Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Cabrio VR6

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      06-22-2010 04:38 PM #26
      the car will most likely be finished by SOWO '11. I doubt that it will be done before then, but it all depends on what assistance I get over the build. It is possible that I may go up to H2O but it will be without the Cabrio, or at least this one. It all depends on prior commitments, of which I will know dates on this coming weekend. My buddy who does painless dent removal came by the other day to look at the body work that is needed that he can take care of before it goes to the shop. Hopefully, he will be by this week or next to take care of the majority of the work. Only a few other things will need attention when it makes it to the shop. The passenger side door will be replaced due to a brush with a tree or other object. the rest is a matter of filling a hole or two and fixing a small sport of rust. Other than that, it is a good sanding and building a foundation for paint. Dupont paint is in hand and the motor build will start soon.

Vehicles
      07-03-2010 07:08 PM #27
      After a long wait on things, we are moving ahead on the Cabrio. Title is being processed and paint is in hand. It will be an unusual color I must say. This coming Thursday will be our trip up North to pick up a few items that we have been patiently waiting on and will give us a chance to see some family that we haven't seen in a while. Looking forward to the trip. Once we return from our trip, we will be knocking out some body work and getting things prepped for paint. Some parts returned from the finishers that we had anodized and will look great once they make their way onto the engine.

Vehicles
      07-12-2010 12:14 PM #28
      Just returned from our trip to PA early this morning at 2:30 and will be unloading the truck with all of the European goodness that we picked up from Orchid Euro. Thanks to Jamie for his help in getting the parts that we needed and giving us a tour of the warehouse and all. We will definately be sending more business your way. We would also like to thank our host and family for the place to stay and the wonderful hospitality. We will post some pics of our parts that we have to go on the Cabrio.

Vehicles
      07-12-2010 07:30 PM #29
      Here is a major piece for the Cabrio, the RHD swap. It is a 97 VR6 Highline donor from the UK. It and the 99 Jetta GLX will be used to convert the Cabrio over and add in the features that the RHD doesn't have such as cruise control and factory alarm. I pulled the carpet panel out and the lower knee and kick panels out today and will be clenaing them up and getting them ready for the conversion. Over the next few days, I will strip the conversion down and start getting things freshened up and prepped for the install. Thanks to Jamie at Orchid Euro for sourcing the conversion for us.

07-13-2010 12:16 PM #30
      Well this looks as if it will be getting interesting. Especially with the RHD conversion. It will be nice to see another RHD Mk3 in the states.
      “We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio sold, 97 Impreza Wagon
      07-13-2010 04:40 PM #31
      Durty Dubs

7. 07-16-2010 12:52 AM #32
      any updates?

07-19-2010 05:59 PM #33
      nice nice!!!

Vehicles
      07-25-2010 04:30 PM #34
      Spent the day dis-assembling the RHD. The swap is completely apart, minus the removal of the k-member from the body and removing the needed power steering rack. I will be removing it tomorrow evening most likely, it it doesn't get pulled this evening. It will be then time to pull the firewall from the Cabrio and get it ready for it's new driving perspective. Hopefully body work will be within the next few weeks. With the heat that we are having, I know that they are busy trying to keep cool. More parts have arrived also. A new set of a-arms along with some TT/R32 rear bushings came in and a new radiator will be ordered on Monday along with some other needed parts.

Vehicles
      07-31-2010 08:16 AM #35
      Monday will see the final parts removed from the RHD swap. This weekend is a somewhat relaxing weekend in Florida and picking up Cabrio related parts. I have a couple pieces that I need to pick up to cover everything for the interior and those will be ordered on Monday. I have decided to extend the engine harness rather than intergrate two harnesses together into one harness. Though it will have some extra plugs that will not be used, I will have to decide if I will remove them or hide them.

Vehicles
      08-02-2010 11:28 AM #36
      Spoke to our interior shop that we use today and talked about the colors and concept that we have imagined for the car. Heading over to speak with the top manufacturer about a custom top for the car here in a few minutes.

Vehicles
      08-05-2010 08:17 AM #37
      Waiting for a euro rear bumper reinforcement to arrive and some new tie rods for the steering rack. I will be removing the original hood and pulling the front fenders off today so that I can remove the passenger side door and plug the antenna hole on the drivers fender.

Vehicles
      08-07-2010 04:11 PM #38
      Picked up a very nice black canvas top, complete with frame and door seals, along with a set of rear seat belts for $50 today at the salvage yard. It will make it's way to the Cabrio one day. Tomorrow, I hope to remove the firewall from the Cabrio along with the steering column to get it ready for the new parts. I will also work on removing the original top from the car and any contents of parts for the car so it is completely stripped and ready for paint.

Vehicles
      08-13-2010 11:40 AM #39
      Textured top front bumper came in yesterday along with flares and mouldings. This weekend is a non-Project car weekend, as we have work to do for higher authority.

Vehicles
      08-17-2010 12:47 PM #40
      Good news for the project moving forward today. I got word that the title has arrived and will be transfered into a NC title in a matter of a couple of days. I have been waiting three months for getting the replacement title resolved as it was stolen from the previous owner. I will be tearing it down more this week and getting it ready for the RHD and suspension to go in. I also have a buddy that will be coming by to pressure wash it a final time with his "Hotsy" pressure washer to remove all of the grime and wax under the hood so that fresh paint will look nice and smooth in the engine bay. I will be going to the salvage yard on Saturday with the intent to pick up a few pieces that I have been wanting to get, hopefully I can get them, as they are a nice set of window regulators that I could use.

Vehicles
      08-19-2010 06:55 PM #41
      Finally stripped the crossmember out of the donor and removed the RHD steering rack from it. Will work this weekend on cleaning it up and getting the new tie rods and boots installed.

Vehicles
      08-19-2010 08:25 PM #42
      Unless I can get some decent coilovers, I will be ordering this:

Vehicles
      08-22-2010 01:35 PM #43
      Yesterday was a no go on working on the Cabrio, as work ruled that out. So today, in the time that I wasn't helping do some mods on a Mk2 VR6, I managed to remove the frontwall and brake unit from the car, along with the steering column. I also removed the passenger side door, which is being replaced with a dent free unit and I pulled the front fenders so futher cleaning can be performed and filling the antenna hole can be done with greater ease. This will also make the color change much easier. I will need to strip the doors down to bare shells and remove the old top, but that will happen just before the body shop.

08-22-2010 04:24 PM #44
      i dont believe the rear tie bar will work in a cabrio.

Vehicles
      08-22-2010 05:36 PM #45
      No it will not fit and will not be used, which is an option anyway.

08-22-2010 07:44 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Rheinland Technik View Post
      No it will not fit and will not be used, which is an option anyway.
      As far as a sway bar, I run the O-Bar unit on my cabrio (mounts inside the rear beam) and I like it. As others have stated, there is no need for a rear stress bar on a Cabrio
      My name is...Shake-Zula. The mic-rula, The old schoolah, Ya wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya. Frylock and I'm on top Rock you like a cop Meatwad you up next with your knock-knock. Meatwad make the money, see. Meatwad get the honeys, G. Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus. Check it. Check, check it. 'Cuz we drive the Cabrios, make the homies say ho! and the girlies wanna scream.

Vehicles
      08-23-2010 07:28 PM #47
      Removed the hood and rear bumper rebar today. I have a new hood and a Euro rear rebar to go back on the Cabrio. Waiting on a guy to come pick up the old hood, he is replacing his Jetta front end on his Golf. Working on spraying simple green on the fender wells to clean them up.

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 12:45 PM #48
      When it comes time to put the Cabrio together, it will requires som fabrication under the dash, as I intend to retain the cruise control from the '99 Mk3 Jetta donor. Since the RHD did not come with it, a bracket or two will have to be fabbed to connect the gas pedal to the cruise control vacuum bellow and mod the bellow to mount to the column support. This afternoon will involve more cleaning and most likely be cleaning out the parts that I plan on reusing from the trunk and interior compartment and putting them up in the storage room with all of the new parts. I will also try blocking off the air inlet opening on the right side of the car and cutting the new opening out on the left side. Luckily, the RHD uses a factory made panel that will transfer over to the Cabrio and will only required sealing it in place with seam sealer. I will start tearing the donor Jetta down here soon so that I can start prepping parts for the install and new parts to replace the old. I have a new set of a-arms with ball joints and bushing so I can start some of the assembly of things and if I get the crossmember cleaned and painted, it can be ready to install the swaybar when it is ordered. This will also allow me to install the steering rack and have it ready as well.

There is a lot of back story on the car that I haven't mentioned as of yet, but it will be an interesting one once it is ready to reveal things. I have the color scheme fully planned out along with the top color and interior materials and placement. I have to step it up a little here soon and get my presentation completed to send out to a few vendors that I have been in contact with so that they will commit to the project. As soon as I get the presentation complete and commitments confirmed, I will post the concept drawings here for all to see.

Vehicles
      08-28-2010 08:37 PM #49
      Took the daily out today and got it inspected, then went to the salvage yard and picked up a few parts. I ended up getting three of the four needed window regulators, just need a manual drivers door regulator to complete the set. I also picked up a rear seat to use which will eventually get covered when he interior is done. Then it was off to Nuclear Invasion.

Vehicles
      96 Cabby, 65 type 1, 03 B5.5 wagon, 92 Jetta
      08-29-2010 07:35 PM #50
      Now that I know who this is, I will follow it a little closer.

Interesting project man!. can't wait to see it done!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast