Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Cabrio VR6

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      04-29-2010 12:02 PM #1
      With all of the years that I have messed with VW's, I have always loved the Mk3's and never owned a Cabrio, though I have always wanted to buy one for my wife to enjoy of her own. Well, when you get one, it seems that you end up with two - one for parts or a second project. This second car has ended up being a project. I went a few weeks back and bought a 95 Cabrio to possibly build as a project car. Tomorrow, the car will be delivered to me and the strip down of the car will begin. For the most part, the car is in decent shape as far as the body goes, but the interior and top are trashed, along with the motor and transmission. Luckily, it was going to be pulled and tossed for scrap. Today, I went to the auction and bought a 99 Mk3 Jetta GLX for the necessary VR6 swap parts. It will be delivered tomorrow also and the tear down will begin. I will post pictures of the project car from begining to end as I start this project. I have already acquired several parts that I know that I will need and over the next several months, will be buying and trading parts that I have from the donor car to get what I need for the Cabrio. There are several things planned for the car, but the major things I cannot disclose at this time, it will be a surprise to most everyone that knows me, though a few are already aware of the parts that I have coming or already have and they are keeping quite. Tomorrow, I will post pictures of the starting point and as things progress, I will post updates and pictures.

Facts on the project that have been made known:
      RHD Conversion
      24V VR6 Conversion
      Forced Induction [details will not fully made known until the debut]
      Color, Interior, Wheels and etc are all theme based [another secret : ) ].
      Last edited by Rheinland Technik; 09-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 07:24 AM #2
      Today will be the day that both my Cabrio and donor Jetta arrive. I will post pics this evening.

Vehicles
      04-30-2010 10:29 PM #3
      The Cabrio and Jetta arrived today, but I spent time cleaning under the hood of the Cabby and trying to get the VR6 to fire up. Sadly, no pictures, but even worse, the VR6 has an issue with the head, possibly a broken timing chain, because the motor soudn like no compression in the cylinders and the rear cam isn't turning when the motor is turned over. Overall, the motor looks good, even though there are issues, real clean looking on the outside, with no corrosion on any of the aluminum parts. So, the head will come off and I will fix what I need to get it running and proceed with building a new motor like I had planned anyway. At least the donor car has all of the parts I need to do the swap. I am seeing about getting some pelletized dry ice to pack under the hood on the frame rails to lift the grime stained caked wax coating off of things so that it will be easier to prep for paint work.

Vehicles
      05-02-2010 07:54 AM #4
      I spent the better part of the evening stripping the interior from the car. The dash and most of the wiring is out of the car. Today, I will take the drivers seat, rear seat, rear door panels and the carpet out so that I can pull the old ABS harness out of the car and the rear wiring harness so that I can check for any issues and clean it up for reuse or I may end up using the Jetta harness so that I can integrate a rear window swith other than the ones on the dash. This is so that the rear passengers can vent or close the rear windows if needed without having to reach up front.

When I removed the dash, I also removed the HVAC box so that I can change the firewall pads to the newer donor car pieces. There wre signs of infestation from the car sitting in a storage barn for nearly two years. Tearing the car down to a bare shell will let me clean everything out and will also make it easier for a color change for when it goes out for paint and body work. I am undesided as to what color the car will be. With it's current Classic Green Metalic, which can look real nice but I want to do something different, so I am looking at several colors (suggestions welcomed).

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      05-02-2010 09:41 AM #5
      i finished the same project about a month ago. it's alot of fun man, good luck with it!

05-02-2010 09:46 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Rheinland Technik »
      I may end up using the Jetta harness so that I can integrate a rear window switch other than the ones on the dash. This is so that the rear passengers can vent or close the rear windows if needed without having to reach up front.

I always wanted to see this done. I figured there MUST be a way to do it, but I cannot read the Bentley schematics well enough to do it.

Quote, originally posted by Rheinland Technik »
      I am undesided as to what color the car will be. With it's current Classic Green Metalic, which can look real nice but I want to do something different, so I am looking at several colors (suggestions welcomed).

As for the color, why not the 96 only color Cinnabar?

My name is...Shake-Zula. The mic-rula, The old schoolah, Ya wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya. Frylock and I'm on top Rock you like a cop Meatwad you up next with your knock-knock. Meatwad make the money, see. Meatwad get the honeys, G. Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus. Check it. Check, check it. 'Cuz we drive the Cabrios, make the homies say ho! and the girlies wanna scream.

Vehicles
      05-03-2010 05:41 AM #7
      The interior is 100% ripped out as of late yesterday afternoon. I pressure washed the inside of the car and am working on getting access to a hotsy so that I can address the heavy grease and grime that is still holding on under the hood and in the fender wells an so on. I have borrowed a small trailer and the metal that I removed from the car is going to the recycle center. The carpet, door panels and trim all all being trashed, as they are trashed. I removed the complete wiring harness and the only wiring left is the rear hatch wiring and the harness that is still on the hood for the heated washer nozzles. I stripped the auto trans and abs harness of all the connectors in case I need to custom build something and salvaged the good wire. This evening will be removal of the rear bumper and more cleaning. The top will most likely come off this coming weekend. Still, I haven't had time for pictures, but I will get some soon. They will most likely be of the bare shell on stands with no suspension. I also need to remove the fuel tank and the exhaust, more to recycle.

Vehicles
      05-04-2010 11:03 AM #8
      Yesterday I didn't do a thing to the Cabrio, but today when I get home, I will attempt to remove the old exhaust and toss it onto the scrap pile. It will not be needed for the VR6. Hopefully the fuel tank will be removed this evening as I need to clean up under the car as best as possible.

Vehicles
      05-04-2010 02:21 PM #9
      Later this week, I will post some pics of my starting point, which is a bare shell. I will also post things that I will not need in the classifieds from both the Cabrio and Jetta GLX that I will not need or would want to trade for things that I do need. I hope that in a few hours I will be pulling the exhaust from the car and dropping the fuel tank. If I am lucky, I may be able to get it up on jack stands to start cleaning out the underside. I did call a friend about doing some paintless dent work to save from having much if any body filler in the body. That will make paint work much easier. I did get in a new set of door handles yesterday, but I will need to re-key them to match my ignition switch, but will most likely order a new one from the dealer so that I have genuine VW keys. I have already removed the rear hatch lock assembly from the MK3.5 hatch and have it ready to re-key. Thankfully, I have a factory kit for doing locks. It is always nice to have one key to fit all the locks throughout the car.

I am considering paiting the car back to the Classic Green Metalic, but also have one other color in mind that I think it will most likely come down to if it becomes a color change. I guess it will not be know until after it goes to the body shop.

10. 05-04-2010 05:22 PM #10
      club Grim Water
      "When there's no more room in Hell"

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      05-04-2010 05:30 PM #11
      This thread is useless with no PICs of the work in progress.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      2004 A4, 2005 lotus elise 111R, 2004 S4 Avant 6sp, 82 caddy diesel
      05-07-2010 12:07 AM #12
      i love mine , its alos a mk3.5

Last edited by EvilVento2.oT; 05-07-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: mohr pictar

Vehicles
      05-07-2010 07:54 AM #13
      The Cabrio Project continues to make progress, though no changes were made to the status yesterday. Here are a few pics of the progress and by the end of this weekend, I hope to have the passenger side door changed over to the new one that I picked up and have the rear bumper removed and everything cleaner than what it is now. The thing that remains on the underside is the suspension and the brake lines, but it will stay until after paint. I spoke with my paintless dent removal buddy and I hope that he will be able to come by and straighten out the quarters to nearly eliminate the need for filler in the body. Tomorrow morning will be a trip to the salvage yard to look for parts that can be used.

Vehicles
      05-07-2010 07:03 PM #14
      Tomorrow morning, will be making a trip to a local recycle yard to see what things can be found for the Cabrio that may be needed. The other weekend yielded a Mk3.5 rear lid, a replacement passenger sidedoor and a load of rubber trim parts to replace the older pieces. Shooting for extra spare parts to put back if needed.

Vehicles
      05-08-2010 01:43 PM #15
      Picked up a right rear quarter window to replace the shattered one in the Cabrio today along with additional rubber and interior trim pieces for $27.

Vehicles
      VW Mk3 Cabrio
      05-10-2010 07:40 PM #16
      Any updates?
      I Know One Nerd With Underwear Near Istanbul Sitting Alone Near A Street Sign Holding Onto Loser Expectations

Vehicles
      05-10-2010 07:52 PM #17
      Smooth Euro front bumper and radiator support arrived today. Hopefully the weekend at SOWO will provide a few good finds on additional parts for the Cabrio. If not, a list will be sent to my suppliers in Germany to send over some fresh parts.

Vehicles
      05-13-2010 07:50 AM #18
      An order of parts came in last night. A head set, a motor mount and several suspension pieces all came in and were set aside with the other parts that are being gathered for installation. A new hood was ordered from VW yesterday and door clips for the moldings that will be used. Will be heading to SOWO tomorrow and enjoying the weekend and taking pictures of the show.

Vehicles
      05-17-2010 08:25 AM #19
      Spent the weekend at SOWO in Helen, GA. A few cabrios were there at the show and saw many old friends that I haven't seen in a while. Starting back to work on the Cabrio this week.

Vehicles
      05-19-2010 08:32 PM #20
      Parts arrived from VW today. A new top assembly and a new hood. Will have to call them back tomorrow about two pieces of molding that were the wrong part and the missing door clips.

Vehicles
      05-22-2010 03:56 PM #21
      Went to the parts yard today to look for new arrivals, only a Mk4 Jetta 2.0 came in, so I will return next weekend to see if anything else will be in and pick up a black canvas top as a spare to hang onto. I have been thinking about a set of Mk4 seats to install into the Cabrio, so I am looking too what 2 door seats I can locate from a GTI. Mocked up the supercharger brackets Thursday afternoon as the final proto-type part was finished and it all fit perfect. The changes that have been made will finalize this coming week and the design will head off to the machine shop to make a billet set. The mock-up charger will ship out next week so that all of the required hardware can be fabricated for the special fitment requirements. A unique oiling setup will be used to make the system trick.

Vehicles
      05-25-2010 05:35 AM #22
      Received some material samples for possible interior choices today. Will see what the upholstery shop says about them.

Vehicles
      06-07-2010 10:47 AM #23
      Spoke with the paint rep the other day and have given him two different paint codes to look at. They are the candidates for the final color scheme of the Cabrio. The paint materials will be graciously donated for the project, which I will thank them once everything is complete, along with everyone else that has and is involved in this special project. Over the weekend, I picked up a set of Audi TT front calipers and carriers for possible use on the project. They will be cleaned and refinished to match everything as things progress. I haven't moved forward on any onter thing until I receive some much needed paperwork. Once it is in hand, there will be more pictures and a massive update on what is going on with the project.

Vehicles
      06-17-2010 11:22 AM #24
      The paint arrives this weekend for the Cabrio. Also in three weeks, we are taking a trip to pick up a few parts for the project. Looking forward to the trip and will post pics of what we get.

06-22-2010 08:00 AM #25
      for progress....will you be at either waterfest or H20i?
      My name is...Shake-Zula. The mic-rula, The old schoolah, Ya wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya. Frylock and I'm on top Rock you like a cop Meatwad you up next with your knock-knock. Meatwad make the money, see. Meatwad get the honeys, G. Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus. Check it. Check, check it. 'Cuz we drive the Cabrios, make the homies say ho! and the girlies wanna scream.

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 04:38 PM #26
      the car will most likely be finished by SOWO '11. I doubt that it will be done before then, but it all depends on what assistance I get over the build. It is possible that I may go up to H2O but it will be without the Cabrio, or at least this one. It all depends on prior commitments, of which I will know dates on this coming weekend. My buddy who does painless dent removal came by the other day to look at the body work that is needed that he can take care of before it goes to the shop. Hopefully, he will be by this week or next to take care of the majority of the work. Only a few other things will need attention when it makes it to the shop. The passenger side door will be replaced due to a brush with a tree or other object. the rest is a matter of filling a hole or two and fixing a small sport of rust. Other than that, it is a good sanding and building a foundation for paint. Dupont paint is in hand and the motor build will start soon.

Vehicles
      07-03-2010 07:08 PM #27
      After a long wait on things, we are moving ahead on the Cabrio. Title is being processed and paint is in hand. It will be an unusual color I must say. This coming Thursday will be our trip up North to pick up a few items that we have been patiently waiting on and will give us a chance to see some family that we haven't seen in a while. Looking forward to the trip. Once we return from our trip, we will be knocking out some body work and getting things prepped for paint. Some parts returned from the finishers that we had anodized and will look great once they make their way onto the engine.

Vehicles
      07-12-2010 12:14 PM #28
      Just returned from our trip to PA early this morning at 2:30 and will be unloading the truck with all of the European goodness that we picked up from Orchid Euro. Thanks to Jamie for his help in getting the parts that we needed and giving us a tour of the warehouse and all. We will definately be sending more business your way. We would also like to thank our host and family for the place to stay and the wonderful hospitality. We will post some pics of our parts that we have to go on the Cabrio.

Vehicles
      07-12-2010 07:30 PM #29
      Here is a major piece for the Cabrio, the RHD swap. It is a 97 VR6 Highline donor from the UK. It and the 99 Jetta GLX will be used to convert the Cabrio over and add in the features that the RHD doesn't have such as cruise control and factory alarm. I pulled the carpet panel out and the lower knee and kick panels out today and will be clenaing them up and getting them ready for the conversion. Over the next few days, I will strip the conversion down and start getting things freshened up and prepped for the install. Thanks to Jamie at Orchid Euro for sourcing the conversion for us.

07-13-2010 12:16 PM #30
      Well this looks as if it will be getting interesting. Especially with the RHD conversion. It will be nice to see another RHD Mk3 in the states.
      “We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio sold, 97 Impreza Wagon
      07-13-2010 04:40 PM #31
      Durty Dubs

32. 07-16-2010 12:52 AM #32
      any updates?

07-19-2010 05:59 PM #33
      nice nice!!!

Vehicles
      07-25-2010 04:30 PM #34
      Spent the day dis-assembling the RHD. The swap is completely apart, minus the removal of the k-member from the body and removing the needed power steering rack. I will be removing it tomorrow evening most likely, it it doesn't get pulled this evening. It will be then time to pull the firewall from the Cabrio and get it ready for it's new driving perspective. Hopefully body work will be within the next few weeks. With the heat that we are having, I know that they are busy trying to keep cool. More parts have arrived also. A new set of a-arms along with some TT/R32 rear bushings came in and a new radiator will be ordered on Monday along with some other needed parts.

Vehicles
      07-31-2010 08:16 AM #35
      Monday will see the final parts removed from the RHD swap. This weekend is a somewhat relaxing weekend in Florida and picking up Cabrio related parts. I have a couple pieces that I need to pick up to cover everything for the interior and those will be ordered on Monday. I have decided to extend the engine harness rather than intergrate two harnesses together into one harness. Though it will have some extra plugs that will not be used, I will have to decide if I will remove them or hide them.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast