Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil - Anyone Ever Used It?

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16v, 1990 Golf GL, 2007 Audi A3
      04-30-2010 10:46 AM #1
      Contemplating putting it in my 90 Golf. Have heard it makes the engine happy and removes deposits and such.

Vehicles
      1985 Mercedes 190D
      04-30-2010 10:47 AM #2
      i have used it in mowers and ****, not sure if it worked or not. seems to help in 2 strokes for lubrication, though.

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16v, 1990 Golf GL, 2007 Audi A3
      04-30-2010 10:50 AM #3
      My dad says its the deal. He said they used it back in the day and it will make the engine last forever.

Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, E34 540i
      04-30-2010 10:51 AM #4
      My Scirocco had been sitting for a year and the CIS-e was completely gummed up and would only run for 45-60 seconds. At the suggestion of vwdaun I dumped half a bottle of MMO in my tank. 3 starts later and my fuel distributer was de-gummified. Been running like a top since.

MMO

The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

Tschüß Gilda
      Hallo Birgit

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      04-30-2010 10:53 AM #5
      I think of Marvel Mystery oil as something good to put a few ounces into the spark plug holes of an engine right before an extended storage period, such as parking a car, or winterizing lawn equipment. It keeps the rings from sticking to the cylinder walls, and it keeps moisture from rusting ridges around the pistons.

But nowadays, there are many competing "Upper Cylinder Lubricant" type of products. These are not to be confused with fuel injector cleaner type products. Lucas (the oil company) makes one of the top selling ones.

6. 04-30-2010 11:31 AM #6
      I run this in all 3 of my 4 wheelers (all 2 strokers) and I have yet see an issue. I also run this in my El Camino - both gas and oil. Keeps the sludgification from starting.

7. 04-30-2010 11:34 AM #7
      the sheet works!

i've used it to codition engines that have been i storage.

it quieted the weak valve in my type 4.

it helped my beat to snot gto live longer than it should have.

it certainly won't hurt anything.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-30-2010 11:35 AM #8
      yes.

In everything from cars, trucks to lawnmowers.

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

9. 04-30-2010 12:24 PM #9
      yeah, figured it can't hurt. I'd have to do a teardown to see if it really helped.

10. 04-30-2010 12:33 PM #10
      I have used it on several older cars with decent results. Many a vintage Ferrari owner has turned to Marvel's to fend off a dreaded $25k motor rebuild.

I remember reading an article where Keith Martin (www.sportscarmarket.com) used it in a 330 GT he had bought that had been sitting for quite awhile with great results.

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-30-2010 12:35 PM #11

my standard answer is that I don't put anything in my oil except oil... and BG products, ZDDP additive and Marvel Mystery Oil. I can't think of another additive that I'd use. MMO is good stuff!

MMO is also the lubricant for the old Judson Supercharger. These were little vane type superchargers for imported cars in the '60s. Naturally, I'm most familiar with the VW version. Notice in the photo that the container on the left has it right in there. The nice thing is that it not only lubes the supercharger, it keeps the valves clean, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

12. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-30-2010 12:37 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by tgodbout »
      I remember reading an article where Keith Martin (www.sportscarmarket.com) used it in a 330 GT he had bought that had been sitting for quite awhile with great results.

I could believe it. If I were tinkering with an old engine that had been sitting for quite a while, I'd pull the plugs and put it in there and let it sit for a day or two before trying to move it. If I were in a pinch, I'd use ATF, but I'd rather use MMO.

13. 04-30-2010 12:41 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Air and water do mix »

I could believe it. If I were tinkering with an old engine that had been sitting for quite a while, I'd pull the plugs and put it in there and let it sit for a day or two before trying to move it. If I were in a pinch, I'd use ATF, but I'd rather use MMO.

a friend of mine told me to use atf over mmo, but i didn't like the sound of that. only problem was that the engine was a 1915cc aircooled, so i poored it in the plug holes, then it ran out the exhaust ports! doh! lol

it's still in the garage, that mofo is gonna smoke like a mutha when i start it up.

14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-04-2010 01:26 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by water&air »
      a friend of mine told me to use atf over mmo, but i didn't like the sound of that. only problem was that the engine was a 1915cc aircooled, so i poored it in the plug holes, then it ran out the exhaust ports! doh! lol

it's still in the garage, that mofo is gonna smoke like a mutha when i start it up.

Horizontally opposed engines ftw! When I build them, I always make sure that the oil ring has it's gap at the top!

15. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      05-04-2010 01:43 PM #15
      my old vr6 jetta had an oil pump that didnt like to work from hitting one to many road obstacles (many oils pans done on that thing) - but with a little MMO with the oil change it kept it working fine with the oil temp in the right range.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      1969 Porsche 912R, 1969 MB 280 SE coupe, 2004 Volvo XC70, 2010 Ford F-150
      05-04-2010 01:57 PM #16
      MMO is the cat's ass for fixing collapsed hydraulic lifters in the Vanagon engines. Throw a few ounces in, drive it for a 100 km or so, then do an oil change and it seems to clean the crap out and get the lifters quiet again.
      -Keith
      The to-do list is over 726 lines long. One day my cars will run again.

Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      05-04-2010 02:01 PM #17
      Seafoam is my snake oil of choice

Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      2k1/VW/GTI 12v, 99 'Vette FRC
      05-04-2010 02:13 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Mr Wolf »
      MMO is the cat's ass for fixing collapsed hydraulic lifters in the Vanagon engines. Throw a few ounces in, drive it for a 100 km or so, then do an oil change and it seems to clean the crap out and get the lifters quiet again.

I've got just under 200k miles on my 12v VR6 and I use MMO at every oil change. I've been running 4 3/4 quarts of synthetic oil and 1/4 quart of MMO at EVERY oil change for almost 100k miles and the thing runs like a top. MMO says that you can replace up to 20% of your "normal" oil with MMO on the package but I'm not sure about if that would be safe to do for long term. I should tear into the head and see how clean it is/isn't inside. I'm still on the original timing chains too so I may have to do them sooner or later and do some inspecting while I'm in there.

"An AUDI is nothing more than a Volkswagen in a pretty prom dress."
      Stance will make her dance...well, try that "line" at da strip club
      Stretch is for sissies...REAL MEN love sticky meaty tires.

Vehicles
      09CW VW Rabbit w/19"BBS CKs, FK springs/shocks/struts
      05-04-2010 03:09 PM #19
      Just used it on an 83 4runner I picked up through a tow-yard lien sale. There was a pretty loud lifter knock and now it's down to a slightly annoying whisper. (Yeah, I know, I know, get the lifter fixed but it's a budget beater till my wife gets through nursing school.)

20. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-04-2010 05:27 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by sbvwfanatic »
      Just used it on an 83 4runner I picked up through a tow-yard lien sale. There was a pretty loud lifter knock and now it's down to a slightly annoying whisper. (Yeah, I know, I know, get the lifter fixed but it's a budget beater till my wife gets through nursing school.)

Don't worry too much about it. That's what a beater is for. Keep adding a little and see if it gets any quieter.

Vehicles
      A bunch of rusty Kraut cans
      02-15-2013 01:07 AM #21
      My 89 cabby has over 400 k on it I use some of this stuff every couple of months, a bit in the tank, a bit in the crankcase. Works wonders on the lifter tick helps tired hydraulic lifters, nearly eliminates it.

I had a diesel rabbit years ago that I used to put a quart of that stuff in every other month half the quart in the crankcase half the quart in the fuel never had a single fuel problem ever. I drove the hell out of that thing too. All I ever did on it was the timing belt at regular intervals.

Vehicles
      02-15-2013 01:12 AM #22
      Most of the old timers I know that have been working on stuff for years swear by this stuff.

My dad ran a fleet of semi trucks when I was a kid he ran this in every truck he had.

Vehicles
      02-18-2013 10:48 AM #23
      I swapped a motor into my golf yesterday fired it this motor hasn't ran in like 4 years. Right away the valves were clack a lacking like crazy even after running for 15 minutes and pumping up there was still one or two of them were quite loud. Added a half quart of mmo amazing no more noise.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      02-18-2013 10:52 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen View Post
      Seafoam is my snake oil of choice

I've used seafoam, I've never got the big cloud but it does seem to smooth things out a bit. How do the two compare.

02-18-2013 10:54 AM #25
      How does it compare to this snake oil?

02-18-2013 10:56 AM #26
      Wikipedia says Marvel Mystery Oil is 1% Lard.

Gross, I don't think I want to be putting Lard in my car.

Vehicles
      02-18-2013 11:15 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

My great grand mother used to put lard in everything and she lived to 108

28. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-18-2013 11:16 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Make your girlfriend ride on the trunk?

But seriously... Whale oil used to be lamp oil.
      Animal fat was fuel long before we discovered how to refined crude oil.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      08 Cayenne Turbo ~ 68 VW Double Cab
      02-18-2013 11:20 AM #29
      my friend and i built a 1500 single port and ive been running an oiler in my bus since mile 1! i had been adding it to my gas tanks for years, but lubricating and a bit of cooling to the top of the cylinder is a good thing. one day were going to tear it down and see what it looks like.

NOS oilers are still available

30. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-18-2013 11:21 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      My great grand mother used to put lard in everything and she lived to 108
      There is something about natural foods...
      We discover a food substance that is now bad for us and tested an alternative in through lab-even though our grandparents ingested it daily and lived to 95.
      Why we think lab made food is healthier?

31. 02-18-2013 11:30 AM #31
      from my experience it works great! 04 jetta 1.8t rods/ gtx 3076r recently developed a clack seemingly coming from the top of the motor. very noticeable and worried me to no end. research led to possible sludge blocking oil pickup. changed the oil (something i had neglected doing since moving from hawaii 6 months ago ) started it up and still had the clacking sound. put in a bottle of MMO and bam, the car is quiet as a mouse. Went on a 1k mile drive to NC and back and will be changing the oil tomorrow to get rid of whatever was flushed out.

reading around said for engines with suspected sludge pour in MMO or AutoRX and change oil at normal interval. after that do what they call a rinse by driving a few hundred miles more and change filter.

32. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-18-2013 11:33 AM #32
      An unusual thread bump, but I recently used it to free a stuck engine. It had only been sitting for 18 years!

It took about 3 weeks of sitting, but I finally applied about 15 ft. lb. of torque to the crank nut and it just turned like it had just been shut off. No undue force to the rings at all. Once I got it to move I got the old acidic oil out, refilled it, changed the filter and then spun it a lot. It won't have much compression until it fires (Winter has slowed my outside work to a crawl) and that won't be until I sort out the fuel system. If I remember this thread, I'll let you know how it goes.

33. 02-18-2013 11:40 AM #33
      i have a loud lifter in my 4.0L but am hesitant to MMO in it because i don't want to open up something and create a leak.

Vehicles
      02-18-2013 11:46 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      There is something about natural foods...
      We discover a food substance that is now bad for us and tested an alternative in through lab-even though our grandparents ingested it daily and lived to 95.
      Why we think lab made food is healthier?
      I think its just easier and it tastes better. We are much lazier than our grand parents

Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      i have a loud lifter in my 4.0L but am hesitant to MMO in it because i don't want to open up something and create a leak.
      I've had friends that said a little transmission oil in the case will fix that. I'd look into it first but it's supposed to work

35. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-18-2013 11:48 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      I think its just easier and it tastes better.
      Know how I know you've never had fried chicken cooked in lard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast