Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Original Warner Brother's 1969 Dodge Charger GENERAL LEE !!

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-26-2010 08:38 PM #1
      I couldn't help posting this on TCL when browsing the classic auto trader ads. As you can see, this is an original 1969 Dodge Charger GENERAL LEE bought by Warner Brother's. It was used during the TV series in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I remember tuning in every Friday night at 8PM when the series was originally aired. A true time capsule and ideally one of a kind car .. It has been in the private ownership market for some time now. I believe John Schneider AKA Bo Duke sold his personal GENERAL LEE for like $9 Million a few years ago on eBay. So, $100K might be a steal for this 69 Charger with 114,000 original miles-

For Sale Ad:
      http://www.autotraderclassics....29496

Quoted History:
      This is documented as one of the original Dodge Chargers bought by Warner Bros. in 1978 for use during the Georgia filming of the first episodes of Dukes of Hazzard. This is documented as one of the original Dodge Chargers bought by Warner Bros. in 1978 for use during the Georgia filming of the first episodes of Dukes of Hazzard. For the first episodes there were a total of 8 Dodge Chargers bought by Warner Bros. to be used as General Lee's. The first three General's were built in California and delivered to Georgia where transportation coordinator John Marendi labeled the cars as Lee 1, 2, and 3. After filming began in GA, the General Lee's were wrecked quickly and it became apparent that more were needed. Employed by Warner Bros, Don Schisler, one of the original builders of the Georgia General Lee's and transportation coordinator for Dukes of Hazzard, bought an additional 5 Chargers for a disaster-bound transformation into General Lee's. After filming ended in Georgia, Don Schisler bought, from Warner Bros, this Dodge Charger which had been previously un-used, on film, for his personal ownership and use as a General Lee. Since Schisler bought this Charger from Warner Bros. it was not shipped to California, like the other surviving cars which were later used for the continued filming of Dukes of Hazzard. Because of this, it was able to survive it's otherwise doomed fate of being jumped or crashed and becoming one of the 249 General Lee's wrecked during the filming in the years to come.. This particular General Lee disappeared in 1980 when Don Schisler sold the car because of the amount of attention he got with it; people would see the car in his drive-way and actually stop at his home looking for the Duke boys?!! The car was sold to private hands and just resurfaced in 2008 when we purchased it. Only about 1500 miles had been put on the car since Schisler sold it in 1980. This Charger is all original as the day it was transformed into a General Lee back in 1979. It still has its original Flame Orange paint, small push-bar, CB and antenna, roll-bar, Vector wheels and is one of the few General Lee's to be wearing its original; 01, confederate flag, and GENERAL LEE accents that were hand painted by Larry West. It is a true C6T tan interior car and has a real tan interior, not painted! This General may have never made it on the screen but it's for that reason that it still exists today in its pristine, un-abused condition as when it was originally transformed by The Generals First Men. There is a 3 ring binder documenting this cars history, a complete timeline from prior to Warner Bros purchasing the car until present. Included are notarized bills of sales when Warner Bros purchased the car and when they sold it to Schilser. In addition to the pile of paperwork, we also have pictures of the car in its original condition, on set, sitting next to Lee 1 (in the pictures, it's the gold car in the background, the smashed up car is LEE 1). Because this General was never inventoried as a screen used car, it was sold without any contracts forbidding commercial use. The Road Back to Early Hazzard? by Jon Holland is an excellent book filled with a lot of early Georgia Dukes history and the obstacles that the crew had to overcome to make the show possible. If it were not for these men, who worked around the clock, often sleeping in the back seat of a car, the show would never have become a success and legend it has develop into today. The book is a great read and includes mention of this, one of the 1st General Lee's made.

* Please share stories, ownership tales, GENERAL LEE pics, Chargers, R/T's or Dukes of Hazzard memories *

Modified by vwfansince95 at 4:08 PM 4-27-2010

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      04-26-2010 08:43 PM #2
      I love 1968-69 era Dodge Chargers. I do not like to see them painted up like the General Lee.

So badass:

04-26-2010 08:45 PM #3
      Love those Chargers and the Dukes of Hazzard. I'm also in for Daisy pics.

4. 04-26-2010 08:47 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by greychinchilla »
      I love 1968-69 era Dodge Chargers. I do not like to see them painted up like the General Lee.

So badass:

Yes, General Lee Chargers make me want to vomit.

I cringe at the replicas and the new movie was tear worthy.

5. 04-26-2010 08:49 PM #5
      The Dixie Horn switch is classic. Just out of the picture are the Freeze Frame and Cue Waylon buttons.

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      04-26-2010 08:53 PM #6
      I will buy this car if: You get those 2 Duke boys to slide across the hood and jump thru the winder to drive tha sommamab!tch, go back in time and bring me the hotter younger Daisy Duke and finally get Boss Hog (even if you have to dig him up) to chase me through some backwoods while I hit the horn and yell "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!"
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-26-2010 09:52 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Wilhelm R32 »
      go back in time and bring me the hotter younger Daisy Duke

Jessica Simpson or Catherine Bach? considering Catherine is in her late 50's now, my guess is Jessica is what you want

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      04-26-2010 09:53 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by vwfansince95 »

Jessica Simpson or Catherine Bach? considering Catherine is in her late 50's now, my guess is Jessica is what you want

Guess you missed the "go back in time" part

Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

9. 04-26-2010 09:56 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by greychinchilla »

Damnit that is sexy. I love me some vintage Mopar.

Vehicles
      2007 Passat Wagon VR6
      04-26-2010 10:00 PM #10
      Does the horn actually play Dixie?
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
      Apparently, these “frat-boys” think Craig’s List is more entertaining than Survivor.

11. Swallow Doretti
      04-26-2010 10:02 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by pontiac »
      Love those Chargers and the Dukes of Hazzard. I'm also in for Daisy pics.

Ask and you shall receive:

12. 04-26-2010 10:13 PM #12

Why not both?
      Submitted for your approval (or FAPPING. whichever)

This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      04-26-2010 10:14 PM #13
      I would get arrested in that car in maybe 10 minutes. Maybe.

also, for $100k I want welded and shaved doors.

No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

14. Banned
      Vehicles
      '11 M3/'05 MCS/ '11 1198 DUC
      04-26-2010 10:14 PM #14
      The Original? I thought they crashed dozens of those during the series?

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-26-2010 10:15 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Big Morgan »
      Does the horn actually play Dixie?

it should -it's an original car from the 70's TV series ..

see the horns

see the switch

16. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      C123
      04-26-2010 10:21 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Matt D. »
      The Original? I thought they crashed dozens of those during the series?

They did. They used over 300 of them over the course of the series. The big block ones were used for the stunts (jumping etc.), the small block cars (like this one) were used for the still shots (hence the reason for it not being all beat to ****).

When I was a young teen, my dad and I bought a Charger with the intention of building a General Lee. That plan evolved into building a nice 69 Charger. That plan evolved into selling the car for a fraction of what we'd spent on it, after letting it sit (and sadly rot) over the course of a decade of little money.

Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

17. Banned
      Vehicles
      '11 M3/'05 MCS/ '11 1198 DUC
      04-26-2010 10:22 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Chris16vRocco »

They did. They used over 300 of them over the course of the series. The big block ones were used for the stunts (jumping etc.), the small block cars (like this one) were used for the still shots (hence the reason for it not being all beat to ****).

When I was a young teen, my dad and I bought a Charger with the intention of building a General Lee. That plan evolved into building a nice 69 Charger. That plan evolved into selling the car for a fraction of what we'd spent on it, after letting it sit (and sadly rot) over the course of a decade of little money.

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-27-2010 02:33 PM #18
      Fun Fact:
      LEE 1[1] was salvaged out of a Georgia junkyard in August 2001 by Travis Bell[2] and Gary Schneider.[3] The car has since been fully "restored" to its on screen appearance. It was officially unveiled to the public November 11, 2006 with John Schneider behind the wheel. On March 21, 2008, Bell sold Lee 1.

Vehicles
      '01 Jetta 16v(!), '09 CC VR6, 2001 Mercedes R320 CDI, '01 Triumph TT Warbird, '01 R1
      04-27-2010 02:39 PM #19

it should -it's an original car from the 70's TV series ..

see the horns

see the switch

WIN.

I don't like General Lee replicas, but with this being a real one I'd rock it - especially at that price. Seems like a steal.

Check out MrsShifty's 16v MkIV Build!

Robert Lackey - Service Manager, Fowler Volkswagen of Norman

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015.5 XC60 T5 AWD
      04-27-2010 02:43 PM #20
      Am i in the minority here? I love the 1969 Charger as the General Lee (maybe minus the confederate flag?..i dunno). I grew up watching the Dukes, and fell in love with that car....best TV car ever!!!!
      WISH I HAD ONE!!!
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-27-2010 05:01 PM #21
      More fun facts:
      Engines in the TV show General Lees varied; 318, 383, and 440 CID V8s were used. However, the "close-up" Lees (except for the first one) were 383-powered. The special purpose built "Ski Car" (the car that was used for stunts involving driving on the left side or right side wheels with the opposite side wheels in the air) had a 318, as it was lighter weight. Most of the 'workhorse' stunt cars had 318s and 440s. The stunt drivers tended to prefer 440s (a higher performance engine) for jumps, so 440-powered stunt Lees were often saved for the higher and longer jumps. Also, though early sound effects led many people to believe otherwise, only a handful of Chargers had manual transmissions; most had 727 TorqueFlite automatic transmissions. Also, in The Dukes of Hazzard motion picture, Cooter replaced the General's original engine with a Hemi.

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-28-2010 06:25 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Wilhelm R32 »

Guess you missed the "go back in time" part

let me know if this works for you ..

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-29-2010 03:12 PM #23
      Fun Facts:
      Exhaust systems were basic: some had glasspack mufflers, but most had standard exhausts with the pipe cut just before the rear end. The exhaust sound that can be heard on most of the California-era episode General Lees is from a Thrush brand glasspack. The sounds came from the exhaust systems fitted to the "close-up" cars; the parts used were Blackjack brand headers, dual exhausts, and the aforementioned Thrush mufflers. However, the sounds were dubbed in after the scene was filmed.

24. 04-29-2010 03:46 PM #24

let me know if this works for you ..

Yes, yes, and more yes. I am incensed that somebody defiled this thread with that brainless blond trailer trash.

Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      04-29-2010 04:26 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by The Kilted Yaksman »

I am incensed that somebody defiled this thread with that brainless blond trailer trash.

triple redundancy!!!

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      04-30-2010 07:59 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by The Kilted Yaksman »

Yes, yes, and more yes. I am incensed that somebody defiled this thread with that brainless blond trailer trash.

Defiled:
      1. To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.
      2. To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.
      3. To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).
      4. To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.
      5. To violate the chastity of.

defined by the free online dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com

27. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      C123
      04-30-2010 09:06 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Shifty »

WIN.

That push button is normally used for the windshield washers.

And a pic of our aborted project just before we sold it this past winter:

Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      05-01-2010 06:10 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Chris16vRocco »

That push button is normally used for the windshield washers.

And a pic of our aborted project just before we sold it this past winter

its'a shame you guys sold it -vintage muscle cars always fun to work on and drive

and not to discrimanite, lets get a good shot of JS on here for good measure ..

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta, '98 GTI
      05-01-2010 06:30 PM #29
      Jessica is SO ****ING HOT.
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhine
      Power sliding is not worth it, I realized I was addicted and have taken up a much healthier safer hobby called high school girls

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      05-01-2010 08:10 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Volvo_D »
      Am i in the minority here? I love the 1969 Charger as the General Lee (maybe minus the confederate flag?..i dunno). I grew up watching the Dukes, and fell in love with that car....best TV car ever!!!!
      WISH I HAD ONE!!!

No. I love that car. I love the DoH paint scheme. I'd drive one if I had one.

But then again... I grew up in Louisville, KY soooo...

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      05-02-2010 02:48 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by uncleho »
      No. I love that car. I love the DoH paint scheme. I'd drive one if I had one. But then again... I grew up in Louisville, KY soooo...

the movie Bullitt is probably best-remembered for its car chase scene through the streets of San Francisco with the Dodge Charger.

The scene with the "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 CID Fastback, chasing two hit-men in a "Tuxedo Black" 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum is pure sex.

they are both among my favorite muscle cars during that era

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-02-2010 03:16 PM #32
      The worst part about going to Girl Scout camp was that my sister and I had to miss the Dukes of Hazzard that week. We were rather upset.

Oh, crap. I dated myself.

oh yeah... Catherine Bach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jessica whatshername

A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      Garage Queen and a POS
      05-02-2010 03:31 PM #33
      Sorry Jessica is hotter. Oh yeah and cool cars bla bla bla

Vehicles
      Jetta Coupe (1989) GTI (1988) Audi Cabrio (1992)
      05-03-2010 07:03 PM #34
      isn't that thing a bit shiny to be real?
      i saw in a documentary that they had to built the first 40 of them within ten days... most were really half-assed and some not even completely painted,,
      Welcome to the internet:
      Where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

Member of VOLKSFORUM.COM
      "I like my women like i like my coffee,.... plastic cup"-Eddie Izzard.

Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      05-04-2010 07:33 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by jetta2.8 »
      Sorry Jessica is hotter. Oh yeah and cool cars bla bla bla

and here i thought the was the Dodge Charger/General Lee thread ..

maybe we should change it to the official Daisy Duke competition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast