Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Projekt Haus II

04-25-2010 07:03 AM #26

Eddie, you promised you wouldn't tell anyone.

2. 04-25-2010 08:57 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by WAY »
      I have to admit that his point about gen Y buying a house is a real issue.

Yea, right. Name a recent 'Gen' that hasn't faced the same hurdles. Price of housing is shocking, but hey, someone is buying, that's why the prices continue to escalate.
      Langers problem is that he doesn't want to slum it with the rest of his generation, he's too good to live in the lesser suburbs and make a few upward moves over a couple of decades.
      Dallas sounds like a good match Klaus. Say hi to Bobby for us

3. 04-25-2010 09:04 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by auR32 »
      Yea, right. Name a recent 'Gen' that hasn't faced the same hurdles. Price of housing is shocking, but hey, someone is buying, that's why the prices continue to escalate.
      Langers problem is that he doesn't want to slum it with the rest of his generation, he's too good to live in the lesser suburbs and make a few upward moves over a couple of decades.

bobby?
      Even in 'lesser' suburbs, a flat is ~$500k, which means $100k cash upfront. $100k!! Where the **** are people meant to find that kind of money unless you're dealing drugs?!
      Let alone actually trying to get a loan for the remainder, which is nigh on impossible.
      I don't know a single person of my generation who has bought a property without some kind of assistance, whether it be cash in hand, or living at home to save money.

Modified by Super 180s at 12:11 AM 4-26-2010

4. 04-25-2010 09:05 AM #29
      the keneedee sofa is the bomb! parked my ass on that one for about half an hour once at space and wouldn't get up. bit pricey at $13k, but damn it was nice.

5. Senior Member
      04-25-2010 09:19 AM #30

You make a few good points there, but fact remains that the housing affordability is now worst than ever. Prices have been driven up by foreigners and with an aging population, the older people who have money. It's hard for the younger gen, no doubt about that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

6. 04-25-2010 06:40 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Super 180s »
      bobby?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077000/
      Quote »
      Even in 'lesser' suburbs, a flat is ~$500k, which means $100k cash upfront. $100k!! Where the **** are people meant to find that kind of money unless you're dealing drugs?!

Let me see now. With a salary of $106k you do the same thing most house owning aspirants do: Save. Once you have a decent deposit saved over a few years, you will find that the bank is far more approachable, because (a) you move out of the high risk maximum possible loan category, and (b) you have proven ability to focus on your economic future.
      The biggest problem with income is that people get sucked into spending most of it.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      04-25-2010 07:41 PM #32
      Liam is the last person deserves this thread to become a look at me thread for klaus.
      Come back when you've fulfilled some of these stated objectives cobber.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      04-25-2010 07:55 PM #33
      Farghen it'd help if the govt weren't taking $XXX a week off me for HECS farghen.
      Why can't we have free education like other civilised countries?

I'm a single mum with a dort-a.

Looking forward to seeing your progress pics Liam [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I'm a country member.

9. 04-25-2010 08:04 PM #34
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077000/
      Let me see now. With a salary of $106k you do the same thing most house owning aspirants do: Save. Once you have a decent deposit saved over a few years, you will find that the bank is far more approachable, because (a) you move out of the high risk maximum possible loan category, and (b) you have proven ability to focus on your economic future.
      The biggest problem with income is that people get sucked into spending most of it.

I just completed a mortgage calculator. Putting aside the deposit, on my own I can get a home loan for $120k. With my hypothetical gay lover on the same salary and a 30% increase in expenses (to cover proctologist expenses etc), I can borrow >$600k.
      Maybe R'chitect is onto something
      I still think it's a bit ludicrous if a young professional earning more than double the national average wage can't buy even the most basic studio apartment on a single salary. Something is wrong with property prices in that case...

Modified by Super 180s at 11:06 AM 4-26-2010

10. 04-25-2010 09:04 PM #35

Isn't your favouraite country of Switzerland a land of 'renters' rather than buy?
      The culture to 'buy' is far greater here in Aust.
      iPad Certified.

11. 04-25-2010 09:08 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by Tank Engine »
      Isn't your favouraite country of Switzerland a land of 'renters' rather than buy?
      The culture to 'buy' is far greater here in Aust.

Correct. Problem is that in Australia if you don't own then you're seen as a lesser being... that stigma needs to change.

12. 04-25-2010 11:46 PM #37
      Correct. Problem is that in Australia if you don't own then you're seen as a lesser being... that stigma needs to change.

Very True + the need for ahouse vs. an apartmetn too I guess. Can't throw too many stones since I love my house and yard.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      04-25-2010 11:51 PM #38

By the time you've become a grown up, I dare say it will be on the way to changing.

14. Senior Member
      04-26-2010 01:12 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Tank Engine »
      Very True + the need for ahouse vs. an apartmetn too I guess. Can't throw too many stones since I love my house and yard.

I have lived in apartments since uni, and still do. Prefer it to a house to be honest. But apartments are only for those of us who earn $106k a year. But weirdly enough, if I am to move into a house permanently, it will have to be a city townhouse like what I have bought that is still being built, or an acre suburban house. I don't know why I have an obsession with acre lots.

Modified by WAY at 4:13 PM 4-26-2010

15. 04-26-2010 03:45 AM #40
      gardening and mowing lawns is a waste of time?

16. 04-26-2010 03:47 AM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Jim Bookie »
      gardening and mowing lawns is a waste of time?

I outsourced the mowing as soon as I bought the new house.
      Just gardening but not too big a hassle - pocket money for the little tanks as they get a little older to do stuff.

Modified by Tank Engine at 7:49 PM 4-26-2010
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      2008 Mitsubishi Colt. 2012 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
      04-26-2010 04:04 AM #42
      This thread needs pics of old kitchen STAT. I'm about redo my kitchen for the second time, the current one was a trial flatpack one that barely lasted 2 years before the kids killed it bigtime.

18. 04-26-2010 04:44 AM #43
      im sure that kennedee sofa would go well in that andrew maynard melb-haus featured in the current urbis. looks tres-cool.

04-26-2010 06:45 AM #44

I bought our one (3 seater) to give the kids something decent to bounce on...

20. 04-26-2010 07:44 AM #45
      you should have got 'em one of those edra ones....they could have gone to town with the flaps. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      MY08 MkV .:R32
      04-26-2010 07:43 PM #46

Work out how much your mortgage repayments are going to be - say $3.5k/month. You obviously need to be able to afford the repayments, so you should be able to save $2500/month while paying rent on somewhere to live. So it'll take you 40 months to save up your $100k, which is just over 3 years. But f*ck saving for the whole thing, just invest wisely your 2.5k/month, and you should be able to do it in 2.5 years.
      Or just go for a 10% deposit, save slightly less & have your deposit in two years - then get hit with mortgage insurance, higher repayments, etc.
      Saving for an apartment - you're doing it wrong...
      (I took 2.5 years to get my deposit and was saving less than I should have, but had help at the end with a great return from an IPO - otherwise it would have been 3.5 years)
      2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV .:R32

22. 04-26-2010 08:19 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by shauno »
      Work out how much your mortgage repayments are going to be - say $3.5k/month. You obviously need to be able to afford the repayments, so you should be able to save $2500/month while paying rent on somewhere to live. So it'll take you 40 months to save up your $100k, which is just over 3 years. But f*ck saving for the whole thing, just invest wisely your 2.5k/month, and you should be able to do it in 2.5 years.
      Or just go for a 10% deposit, save slightly less & have your deposit in two years - then get hit with mortgage insurance, higher repayments, etc.
      Saving for an apartment - you're doing it wrong...
      (I took 2.5 years to get my deposit and was saving less than I should have, but had help at the end with a great return from an IPO - otherwise it would have been 3.5 years)

{rant deleted}

Modified by Super 180s at 11:09 PM 4-27-2010

23. 04-27-2010 08:04 AM #48
      how am i supposed to get a gt3?

24. Senior Member
      04-27-2010 08:22 AM #49

Convince your mama to remortgage her house so you can use the cash. The secret is not to tell her what the document says, just tell her it's a business thing and she just needs to sign for you. Head to your Porsche dealer the moment you get the cash. Done.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      04-27-2010 08:43 AM #50

You work in Marrickville, you only need to learn how to hotwire one. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast