | Stage 1 Clutch + 14lb flywheel | Neuspeed Short Shifter | 3" turboback exhaust | Forge 007 | Forge TIP | Eurojet Discharge piping | Sidemount | Eurojet pcv hoses | Blackforest Stage 1 Mounts | Raceland Coilovers | Newsouth Boost Gauge | Neuspeed P-Flo | 4 Pot Brembos

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Passat W8
      04-24-2010 05:30 AM #8
      I have changed all the bulbs in both of my lamps except for the HID (W8) and I have considerably less room than you. I was able to do so without removing the lamps themselves. I will say that after contorting my arm and wrist and having to feel around for everything because its just not possible to see with your hand in there that I now remove the front bumper no matter which bulb it is. The bumber cover is super easy to remove. Pop out your grille and you can then access all of the screws. I usually change my oil in the process since you have to remove the splash guard under the engine. Dont forget the screws in the wheel liner that hold part of the wheel liner as well as the back edge of the bumper cover. It takes less than 30 mins to remove the entire bumper after youve done it once. If you have fog lamps then disconnect the lead before you go to slide the bumper off, it will just be easier that way. I guess I am just trying to say do whatever works for you but dont be afraid of that bumper. Once you jump that hurdle you will see it doesnt take much to get to the radiator and all those pumps and alternators behind it. It will open you up to saving yourself alot of labor charges.

-David

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      04-24-2010 09:26 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Brightgolf »
      I thought these were like the b5 a4? isn't there just 2 torque bolts on top and two behind the headlight and then you slide out the headlight?

No. The earlier Passat B5 models were like that, but the 2001.5 (B5.5) redesign made it necessary to take off the bumper cover to remove the headlights. Rather silly, IMHO. However, the OP should still be able to to change the bulbs without pulling the headlights.

10. 04-27-2010 04:12 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by oceanengineer »
      If this is the bulb in the main headlight you can also access from the wheel well - there is a plastic cover you can remove and then reach in and remove the light bulb holder (has a long plastic shaft that you can use to rotate and the entire component with bulb comes out).

Yea, that's how I got it done, I realized that I couldn't reach the blinker bulb from the bonnet, then I started to look around then I found the plastic cover on the wheel well, I removed the cover and put my hand in, took the blinker bulb seat out, it turned out to be just a losen connection, the bulb is ok, maybe it was losened after the hit-n-run, I put it back in, and it works fine

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Jetta Gli, 2003 Passat 18t Wagon
      06-22-2012 05:04 PM #11
      If it is like my 2003 B5.5:

First of all there doesn't seem to be that much information on this particular fix, so if you are searching here's how to replace the bulb:
      1) Turn the wheels as far as they will go in the direction of the bulb you are trying to replace.
      2) Look on the front side of the wheel well and you will see an oval plastic access cover. Remove it by prying the edges carefully with a large screwdriver.
      3) Carefully reach forward through the hole. You need small hands and be careful not to cut your fore arms on the sheet metal. I find it easiest to manipulate if you can reach in with your hand upside down while standing on the front side of the wheel facing toward the rear of the car and bending your arm back.
      4) At some point you should feel a finned piece of plastic that is the backside of the bulb holder.
      5) Twist the fin about a quarter-turn counterclockwise and pull it carefully out.
      6) If the bulb falls out of the holder and down into the housing as you are pulling it out, curse like a sailor.
      6a) If the bulb has fallen out and into the headlight, get a shop vac with the crevice tool attached and a piece of half inch PVC pipe about 18 inches long. Put the pipe inside the crevice tool and turn on the vacuum. Slowly move the PVC piece into the headlight access hole and down into the headlight assembly. Allow the suction to pick up the bulb (you can view your progress through the headlight). Slowly and carefully withdraw the PVC pipe from the headlight assembly, and the bulb should be suctioned to the end of the pipe. If it falls out try again, you will eventually get it.
      7) Remove the old bulb by pulling it out of the holder.
      8) Remove any tarnish on the contacts with emery paper or a small file. Coat the contacts of the new bulb with dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion and insert into bulb holder.
      9) Carefully insert the bulb holder with the new bulb into the housing. You will have to feel where the plastic tabs engage the housing. Give it a quarter-turn clockwise to lock it in place.
      10) Pull gently on the fin to see that it is locked in place.
      11) Push the plastic access cover back into place until it snaps in. Ensure that it is securely in place by gently trying to lift the edge. If it falls out too easily it won't stay in place as you are driving. This piece has a tendency to distort with age, and it may not snap securely. You can either purchase a new oval access cover (VW Part Number: 3B0809967 approx. $15 at 1stvwparts.com), or you can simply split a piece of duct tape and fold it over the entire edge of the snap feature on the back of the cover. This makes it thicker, so that the plastic on the wheel well is better able to hold it.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      06-22-2012 06:52 PM #12
      Mike, you realize you're replying to a two-year-old thread? I expect they've figured it out by now...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Jetta Gli, 2003 Passat 18t Wagon
      06-27-2012 11:54 PM #13
      Fully realized, but I thought I might supply information that seems to be lacking on this website.

14. 11-21-2012 07:14 AM #14
      This forum has helped me immensely. Thank You.
      Mikes post helped me. Thanks Mike