Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** Official iPhone Applications Thread NO APPS POSTS ALLOWED OUTSIDE THIS THREAD ***

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      04-28-2010 12:09 PM #1
      This thread will serve as the official iPhone apps thread. All other threads will be locked and pointed to this thread, or merged up. Please post all iPhone questions, comments, links, etc. in this thread.

Vehicles
      13 abarth//90 325iS//20-speed roadie
      04-28-2010 12:11 PM #2
      thanks!

Vehicles
      98 VW Golf (AEG) RIP, 04 VW Golf 16VT (In Progress)
      04-28-2010 12:11 PM #3
      first post.....lol

for the facebook app

:bow Old Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Really Volvo? A failure of system that is supposed to save the inattentive would have been noticed by a real inattentive driver?
      Really?

Vehicles
      13 abarth//90 325iS//20-speed roadie
      04-28-2010 12:12 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by duke_seb »
      first post.....lol

Gorillacam
      It’s free. It has a self-timer. You can tap anywhere on the screen to take the shot. It has time-lapse. It has anti-shake. It has a bubble level and grid. It has burst mode.

Sleep cycle
      It’s a pay app. It supposedly wakes you up when you’re going to be “fresh” and not in the middle of your deep sleep cycle so you won’t be groggy. I’m not sure that it does. I’ve been using it now for 45 days and I do find that I no longer wake up in the middle of a dream. It uses the phone’s accelerometer to determine when you’re in deep sleep and REM sleep.

Opera mini
      It’s fast but does not always render pages very well. I like the start page with all my favorite sites. It’s supposedly not so secure since all the pages you're accessing go through their servers first.

Air mouse
      Mouse and keyboard functions on your phone for your desktop/HTPC through wifi. It works very well but I’m not a fan of the phone going to sleep and the phone having to reconnect to the host PC.

Airvideo
      Wireless streaming and on-the-fly conversion for videos stored on your computer. You must have a fast enough processor for this to work well. If you’re going to use it through 3G, the internet connection on your desktop should be pretty fast.

Shazam
      Music identification.

Pandora
      Streaming radio w/ your preference in music.

Last.fm
      Like Pandora but also takes your ipod listening habits into consideration.

Simplify
      Streams your itunes music library through wifi and 3G

Flickr
      Clean interface for you folks w/ flickr accounts.

PDAnet
      Jailbreak app that enables tethering. It works very, very well and it’s very easy to use.

Keeper
      Stores your passwords. I’m sure there are better alternatives but it’s all I’ve needed so far.

Lockdown
      Jailbreak app that allows you to assign a PIN to lock your chosen apps. I can now comfortably hand my phone over to family/friends to browse or play a game and not worry about them looking @ pictures of the GF in compromised positions (not that I have any).

Road trip
      Allows me keep track of my MPG and it’s simple to use so it’s not a chore to keep it up.

Cycorder
      Jailbreak app that allows the 2G and 3G to record video.

Gilt
      App for gilt.com. terrible for folks like me that impulse buy.

Ebay
      Self-explanatory

Amazon
      Allows me to comparison shop when I redlaser.app doesn’t pick up a barcode

Redlaser
      Comparison shopping made simple w/ a barcode scanner

Bing
      Easy search engine

Meebo
      for all the major IM services.

Wikipanion
      Wikipedia on your phone

Menupages
      For all you restaurant frequenters

Words with friends
      Scrabble w/ all your iphone buddies

Sbsettings
      Jailbreak app for quick toggles and services.

That’s all for now.

Modified by bora.the.explora at 9:58 AM 4-28-2010

Modified by bora.the.explora at 11:33 AM 4-28-2010

Vehicles
      04-28-2010 12:13 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by bora.the.explora »

crap you beat me

Really Volvo? A failure of system that is supposed to save the inattentive would have been noticed by a real inattentive driver?
      Really?

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      I own a wish-list. In four shades of blue.
      04-28-2010 02:16 PM #6

My contribution:

THE OBVIOUS ONES

Instapaper
      There is no better app for iPhone. If you find a web page that's not formatted nicely for the iPhone screen, or if you just don't have time to read a long article, send it to Instapaper. Then, you can read it anytime, in a much easier-to-read format. Tons of apps integrate nicely with Instapaper.
      free version without fancy features, but you'll want the $4.99 Pro version. iPad Universal.

Tweetie 2
      There simply isn't a better Twitter client out there. This will soon be released for free, and re-branded as the official Twitter client (they've been acquired). If you don't have it, wait.
      $2.99

Words With Friends
      Here's another vote for this one. Scrabble with up to 20 opponents at a time. The rules are a little different from actual Scrabble®, but it's still awesome. Automated notifications whenever it's your turn. Anyone on here using this? Game me. Same screen name.
      free (ad supported) or $2.99

THE NOT-SO-OBVIOUS ONES

Reeder
      I was using NetNewsWire from day one of the AppStore, and I always had gripes with it. I tried every other RSS reader with any good reviews, and I always came up wanting…until Reeder. Reeder has one of the most intuitive interfaces I've ever seen on iPhone (swipe any article in a list, and you'll see). I absolutely hate using pixel-doubled iPhone apps on iPad, but I am using Reeder on it. Because there's simply nothing as good that's native for iPad. Should be updated by early May.
      $2.99 and worth every penny

RunKeeper Pro
      It seemed hell-nigh impossible to get me exercising regularly. RunKeeper did the trick. Far, far more reliable and accurate than Nike+, and no fear of battery wearing out.
      free and ad-supported, or $9.99 Pro version (which I recommend)

Pastebot
      Another beautiful app from TapBots. Allows you to copy/paste to and from your computer from iPhone. It may not sound amazing, but it honestly feels like The Future to me.
      $2.99

Groceries
      Yeah, it was worth getting an app specifically for the purpose. Just the fact that hundreds of items are already typed into the database is worth the price tag, but the design is great and the UI makes organizing shopping lists really easy.
      $1.99

iTeleport
      Formerly known as Jaadu VNC. Perfect for remote control of any computer anywhere. Universal for iPhone and iPad.
      $24.99, iPad Universal

Rowmote Pro
      The best media center remote that I've seen for iPhone, but my criteria are specific:
      1. non-cluttered, simple interface
      2. flexible and complex feature set, but without compromising #1
      3. built-in presets for specific apps like Plex, Boxee, etc.
      There's a .99¢ version but don't waste the money. The $4.99 version is worlds better, and it's iPad Universal.

FOR THE IPAD PEOPLE

Epicurious
      I don't cook. I destroy the kitchen when I try. But this app led me to make my first effing spectacular meal of my life. Very, very good app, and it's iPhone/iPad Universal.
      free, Universal

Brushes
      I bought this for iPhone, and I wasn't terribly happy that I had to pay again for the iPad version…but it's really excellent. And it's also excellent to think that a dude with an iPhone and Brushes made several covers for The New Yorker magazine. There are cheaper apps with tons more features, but this one's written by one dude who was super-nervous when he presented at Apple's event
      $9.99

Modified by punkassjim at 12:22 PM 4-28-2010

My car
      and its identity crisis
      I dodged a bullet there. Note to self: cease fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      04-28-2010 02:20 PM #7
      Ah! Also, GuitarToolkit. Excellent for tuning, metronome, learning chords, etc. $9.99

TabToolkit also looks excellent, and it IS iPad Universal, but I don't own it, so I can't vouch for it. $9.99

My car
      and its identity crisis

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-28-2010 02:26 PM #8
      Words with Friends has wasted a lot of my time! Love it!

Gotta say, I love PandoraBox. It lets you search for apps that have gone on sale or on special. I've gotten a few apps for free because I caught them while on sale through PandoraBox.

Paper toss is a good poop time game
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app...o%3D2

Bump - exchanging contact info
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app...o%3D2

Stachetastic - put a variety of mustaches on photos. I made my cat look like Wilford Brimley.

coming soon from a company I used to work for - Poly Tune iPhone app: http://www.tcelectronic.com/Po...ester/

Modified by leitmotif at 11:35 AM 4-28-2010

Vehicles
      04-28-2010 02:54 PM #9
      i posted this in the iPhone Thread but this is probably a better place for it

I have a number of apps that I use on a near daily basis...that I think are top notch

Netnewswire - RSS feeds syncs with google reader and there is an iPad version

Facebook - for obvious reasons

IMDb/Flixster - Movies and TV

Air Video - Streaming

Weather Eye - self explaitory

MobileMe (iDisk,Gallery) - access to mobile me

FTP on the Go - for my FTP Needs

LogWorks - to interact with my WiFi OBDII Port

1Password - stores all my passwords and syncs to my client on my mac

Converter - i convert everything but currecy with it

XE - for currency exchange

Paypal - the new version is pretty good

Shazam - gotta has this...

iStat - Remote Status check of your Remote machines

iTeleport (former JaaduVNC <-better name IMHO) - for VNC

Delivery Status Touch - Track packages from any company in one place

[img]http://rock401.tedaugust.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sciphonescreenshot.jpg[/img[
      Shoutcast - its the only place i can get 181fm radio

as for games these are my favourite

Scrabble - Facebook Integration (the ipad version is totally amazing)

Scramble 2 - Facebook Integration

Paper Toss

Traffic Rush

Papi (any of the games that start with papi are a good time killer)

Zynga Poker - Facebook Integration

Super Monkeyball 1 & 2

Yahtzee

and for the really young kids

Koi Pond - my kids both like splashing the water and making the fish swim away

and I have one Web App that I use for my Torrents
      if your a mac user you should already be using Transmission for your torrent needs the transmission web app is top notch

Really?

10. 04-28-2010 03:36 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »

TabToolkit also looks excellent, and it IS iPad Universal, but I don't own it, so I can't vouch for it. $9.99

I can certify that Tab Toolkit is an AMAZING app. And they continue to make improvements. It's pretty much a portable Guitar Pro. Well worth the money.

Speaking of developers that continue to improve their apps, iFitness ($1.99) gets updated very frequently with actual improvements. It's a great way to log your workouts and keep track of your progress.

Let's Go Jets/Mets/Nets

11. 04-28-2010 06:04 PM #11
      Hey duke is the 1password a free app or no?

Vehicles
      04-28-2010 06:06 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by RENOG »

watch for sales..... it usually isnt but it was when i picked it up

also if you follow apple deals an stuff 1password usually comes up as part of some set of discounts

Really?

Vehicles
      1985 GOLF VR6 SLEEPER
      04-29-2010 01:16 AM #13
      Ive had my Iphone for 9 months now and obviously are not using it to its full potential seeing all these Cool Apps.

I am addicted to POOL PRO 3 ONLINE - costs $4.95

Funny i just googled it to find a pic and it was available for FREE today ( april 28th ) so technically yesterday.

anyways its addicting - you play others online for " Scratch " awesome way to kill time while waiting for your wife , your kids or in the bathroom doing yo thing...

I have the same name on their - add me as a friend if you sign up..

VWSNAPS

Off topic - So i thinking about Ipad - to use it 3g i still have to pay an additional $30 a month for service on it as well as my Iphone? Or is there some price break for having both?

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2010 02:35 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by vwsnaps »
      Off topic - So i thinking about Ipad - to use it 3g i still have to pay an additional $30 a month for service on it as well as my Iphone? Or is there some price break for having both?

It's only $15 for the data plan if you don't need unlimited data. And there's no contract, so you don't have to pay anything at all if you won't need the 3G access most of the time. But I'd imagine someone will figure out how to tether an iPhone and iPad sometime soon. That's what I'm holding out for.

My car
      and its identity crisis

Vehicles
      2013 VW CC Sport / DSG + Ltg. Pkg.
      04-29-2010 11:14 AM #15
      Some of my faves, in no particular order. I have more, but these are my stand-outs.

---

5-0 Radio
      Police Radio scanner

---

Wallet
      Password database w/desktop client and MobileMe sync

(sorry for the large pic)

---

My Lists
      Good, simple-yet-rich "grocery" (really anything) list

(sorry for the large pic)

---

Pocket Universe
      Location-based astronomy

---

Solar Walk
      3D Solar System model, full of info

---

Flight Track
      Tracking and other live info for flights

---

Think Blue (free)
      The closest the US will ever get to a VW Polo

---

Space Shuttle
      Eerily realistic Shuttle landing simulator

Modified by Farnsworth at 10:17 AM 4-29-2010

Vehicles
      '03 PG GLi
      04-29-2010 12:06 PM #16
      Ooo i like that this finally got made! I'll have to search through the other thread and find my app post...this could be fun
      |||Eurowerks5||| ***The Midwest's Premiere European Car Show*** |||June 25, 2011|||

"I need the life version of Icy-Hot"

Flickr

Vehicles
      Mazda5, MK6 JSW
      04-29-2010 01:47 PM #17
      Apps no one has mentioned that I use daily:

Notify Me - SIMPLE reminder app that uses push and has never let me down.
      Awesome Note - VERY COMPLEX note taking app that organizes all my lists, notes, to do's, etc.

My beloved JB apps:

Volume Media Settings - Allows use of volume rocker for ipod skip forward/back...awesome for using in car.
      3G Unrestrictor - Tricks apps into thinking you're on wifi...better youtube videos and higher quality XM radio.
      QuickReply for SMS - In-app texting as well as texting from lockscreen.
      Quick Dismiss - Dismisses the text bubble by tapping home button.
      Universal Search - Search the web from spotlight...very cool for searching amazon, ebay, images, etc.
      SafariQuitter - Kills Safari every time you close the app to free up memory...apple's default is to let it run constantly in the background.
      iPodPop - Double home button tap always brings up the overlay ipod controls.
      UserAgent Faker - Tricks websites and gives the full web page, not a mobile version (SBS toggle)
      Backgrounder - Multitasking
      Bosspaper - Customizing without Winterboard
      Rotation Inhibitor - stops the damn rotating madness. (SBS toggle)
      20 Second Lock Screen
      Weather Icon
      5 Icon Dock
      Shrink

18. 05-11-2010 09:53 AM #18
      I really try not to be an app h0re with a million apps as my iphone is only a 8g and I like my music more.

Anywho the following are all free ones, oh and I do use these:

Wikipanion - self explained
      Wikihow - very interesting and very useful
      Google Earth - self explained
      Around Me - locates your current location and list everything around you. An awesome app if your out of town.
      AAA Discounts - If you have AAA its nice app to have as it list all of the places you can get a AAA discount in your area
      Converter+ - self explained
      Dictionary - self explained, it does what I need it to do.
      Flixter - No iphone should be with out it
      Pandora - No iphone should be without it
      Drinks - Nice to have, I wish it included wines to be truely a one stop shop.
      Backgrounds - Good quality pics and plenty of content but I'm about finished with it.
      Bump - a fun and convienent way to exchange contacts with fellow iphone buddies. I really like this app people are amazed when they see this.
      Photobucket - an absolute must have if you have a photobucket account. Its waaayyy easier to upload pics on web sites with this.
      Emoji - the best smilie app in the app store for your phone.
      Planets - cool and interesting but the novelty whears off and you'll be deleting after a while.
      Vtie - step by step how to tie ties, good to have if needed, but another temporary app.

Games

Scribattle - fun time killer
      Tictaktouch - good classic game to have
      Fastlane - good entry level racecar game for my daughter with decent graphics
      Paper Toss - fun time killer
      Action Bowling - good classic game to have
      Parking - one of the more difficult games and can be very boring (not recommended)
      Angry Birds - app store top 25 free games, very fun.

19. 05-11-2010 10:08 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by duke_seb View Post
      Quote, originally posted by RENOG »

watch for sales..... it usually isnt but it was when i picked it up

also if you follow apple deals an stuff 1password usually comes up as part of some set of discounts

Ok thanks. I really want a nice app to store my passwords but don't want to pay for it. Currently I keep them in my notes.

Vehicles
      1932 Prolecrusher Imperiale, 2076 Voss Nose Molestahedron 88
      05-30-2010 09:07 PM #20
      Simplenote is pretty cool. It's just like the Apple notes app, except for no weird Post-It motif, no Comic Sans, and moreover, web and desktop syncing.
      Look, Octopius, it is my website! | 遠慮せずに食べてください。| 🐒

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      06-14-2010 11:35 AM #21
      what is a good spreadsheet or financial log application?

I usually use notepad to enter purchases or payments, and then manually total them at the end of the week. Something that pulls from actual statements like Mint is not what I am looking for.

Perhaps a simple spreadsheet tool like Excel where I can create simple formulas is probably the best description for what I am looking for...

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2010 01:48 PM #22
      Might as well check out QuickOffice.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

23. 06-16-2010 12:01 PM #23
      http://www.asurion.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobil...371405127?mt=8

Description

MobileProtect – the best way to insure your iPhone

It’s inevitable…accidents happen. When they do, we’ve got you covered. The MobileProtect App runs a few tests to ensure your phone is eligible for coverage. If your phone qualifies, then you can enroll in MobileProtect with Asurion. Please note you must have activated or upgraded your iPhone in the past 30 days to qualify.

● What’s Covered ●

✓ Loss ✓ Theft ✓ Cracked Screens ✓ Water Damage ✓ Other Damage ✓ Out of Warranty Failure (mechanical & electrical)

● What You Get ●

✓ Replacement iPhone without paying full retail
      ✓ Next day delivery (cut-offs as late as 9PM ET)
      ✓ Peace of mind that you're covered
      ✓ Easy online claims 24/7/365

● What You Don’t Get ●

✓ No huge upfront or replacement costs
      ✓ No appointments
      ✓ No leaving your phone to be worked on

by tewfus

I've been waiting for this for almost three years. I'll gladly pay $13.99 per month so I don't have to pay $600 the next time my iPhone gets stolen.
      For $14.99 to cover lost or stolen Iphones. I might want to look into this for your new I-phone. Heck when I CSR I had to tell people that Applecare plan didn't cover lost or stolen

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2010 02:25 PM #24
      Just said "F*CK YEAH" to an empty room, upon seeing the latest update for Pandora on iPhone.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      06-21-2010 04:50 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
      Just said "F*CK YEAH" to an empty room, upon seeing the latest update for Pandora on iPhone.
      anything special besides multitasking on the app?

26. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2010 06:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      anything special besides multitasking on the app?
      That was enough to make me JIZZ. IN. MY PANTS.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

27. 06-25-2010 10:47 AM #27
      Anyone have any experience with a spy app for the iPhone? My boss purchased a couple 3GS phones for his kids and on top of disabling the internet and youtube, he wants to be able to monitor their calls and texts in addition to being able to track them. I'm researching it but figured I would ask here also for anyone that has hands on experience with these apps. TIA

28. 07-11-2010 12:56 PM #28
      Here are my favorite iApps

- Runkeeper is fabulous... I use it almost everyday. Now with multitasking it works even better.

- Pocket Informant http://pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pocketinformant_iphone; the basic calendar and free todo managers suck. PI is expensive (got it at 50%, 6$ instead of 12$), but I love it. It allows to wake you up and nothing to touch. Now I can forget that Palm Treo (no kidding I was still using it to wake me up). Also I rarely saw a PDA company with such support and transparency on what's coming.

- Handbase http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPhone.html. A very customizable wireless database that you can connect to an enterprise DB through ODBC; almost a dream come true. You can't use forms, yet it doesn't feel crude.

I am not a gamer, but wow Scramble is addictive.
      Last edited by Saintor; 07-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      07-12-2010 06:39 PM #29
      Only for those in ATL or NYC

ScoutMob

It's awesome for those visiting or living in either of those 2 areas. There are TONS of 50-60% off coupons to several restraurants. You just show your server your phone w/ the coupon, they enter some stuff and make the coupon no longer valid. Your next visit will be only 10% off but they have special coupons for frequent customers.

A friend and I used it last week and our $90 tab was dropped to 55 (tip included). We used his phone but I downloaded the app and we can revisit and use my coupon next time It's a 'must have' app for those that like to go out to eat in either city...they also say they will expand to more cities.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      '03 PG GLi
      07-19-2010 12:10 PM #30
      I'll admit i didn't read every single app mentioned in here, but i'll just add what i use the most.

-Siri: I feel this app is a great representation the capabilities of what we are able to do with mobile phones today. It's a personal assistant app that has many different functions. What i use the most is for buying movie tickets. I simple speak one sentence, and 2-4 clicks later i've purchase tickets for a movie later that evening. This app is PERFECT for those with sig. others/wives/husbands. Dinner recommendations/reservations, events, taxis downtown, etc.
      -Camera+: I very recently bought this app (couple bucks on sale right now) but have been loving the features i get with it. The photo editing is fun to play around with (few more options than the Photoshop app, but not as detailed) but has a much nicer layout for saving/editing/deleting pics taken
      -ESPN and Sportstacular: I like em both enough to keep em around. Sportstac for current games/schedules/standings and ESPN for news/alerts/top stories

Obvious apps to have are Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, Google, Angry Birds, Flickr
      |||Eurowerks5||| ***The Midwest's Premiere European Car Show*** |||June 25, 2011|||

"I need the life version of Icy-Hot"

Flickr

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      08-04-2010 05:41 PM #31
      Anyone have a list of cool (safe) jailbreak apps available? That list is too long and vague for me to tell what's good or not. Because I've done it and I'm thinking of reverting because there really is nothing I see that I need necessarily.
      Last edited by titleist1976; 08-04-2010 at 05:45 PM.

08-04-2010 06:10 PM #32
      The big ones for me are the ability to tether - PDANet and MyWi are popular ones - the latter turning your phone into a wifi hotspot for multiple devices. The other ones being SBsettings, which aggregates all of the settings you might want to quickly toggle into one place, and Backgrounder which does just what it sounds like (which is now much less necessary - although there are still plenty of apps that have not been updated). I know another popular one transforms SMS to allow you to reply quickly without leaving the program you are in - I just don't text enough to make this necessary.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

33. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2010 06:13 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Anyone have a list of cool (safe) jailbreak apps available? That list is too long and vague for me to tell what's good or not. Because I've done it and I'm thinking of reverting because there really is nothing I see that I need necessarily.
      On 3.1.x, I was a huge fan of Music Controls, which filled the gap (and still does, really) left by the Apple lockscreen music controls. Not sure what the compatibility is with iOS 4.x.

If you're not a fan of the iOS 4 implementation of "folders," I'd recommend Overboard. It's like Mac OS X's Exposé, but for your springboard app screens.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      08-04-2010 06:29 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      The big ones for me are the ability to tether - PDANet and MyWi are popular ones - the latter turning your phone into a wifi hotspot for multiple devices. The other ones being SBsettings, which aggregates all of the settings you might want to quickly toggle into one place, and Backgrounder which does just what it sounds like (which is now much less necessary - although there are still plenty of apps that have not been updated). I know another popular one transforms SMS to allow you to reply quickly without leaving the program you are in - I just don't text enough to make this necessary.
      Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post

If you're not a fan of the iOS 4 implementation of "folders," I'd recommend Overboard. It's like Mac OS X's Exposé, but for your springboard app screens.

Thanks and thanks. Though I do like the folders. I'm still waiting for that on my iPad. It's run amok with applications and it's obnoxious.

What's the difference between winterboard, springboard, summer board, and the rest of the boards? Is Cydia the best/only place to grab apps?

35. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-04-2010 07:01 PM #35
      Springboard is the actual Apple term for your home screen manager. When jailbreaking first started happening, one developer thought it was cute to call their modification "Summerboard." As time went on, Summerboard became obsolete because OS 2.0 introduced multiple pages, so they made a whole new one called Winterboard.

Another set of reasons to jailbreak: see here. I didn't know about one or two of the things he mentions, so that's pretty cool.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast