Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf or Honda Fit Sport?

1. 05-02-2010 09:46 PM #1
      Hey everyone im new here. Ive been trying to find an automotive forum where I could seek advice; the past 6 months Ive been researching for a new car and finally I narrowed it down to 2 that I really like: 2010 Volkswagen Golf, and 2010 Honda Fit Sport.

Based on reliability, performance, not costly to insure or maintain...which car would you all pick? Im a 24 year old male so I still want an attractive car, but at the same time im not rich so I dont want it to be costly.

Thanks in advance for any info

Vehicles
      09 Wrx Hatchback
      05-02-2010 09:47 PM #2
      Golf. I think it's like 24 month free mantinence or something

05-02-2010 09:48 PM #3
      Fit, ten times over.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
      05-02-2010 09:49 PM #4
      Just so you know, here you will get a lot of suggestions of waiting for the 2011 ford fiesta.

I say you wait and test the 2011 ford fiesta.

I suggested waiting for the 2011 ford fiesta because I think it compares well to the honda fit sport, and will offer a better value compared to the vw golf.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmitchell in regards to the Mirage View Post
      It's like the 80s are back and they're in that engine bay.

05-02-2010 09:50 PM #5
      ^ He narrowed it to two, not a starting point.

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      05-02-2010 09:50 PM #6
      Fit is better on paper.
      Fit is better for city use.

Golf is a better drive.
      Golf is a better car for long drives and highway use.

11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

7. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      05-02-2010 09:51 PM #7
      I'd get the Golf. I love the sound of the 5 pot and can't complain over 170hp either. Also eerily quiet on the highway for cruising. And lastly in my opinion, looks much nicer than the Fit.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
      05-02-2010 09:53 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by iDance »
      ^ He narrowed it to two, not a starting point.

I was just letting him know in advance to expect a post like the one I posted, then posted said post, and then explained why I posted it, because a supporting argument is just about always requested when someone suggest a car to someone else that isn't the car they would have picked.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmitchell in regards to the Mirage View Post
      It's like the 80s are back and they're in that engine bay.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Sportwagen TDI
      05-02-2010 09:59 PM #9

vs

thoughts from a current golf owner.

+ Interior is a wonderful place to be
      + Steering is great for an economy car(I'm riding on 17"s though)
      +/- Gas Mileage is around 26 average, however 5 cyl torque is nice
      + Reliability has been spot on, and the 2.5l are doing very well!

Quote Originally Posted by efrie View Post

I told him the car wasn't going to win any races, to which he responded was "chill".

10. 05-02-2010 10:06 PM #10
      ive heard tons of people say that volkswagen has poor reliability...

if i was choosing a car based on costs and reliability alone, id choose Honda Fit. If I was choosing based on performance alone, id choose Volkswagen Golf.

The VW drove very well, so did the Fit...but the Fit suffers a bit past 60 mph. theres more room and storage space in the Fit, and it seems to have a fancier look, but the VW the performance.

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      05-02-2010 10:09 PM #11
      VW has come a long way for reliability, but they aren't the most reliable cars on the road... yet. I still suffer from CELs every once in awhile... but I'm used to it now. At least it's not as bad as my MK4

12. 05-02-2010 10:15 PM #12
      Screw VW. My new 2006 mk5 Jetta has crapped out on me AGAIN on Friday, getting it towed to service AGAIN.

This is about the 10th time I've had to go in.

No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-02-2010 10:18 PM #13
      FIT would probably a bit better in fuel economy and roomier. However, Golf would be a lot more comfortable.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-02-2010 10:24 PM #14
      If you want a 2.5 manual Golf, you need to get a 2 door FWIW.
      That's one reason why the 4 door Golf is close to $20k.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-02-2010 10:26 PM #15
      a left over fit can be had for about 13,500. a left over golf.... maybe 16? a CPO mkv golf, can be had for cheap also

Vehicles
      545i Sport
      05-02-2010 10:32 PM #16
      ford fiesta

wait for it

Member since 2006.
      Quote Originally Posted by ohsnappe2 View Post
      U ARE RIGHT! this is a Troll post! if i had 75K i wouldnt be caught DEAD ASKING TCL LOOOOOSERS about how to spend it

SMELL YOU LATER!

Vehicles
      Civic
      05-02-2010 10:33 PM #17
      I actually had the same choice to make last year. I choose the Golf (well Rabbit) simply because I liked the way it drove on the highway. The Fit is an excellent city car and overall I really liked it, it just wasn't as comfortable in the road trip department. If I lived in a more urban area the outcome could have been very different. I will say that I actually prefer the previous generation Fit better ascetically though.

18. 05-02-2010 10:46 PM #18
      wow thats interesting because i live about 15 minutes from Washington DC. i live in fairfax county which is a very rich, populated, urban-ish area.

though, i do like road trips once in awhile...or an hour drive to baltimore. a friend of mine has a Fit and she drove it from Virginia to Florida and said it drove fine. but when i test drove the Fit this morning, i could tell after 60 mph it starts to lag, and it doesnt take fast corners well (i guess i shouldnt be driving fast on corners anyway lol). i also assume the Fit would suffer in rain and snow

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-02-2010 10:50 PM #19
      The only thing I can tell about Fit, especially first generation, is that they don't take crosswinds very well.

They are also not very economical, if you drive faster than 100km/h. In fact ours used to return almost the same fuel economy than a much heavier 9-5 Aero, when driven on freeways.

What you on about ?

Vehicles
      Garage Queen and a POS
      05-02-2010 10:51 PM #20
      What in the hell kind of question is that? Get the golf, slam it, load it with stickers and be happy

21. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      05-02-2010 10:56 PM #21
      you forgot about the rusted hood and roof rack

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI & 2014 JSW
      05-02-2010 10:59 PM #22
      Have you sat in/driven either? I was not cross shopping for a Fit, but I have been in a co-workers, and the fit & finish, ride, and refinement do not seem on par with the Golf. I do think the Fit might be a little cheaper though. The Golf TDI that I was seriously considering ordering stickered at $29k which is the same price as my GTI.

My Golf (in GTI form)

2010 GTI & 2002 Passat Wagon

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      05-02-2010 11:08 PM #23
      How is there more room in the fit, I've driven a few for customers... junk tiny little cars with no hp or power of any kind. The golf could be fully loaded and pull you down the highway nicely no problem and be quiet. The fit would have a heart attack and die. end of story.
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta 5 Speed | Apr Stage 2 | Stage 1 Clutch + 14lb flywheel | Neuspeed Short Shifter | 3" turboback exhaust | Forge 007 | Forge TIP | Eurojet Discharge piping | Sidemount | Eurojet pcv hoses | Blackforest Stage 1 Mounts | Raceland Coilovers | Newsouth Boost Gauge | Neuspeed P-Flo | 4 Pot Brembos

24. 05-02-2010 11:10 PM #24
      Get the VW if you enjoy talking to people at the service department. Biggest mistake of my life.
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-02-2010 11:13 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Subwoofers »
      Get the VW if you enjoy talking to people at the service department. Biggest mistake of my life.

Stop whinging. I understand your frustration, but there are hundreds of thousands of Golfs are still running around the world.

What you on about ?

26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-02-2010 11:15 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »

Stop whinging. I understand your frustration, but there are hundreds of thousands of Golfs are still running around the world.

The US Golfs have a poor history (MK4).
      There are obviously quality differences based on market.

But yeah- the more recent US Golfs do have a much better reliability record.

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-02-2010 11:16 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »

The US Golfs have a poor history (MK4).
      There are obviously quality differences based on market.

There are tens of thousands of MkIV cars still running around US as well.

What you on about ?

28. 05-02-2010 11:19 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Subwoofers »

I've had to replace a bad valve, and the alarm in four years (so far) of ownership on my MKV.

The 2.5L MKV/VI is just as reliable as any Corolla or Civic, so when comparing reliability versus the Fit or anything else it is a moot point.

Modified by rdubtheislander at 7:21 PM 5-2-2010

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

29. 05-02-2010 11:20 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by Junius Spencer »
      Have you sat in/driven either? I was not cross shopping for a Fit, but I have been in a co-workers, and the fit & finish, ride, and refinement do not seem on par with the Golf. I do think the Fit might be a little cheaper though. The Golf TDI that I was seriously considering ordering stickered at $29k which is the same price as my GTI.

My Golf (in GTI form)

Looks great.

Vehicles
      Civic
      05-02-2010 11:24 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by CBJoker »
      wow thats interesting because i live about 15 minutes from Washington DC. i live in fairfax county which is a very rich, populated, urban-ish area.

though, i do like road trips once in awhile...or an hour drive to baltimore. a friend of mine has a Fit and she drove it from Virginia to Florida and said it drove fine. but when i test drove the Fit this morning, i could tell after 60 mph it starts to lag, and it doesnt take fast corners well (i guess i shouldnt be driving fast on corners anyway lol). i also assume the Fit would suffer in rain and snow

The Fit wasn't bad by any means. I'm sure it'd do fine on a road trip but the Golf was just more comfortable to me.

I realize the Mk4 put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth but the Mk5 has proven to be a reliable car. I like VWs and have owned 5 but even I avoided the Mk4. I am very impressed with the recent cars though.

31. 05-02-2010 11:27 PM #31
      Quote »

Buying a car with that much resale is your biggest mistake? Seriously man, you mustn't leave your house that much. Have a look at the actual product quality ratings and you'll see there's not a heck of a lot of difference in almost any manufacturer.

32. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-02-2010 11:31 PM #32

There are tens of thousands of MkIV cars still running around US as well.

Awesome.

But some of us actually remember the Consumer Reports data from the mid 2000s. All Mk4 models were on Consumer Reports "used cars to avoid" list, which shows they have much worse than average reliability (on average).

I am posting this not to bash VWs, but to stop this stupid discussion on MK4 Golf/Jetta reliability in the US. If it makes this list, then they really do have poor reliability- even if a few people have examples that were reliable.

Quote, originally posted by Consumer Reports »

Be especially careful when considering these models.
      They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability.

Audi A6 • BMW 7 Series • Chevrolet Astro • Chevrolet Blazer • Chevrolet Express 1500, Chevrolet S-10 (4WD) • Chevrolet TrailBlazer • Chrysler Town & Country (AWD) • Dodge Dakota (4WD) • Dodge Grand Caravan (AWD) • Ford Windstar • GMC Envoy • GMC Jimmy • GMC Safari • GMC Savana 1500 • GMC Sonoma (4WD) • Jaguar S-Type • Jaguar X-Type • Jeep Grand Cherokee • Land Rover Discovery • Lincoln Navigator • Mercedes-Benz C-Class (V6) • Mercedes-Benz CLK • Mercedes-Benz M-Class • Mercedes-Benz S-Class • Oldsmobile Bravada • Oldsmobile Cutlass • Plymouth Neon • Pontiac Aztek • Saturn Vue • Volkswagen Golf • Volkswagen Jetta • Volkswagen New Beetle • Volvo S80

CR's "Used Cars: Best & Worst" report includes a larger list of Reliable Used Cars, ranging in price group from less than $4,000 to $28,000 and up, that have showed better-than-average reliability in CR's latest survey. It also includes a larger list of Used Cars to Avoid, which have shown below-average reliability. All lists in this report are complied from overall reliability data covering 1997-2004 models in CR's 2004 survey. Problems with the engine, engine cooling, transmission, and drive system were weighted more heavily than other problems.

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      05-02-2010 11:31 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by CBJoker »
      theres more room and storage space in the Fit, and it seems to have a fancier look...

really, "fancier," meaning busier styling maybe? cuz the Golf may be more conservatively styled, but to me and the test of time, that's "fancier;" the VW is a lower-grade Audi-esque interior, and the Honda is, well, a Honda (but i'm a dashstroking fanboy, so take that for what it's worth). there are LOTS of happy Fit owners out there, tho...

cost & reliability being equal (and i'm not arguing that they are), it's a question of personal preference; Golfs just seem more substantial to me than Fits. but imo the Fit is a "younger" (person's) car than the Golf. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ClownCar View Post
      I did my driving test when I was 16 in my Dad's beautiful brand new maroon 1982 Celebrity. It is the second greatest car of all time after the Bugatti Veyron.

34. 05-02-2010 11:35 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by forumname »

Buying a car with that much resale is your biggest mistake? Seriously man, you mustn't leave your house that much. Have a look at the actual product quality ratings and you'll see there's not a heck of a lot of difference in almost any manufacturer.

Well that's just not true.

I have a 06 Jetta
      10 Civic
      06 Camry
      69 Datsun
      97 Astro Van

NONE of them has been into the shop other than oil changes. Talk about the numbers all you want, but my real world experience a long with my friend's experiences with VW can say for a fact that they blow compared to other manufactures.

Edit for more info:

1) 97 Passat = everything is broken and keeps breaking
      2) Again, everything is broken 98 VR6
      3) 06 A3, throws Cel's like a christmas tree
      4) My Jetta has now stranded me 3, THREE TIMES. No crank, nothing. That's not even counting the random Cels, 3 check airbag lights which required 3 freaking months to fix over the course of 1 year. High resale value? If I bought this car used, I have have had to pour over 4k in repairs into it + reg maintance.

Modified by Subwoofers at 7:40 PM 5-2-2010

35. 05-02-2010 11:35 PM #35

What you see is pretty irrelevant.

Unless you are stopping every owner of those cars and getting their service receipts to see how much it costs to KEEP them running, it is meaningless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast