Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: G68 Speed Sensor

1. 05-07-2010 12:19 PM #1
      I have a 1999 Jetta VR6 A4 with an automatic transmission. Been getting fault code P0722 along with fault code P0715. I have already swapped out G38 with a known good sensor and problem is still there. I came to the I would like to reaplace the other speed sensor G68 but have been having a problem locating the parts from a parts store for this year Jetta and model. From what I have been told there are 2 different type sensors made for this year. My car had the more rare hard to find sensor with the square connector. The more common one has an oval type connector. Does anyone know a good online parts store that would sell this sensor and possible have a picture of it. I have already order what was supose to be the correct sensor twice from other online stores and they keep sending me the oval type sensor. Has anyone ever ran into this problem before??? I know I can go to a deal and get the part but they would probably charge me $200.00 for a $50.00 part. If anyone knows any good VW parts stores. Please let me know.

2. 05-07-2010 05:48 PM #2
      This is what I could find, I think the left sensor is either 095-927-321-C or 095-927-321-B
      http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/Pr...927321C_S.aspx
      http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...or_118751.html

I think the right one is either 01m-927-321 or 01m-927-321-B
      http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...tr_118746.html
      http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...or_118745.html

So you have codes for both sensors (coincidence?) and you replaced one of the sensors and the codes are still there, I don't think replacing the other one is going to help either. You should probably be looking at grounds, wiring and the TCM.

3. 05-07-2010 06:10 PM #3
      I don't have a wiring diagram to trace the wires to the TCM. Do you know where the ground wires are that I should check? The reason I wanted to replace the G68 sensor was that I thought if maybe that one went back that It could give you a code for the other one as well since they are both speed sensors for the trans and kind work in conjunction with one another? The links you provided still don't really help to much since 2 out of the for links had pictures for the parts and the G68 sensor was still the oval type connector and not the square type. Any idea where I can get a good wiring diagram?

4. 05-07-2010 06:17 PM #4
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...smission/194/4

Finally found the correct part with a picture.

Looks like the square connector part number is 01M.927.321

Got it ordered up.

5. 05-07-2010 08:25 PM #5
      The only place I know of to get the wiring diagram would be from Bentley publishing, you would have to buy either the repair manual or the service DVD, that's what I use.

The grounds I was talking about are heavy gauge wires from the tranny to the engine or the tranny to the frame. They can get dirty or break and cause wierd electrical issues, I don't know where they are on your car.

Also, on some cars that have the TCM in the foot well on the front passenger side there are issues with the TCM getting wet ( I don't know how). This can also cause strange codes or TCM failure.

So if the sensor doesn't fix it you can look at those things.

6. 05-07-2010 09:26 PM #6
      Here is the wiring diagram from a New Beetle, first half of 99. It's the only one I have with the 01M tranny, you will see that they dont share any wiring between the sensors and the TCM.

7. 05-09-2010 01:22 PM #7
      Hey Naconi, thanks for the wiring diagram. I don't think I have to worry about the TCM having water damage, because the TCM is located in the cowl under some plastic trim on the Jetta's from 1999.5 to 2005.5. The Passats are the one's you got to worry about with the water damage under the passenger foot well. I'll keep you posted on my findings.

8. 05-11-2010 10:30 AM #8
      Just an update. Went through all the fuses in the car and none of them were blown. Havn't gotten into checking all the ground yet. I figured I'd do that when the G68 sensor comes in since I will have the battery box and intake tubing out of the way. I been looking through the of the other posts on here and came across a Bulletin about out of date TCM software. Does anyone know anything about that or is that could cause the problem I am having?

9. 05-14-2010 05:37 PM #9
      Ok so, got my brand new G68 speed sensor in the mail yesterday. Got it all installed, what a pain in the ass that was, having to sling the engine and trans to removed the transmission mount. After I removed the trans mount visually inspected grounds and everything around there. Everything looked fine. Installed the new sensor. Put everything back together. Cleared code out of the ECM with a genric scanner. It been 2 days now and 50 miles later and the codes have not come back and the trans now has all 4 gears again. So my question is this? Is it possible to get both fault codes P0715 and P0722 if you have a bad G68 speed sensor? All I did was replace the G68 and it took care of both codes. I never even touch any of the other sensors or unplugged any of the harnesses while replacing the G68. Hopifully there codes will stay gone for a long time now. Not sure if this was the proper way to go about fixing it or if it is truely fixed or not but as for these 2 days and 50 miles later it seems to be.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0
      06-26-2011 03:50 AM #10
      I have 98 Jetta throwing a P0715 code. It looks like I'm going to have to replace my G68 Sensor as well. Do you have any advice on replacing it from when you replaced yours. Where did you order your new sensor from. Thanks.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      06-26-2011 07:58 AM #11
      715 code refers to the G38 sensor not the g68. The code can be caused by other stuff but you would be better off trying to replace the g38 not the g68.

See this page for sensor locations.

http://www.kansascitytdi.com/01m%20faq.htm

Where to order from... I havn't found that ordering these online really saves much as compared to what I can buy them from the dealer for.

It is kind of nice to have them show up at the door (shipped) rather than driving to go get them. I dont know if it worth it to you to pay shipping or not.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

12. 07-18-2011 12:03 PM #12
      CoolAirVW,
      I have a 2001 VW Jetta 2.0L Automatic. I have read multiple posts, and have even visited KansaCityTDI and reviewed the great write-ups there, I would just like to be sure of some things before I proceed with working on my car.
      My car is stuck in "limp mode," that is it works in reverse, and is stuck in 3rd gear when placed in drive, but will manually cycle from 1 to 2 to 3, but won't go into overdrive. It was intermittently doing this a few months ago, but has permanently been this way for a little over a month now. I don't know of anyone closer than Atlanta to me (70 miles) with a VAG-COM, and the nearest dealership is at least 45 mins away. So I'm pretty much at the mercy of a local transmission shop or my own diagnosis. I scanned it myself this weekend before trying a shop. I got 2 codes:
      P0420 and P0715
      Now the specifics of my questions...
      Should I start with the G38 speed sensor based on the P0715 code? And where should I buy it? Are there any good aftermarket versions of it? Is 095 927 321B the VW Part number?
      And do you have any input regarding the 420 code (catalyst below threshold)? Dirty throttle body possibly?
      Oh, and my scanner will not clear the codes??? What's up with that?
      Thanks for all the great info! It's obvious you've spent some time working on these cars!

13. 07-19-2011 09:59 AM #13
      Hi All,

I have a vw golf 4 1999 model which has a tranny behaving funny.It has gears 1,2 and 3 but 4th not engaging.Replaced G68 AND G38 and got the codes erased by a generic scanner.Still the problem persists.What could be wrong.Gear 3 engages at about70km/hr.

14. 07-19-2011 10:18 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by zee-vy View Post
      Hi All,

I have a vw golf 4 1999 model which has a tranny behaving funny.It has gears 1,2 and 3 but 4th not engaging.Replaced G68 AND G38 and got the codes erased by a generic scanner.Still the problem persists.What could be wrong.Gear 3 engages at about70km/hr.

One more thing I have realised is that the panel on dash showing transmission position is at times turning black.

Vehicles
      07-19-2011 06:42 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mndodd111 View Post
      Should I start with the G38 speed sensor based on the P0715 code? And where should I buy it? Are there any good aftermarket versions of it? Is 095 927 321B the VW Part number?
      Yes start with the G38. I tried a few of the links above and the ones without a picture might be it. One showed a pic of the G68, and thats definatly not it.

any input regarding the 420 code (catalyst below threshold)?

I have dealt with several of these codes and all the ones I've dealt, that had no other engine codes needed a Cat. One of them was caused by a aftermarket cat that wasn't able to do the job. It would be best to scan with vag-com first though because if you have other codes that your OBDII code checker isn't showing then you could be misled (ie 02 codes or maf codes).

There is a trick that the local muffler shop and I talked about. He "spaces" the rear 02 out of the exhaust stream and this tricks the computer into thinking the cat is working. He has used it succesfully on 2 VW's at this point.

Oh, and my scanner will not clear the codes??? What's up with that?

This probably means the code is a "hard fault" meaning it reoccurs immediatly the moment you clear it.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 07-19-2011 at 06:49 PM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. n00b
      Vehicles
      VW Jetta 1.8t 2004 & VW Jetta 2.5L 2005
      07-20-2011 02:02 AM #16
      Hi CoolAirVW:
      I have a situation with a 1999 new beetle with 01m tranny. I scanned the TCM with vag-com and got 00281-Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68): No Signal. I checked the voltage in the measuring block group 2 and it shows 0.02v (it must be in 2.5 to 3.0v), but the thing is when I select (D) it engages on 2nd gear and when I run the car I have to accelerate from 5000 rpm to shift 3rd gear. Another thing is that the speedometer works fine. I replaced the g68 with a good one and still do the same thing. Any suggestions???

Sorry for my english!!!

Vehicles
      07-21-2011 07:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by fernanh View Post
      Hi CoolAirVW:
      I have a situation with a 1999 new beetle with 01m tranny. I scanned the TCM with vag-com and got 00281-Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68): No Signal. I checked the voltage in the measuring block group 2 and it shows 0.02v (it must be in 2.5 to 3.0v), but the thing is when I select (D) it engages on 2nd gear and when I run the car I have to accelerate from 5000 rpm to shift 3rd gear. Another thing is that the speedometer works fine. I replaced the g68 with a good one and still do the same thing. Any suggestions???

Sorry for my english!!!
      G68 sensor code would be caused by G68 sensor, wiring to it, connection issues, water intrusion into wiring, or bad TCM. You may be able to pinpoint the issue with ohms testing between the TCM and the sensor.

Speedometer is a funtion of the G22 VSS not the G68.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

18. 07-21-2011 01:34 PM #18
      Thanks for the info CoolAir!
      I think I found the G38 sensor at PartsTrain, so it's on it's way. Also got a filter, so I'll be following your fluid change instructions at KansasCityTDI, too. Thanks again!

Vehicles
      07-25-2011 04:22 PM #19
      Thanks for the info CoolAir!
      I think I found the G38 sensor at PartsTrain, so it's on it's way. Also got a filter, so I'll be following your fluid change instructions at KansasCityTDI, too. Thanks again!
      so your gonna try replacing the G38 to fix the code for the G68? Be sure to let us know how that works out here in this thread.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

20. 07-25-2011 04:29 PM #20
      Replaced the G38 sensor with a Febi brand one from PartsTrain.com for $25, and so far so good! No codes and shifting like it is supposed to, so here's hoping it stays that way, and good luck to everyone else!
      Thanks again for the info!

21. 07-25-2011 04:32 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      so your gonna try replacing the G38 to fix the code for the G68? Be sure to let us know how that works out here in this thread.
      Mine was the P0715 code, referring to the G38 sensor, so that's where I started, and so far it has corrected the issue!
      Thanks again!

22. 07-25-2011 04:39 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by zee-vy View Post
      Hi All,

It would prob be helpful to know what codes you were getting before, as well as what codes you are getting now, if any. Otherwise, sounds like maybe a fluid level issue or failure of clutch and/or hard parts, but that's just my guess based on my experience dealing with other auto transmissions. I'm just now learning about the VW's, involuntarily of course!

Vehicles
      96 gti auto
      08-05-2011 05:31 PM #23
      Hello all. I've been reading a couple of these posts and I have a question or two if anyone would like to chime in. I have a 96 gti auto with 189640 on the clock. My son has been driving the car so i dont know if the problem was gradual or what. When I crank the car in park, if you give it gas the car wants to move forward, but bogs down. Reverse-nothing, ND3 car moves forward as if you were driving, 2nd and 1st nothing like being in park. You can also crank the car in neutral but as soon as it starts it goes forward ( cranked the car from outside the car and had to chase it a couple of feet!) You have to turn the car off and put it in neutral in order to push the car. Also upon starting the engine has a party horn type sound that changes with with the engine speed. I scanned the computer with a generic scanner and came up with code P0715. So my questions are should i just replace the G38 or G68 sensor and retest or buy a used tranny from the salvage yard for $100 + $28 for the 30 day warranty and the sensors too? Thanks for any and all suggestions!
      Last edited by vwheadz1; 08-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Vehicles
      08-06-2011 07:53 AM #24
      Mine was the P0715 code, referring to the G38 sensor, so that's where I started, and so far it has corrected the issue!
      Thanks again!
      I guess I should have read post 12 better eh?? dOH!
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      08-06-2011 07:54 AM #25
      It would prob be helpful to know what codes you were getting before, as well as what codes you are getting now,
      I'll 2nd that emotion.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

26. 01-04-2013 10:26 PM #26
      Hey guys, new to the forum here. Please help if you will.

99.5 or Newer body style Auto trans 2.0

First it quit shifting from second unless I revved over like 5k and held it. Soon as that happened I quit driving it. Light came on. I pulled the code reader said no signal from output speed sensor.

Well then I unplugged the both sensors G68 and G38 plugged back up then it shifted for like a day. I saw the dash go into limp mode as well. With shift lights. Quit shifting. I guessed that the output sensor just went bad and then completely went out.

Then it went right back to not shifting. So I replaced the easy sensor the G38 NO fix then replaced the one under the tranny mount which I believe is the output speed sensor and NO fix. I don't know where the ground wires are to check. Everything I can see looks good but no idea whats going on. Been like two weeks getting wrong parts and finally getting the right one through the Stealership for like triple the money and cant return it. That is the sensor under the tranny mount.

Tried doing the tranny resets maybe didn't do it right on the reset I dont know.

Please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Fred

27. n00b
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0
      01-05-2013 09:53 PM #27
      Have you checked to make sure the transmission has the proper amount of fluid inside it. Volkswagen calls it a lifetime fill but I have experienced first hand the need to add fluid. I had to fashion a little device of my own to fill the transmission fluid to the correct level.

28. 01-06-2013 12:33 AM #28
      Well after 2 weeks of not driving the car and it driving me crazy thats what it was. It has a small leak at one of the seals. It was low on fluid. WOW. They did some things right but really screwed up if you ask me. Put a frekin dip stick check on there instead of under the car nonsense.

Thanks for the reply.

If you have tranny issues pop up. First thing check the fluid. Normally I would have. But got to go all out over engineering.

29. 04-01-2013 10:09 AM #29
      2002 Jetta 4 speed auto(not Tiptronic) 2.0L gas 110,000 miles
      Code(s) in photo below taken from VCDS(VagCom). G68 sensor the best place to start? I know that might seem obvious but reading many replies in here is a bit confusing as to the G38, fluid level, ground wires, etc. Or go for ground check first, then G68? I'm assuming(hoping) the other fault codes are due to the G68?
      Physical symptoms. Won't shift out of first until 4,000 rpm and will shift to 3rd only once unless you stop and either shut car off or shift into park and get going again. Will not ever shift into 4th. And it early downshifts just below 2,000 rpm.
      Last edited by DR.billZ; 04-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Vehicles
      04-06-2013 05:36 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by DR.billZ View Post
      2002 Jetta 4 speed auto(not Tiptronic) 2.0L gas 110,000 miles
      Code(s) in photo below taken from VCDS(VagCom). G68 sensor the best place to start? I know that might seem obvious but reading many replies in here is a bit confusing as to the G38, fluid level, ground wires, etc. Or go for ground check first, then G68? I'm assuming(hoping) the other fault codes are due to the G68?
      Physical symptoms. Won't shift out of first until 4,000 rpm and will shift to 3rd only once unless you stop and either shut car off or shift into park and get going again. Will not ever shift into 4th. And it early downshifts just below 2,000 rpm.
      Since the computer uses the G68 in its calculations to determinte the 00653 and 01192 codes you have to ignore those till the g68 code is gone. You can do some testing or maybe just try replacing it.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

31. 08-21-2013 02:57 PM #31
      [QUOTE=nsmiller;80277676]Have you checked to make sure the transmission has the proper amount of fluid inside it. Volkswagen calls it a lifetime fill but I have experienced first hand the need to add fluid. I had to fashion a little device of my own to fill the transmission fluid to the correct level.
      Will you be able to share your little device? To make one.
      Thanks

Vehicles
      08-21-2013 04:29 PM #32
      [QUOTE=antarqu1;82842787]
      Quote Originally Posted by nsmiller View Post
      Have you checked to make sure the transmission has the proper amount of fluid inside it. Volkswagen calls it a lifetime fill but I have experienced first hand the need to add fluid. I had to fashion a little device of my own to fill the transmission fluid to the correct level.
      Will you be able to share your little device? To make one.
      Thanks
      If you dont want to take the time to make one you can fill the trans through the g38 speed sensor hole. Just have to pull the breather. See the following link.

http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-filter-change/

We made a pump that is powered from our "jump box" that pumps fluid in for us, but on a 01m its easier just to pull the breather and the g38 sensor and use a funnel.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com