Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 2.5L Idle Problems P2279 and P0507

1. 05-05-2010 08:05 AM #1
      My wife's 2006 2.5L new beetle convertible started to idle erratic yesterday. The car would almost stall then idle up to 1500rpm then almost stall. It only happened when sitting still at idle. Drive-ability at speed and acceleration felt flat but it was still driving. On the first day there was no engine error code but this morning I managed to pull two.

The codes were
      P2279- Intake air leak detected
      P0507- Idle speed faster than normal

After some troubleshooting tonight I managed to nail the problem to a ripped diaphram inside a psuedo PCV valve on the front of the valve cover. The part is called the pressure regulator valve for crankshaft housing ventilation. The down side is that I can't seem to buy it separate from buying a complete valve cover. A new valve cover is $136 plus shipping. Check out the rubber piece that's causing all the headaches.

engine bay
      http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2055/enginebayp.jpg

cover diagram
      http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4...verdiagram.jpg

parts
      http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5138/componentss.jpg

rip
      http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7213/ripb.jpg
      FYI, I could hear this thing leak and could feel air sucking in the little hole in the bottom of the outer cover of the valve. I had the classic air leak symptoms where I couldn't pull the oil cap off with the engine running. When I shut the motor off I could still hear it suck air in for about 5 seconds through the faulty diaphram.

Hope this helps others that might suffer from this problem. The car is just over 3 years old with 62k miles. I can't believe this rubber part might end up costing $150???

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02/VW/Jetta 1.8 AWP
      06-03-2010 04:08 PM #2
      I'm experiencing the exact same issue, same codes, symptoms and I found the rubber gasket to have a similar tear.

Did you ever figure out if this really was the cause and did you have to replace the entire valve cover??? I have the valve cover off but I also separated the pieces in question just in case I'm able to find the part numbers for them. Let me know how your problem turned out, I need the car running again if I wanna get my balls back from my wife

EDIT: just fixed the problem. For future reference, in case anyone else runs into this problem, the entire valve cover has to be replaced because the rubber diaphragm cannot be purchased separately
      Last edited by flip2jetta; 06-06-2010 at 11:14 PM.

3. 02-21-2013 06:48 PM #3
      For future reference:

I googled the same trouble codes and ended up at this thread and indeed the diaphragm was torn on my wife's 2005.5 2.5L jetta. HOWEVER, instead of buying a new valvecover from VW for $225 I ended up getting a Dorman Solutions kit 917-064 which is a new diaphragm, spring and cover kit.

Simply bust the old diaphragm cover off (so as not to damage the tangs on the VC) and install the Dorman kit. Make sure it's lined up correctly before you snap it on since you get one shot. Otherwise you'll end up busting this cover off too and have to hold it on with a large hose clamp till you can order a replacement.

It took a while to "seat" itself (probably because the dorman spring is twice as strong as the VW spring) but it fixed the problem for under $20.

Sorry for the zombie thread but VW not selling the diaphragm separate is a complete rip off.

4. 03-17-2013 11:08 AM #4
      Parts geek now sells just the diaphragm and spring to fix this . 19.95 .if you can not get your oil cap off while the car is running. And it revs up on its own at an idle this is what you need. And it's super easy to change. Remove the engine cover. Look for the round cap on the valve cover. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry the round cap off. There is your ripped diaphragm .replace and put engine cover back on. Worked great on my 2005 Jetta 2.5. Quick and cheap.

5. 09-06-2013 08:37 PM #5
      hello everyone i am glad i found this post, my 2006 jetta2.5 its having this problem..

Mudbucket .. do you mind posting the part number, i looked all over the parts geek website but
      i could not find it..

just one more question once i remove the valve cover do i have to replace the gasket??
      or is this optional?

also is there a tightening sequence for the valve cover screws??

thanks in advance

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit 2.5, 14 Escape 2.0 awd
      09-06-2013 08:58 PM #6
      Yes I would replace the gasket. There also is a sequence to remove and install the valve cover bolts with proper torque.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

7. 09-07-2013 01:20 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Mudbucket View Post
      Parts geek now sells just the diaphragm and spring to fix this . 19.95 .if you can not get your oil cap off while the car is running. And it revs up on its own at an idle this is what you need. And it's super easy to change. Remove the engine cover. Look for the round cap on the valve cover. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry the round cap off. There is your ripped diaphragm .replace and put engine cover back on. Worked great on my 2005 Jetta 2.5. Quick and cheap.
      i read this post over and noticed that i may be able to change the diaphragm, is this correct?
      thanks

8. 09-07-2013 12:43 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Team Aztec View Post
      i read this post over and noticed that i may be able to change the diaphragm, is this correct?
      thanks
      i am sorry i meant to say, i may be able to change the diaphragm without taking the entire valve cover off, is this correct??

9. 09-07-2013 12:59 PM #9
      got it ( DORMAN 917-064 PCV Valve-PCV Valve Diaphragm)
      parts geeks or flee bay 20.00
      thanks everyone...

10. 10-08-2013 12:12 AM #10
      Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted here. I'm having the same issues and pulled out the diaphragm and sure enough, it was torn in the same place as the pictures. Auto Zone can get the part for $27. Thanks again! I'm very thankful for this forum. 182k+ on my 2005.5 Jetta and still runs great. Solid cars.

11. 10-12-2013 11:59 AM #11
      I purchased the Dorman pcv diaphragm online after I found a hole in mine. After replacing there was an improvement, but it still had intake leaks. After driving it and looking for other leaks over about 10 days, I decided the dorman just wasn't sealing right. Ponied up for the whole valve cover and now it runs great.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta Value Edition
      01-14-2014 11:34 AM #12
      Just to let you guys and gals know, the diaphragm is on rockauto.com. $15.94 +shipping.