Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission and clutch swap DIY

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      05-04-2010 12:16 AM #1
      Swapping a transmission is essentially simple, but there are lots of steps involved in the process. Make sure you can afford the time to have the car off the road.

The order in which you should proceed with each step doesn't necessarily have to be the same as explained in this thread, so experiment and see what works best for you. Others who have done it are welcome to chime in with tips and different ways to do things. I don't have pics of every single step as I didn't have all the time in the world and was doing it all on my own for the most part.

Before getting to work, it is a good idea to spray some PB blaster, WD40, fluid film or any other penetrating oil on every nut and bolt you will be working on. Leave them soaking for a few hours or even overnight.

First thing to do with the car on the ground is to loosen the 30mm nut that holds the outer ends of the drive axles. Use a large rachet or breaker bar for this. I also loosen the lug nuts - taking the wheels off is not absolutely necessary but it helps make room. Jack the car up and secure it with jack stands. Keep the jack stands on the subframe, far apart from each other enough to fit yourself through, a creeper if you are using one, and for a transmission to eventually go through.

With the car jacked, finish removing the wheels and the nut and 30mm washer from the drive axles. then start loosening the 12-point type bolts that hold the axles on the flanges on the transmission. You will need a 8mm triple square or 12-point bit for this. If you don't have one, buy the pack that comes with four different sizes of them - you will use the 10mm bit in the future for head bolts anyway. Use a 13mm wrench to drive the bit.

Make sure that before attempting to turn each bolt, you clean it inside really well. PB blaster and a really fine pick will do it. When inserting the 12-point bit, gently hammer it until it is firm. These bolts will not strip if you do this.

To loosen the first one, get a helper to step on the brakes for you if you cannot loosen the bolt while just by holding the axle by hand for it not to turn. After the first bolt is out, you can insert a screwdriver through the hole to stop the axle from turning.

Remove each half-axle from the car. The downpipe will have to come off at some point so you might as well do it before removing the passenger-side half axle. This is what I did on mine but my downpipe is very different from the stock one.

If you have difficulties removing the half-axles, try prying the transmission to the side using a crowbar or large wrench.

Next remove these three 13mm bolts that hold the starter on:

Now pull the starter, and keep it far from where you will be working on. You may be able to leave it on top of the engine mount, or you can remove it completely if you find it will help. Do not to let the wires touch the engine block or any other metal, or better yet disconnect your battery before removing the starter.

Now pull the reverse sensor wires off. They are shown in the pic above. On 5 spds they are on the passenger side of the tranny, and on 4-speeds they are at the rear of it.
      Next is to loosen the clutch cable (it is held by two 17mm nuts, which sandwiches the washers onto a bracket that's part of the driver-side engine mount) then unhook the cable from the clutch release arm.

Start taking off the 19mm bolts that attach the transmission to the engine. They are 5 in total, all 19mm. Going clockwise, starting from the bolt you see immediately below the clutch release arm in the pic above (say that's bolt number 1) that one is there by itself, bolts number 2 and 3 hold the coolant heater bypass structure between the tranny and the engine block, number 4 holds the end of the ground strap, and number 5 is a long one with a 19mm nut on the other end.

Also remove the tin plate on the bottom. It is held on by two or three (don't remember mine only had one) 10mm bolts attached to 10mm nuts on the other end.

You don't have to remove the drive axle flanges or the differential cover like I did. They are all held by 13mm bolts. If you leave them on, you can loosen the speedometer cable with vise grips, or some VW special tool.

Now undo the shifter linkage cage. It's just one 13mm bolt, with a 13mm nut on the other end and a spacer in between. Here is a comparison pic between a 5 speed linkage (left) and 4 speed linkage:

As you can see, they are the exact same metal structures. Top bushings are the same (the 4-speed ones shown are missing the dust caps), middle bushings are different, and the ball on the bottom is a different size as well.

Back to the transmission, now you may also undo the 19mm bolt holding the big transmission mount onto the body. You can undo the brackets as well if you wish, they make it easier for the tranny to slide out (13mm bolts for the front one, 6mm allens for the rear one), and if you are going to be removing the long torque bracket on the side (recommended instead of bending it out of the way) you must undo the 17mm stretch bolt holding the rear drivers-side end of the subframe to the body. This bolt is supposed to be one time-use only, but many have re-used them.

Now support the rear end of the transmission with a jack, because the next step will be removing the front stubby motor mount and we don't want the whole drive train to jerk backwards with any violence.

Undo the two 17mm or 19mm i forget bolts holding the front motor mount on:

Also undo the 17mm nut on the side motor mounts, so the engine can move. Lower the end of the tranny, and the whole thing will begin to come down. You may want to jack the front of the motor up - not really necessary at this point, but it will be later for the new tranny to go in.

Have a jack handy to support the middle of the transmission a bit lower when it comes out - two jacks work well, one in the front and one in the back. Pull the transmission off the engine block and rest it on the jacks. Have the jacks up enough so that the transmission is still inside the tunnel and cannot fall to the side.

Now lower it smoothly and bring it to the ground. Slide it out the front.

So this is what we are left with:

If replacing the clutch, remove the six 13mm bolts holding the pressure plate on. Out it comes and exposes the flywheel:

Now, you are supposed to remove the flywheel and get it resurfaced before installing a new clutch. In order to keep it from turning, you could stick a screwdriver through one of the holes so the engine block stops it from turning (thanks j-boogie and themagellan for the tip and picture)

I chose to keep mine in place as the ceramic clutch I installed wouldn't have a problem grabbing onto the flywheel, but to be on the safe side you should remove the flywheel and get it resurfaced if you want to do things properly, especially with if using a stock clutch. The flywheel is held on by 6 15mm bolts. These bolts are one-time use only and must be torqued to 30 Nm following a star pattern, plus 1/4 turn again following the same star pattern. Removing the flywheel will also give you access to replacing the rear main oil seal.

Now onto installing the new clutch. It is not absolutely necessary, but it is highly recommended to use a clutch alignment tool as shown - you can loan one from your local parts store for free just putting down a deposit. It will allow you to perfectly align the clutch disc in no time. A misalignment of even a milimeter will make it impossible or very hard for the transmission to go in. It is hard enough to get it in even with a perfect clutch alignment, you don't wanna make it any harder than that.

Make sure it sort of looks like this up close:

Now a little bit of cleaning, and we are ready for the new transmission:

Note the two guide pins on the engine block on the picture above, one on either side.

Prior to mounting the transmission, ensure that these pins are not missing from the block, and that there is none attached to the transmission.
      Last edited by alaincopter; 06-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Fox 1994 Chevy S-10
      05-04-2010 12:39 AM #2
      AWESOME write up!! I see this going into the FAQ's
      Tranny removal is routine to me now. I'm on Fox #5. Every one so far has had the trans out by me at least once, and I'm pulling my tranny on #5 tomorrow. Your procedure is pretty much identical to mine. This info will help many.

Modified by Edcon91 II at 12:43 AM 5-4-2010

3. Banned
      05-04-2010 04:36 AM #3
      Great write up. Quick question, since I'm waiting on my bentley to arrive, what is the torque spec the 6 13mm that attach the PP to the flywheel?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2010 10:07 AM #4
      Thanks folks! Torque specs for the pressure plate bolts: 25 Nm, tighten each bolt 1/2 turn at a time in a star pattern.

The pressure plate I am using has 1200 lbs of pressure, which equals to a very stiff clutch pedal. In order to make the clutch pedal a little softer and increase the range of control, I lenghtened the clutch release arm to 20.5 cm compared to the stock 18.5 cm:

20.5cm is the most you can go without any problems clearing the subframe and maintaining good release travel. This is the same length as used for the same arm on brazilian Quantums, and on 91-93 Fox 4-speed transmissions, so you could source one of those instead of modifying yours.

I had previously installed a brazilian limited-slip differential on my car, so I swapped that differential over to the new transmission. Here is a comparison pic of the LSD compared to a stock open differential:

Newer tranny assembled and ready to go:

Don't forget to replace the throw out bearing, and grease up the rotating points for the clutch release fork/shaft. Bring the transmission under the car, and jack the rear of it:

Now jack the front:

If you haven't yet, jack up the front engine mount to tilt the back of it down. This is necessary for the transmission to clear the steering arms going in.

Move the front jack to around the middle of the transmission so it gives you room to manualy insert the spline into the pilot bearing.

Line it up as best as you can by moving the rear of the transmission and then the front and then the rear again, and ensuring the whole thing is lined up with the engine, both vertically and horizontally.

Instead of the front jack, you can use a strap attached to a 2x4 piece of wood resting against the strut towers, to keep the front of the transmission at a height close to what you will work with. Having a helper for this step might also be a good idea. Getting the transmission in and keeping it in can take a while and really piss you off, but it is a great joy when accomplished.

Have a couple of the bolts handy when putting it in, so that you can screw it in by hand to keep the transmission in place once you put it in. Attach all other bolts, keeping in mind the bolts that hold the heater core valve and the ground strap.

Now attach the brackets and the big tranny mount (jack the rear of the transmission up for this).

Then you can re-attach the front and side engine mounts, connect the wires for the reverse sensor, reinstall the starter (make sure to grease up the bushing on the transmission where the starter shaft goes into), hook up and adjust the clutch cable, attach the speedometer cable, attach the half axles and the downpipe, and attach the shifter linkage. In order to align it, you can shift the transmission into third gear, then have a helper hold the shifter in the spot for third gear inside the car as you tighten it underneath. Take a shower and enjoy!

Last edited by alaincopter; 06-24-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2014 Cruze
      05-04-2010 12:06 PM #5
      Nice write-up and pix!
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

Vehicles
      90 Fox, 88 GLI, 91 Jetta (RIP), 98 A4 (RIP)
      05-04-2010 02:34 PM #6
      Nice write up!
      I've done this a few times now, and I get to do it again seeing as I finished off my clutch disc yesterday
      At least I have a visual guide for reference
      Keep it up...and nice car too [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      If you were a Volkswagen....who would your owner be?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2010 10:26 AM #7
      Thanks all!

Last edited by alaincopter; 06-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2010 11:14 AM #8
      Thought I'd post a little trick that originated down South. This is for the folks with PSA 5 speeds where the reverse is where a 6th gear would be. This trick makes it easier to shift into reverse, making it so that you don't have to push the shifter down to engage reverse. Keep in mind that the transmission already has an internal lock feature which will prevent from it going into reverse directly from 5th or when the car is moving forward.

I don't have pictures of this since I did it last year when I did my first transmission swap, but maybe I'll take some pictures in the future when I re-do my interior. Or someone else could post theirs.

Remove the center console, and you will see two 10mm bolts around the side of the shifter housing. Undo these two bolts, and remove the slide piece that these bolts attach to, from the inside of the metal housing. Now you no longer have to push the shifter down to shift into reverse. Now try to shift from 5th directly to reverse to confirm that the internal lock does its job.
      Last edited by alaincopter; 05-07-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Vehicles
      1988 Fox GL Wagon; 1997 Golf GTI
      05-08-2010 01:11 PM #9
      I am so totally jealous of your limited slip differential...

I really want to plan a vacation to Brazil, they'll have to fly me home in two planes because of all the parts I'll want to take home.

10. 05-10-2010 10:15 PM #10
      This deffinetly will come in handy this weekend cuz my clutch gave me his last breath 2 weeks ago where did u get ur pressure plate from and ur lsd im looking for 1 and dont matter the price i have a fox allmost the same as urs it even has sunroof it has some engine mods ill post some pictures later

Vehicles
      05-11-2010 12:19 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by alaincopter View Post

Now, you are supposed to remove the flywheel and get it resurfaced before installing a new clutch. I didn't do this for three reasons. First is that I didn't have a way to lock the engine from turning so I could loosen the bolts (you need VW special tool #10-201 for this)...
      I just finished up my swap and I love the 5spd compared to the 4spd

I was able to get the flywheel off by using a breaker bar on the bolts and putting a transmission bolt in the block to jam a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth to hold it still...I should have taken a pic but it's fairly easy. The bolt acts as a stop for the screwdriver

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-13-2010 02:43 PM #12
      doppelfaust, thanks for the comment on the diff, hopefully your trip planning works out great and you can bring lots of good parts for your project, let me know if you ever need any tips and advice on where to go and what to ask for in Portuguese. I tried for the longest time to have someone ship a lsd from Brazil for iluvfastcars' Fox and it was always unsuccessful, it's the shipping and the unwillingness to ship that's the problem, so a trip there is definitely the way to go. You can buy a lsd for around $150 there!

Dj_Rasta, I got the clutch, pressure plate and diff from Brazil, it's all very cheap there (arouns $180 - $200 for the ceramic clutch + PP kit) and unfortunately the only problem is the shipping here. Would love to see some pics of your car sometime, believe it or not Foxes with sunroofs are very rare in Brazil!

j-boogie, glad it worked out, yes the 5spd is such a great tranny! Gears 1-4 are just right, and the overdrive 5th gives a nice low rpm for cruising on the highway. I was calculating speed/gear ratios the other day and if one ever had the setup to get to 6500 rpm in 5th with 185/65/14 tires, the Fox would theoretically do around 265 km/h! Thanks for the info on the flywheel, I am sure it will help out lots of folks who want to do this and don't have access to the VW special tool.

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      08-21-2010 11:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by j-boogie253 View Post
      I just finished up my swap and I love the 5spd compared to the 4spd

I was able to get the flywheel off by using a breaker bar on the bolts and putting a transmission bolt in the block to jam a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth to hold it still...I should have taken a pic but it's fairly easy. The bolt acts as a stop for the screwdriver
      Copter* add this to your original post may help a few people who do the flywheel

The engine block stops it from moving!
      Last edited by themagellan; 08-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Vehicles
      1989 vw fox gl turbo, Holset hx35w on meth:)new project 1968 bug and o 86 gti
      08-22-2010 06:03 PM #14
      I want a limited slip differential so bad I wouldnt get wheel spin up to 100mph
      Last edited by vwturbofox; 08-22-2010 at 06:08 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      04-03-2011 02:21 AM #15
      Hey, thanks for the guide. I've been following this and lunaticfringe's 9q swap guide. I managed to leave the axles hanging, and seemingly not have to bang the tunnel for 9q fitment (although perhaps I'm wrong on that..) Either way, I'm a bit stuck currently.

I had a bear of a time trying to get the 9q installed today. Took about an hour of fidgeting various jacks, bricks, and jack stands to get it up. I was able to tilt the engine back with a jack via the ac compressor, and got the tranny to clear the steering rack.

I gave the 9q a new throwout bearing and guide tube. I didn't touch anything as far as the engine side of things go. It still has the original clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing (actually, I completely forgot about the existence of the pilot bearing since I've never seen one doing clutch jobs on other cars so far).

After hours of fidgeting under the car, I gave up for the day. I just can't seem to get the tranny to mate up into the engine fully. It seems like the input shaft is mated with the clutch, since I can no longer spin the driveshaft flanges together anymore. I haven't tried a wrench on the crank pulley to see if the flanges turn though. I'm imagining the pilot bearing can't be easily knocked off, but maybe I need to pull the tranny down and check everything out again. I accidentally pulled the release lever a bit, but I don't think enough to dislodge the TO bearing.

I was even able to bolt up the tranny mount. But I just can't squeeze that ~1-1.5" gap shut no matter how much I wiggle the tranny/engine around. I've since unbolted it, since I imagine it's preventing proper geometry.

One thing I've noticed is that the subframe bushings are hanging. I imagine the subframe normally "hangs" and it's simply because I have the car jacked up via the subframe. It would explain why the front mount rests about an inch above where it should.

There doesn't appear to be anything getting caught, and I'd imagine turning the flanges together would have aligned the splines up if they were off.

I guess there's really not much to be said in terms of what to do. I'm just ranting after an unproductive day. Will wiggle it some more tomorrow, and if that doesn't go well, I guess I'll have to drop the tranny again and give everything a once over again. I'm going to go read the bible and hope for an a-ha moment.

Bentley made no mention of the pilot bearing seemingly. I did some searching and found that tranverse cars don't generally use pilot bearings, which makes sense why I never encountered one before. But either way, the bearing would be between the flywheel and clutch, so there's no way that'd get dislodged.

I just realized I put the one piece washer between the guide sleeve and the tranny, so I guess it's coming down tomorrow to get that sorted out.
      Last edited by ziddey; 04-03-2011 at 04:53 AM.
      I really suck at smog.

Vehicles
      04-03-2011 01:16 PM #16
      It was a real bitch getting it back up zidd, took me more than a few tries.

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did to get it in there, and the only thing that comes to mind was that I literally undid all of the motor mounts (front and sides) to put the engine at a really severe angle, that tunnel is impossibly tight

I also had a friend hold it up while I guided it in, it wasn't pleasant and it took a few beers and a lot of anger.

Vehicles
      1965 Bug - 1968 Bug - 1969 bus - 1963 bus - 1986 Cabriolet - 1987 vw fox
      04-03-2011 03:01 PM #17
      if you have it high enough, get under the tranny, straddle it with your feet on the bell housing, then bench/leg press it up, and push it forward with your feet. Thats how i've always had success doing it with mini truck and subaru transmissions. just dont try for longer than an hour at a time. that way you keep your sanity...

18. 04-27-2011 10:32 AM #18
      this may be a stupid question, but im not seeing an answer here anywhere.

Is this a swap from a 4 speed to 5 speed trans?
      or is it just a swap in general?

Id like to upgrade my trans...Ive heard from someone that there is no modification nessesary, and ie heard from others that its more trouble than its worth.

it seems to me like it is very simple. Ive got an 88 with a 4 blown 4 speed...searching junkyards now for 5 speeds. ill have to replace the clutch, no? and that center rod looking bushing for the linkage? all of the mounts, wiring is the same and they fit together seamlessly?

Vehicles
      04-27-2011 10:47 AM #19
      Not sure if he's swapping out a 4spd, but a 5spd swap is actually quite easy, but it's not just plug and play. You have to change some parts. The only difficult part is getting the one trans bolt out that's directly under the battery tray

This should help you understand what needs to be changed around for a 5spd swap
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...madness-part-2

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2011 12:32 PM #20
      Hi fellas, the swap shown is from a bad 5 spd to a good 5spd, but that car originally did have a 4 spd and I did do the swap previously.

The steps are the exact same; the bellhousing is the same shape on both 4 and 5 spds and you can reuse all the mounting bolts.

There is no need to change the clutch or pressure plate, though you may want to since you will be there anyway, it's up to you. If you want to resurface the flywheel too while you are at it check out what themagellan did to keep it from spinning - good tip. Oh, the clutch release arm and and speedo cable mount are virtually the same too (that means, no modification needed for the swap).

Basically for the sake of the swap all that is "different" is the linkage - you will need to use the 4spd linkage with a 4spd trans and a 5spd linkage with a 5spd trans.

Also IIRC the electrical plug for the reverse light switch is on the opposite side on the 5spd, but you don't need to lenghten the wire at all.

21. 06-22-2014 11:41 AM #21
      I know it's been a while but a lot of the pictures are dead links now. Do you have still have them saved?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2014 08:19 PM #22
      Sure, no prob - my old pictures had all gone down when imageshack started charging people to host their stuff... moved to photobucket now.

Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wolfsburg, 1990 Fox Coupe GTI
      06-24-2014 09:19 PM #23
      Woo, thanks Alain! I think I'm going to need this in August.

Vehicles
      06-25-2014 05:55 PM #24
      Man, I miss you fox dudes! I was just reminicing how much fun it was tinkering with the little bucket, and how much this DIY Helped me in a cold dirty barn by myself.

pouring one out.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Fox GL
      06-25-2014 07:33 PM #25
      Ditto on this being extremely helpful. It helped me do the job in my folks' driveway in the rain and it will help very soon when I do it yet again. Also the flywheel trick was invaluable.

Also:

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast