Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Projekt Haus II

1. Senior Member
      12-13-2011 08:24 AM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      Wayne, we have a contract, of course, but it's somewhat lacking in details. A point which has concerned us along the way, and beforehand...

For example, there is no specification in regards to how many light fittings, powerpoints etc have been allowed for each room. We noticed this prior to building and spoke to the builder, told him what we wanted--which was pretty regular stuff, nothing out of the ordinary--and he agreed that would be fine. As it all seemed hunky dory at the time we felt it wasn't necessary to provide an electrical plan until it was needed by the electrician; this was also agreed by the builder.

Then, when the time came and we supplied the plan to the sparky, the builder told us he hadn't allowed for any electrical work in our bedroom?! FFS, the only powerpoint in the room is now behind a cupboard, and even if it wasn't it is the furthest corner away from where our bed will go anyway. All of this he knew well in advance of starting.

Yes, we should have documented this, and other things much better, but when it's been discussed and the clear implication given by the builder is what we are asking is okay, you tend to get a bit lax in that regard.

Trouble is, we're stuck on a (slow moving) train and can't really get off until we're finished. So we need to balance the relationship with the builder between "get off my fvvking site you thieving kunt" and "crap we need this guy to stay until the work is all done."

That is what I meant, not that you didn't have a contract at all. And sorry I was being a bit harsh. But here is the tip I can give to those playing at home entering into any sort of contract. Always base the contract on the what if scenario that if you or the counter party are no longer around, would someone else picking up the contract still know exactly what was agreed? That is one of the fundamental rules when entering a contract.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-13-2011 08:38 AM #277
      Yep. And we have been too trusting. C'est la vie.

Then he wonders why I swear at him.

3. 12-13-2011 08:38 AM #278
      I made a verbal agreement once, I didnt care for it.

4. Senior Member
      12-13-2011 10:02 AM #279
      Then he wonders why I swear at him.
      Throw a pot at him and see if he still wonders.

5. 12-13-2011 05:37 PM #280
      I do wonder about some tradies sometimes..... when we had our kitchen done it was just little things like the sparky putting the power point for the fridge in perfect alignment so that it can be seen in the gab between the fridge and the cupboard above. Same sparky managed to break one of the (specifically shaped) screws on the fvcking expensive stainless steel light switches I bought, and used plasterboard screws to hold the oven in place....

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-13-2011 06:30 PM #281
      As a rule, they all seem to be a bunch of selfish pricks who do the minimum required to get them off the site as quickly as possible with no regard for other trades and, often, no regard for the client as well, haha.

Joiners aside, of course.

Vehicles
      Audi A3 2.0TQ, VW Jetta 2.0T
      12-13-2011 07:42 PM #282

The old steel windows to the front have now been replaced. No more air leaks, haha. We'll be painting them white to match the previous look, it will be a shame to lose the cedar finish in a way. But we want to maintain the original feel and have gone to the trouble of getting the new windows to look as much like the old steel ones, so painting them makes sense.
      Looking good Liam, quality fixtures and finishings is what maketh the home !

Painted timber windows look awesome Liam, the stained looked is a bit dated now - we fitted Airlite Cedar Windows and painted them "White on White - 50% strength" but I knew I would paint them from the start so had them primered from the factory... I dont envy the poor painter who will need to primer your windows as you really do need to ensure near perfect coverage, plus I suggest not leaving them raw for too long either.... at least get them primered for protection ASAP.
      Quattro drivers do it on all fours....

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-13-2011 07:58 PM #283
      Painter is on the job at the moment, but I don't think he will be doing any windows externally just yet. That's a good point though, might ask him tomorrow morning.

Vehicles
      2008 Mitsubishi Colt. 2012 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
      12-17-2011 09:57 PM #284
      Lucky for me I've had no real issues with tradies.
      Then again since they're all doing cashies I don't expect much, that said apart from a time factor everything has been perfect.

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      12-19-2011 01:53 PM #285
      Mum & Dads project house had a closed day for 3 days for the bloke to do the floor just prior to them moving in... Plumber came in next day and left a 75cm Gouge in the floor when he moved the dishwasher drawer on his own...

"Wasn't me..."

Dad lost his **** and he paid for it to be fixed... The bloke had done $80K of plumbing in two years... He fixed the problem with a bit of coaxing (read dad telling him if he didn't fix it, he'd get my mum onto him and she'd whoop his ass!).

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-21-2011 10:22 PM #286
      "Wasn't me?!"

That's just what the bobcat guy said after he managed to cut the phone line connection the pole to our house. Thank goodness for iPhone tethering.

So, as expected, the bits they said would be done by Christmas aren't done. To be fair they're pretty close, but we have had to cancel carpet installation twice and now it will done in January.

Sparky used to be the most reliable tradie we had, but his lack of activity in the last few weeks has seen him join the ranks of the other slackers. He's supposed to be here later today to finish off what he could have finished three weeks ago.

At least the phone line should be fixed tomorrow.

12. Member
      12-22-2011 12:11 AM #287

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-25-2011 06:16 PM #288
      Phone line still not fixed.

When I rang to enquire the nice man from India told me the line had been restored. He then tried to tell me I'd have to wait until 30/12 for a crew to come and fix it.

Apparently, there will now be somebody here tomorrow morning between 8-12. I'm already calling

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      12-25-2011 07:28 PM #289
      Join the colored wires. Can't be that hard. I've met some daft lines men in my time.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-25-2011 07:54 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
      Join the colored wires. Can't be that hard. I've met some daft lines men in my time.
      Getting to the top of the telegraph pole might be a trick.

16. Senior Member
      12-25-2011 07:57 PM #291
      Hey guys, was flicking through the Kew (Boorandara) local paper the other day, and saw an ad for a builder who is building 50s architectural houses. Awesome, reminds me of McTodd's mum and dad's place. I think I need to find myself a suburban land to build one!

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-26-2011 09:10 PM #292
      Phone line back.

12-26-2011 09:35 PM #293
      Cool .

Need inspiration for tiny tiny bathrooms. We have a downstairs "powder room" that has a toilet and full size vanity and would like to add a shower for guest use. Not very efficiently arranged. If anyone has links to photos etc Had a look at a few magazines looks like anyone can do cool stuff with a lot of space not many smart enough to handle restricted space.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-24-2012 05:32 PM #294
      Time for an update. No surprises that we didn't get into our bedroom before xmas, haha. 95% there just waiting on the electrician to put in some power points that should have been done about 8 weeks ago...

Bed 2 (will be our temporary lounge room for next few months)

Garage (almost complete, panelling on front of door the only major thing to do, will be our temporary kitchen/laundry/storage for next few months)

Deck (finished yesterday, save one or two minor pieces)

Same old slow and sometimes steady progress. Builder reckons he needs to be finished by March so he can start a new job.

We'll be lucky to be done before June, is my guess.

20. 01-24-2012 05:42 PM #295
      Looking good Lima. All the rooms, finished and unfinished, look great.

I like the sense of style with the routing of the storm water!
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-24-2012 06:11 PM #296
      Yeah, the current stormwater arrangement is pretty good isn't it.

Should I mention that they don't know where the main stormwater exit point is (which is why the temp arrangement is in place). All the gutters are ready to be connected to the underground rainwater tank, but as they currently have nowhere to connect the tank's overflow to we're at a bit of a loose end.

I'm not sure whether to or

Plans from the local water authority don't indicate any stormwater pipes on our block.

22. 01-24-2012 07:11 PM #297
      Still think this will be done before WAY finishes building his toy car.

23. 01-24-2012 07:43 PM #298
      hey liam, your cat is so photogenic! awesome

01-24-2012 09:37 PM #299
      Plans from the local water authority don't indicate any stormwater pipes on our block.
      FYI the cheapest way to get utilities plans etc is to do a dial before you dig enquiry. All free

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      01-24-2012 10:30 PM #300
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      FYI the cheapest way to get utilities plans etc is to do a dial before you dig enquiry. All free
      First, their fecking around isn't costing us anything. But Dial before you dig simply refer to the water authority records.

Got any other ideas?

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast