Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Post in here regarding vBulletin Changes/Suggestions/Problems***

1. Member
      05-05-2010 06:43 PM #126
      VMG should have just paid up and kept Zero, sure it was old and outdated but with new ownership and everything it could have been re-vamped.

IMO moving was a bad idea and i know for a fact they will be loosing people. not that they care. just the truth.

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-05-2010 06:48 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by 01 View Post
      VMG should have just paid up and kept Zero, sure it was old and outdated but with new ownership and everything it could have been re-vamped.

IMO moving was a bad idea and i know for a fact they will be loosing people. not that they care. just the truth.
      read the previous statements - no choice.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      05-05-2010 06:49 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Anthony - thanks for considering tweaks for us grumpy ungrateful masses.

A minor request - can we change quoted text to not be in italics? It makes large posts hard to read.
      Ditto! Just a shaded box is fine for quoting. I liked the old small ZF quote style.
      Quote Originally Posted by cetanepusher View Post
      Advertisers will be dropping off as well, as the trafic just dropped by over 90%.
      There's a reason for that... the forums aren't linked from the main page anymore. You have to know about vb.vwvortex.com to get in.

They will be losing people and they do care. Where did this idea of the owners/operators being faceless ****s come from?? They provide an awesome free service and were struck with a roadblock, which they are handling every well. And all people can do is bitch. Really?

The new owner of the ZF software demanded a six figure payment to continue the site for six months. That is ludicrous. The owner said "pay up or close down ASAP". VMG planned to migrate to a different software within that 6 months anyway becuae ZF was becoming too restrictive. Well, the change happened a little faster then they expected.

4. Member
      05-05-2010 06:49 PM #129
      not to mention, this crap is being so damn slow.

Vehicles
      05-05-2010 06:51 PM #130
      not to mention, this crap is being so damn slow.
      I'm not sure on the details but they are in the process of not just revamping the software, but getting all new hardware to host it, which is still in the process of being installed/set-up. So it will be slow for a bit.

Vehicles
      04 R32T, 95/98 4runner
      05-05-2010 06:54 PM #131
      Posts last night implied the new hardware was to be here today.

And yes it is slowing down quite a bit, and I'm sure it's only handling a tiny fraction of its normal
      volume right now.

ian

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-05-2010 06:54 PM #132

Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      read the previous statements - no choice.
      Not to mention Dustin asking for 17x the normal asking price because of butthurt.

I wouldn't want to be ANYWHERE near that drama. I think VMG made the right decision to go with vB... it's more open source anyway. PHP and MySQL better than proprietary **** that doesn't even do realtime caching of search terms!

Vehicles
      65 Karmann Ghia, 90 Corrado, 14 Passat TDi
      05-05-2010 06:57 PM #133
      I am all for change. Bring it on. Now off to dig around preferences to see what I can tweak.

Thanks for the great site and hard work to get it back up VMG!

Vehicles
      04 R32T, 95/98 4runner
      05-05-2010 07:21 PM #134
      Finding some things that don't suck (as long as they last)
      1. Can embed YouTube and Vimeo vids properly
      2. Add a poll to an existing thread
      3. Have polls that allow multiple choices to be selected
      4. Not having "edited" notices pile up and have to be deleted manually
      5. HTML and CODE tags..

ian

Vehicles
      05-05-2010 07:26 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Daemon42 View Post
      Finding some things that don't suck (as long as they last)
      1. Can embed YouTube and Vimeo vids properly
      2. Add a poll to an existing thread
      3. Have polls that allow multiple choices to be selected
      4. Not having "edited" notices pile up and have to be deleted manually
      5. HTML and CODE tags..

ian
      Do you mean that those are things that vb has, or it should have? IIRC VB does "Last Edit at:", and they do allow HTML I think. Not sure on polls or videos.

11. Former Advertiser TurboPaul@MillenniumVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2005 GLI BMP 6MT 1999 Yukon SLT
      05-05-2010 07:29 PM #136
      Hey Anthony, how about the time out setting? I must have had to log in a dozen times today! So annoying!

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      05-05-2010 07:30 PM #137
      I posted this in another thread but it applies just as much here

Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      I think it's hilarious how some of you are getting so worked up about the layout. It's a fuc king internet website, it's not your entire life, just deal with whatever changes and move on. Never seen such a big group of whiny bitc hes crying about something so menial

13. Member
      Vehicles
      a hyped up economy car
      05-05-2010 07:34 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      I posted this in another thread but it applies just as much here
      truth. i wasn't happy at first but now that i know how to navigate it it's not so bad...and looking more like normal too. keep up the good work guys

Vehicles
      04 R32T, 95/98 4runner
      05-05-2010 07:35 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Do you mean that those are things that vb has, or it should have? IIRC VB does "Last Edit at:", and they do allow HTML I think. Not sure on polls or videos.
      I mean they're things that VB has that ZF didn't. Although you can't edit polls at all, which can be a hassle.

ian

15. 05-05-2010 07:43 PM #140
      I hate this new site. My eyes are killing me. At the same time I'm sure it will get better and we'll all get used to it. All the members that don't come back oh well maybe we lose all the scammers or at least some of them.

Its obvious the zero douche bag knew they were switching in six months so he demanded a huge amount of money than when he was denied sabotaged.
      I'm sure things will be fine in a few weeks.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 08:15 PM #141
      My main issue isn't with the software at all, I can learn it quick. My issue is the lost DATA. My IM history, and my threads and posts.

The search feature doesn't even work yet, and trying to find my 4 sale threads is gonna be a pain. I flip/make parts in order to fund my hobby, if I don't sell parts, I can't buy new ones. (the joy of being a homeowner)

I don't use this site to make money, I havea dayjob, I use it to fund my build. And it literally, just "cut" me off.

I'm really pissed that they didn't give us notice at all, I would have saved all my IM's and thread links on my HD.

It would be REALLY REALLY cool, if they could pull this data from the old server, and forward it in an e-mail or something....... I have faith that the VMG will make this software work like clockwork, they are some really smart people. Kinda like engineers. Problem is, engineers and techies, tend to overthink the "street" side of things, the "hustle" if you will.

Oh well, I'll quit bitch!ng and wait for my data to be forwarded.. .. . .. .

Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      05-05-2010 08:23 PM #142
      I have little issue with the VB software. I think that even at bare bones it emulates most of the stuff that you needed FireVortex to accomplish. My biggest issue right now is the 60sec. wait for PM as well as PMs themselves. If I send a message and then forget to add something that I want to throw in at teh end, I have to sit around and wait. I don't feel that there is a need to limit PMs. I also wish that the PMs functioned more like the Zero forum pms
      "Builds a sh*tty/ugly car, gets made fun of, calls everyone a hater" - Dubbers
      If you wish to get a hold of me, EMAIL IS THE BEST WAY Dutchsider2@yahoo.com

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      05-05-2010 08:25 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by cetanepusher View Post
      My main issue isn't with the software at all, I can learn it quick. My issue is the lost DATA. My IM history, and my threads and posts.

The search feature doesn't even work yet, and trying to find my 4 sale threads is gonna be a pain. I flip/make parts in order to fund my hobby, if I don't sell parts, I can't buy new ones. (the joy of being a homeowner)

I don't use this site to make money, I havea dayjob, I use it to fund my build. And it literally, just "cut" me off.

I'm really pissed that they didn't give us notice at all, I would have saved all my IM's and thread links on my HD.

It would be REALLY REALLY cool, if they could pull this data from the old server, and forward it in an e-mail or something....... I have faith that the VMG will make this software work like clockwork, they are some really smart people. Kinda like engineers. Problem is, engineers and techies, tend to overthink the "street" side of things, the "hustle" if you will.

Oh well, I'll quit bitch!ng and wait for my data to be forwarded.. .. . .. .
      It's been about 24 hours since it went down. Given the amount of data that there is on this forum, the fact that it's even operational now is impressive. Things don't magically just work, they take a lot of time and effort, so you just sound like a spoiled kid crying about not getting what he wants. Have some patience, the VMG staff and mods have all said they're working to make it as similar to the old layout as possible and are moving the huge amount of data over to new equipment and your watched topics are still there, they just haven't been moved to one place yet so you can find them if you look around through the subforums they're on.

Regarding the lack of notice, if you've read anything they've posted, you'd see that it took them all by surprise that it was so suddenly cut off too so you can't really blame them for that, especially since they all lost data too. It'll all get worked out, everyone just needs to relax and just let them do their work and get everything together

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      05-05-2010 08:51 PM #144
      Here's a suggestion that should be VERY easy to put back in:

Bring back the old favicon.ico - the little vortex shape that shows in the address bar. Right now it's showing a "V" for VBulletin. The Vortex one was very nicely designed, and was so much better looking than other favicons on most other sites!

I'm amazed that the forum works so well in so little time! You guys are doing an EPIC job! Thank you.

05-05-2010 08:53 PM #145
      I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but can we have an indication that there are pictures in the thread? Threads without pictures are worthless! LOL

21. 05-05-2010 09:02 PM #146
      Double banners at the top is a bit annoying. Also, can we get a search link where it used to be instead of having to go into a forum before being able to search?

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      05-05-2010 09:03 PM #147
      Got this while clicking that Facebook link in my profile settings.

Invalid API key specified

The application you are trying to access does not exist or has been disabled.

Vehicles
      01 Golf GLS 1.8T, 11 Jetta SE, 11JSW 2.5SE (Wifes)
      05-05-2010 09:30 PM #148
      Its super slow... And that's going to keep me off of here for a while. When will Firefox be integrated?

24. 05-05-2010 09:35 PM #149
      Ok so I had an im conversation going with someone about purchasing his wheels. I dont remember his exact name but it was something like VdeesnutsW.

So if I cant get to the ims I cant respond to him. I cant go to my watched topics where his for sale thread was saved. i cant search for the thread he had either.

so unless there is a member list with everyone on there so I could find him in the v's, this change has effectively prevented me from buying a set of wheels. I was going to go sunday and pick them up before he moves across country to colorado. Cheers and thank you vortex for ruining this!

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      05-05-2010 09:39 PM #150
      I've noticed that we are able to ignore users now. How ever when doing so it still shows posts they make and if you enter a thread that they posted in it shows a box that they posted something.

I know for a fact on VB you can completely block out ignored users. I realiaze there are bigger issues on the plate now but just something else that will make this place a little bit better.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast