Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Projekt Haus II

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      04-25-2010 12:01 AM #1
      Our 12 month+ planning for extending/renovating our house is getting closer to starting. We have a modest 3br butterfly roof house that was built in 1958 and we want to honour the style of the time, but with a modern twist.

One of the things we would like to do is reuse our old kitchen vents and door handles. We should be right with the circular vents, although if anyone knows of any spares we would love to know about them, but what we do need help with is sourcing some cabinet handles as shown in the pic below.

We need at least four in the kicthen (we only have two), but if we could get more then we might be able to use them elsewhere (laundry, robes etc). So, if you have an old house with handles like this that you are about to rip apart (or know someone who does) then please raid the doors first!

Once they're cleaned up they should look a treat.

2. Senior Member
      04-25-2010 12:15 AM #2
      Ikea makes the best kitchen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

3. 04-25-2010 12:18 AM #3
      I have no idea how anyone affords a house in Australia, let alone renovations as well. Especially on $106k p.a.

Seriously, scraping together 20% for deposit and costs just doesn't seem like something I will ever be able to do in this country, let alone the ongoing payments. It's a joke, and it seems as though it's only achievable with 2 incomes.

Detroit, on the other hand...

Modified by Super 180s at 4:00 PM 4-25-2010

4. 04-25-2010 01:01 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Lima »
      Our 12 month+ planning for extending/renovating our house is getting closer to starting. We have a modest 3br butterfly roof house that was built in 1958 and we want to honour the style of the time, but with a modern twist.

One of the things we would like to do is reuse our old kitchen vents and door handles. We should be right with the circular vents, although if anyone knows of any spares we would love to know about them, but what we do need help with is sourcing some cabinet handles as shown in the pic below.

We need at least four in the kicthen (we only have two), but if we could get more then we might be able to use them elsewhere (laundry, robes etc). So, if you have an old house with handles like this that you are about to rip apart (or know someone who does) then please raid the doors first!

Once they're cleaned up they should look a treat.

Any decent machine shop should be able to 3D scan and mill some replica handles for you, if you like them that much.

5. 04-25-2010 01:23 AM #5
      iI've just done a heap of renovation work and about to recommence. You can get handles as near as damnit to that new, I've just forgotten the name of the company. When I remember I will post back.

Kethy Hardware.

However the website doesn't show any similar, but I am sure I've seen them in Keeler hardware at Willoughby.

Modified by Stifflers Mom at 4:25 PM 4-25-2010

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-25-2010 01:36 AM #6
      That's probably right. There's some weird and wonderful shops out there. There's a place in High Street Armadale that sells pretty much exclusively "door furniture". That's a shop full of door handles farkn.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-25-2010 01:41 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Super 180s »
      Seriously, scraping together 20% for deposit and costs just doesn't seem like something I will ever be able to do in this country, let alone the ongoing payments. It's a joke, and it seems as though it's only achievable with 2 incomes.

It gets easier Klaus. Your income will continue to go up but your expenses stabilise. Just maintain your discipline.

8. Senior Member
      04-25-2010 02:19 AM #8
      Matty, your expense stabilise until you get a child or two, then it goes up again. Then you are forced to cut your own purchases to accomodate your child's expenses. I'll get to that stage one day.

9. 04-25-2010 02:29 AM #9
      Farghen it'd help if the govt weren't taking $XXX a week off me for HECS farghen.

Why can't we have free education like other civilised countries?

Modified by Super 180s at 6:09 PM 4-25-2010

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      04-25-2010 03:10 AM #10
      Farghen it'd help if the govt weren't taking $250 a week off me for HECS farghen.

Toughen up bitch! The way you pay for that stuff is by stop buying over priced over weight hot hatches and pay for your fuuckin education as you go... you get a discount by doing that too. Stop buying over priced cognac and **** from B&O and you would have enough to be able to afford a house.

11. 04-25-2010 03:11 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Stifflers Mom »

However the website doesn't show any similar, but I am sure I've seen them in Keeler hardware at Willoughby.

Keeler H/W FTW

iPad Certified.

12. 04-25-2010 03:18 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by TMK-001 »

Toughen up bitch! The way you pay for that stuff is by stop buying over priced over weight hot hatches and pay for your fuuckin education as you go... you get a discount by doing that too. Stop buying over priced cognac and **** from B&O and you would have enough to be able to afford a house.

Honestly, I'd rather have a rented dwelling filled with nice furniture and other objects that are a pleasure to use, than to own a place and have rubbish contents.

Anyway it's a moot point. I'm planning on moving to Dallas where I can live the life of a king, with an F250 as a daily driver and a 911 for the weekends (seriously, the cost of living there is ridiculously low). There I can have the house AND the contents, and I won't need to work 20 hour days to cover 3 timezones.

Modified by Super 180s at 6:21 PM 4-25-2010

13. 04-25-2010 03:25 AM #13
      I have no idea how anyone affords a house in Australia, let alone renovations as well. Especially on $106k p.a.

Detroit, on the other hand...

Modified by Super 180s at 4:00 PM 4-25-2010

Sell your F430 in HK....bang.....deposit!

Lets do some living after we die.

14. 04-25-2010 03:27 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Peter Ian Staker »

Sell your F430 in HK....bang.....deposit!

On what, a 25m^2 studio?

Sydney is a ****ing joke. The property prices here are just ludicrous compared to what you get in return (e.g. public transport, health, education etc).

I'd like to see how many single Gen Y-ers are able to buy a property with no family assistance on a single income over the next decade.

Modified by Super 180s at 6:33 PM 4-25-2010

15. Senior Member
      04-25-2010 03:48 AM #15
      As much as I like to give Klaus crap like the rest of you, I have to admit that his point about gen Y buying a house is a real issue. I guess we are going to get a generation of people that will not own a house until their parents cark it and leave them the house. Either that or banks will start giving out 40-50 year loans. Scary really.

04-25-2010 03:57 AM #16

Langers, you'll be fine. You will meet another nice boy at the bank, your eyes will lock in the lift one morning, you'll get that feeling of butterflies in your stomach, and next thing you know, you'll be shopping at Space for a new Poltrona Frau sofa for the Potts Point apartment that's an easy stretch on two salaries with no dependents, and an easy career path to MD and beyond....

Live the d(ream)

17. 04-25-2010 04:05 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by R’chitect »

Langers, you'll be fine. You will meet another nice boy at the bank, your eyes will lock in the lift one morning, you'll get that feeling of butterflies in your stomach, and next thing you know, you'll be shopping at Space for a new Poltrona Frau sofa for the Potts Point apartment that's an easy stretch on two salaries with no dependents, and an easy career path to MD and beyond....

Live the d(ream)

18. 04-25-2010 04:07 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Rchitect »

Live the d(ream)

i think we can safely say, "post of the day"

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      04-25-2010 05:29 AM #19
      A slight interruption on the woes of being Klaus for a moment, if I may...

The handles we need are made by Turner (who no longer exist apparently), model no. H634 and we need 2" or 1 1/2" sizing (preferably 2"). Y'know, just in case you have a few lying around somewhere.

20. 04-25-2010 05:47 AM #20

Live the d(ream)

do you have any actual advice other than "turn gay"?

04-25-2010 06:11 AM #21

Well based on my own experience of being straight with two young boys, and the financial implications that that entails (have kids, drop one income, future school fees..) I think it's the best advice I could possibly give you.

I can also recommend the Poltrona Frau Kennedee Sofa (actually available from Corporate Culture now, as they have just picked up the agency), and living in Potts Point / Elizabeth Bay, has great Amenity, and is quite gay friendly.

So there you go.

22. 04-25-2010 06:30 AM #22
      Thanks for the encouragement...

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-25-2010 06:41 AM #23

Vehicles
      E82 135i, B7 S4 Avant
      04-25-2010 06:56 AM #24

I wouldn't even call that advice.

Have you priced raising a pair of Maltese in Sydney recently? You couldn't do it on any less than a combined income of $212k.

25. 04-25-2010 06:59 AM #25

Well based on my own experience ....I think it's the best advice I could possibly give you.

I can also recommend the Poltrona Frau Kennedee Sofa (actually available from Corporate Culture now, as they have just picked up the agency), and living in Potts Point / Elizabeth Bay, has great Amenity, and is quite gay friendly.

So there you go.

QFT

04-25-2010 07:03 AM #26

Eddie, you promised you wouldn't tell anyone.

27. 04-25-2010 08:57 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by WAY »
      I have to admit that his point about gen Y buying a house is a real issue.

Yea, right. Name a recent 'Gen' that hasn't faced the same hurdles. Price of housing is shocking, but hey, someone is buying, that's why the prices continue to escalate.

Langers problem is that he doesn't want to slum it with the rest of his generation, he's too good to live in the lesser suburbs and make a few upward moves over a couple of decades.

Dallas sounds like a good match Klaus. Say hi to Bobby for us

28. 04-25-2010 09:04 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by auR32 »

Yea, right. Name a recent 'Gen' that hasn't faced the same hurdles. Price of housing is shocking, but hey, someone is buying, that's why the prices continue to escalate.

Langers problem is that he doesn't want to slum it with the rest of his generation, he's too good to live in the lesser suburbs and make a few upward moves over a couple of decades.

bobby?

Even in 'lesser' suburbs, a flat is ~$500k, which means $100k cash upfront. $100k!! Where the **** are people meant to find that kind of money unless you're dealing drugs?!

Let alone actually trying to get a loan for the remainder, which is nigh on impossible.

I don't know a single person of my generation who has bought a property without some kind of assistance, whether it be cash in hand, or living at home to save money.

Modified by Super 180s at 12:11 AM 4-26-2010

29. 04-25-2010 09:05 AM #29
      the keneedee sofa is the bomb! parked my ass on that one for about half an hour once at space and wouldn't get up. bit pricey at $13k, but damn it was nice.

30. Senior Member
      04-25-2010 09:19 AM #30

You make a few good points there, but fact remains that the housing affordability is now worst than ever. Prices have been driven up by foreigners and with an aging population, the older people who have money. It's hard for the younger gen, no doubt about that.

31. 04-25-2010 06:40 PM #31

bobby?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077000/

Quote »
      Even in 'lesser' suburbs, a flat is ~$500k, which means $100k cash upfront. $100k!! Where the **** are people meant to find that kind of money unless you're dealing drugs?!

Let me see now. With a salary of $106k you do the same thing most house owning aspirants do: Save. Once you have a decent deposit saved over a few years, you will find that the bank is far more approachable, because (a) you move out of the high risk maximum possible loan category, and (b) you have proven ability to focus on your economic future.

The biggest problem with income is that people get sucked into spending most of it.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      04-25-2010 07:41 PM #32
      Liam is the last person deserves this thread to become a look at me thread for klaus.

Come back when you've fulfilled some of these stated objectives cobber.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      04-25-2010 07:55 PM #33
      Farghen it'd help if the govt weren't taking $XXX a week off me for HECS farghen.

I'm a single mum with a dort-a.

Looking forward to seeing your progress pics Liam

I'm a country member.

34. 04-25-2010 08:04 PM #34

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077000/

Let me see now. With a salary of $106k you do the same thing most house owning aspirants do: Save. Once you have a decent deposit saved over a few years, you will find that the bank is far more approachable, because (a) you move out of the high risk maximum possible loan category, and (b) you have proven ability to focus on your economic future.

The biggest problem with income is that people get sucked into spending most of it.

I just completed a mortgage calculator. Putting aside the deposit, on my own I can get a home loan for $120k. With my hypothetical gay lover on the same salary and a 30% increase in expenses (to cover proctologist expenses etc), I can borrow >$600k.

Maybe R'chitect is onto something

I still think it's a bit ludicrous if a young professional earning more than double the national average wage can't buy even the most basic studio apartment on a single salary. Something is wrong with property prices in that case...

Modified by Super 180s at 11:06 AM 4-26-2010

35. 04-25-2010 09:04 PM #35

Isn't your favouraite country of Switzerland a land of 'renters' rather than buy?

The culture to 'buy' is far greater here in Aust.

iPad Certified.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast