Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 2261

    Thread: ***Post in here regarding vBulletin Changes/Suggestions/Problems***

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 08:15 PM #141
      My main issue isn't with the software at all, I can learn it quick. My issue is the lost DATA. My IM history, and my threads and posts.

      The search feature doesn't even work yet, and trying to find my 4 sale threads is gonna be a pain. I flip/make parts in order to fund my hobby, if I don't sell parts, I can't buy new ones. (the joy of being a homeowner)

      I don't use this site to make money, I havea dayjob, I use it to fund my build. And it literally, just "cut" me off.

      I'm really pissed that they didn't give us notice at all, I would have saved all my IM's and thread links on my HD.

      It would be REALLY REALLY cool, if they could pull this data from the old server, and forward it in an e-mail or something....... I have faith that the VMG will make this software work like clockwork, they are some really smart people. Kinda like engineers. Problem is, engineers and techies, tend to overthink the "street" side of things, the "hustle" if you will.

      Oh well, I'll quit bitch!ng and wait for my data to be forwarded.. .. . .. .

    2. Member Dutchsider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 27th, 2006
      Location
      Population Increase, PA
      Posts
      15,283
      Vehicles
      '01 S4, '92 Gti
      05-05-2010 08:23 PM #142
      I have little issue with the VB software. I think that even at bare bones it emulates most of the stuff that you needed FireVortex to accomplish. My biggest issue right now is the 60sec. wait for PM as well as PMs themselves. If I send a message and then forget to add something that I want to throw in at teh end, I have to sit around and wait. I don't feel that there is a need to limit PMs. I also wish that the PMs functioned more like the Zero forum pms
      "Builds a sh*tty/ugly car, gets made fun of, calls everyone a hater" - Dubbers
      EUROPEAN PARTS FOR SALE <--- Click Me
      If you wish to get a hold of me, EMAIL IS THE BEST WAY Dutchsider2@yahoo.com

    3. Moderator aar0n.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2004
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      11,554
      Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      05-05-2010 08:25 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by cetanepusher View Post
      My main issue isn't with the software at all, I can learn it quick. My issue is the lost DATA. My IM history, and my threads and posts.

      The search feature doesn't even work yet, and trying to find my 4 sale threads is gonna be a pain. I flip/make parts in order to fund my hobby, if I don't sell parts, I can't buy new ones. (the joy of being a homeowner)

      I don't use this site to make money, I havea dayjob, I use it to fund my build. And it literally, just "cut" me off.

      I'm really pissed that they didn't give us notice at all, I would have saved all my IM's and thread links on my HD.

      It would be REALLY REALLY cool, if they could pull this data from the old server, and forward it in an e-mail or something....... I have faith that the VMG will make this software work like clockwork, they are some really smart people. Kinda like engineers. Problem is, engineers and techies, tend to overthink the "street" side of things, the "hustle" if you will.

      Oh well, I'll quit bitch!ng and wait for my data to be forwarded.. .. . .. .
      It's been about 24 hours since it went down. Given the amount of data that there is on this forum, the fact that it's even operational now is impressive. Things don't magically just work, they take a lot of time and effort, so you just sound like a spoiled kid crying about not getting what he wants. Have some patience, the VMG staff and mods have all said they're working to make it as similar to the old layout as possible and are moving the huge amount of data over to new equipment and your watched topics are still there, they just haven't been moved to one place yet so you can find them if you look around through the subforums they're on.

      Regarding the lack of notice, if you've read anything they've posted, you'd see that it took them all by surprise that it was so suddenly cut off too so you can't really blame them for that, especially since they all lost data too. It'll all get worked out, everyone just needs to relax and just let them do their work and get everything together
      Flickr™
      DubCult.

    4. Member TheTimob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2003
      Location
      Glenside, PA
      Posts
      18,067
      Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      05-05-2010 08:51 PM #144
      Here's a suggestion that should be VERY easy to put back in:

      Bring back the old favicon.ico - the little vortex shape that shows in the address bar. Right now it's showing a "V" for VBulletin. The Vortex one was very nicely designed, and was so much better looking than other favicons on most other sites!

      I'm amazed that the forum works so well in so little time! You guys are doing an EPIC job! Thank you.

    5. Former Advertiser Minh@CiM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      1,032
      05-05-2010 08:53 PM #145
      I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but can we have an indication that there are pictures in the thread? Threads without pictures are worthless! LOL

    6. 05-05-2010 09:02 PM #146
      Double banners at the top is a bit annoying. Also, can we get a search link where it used to be instead of having to go into a forum before being able to search?

    7. Senior Member Mr. Knappy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 10th, 2006
      Location
      Levittown, PA
      Posts
      24,826
      Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      05-05-2010 09:03 PM #147
      Got this while clicking that Facebook link in my profile settings.

      Invalid API key specified


      The application you are trying to access does not exist or has been disabled.

    8. Senior Member CapeGLS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2002
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      34,956
      Vehicles
      01 Golf GLS 1.8T, 02 Jetta WGN 2.0, 11 JSW 2.5SE (Wifes)
      05-05-2010 09:30 PM #148
      Its super slow... And that's going to keep me off of here for a while. When will Firefox be integrated?

    9. 05-05-2010 09:35 PM #149
      Ok so I had an im conversation going with someone about purchasing his wheels. I dont remember his exact name but it was something like VdeesnutsW.

      So if I cant get to the ims I cant respond to him. I cant go to my watched topics where his for sale thread was saved. i cant search for the thread he had either.

      so unless there is a member list with everyone on there so I could find him in the v's, this change has effectively prevented me from buying a set of wheels. I was going to go sunday and pick them up before he moves across country to colorado. Cheers and thank you vortex for ruining this!

    10. Member wantacad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Belleville,Ill
      Posts
      14,630
      Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      05-05-2010 09:39 PM #150
      I've noticed that we are able to ignore users now. How ever when doing so it still shows posts they make and if you enter a thread that they posted in it shows a box that they posted something.

      I know for a fact on VB you can completely block out ignored users. I realiaze there are bigger issues on the plate now but just something else that will make this place a little bit better.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by dsleggett View Post
      I have a great idea, upgrade to the big 3: periods, commas and capital letters! I realize I'm old but I cannot read some of this s**t.

    11. 05-05-2010 10:23 PM #151
      I emailed Jamie today and he says he will install BerryBlab for the blackberry users here!

    12. Member tulmad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2001
      Location
      Queen Creek
      Posts
      6,907
      Vehicles
      nothing.
      05-05-2010 10:43 PM #152
      Any chance VB supports per-thread RSS feeds?

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:02 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by footose_reloaded View Post
      I emailed Jamie today and he says he will install BerryBlab for the blackberry users here!
      Woohoo, thats cool.

    14. 05-05-2010 11:09 PM #154
      this junior senior member stuff. not feelin it.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:11 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      It's been about 24 hours since it went down. Given the amount of data that there is on this forum, the fact that it's even operational now is impressive. Things don't magically just work, they take a lot of time and effort, so you just sound like a spoiled kid crying about not getting what he wants. Have some patience, the VMG staff and mods have all said they're working to make it as similar to the old layout as possible and are moving the huge amount of data over to new equipment and your watched topics are still there, they just haven't been moved to one place yet so you can find them if you look around through the subforums they're on.

      Regarding the lack of notice, if you've read anything they've posted, you'd see that it took them all by surprise that it was so suddenly cut off too so you can't really blame them for that, especially since they all lost data too. It'll all get worked out, everyone just needs to relax and just let them do their work and get everything together
      They have known it was going to switch for a couple months.
      I've been going through all the sub-forums.... I can't find squat. Then again I was active in over 150 threads.
      Search isn't up yet.
      My IM history contains SHIP TO address for people that bought stuff.
      They've already stated IM data and Watched topics will NOT be imported, this format can't interface with the data.

      Its a crappy deal, but I have a lot of data on the forum that I need to get access to. Sorry


      I have a bad feeling that this is either going to tank the VMG, or completely destroy the Vortex "community"

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:14 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by CBerger View Post
      Ok so I had an im conversation going with someone about purchasing his wheels. I dont remember his exact name but it was something like VdeesnutsW.

      So if I cant get to the ims I cant respond to him. I cant go to my watched topics where his for sale thread was saved. i cant search for the thread he had either.

      so unless there is a member list with everyone on there so I could find him in the v's, this change has effectively prevented me from buying a set of wheels. I was going to go sunday and pick them up before he moves across country to colorado. Cheers and thank you vortex for ruining this!
      My main concern as well.

    17. Member ThatGuyRyan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2006
      Posts
      4,708
      Vehicles
      Hyper Foreman Scar
      05-05-2010 11:14 PM #157
      So you assumed Vortex would always be here, then it wasn't. Lesson: don't make assumptions, backup your ****.
      flickr | drop>drive>destroy>dispose | Get your MkV low! | "You may be surprised to discover you're rich, especially if you're broke." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

      "I might get crucified for this but, I honestly believe that people who hate on other automotive sub-cultures are not real car fans." ~ Paddy McGrath

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:25 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
      So you assumed Vortex would always be here, then it wasn't. Lesson: don't make assumptions, backup your ****.
      Did you?

      There was no reason to believe that there was a problem or issue? I work a supply chain for a supercharger manufacturer, I don't follow software lawsuits or news.

      I'm just saying, they had a bit of time, they could have backed that data up, and they didn't.

      Per Brad:

      Thanks for the support, Mike.

      As said above, we had no choice here. Even moderators and staff lost data that they had in their notepads and watched topics.

      Such is life, but the priority right now is getting everything back in line, as to not interrupt service to our subscribers.

      -Brad

    19. Moderator rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,213
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-05-2010 11:27 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by tulmad View Post
      Any chance VB supports per-thread RSS feeds?
      it does but the RSS module needs to be enabled by an Admin - i'm waiting on this as well.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

      .: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:27 PM #160
      I think the real problem, is going to be all the Advertisers that just cancel there advertising payments, as the switch is a breach of contract. It gives every advertiser on here a way "out" and option to get all thier advertising dollars back.

    21. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      45,594
      Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      05-05-2010 11:47 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by cetanepusher View Post
      Did you?

      I'm just saying, they had a bit of time, they could have backed that data up, and they didn't.
      I didn't save anything important on Vortex. I keep a scrap notepad file on my desktop

      They have it saved. It's just not importable into VB. That wasn't going to be fixed by a slower transition.
      A2Resource
      .......

    22. Member Insan3Vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2009
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      4,296
      Vehicles
      98 GTI Vr6-T (Project) | 96 GTI Vr6 (SOLD) | 97 Passat Wagon Vr6 (Daily)
      05-05-2010 11:48 PM #162
      I have a bad feeling that this will be the end of Vortex for alot of people. If advertiser's leave, vortex loses money, if people don't like what the forums will become in time as the programmers are working on it, they lose traffic. Not a good combination.

      I don't get this. If the two creators of ZeroForum had a law suit issue and now they are not in control of the software anymore, what the gwurgb does that have to do with Vortex? I read that ZeroForum was in control by another party now because of the law-suit, so I dont' see anywhere why the forum is changing, just continue to pay for ZeroForum through the new company and BAM, Vortex is awesome again.

      I loved the old forums because it is not like any other forum I belong to (most of which were vBulletin based). I hope this turns out for the better, and we can eventually get ZeroForum back and until then make vBulletin work for awhile.

      A big thumbs up to the VMG programmers who are working on this.

    23. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      45,594
      Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      05-05-2010 11:48 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by cetanepusher View Post
      I think the real problem, is going to be all the Advertisers that just cancel there advertising payments, as the switch is a breach of contract. It gives every advertiser on here a way "out" and option to get all thier advertising dollars back.
      They will not be refunded past the last date ZF worked. You say this statement as if every advertiser is just itching to get out though. Why are you fighting tooth and nail? Don't you understand it's a crappy situation for everyone and complaining about it will not fix it?
      A2Resource
      .......

    24. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      45,594
      Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      05-05-2010 11:52 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Insan3Vr6 View Post
      I don't get this.

      Vortex was renting the ZF software from RelyNet, and hosting VWVortex on RelyNet servers. The other guy sued the owner of RelyNet for ZeroForum, and won. he offered to rent back the ZF software, and they were innegotiations but the other day he opffered the software for over 16 times what the normal fee was before that point (reportedly Vortex was paying $15,000 for 6 month's use, the new owner asked for $250,000). The owner of ZF said to Vortex, "it's my software... pay the quarter mil or stop using it immediately". So they took the only logical choice.

      Now does everyone understand how ****ty a situation it was?
      A2Resource
      .......

    25. Member ss18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2004
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      1,259
      Vehicles
      01 VW Jetta GLS!
      05-05-2010 11:53 PM #165
      not sure if it has been mentioned or taken care of, but peoples SIGNATURES? thing i hate about most forums are the obnoxious sigs with Pictures, videos, tags, etc. makes it hard to even read the content
      need webhosting or design, PM me!

    26. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      45,594
      Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      05-05-2010 11:55 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by ss18 View Post
      not sure if it has been mentioned or taken care of, but peoples SIGNATURES? thing i hate about most forums are the obnoxious sigs with Pictures, videos, tags, etc. makes it hard to even read the content
      Trust me, the admins are well aware of this. They hate big flashy sigs and avatars. They have already disabled images and sigs more then 5 lines.
      A2Resource
      .......

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-05-2010 11:57 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      They will not be refunded past the last date ZF worked. You say this statement as if every advertiser is just itching to get out though. Why are you fighting tooth and nail? Don't you understand it's a crappy situation for everyone and complaining about it will not fix it?
      Advertisment contracts here aren't based on a month to month. Legally, advertisers have a way out of payment starting when the last re-newed the advert agreement.

    28. 05-05-2010 11:59 PM #168
      give me the name of the new owner of zeroforum so i can rip him a new one

    29. Moderator rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,213
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-06-2010 12:04 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by ss18 View Post
      not sure if it has been mentioned or taken care of, but peoples SIGNATURES? thing i hate about most forums are the obnoxious sigs with Pictures, videos, tags, etc. makes it hard to even read the content
      I don't know why people keep assuming stuff like this will change - we hate that stuff just as much as you.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

      .: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-06-2010 12:04 AM #170
      On another note, if I go and re-post all the stuff i had listed in the classifieds, will I be "smacked" for breaking a rule, even when I have no means to find my old threads, considering there is no search function or watched topics?

      I see a crap ton of duplicate threads already.

      The admin is in for a real nightmare, after the software kinks are ironed out, in just cleaning up the clutter.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2008
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,803
      Vehicles
      96 Blown up ABA
      05-06-2010 12:05 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by DrFrisker View Post
      give me the name of the new owner of zeroforum so i can rip him a new one
      Word on the Hondaforum is his first name is dustin.

      Wonder if he knows he just painted a target on his head to over 100,000 people.

    32. Moderator rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,213
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-06-2010 12:07 AM #172
      @cetanepusher - we have heard your opinions - restating them over and over and going outside the scope of this thread won't speed anything up. Please have some patience.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

      .: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

    33. Member Insan3Vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2009
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      4,296
      Vehicles
      98 GTI Vr6-T (Project) | 96 GTI Vr6 (SOLD) | 97 Passat Wagon Vr6 (Daily)
      05-06-2010 12:08 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Vortex was renting the ZF software from RelyNet, and hosting VWVortex on RelyNet servers. The other guy sued the owner of RelyNet for ZeroForum, and won. he offered to rent back the ZF software, and they were innegotiations but the other day he opffered the software for over 16 times what the normal fee was before that point (reportedly Vortex was paying $15,000 for 6 month's use, the new owner asked for $250,000). The owner of ZF said to Vortex, "it's my software... pay the quarter mil or stop using it immediately". So they took the only logical choice.

      Now does everyone understand how ****ty a situation it was?
      Ah that did shed some light. What a little mother****er. So he decided to jack up his price by that much just so he could lose probably his biggest client who would have gladly continued to pay him the normal and maybe even a little more just so they wouldn't have to deal with this crap? VMG definitely made the right move here, it just ***** that the ZF owner is a stupid idiot.

    34. Moderator rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,213
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-06-2010 12:12 AM #174
      Folks - this thread is NOT about the details of what happen - Please read the title - filling the thread only dilutes getting the message to VMG to help fix important issues.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

      .: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 9th, 2009
      Location
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      Posts
      11,071
      05-06-2010 12:13 AM #175
      new vortex is getting better and better by the hour, seems you guys are working super hard to get things back on track.

      short list of things im looking for.

      1. everything is bling. icons next to every post. bigger text, taking up more space on the page, leaving tons of dead room.

      just looking for the same basic clean minimalistic style that we used to have. more content per page.


      2. better PM handling, seems pms are to complicated with this new setup. not sure if VB has plugins to six this or not.

      3. image resizing, bigger picures will be resized to fit the forum window.



      --

      biggest concern is the theme, if you can cut out all the annoying icons and make the thread listings cleaner i will be much happier.

    Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •