Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: AEB Head Swap DIY?

Vehicles
      Ghetto IV
      05-07-2010 10:49 AM #1
      Does anyone have an AEB head swap DIY? I purchased an AEB large port head to put on my AWP block since Im going BT. Anyone got anything?

BTW vBulliten sucks.

Vehicles
      Evo IX MR: 1991 VW GTi 1.8T 20V: Mk6 GLI
      05-07-2010 12:46 PM #2
      i dont think there really is a DIY, however its pretty much a remove/replace deal. minus combi port and the intake manifold that you need to swap over. oh and vvt.

Its probably better just to ask specific questions and we can help you.

EDIT: make sure to get new head bolts, do not reuse your old ones.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225
      05-07-2010 01:01 PM #3
      and new need to change the cam sensor wheel.

05-07-2010 04:02 PM #4
      straight swap over you will need to swap the cam sprocket and cam sensor wheel. There are no provisions for the combi so you will need to delete that stuff(there was diy but since vortex change i can't find it). And vvt you do not actually i would just resistor it out and forget about it.

And since you will have a large port head and small port intake you should get a transition phenolic intake spacer- http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=764

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      05-07-2010 04:33 PM #5
      why waste on a spacer when you can get an SEM manifold
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      '01 BT family sedan
      05-07-2010 05:02 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by goodhews@comcast.net View Post
      straight swap over you will need to swap the cam sprocket and cam sensor wheel. There are no provisions for the combi so you will need to delete that stuff(there was diy but since vortex change i can't find it). And vvt you do not actually i would just resistor it out and forget about it.[/url]
      This is it, but if you decide to go with the non vvt then you don't need to switch the cam sensor wheel. Just swap over the cam sprocket, as the AEB one has too many or too less of teeth so the timing belt won't line up correctly. I just did mine and i already deleted the evap/emissions stuff so other than the cam sprocket swapping over it was just doing a head swap.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      05-07-2010 05:15 PM #7
      Or go both for extreme induction madness (see: sarcasm)
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Torque is how many crubs and briks you can sled into. Horsepower is how fast you can sled into them, multiplied by how load your cam knock is.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225
      05-07-2010 06:08 PM #8
      I am pretty sure the cam sensor wheel needs to be swapped regardless

05-08-2010 01:41 AM #9
      yea you need the cam position sensor swapped regardless..........

and yea sem manifold is a viable option also, just the 034 spacer is a bit cheaper

Vehicles
      '01 BT family sedan
      05-08-2010 03:10 AM #10
      I don't mean to talk back to you guys, cause i know jwalker1.8 knows more than i do as i asked him for advice a while back. But from my understanding is with the non vvt you need the cam sensor wheel with the 1 shutter window and if you are going to use the vvt then you would need the 4 shutter window from an AWW or AWP. goodhews@comcast.net you said cam position sensor?? Just wanna clarify.

Also does the 034 spacer help as it would allow more time for air to build up before entering the head or...?

11. Member goodhews@comcast.net's Avatar
      05-08-2010 04:14 AM #11
      yea sorry about that i did mean cam sensor wheel.

the aeb uses a single window.......
      all 06a blocks(in the us at least) use a 4 window.......

keeping or losing the vvt has no affect on which cam wheel, as you resistor it out so your car still thinks its there no mater what. So if your car uses a 4window from the factory then use that, if it uses a 1 window then use that.

here is the description on the new south intake spacer, same principal its just 034 offers a transition and seems to be a better product

Intake manifold will stay 30-50* F cooler and air temps stay 20-30* F cooler.
      Made from a high performance polymer Power Gasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.Power Gasket™ has been designed for affordability easy installation and no disruption to your manifold attachment and engine accessories. This means that you can simply swap your old intake manifold gasket for a Power Gasket. No buying longer bolts or installing multiple gaskets. In less than 2 hours you will be enjoying a more powerful better performing ride.

Vehicles
      Ghetto IV
      05-08-2010 04:43 AM #12
      Thanks for all the information guys. I am having a custom manifold made by a guy that lives by my parents back in the states with a set of AEB runners and a sheet metal plenum. Im going this route because its not only cheaper but it also lets me customize every bit of placement for my AWIC setup that will sit where my battery is located.