Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: MKV Premium 8/RCD510 Swap

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-07-2010 11:40 PM #1
      I swapped my Premium7 for a Premium8/RCD510 today. The RCD510 is the touchscreen non-Nav 6CD+Sat radio that comes in the MKV. I didnt find a good guide anywhere online (only found a lot of RNS510 guides...), so I decided to make one.

The process was very simple. Swapping everything probably only took me about an hour, and I think anyone with a bit of do-it-yourself inclination could swap radios with no problem. The entire thing is plug and play - no VAGCOM necessary (unless your radio comes with weird coding...).

This would also be a good time to install an AUX-in. See my other DIY.

Cost
      The cables and adapters cost about 50-70 dollars, depending on whether you get a sat radio extension with the FAKRA connectors or not. Considering the street price of an RCD510 is 450-500, the total upgrade will run you somewhere around 525 dollars. To be fair, you can sell the old radio equipment you remove to help lessen the blow.

Parts
      You need the following parts:
      -RCD510 radio (P/N 3C8 035 195 AC)
      -A CAN module of revision 'L' or newer.
      If you have an older version, the radio will not enter 'sleep' mode, and your car will need a jump every morning. I believe MY2008+ already have this module or better, but you should double check just in case. You can check by using VAGCOM or by finding the module itself and reading the part number. The latest version of the module is 1K0907530AD and will add around 240 dollars to the total cost of the upgrade. Though the install of the CAN module itself is very easy, you need a VAGCOM to code it.
      Update: According to Sebastian@RossTech, you may only need to have your CAN module software updated rather than completely replace the module. It looks like you should just be able to ask your dealer to update your can gateway software. The issue is described in TPI 2017949. Find more information here.
      -One-piece AM/FM antenna adapter: P/N 7L6 051 551
      -Sirius/XM antenna extension. If you are upgrading from a Premium 7 and want to keep your sat radio.
      You can find a basic one here, or you can find one with the proper FAKRA connector on the end at oemplus or MFD3
      I bought mine from MFD3 because oemplus was out of stock at the time. Any, even without the FAKRA connector, will do.
      You can also buy the OEM 2.5m F-F extension, and the .3m M-M adapter.
      The part numbers are 000098653 (2.5m extension) and 000098692 (.3m adapter).
      Total cost should be ~35 dollars plus shipping. This length only works for the Rabbit/GTI. If you have a Jetta/GLI, you need a longer extension!

You can get the parts from any dealership or VW parts retailer (I use genuinevwaudiparts.com)

Tools

-Soft plastic trim removal tool (1000x better than a screwdriver)
      -Electrical tape
      -magnet rod (not really necessary but useful)
      -[torque] wrench and 10mm triple square for removing the seat
      -T15 torx screwdriver
      -ye olde abortion stick (unraveled hanger)
      -sticky tape
      -small pliers/scissors (makes things easier)

okay! lets do this!

First, make sure to remove all of the CD's from your existing player.

Next, put your cooling system on defrost, which will close the vent going to the dash and help prevent you from dropping stuff into it while working.

At the top center of the dash, use the trim tools to pop out the plastic sensor cover. If you have a climatronic, this will have a cable connected to it which you must disconnect. There is a screw in the bottom once the cover is removed. Remove it.

Use the trim tool to pop out the vent assembly.

This will reveal yet another plastic tray underneath.

Pry this tray up by the back end

Surprise! More plastic bits. Remove the two screws indicated by the arrows.

Use the trim tool to pry the vent assembly straight up. I found it easiest to use two tools and put them underneath each of the front vents. Note that you need to make sure you are prying up on top of the thin plastic strip shown in the arrows.

After you have pried the vent assembly up enough, it will pop out around 1/4". Lift the vent assembly straight up until it is free, then place it off to the side.

Undo the two screws holding the lower trim piece in.

Pry the trim piece towards the back of the car. It was easiest to pry around the entire piece in a circular fashion.

Undo the 4 screws holding the radio in.

At this point, the radio will slide straight out. There is a fair amount of slack in the cabling, so dont worry too much about pulling it all the way out. Then, remove the big honkin connector ("quadlock"). push down on the tab on the bottom, then push the tab to the back, releasing it. Pull the plug out. If you want to install Aux-in, see my other DIY for how to swap the pins around.

Next, remove the AM/FM cables by pushing back on the little plastic tab and pulling out.

Both radios together.

The next part of the DIY involves running the satellite extension cable. If your car didnt come with sat radio, you'll have to buy a separate antenna (pretty cheap) and install it wherever you want. If you dont care about sat radio, skip these steps.

Remove the passenger side kick plate by unscrewing the single T15 screw and pulling straight down.

Once the panel is removed, it will reveal access to the space behind the radio.

Take the end of your extension that goes to the satellite antenna. It looks like this if you got the FAKRA version.

Drop it down into the hole behind the radio in the general direction of the removed panel.

Fish out the cable at in the footwell

And pull the slack through.

Leave enough slack at the top that you can still plug it in. I taped the sat extension to the AM/FM cables to make sure it didnt fall into the dash on accident.

Remove the front passenger seat by undoing the 4 bolts on the seat rails. You dont need to take it out of the car, just lean it back when it is unscrewed so that the space under the seat can be easily accessed. I had previously removed my sat radio, so there arent any pictures. In short, pull the plastic fairing forward off the radio unit, and undo the screws holding the radio bracket on. Remove the entire assembly and cry as you sell it in the classifieds for pennies on the dollar. If you ever want to install bluetooth in the future, save the bracket and fairing though, because the bluetooth adapter installs there.

Having moved the seat out of the way, tape the end of the cable to the clothes hanger.

Plumb the cable behind the carpet and insulation, pushing it towards the opening under the seat. You can gently pull the carpet and insulation away from the center console to help.

Eventually, you'll be able to pull the cable out.

Then, I pulled all of the slack through, and routed it under the carpet (though not under the insulation, to the other side of the seat where the existing satellite antenna cable was poking through.

I then coiled up all of the slack, taped it together, and connected the sat antennas.
      NOTE: IF YOU ARE REPLACING AN XM RADIO OR OLDER SIRIUS RADIO, THERE MAY BE TWO ANTENNA PLUGS. Just plug the extension into either, no adapter is necessary.

I pushed all of the cabling very sloppily underneath the carpet.

And reinstalled the seat. The torque for the seat bolts is 29.5 ft-lbs/40 N-m

Have a beer.
      Last edited by scenturion; 03-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-07-2010 11:41 PM #2
      Reinstall the kick panel by pushing straight up, and reinstalling the screw. When you push it up, it should click into place.

Take your AM/FM antenna adapters, and slide the metal ends into the dual-adapter. they should click into place. Then, secure them by pushing the purple part so it clicks against the plastic plug body.

Next, the RCD510 gets installed. Take your RCD510 and insert the quadlock plug. Insert the plug, and rotate the latch closed.

Plug the AM/FM antenna into the adapter. I dont think it matters which goes into which. Slide the plastic parts closed to lock them into the adapter.
      Then, plug the dual-adapter into the back of the radio.

Finally, plug the sat radio cable into the RCD510, and slide it into place.

At this point, you can turn on the radio. It will ask for the radio code, which the seller of the unit should have given you.

Make sure everything on the radio works (sat, AMFM reception, AUX if you have it) to make sure everything was wired up right.

Reinstall all of the trim pieces. Make sure they all snap into place so all of the panels line up nicely.

There you have it!....

Or not...
      For some reason, my MFD wouldnt display the Audio screen anymore.
      After 3 hours spent searching the internet and fussing about with VAGCOM, I found out that it magically fixed itself after I power cycled by pulling the fuse and reinserting it...

The fuse diagram in the manual was wrong, so I pulled every 15amp fuse until the radio went off. This threw a nightmarish number of error codes - if I didnt have a VAGCOM I would have been in serious trouble. I have circled the appropriate fuse for my vehicle (MY09), so you can avoid this situation.
      Last edited by scenturion; 03-23-2014 at 09:29 PM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat W8 6MT Variant
      05-08-2010 12:17 AM #3
      Great DIY. I'd love to do this on my 2007 GTI, but not really sure if it's worth it after having to purchase a new CAN cable which seems to go for around $300 on top of an RCD. Starting to resign myself to the idea of the Satellite iPod adapter. (I still have the old 6-disk emulator adapter. boo. )

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-08-2010 12:21 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Great DIY. I'd love to do this on my 2007 GTI, but not really sure if it's worth it after having to purchase a new CAN cable which seems to go for around $300 on top of an RCD. Starting to resign myself to the idea of the Satellite iPod adapter. (I still have the old 6-disk emulator adapter. boo. )
      You can get the latest version of the CAN module, 1K0907530AD, for around 240. But, yeah, its a tough call to make at that price point.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      05-08-2010 12:46 AM #5
      Looks good!

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta
      05-08-2010 12:56 AM #6
      Nice DIY!

Nice radio upgrade too.
      2006 Jetta 2.5 GLI Sedan: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Auto-Dimming mirror, Rain Closing, Highline MFI, Blacked-out side markers, Blacked-out Grill, Alloy Wheels, OEM Silver Taillights (inner and outer converted to LED), Rear Window Sun Shade, Premium 7 6 Disc in-dash Stereo, Auto Headlights, Power Recline on Passenger Seat, Euro trunk handle deck release, Spice Red

Vehicles
      2012 A4; 2010 TDI
      05-08-2010 09:33 AM #7
      thanks for the DIY... you have a great taste in beer too

Are the premium 8s still in 600 bucks?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Sport 6MT
      05-08-2010 10:13 AM #8
      great writeup. may be a thread jack, but does anyone have info on seamlessly adding ipod compatibility to the RCD510 retro-fitted/installed into a 05.5 Jetta? I've sat in a mk6 golf and i like the plug right down in center console and was wondering if there's anything like that available for the mk5 jetta (rather than a cord just trailing out from somewhere). TIA!!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-10-2010 02:11 PM #9
      There's a whole bunch of AA CAN modules on ebay for only $100
      Find them here

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 1999 silverado
      05-10-2010 04:33 PM #10
      great DIY. ive been looking into this i have the RDC already just need to go look up the other adapters needed and CAN module to finish and im sure ill need to get VAGCommed i have an 06 and i do not know anyone with one to help me.

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5
      05-10-2010 04:47 PM #11
      Wanna get rid of your Premium8? I have an 05.5, and the buttons have started to peel.
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5

12. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      2015 /S3 - 2004 .:R32
      05-10-2010 04:51 PM #12
      Nice write up. Did this in my friends 09 because she wanted the touchscreen after being in my mk6.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R (SOLD) - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3 - '18 RS3

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-10-2010 05:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GLIBoy06 View Post
      great DIY. ive been looking into this i have the RDC already just need to go look up the other adapters needed and CAN module to finish and im sure ill need to get VAGCommed i have an 06 and i do not know anyone with one to help me.
      Try posting in your regional forum, or looking here: http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/locator.aspx

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE
      05-10-2010 08:28 PM #14
      How does the premium 8 work with iphone integration? Does it display the song info? How does the search functions work?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-10-2010 09:49 PM #15
      I am not sure about the iphone functionality. You would need to buy a MDI module separately to plug in an MP3 player.
      See here: http://www.my-gti.com/42/volkswagen-...-interface-mdi

16. 05-11-2010 12:07 PM #16
      Great writeup!!

One small question. Do you need to unplug the battery first in order to do this? Coz from other DIY (removing the radio), they mentioned something about removing the air bag sensor/emergency light cables and need to unplug the battery in order not to trigger a fault code.

Thanks

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      05-11-2010 12:50 PM #17
      Where o where did you get the head unit? I am looking to do this to my Wolfie and am having issues finding any reference to the RCD-510..

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      05-11-2010 01:34 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Konoyei View Post
      Great writeup!!

One small question. Do you need to unplug the battery first in order to do this? Coz from other DIY (removing the radio), they mentioned something about removing the air bag sensor/emergency light cables and need to unplug the battery in order not to trigger a fault code.

Thanks
      I didnt unplug those cables, I just set the entire unit to the side. If you were to unplug the cables (I'm not sure why you would...), you need to unplug the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by f1fan10 View Post
      Where o where did you get the head unit? I am looking to do this to my Wolfie and am having issues finding any reference to the RCD-510..
      They go up for sale in the MKV and MKVI classifieds section every once in a while (I got mine from the MKV section). If you are patient, you can find one for around 500 dollars.

Vehicles
      2008 GTI 2-door stick
      05-11-2010 02:10 PM #19
      Nice write and excellent choice of beer.

20. 07-01-2010 02:08 PM #20
      Exactly where is the CAN so I can check the version I have. I have a 2006 GLI so I'm figuring I would need to replace mine (though the dealer did replace my radio in '09 I doubt they wouldve changed that as well).

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      07-01-2010 02:20 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by scottydanger View Post
      Exactly where is the CAN so I can check the version I have.
      Over the acceleration pedal: http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2010/03...eway-j533.html

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Miata, 2004 Miata
      07-04-2010 01:30 PM #22
      Has anyone done this swap on a Jetta?

Far East of the Western world - St. John's Newfoundland CAN A1B1C2
      Vehicles
      '10 Golf wagon highline (lowered 1" with GTI suspension, 17" Goal wheels, RNS-510); '13 R-Tiguan
      07-06-2010 07:42 PM #23
      Scenturion:

Nice DYI. Looks like you have two male (plug) Sat connectors under the seat - a green (E) one and a blue one? You did not say how you connected them? Just disconnected and spliced them?

Although I understand they can be cut-off, why did you use blue? Lack of availability for green? I thought the blue one was mated to lock in on GPS connector, and the green one is mated for Sat.

Reason I am asking is because I am doing a custom OEM install, and I am tying to grab the information I need form little pieces here and there. I have no pre-existying wiring - have the Premium 7 without sat. From what I undertand, I need to install a fresh (estimated 16') run from the headunit to the back top of car. Green female goes into the back of the unit, and a male goes into the satellite sharkfin antenna connection, I understand. Can you comment and confirm anything?

Thanks.

Rob

24. 07-13-2010 08:11 AM #24
      I have a 2009 CC that I replaced the Prem 7 with a RCD510. The quadlock while plugged into the Prem 7 provides the sat antenna connection to the OEM sharkfin (AM/FM Fakras where unplugged at this point) however when I plug the quadlock into the RCD510 I get NO SAT antenna.

On the back of the RCD510 there is an additional GREEN Fakra connection, Is this for the sat antenna? If so how do I integrate this connection with the OEM sharkfin in my car?

25. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      2015 /S3 - 2004 .:R32
      07-13-2010 08:25 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post

On the back of the RCD510 there is an additional GREEN Fakra connection, Is this for the sat antenna? If so how do I integrate this connection with the OEM sharkfin in my car?
      yes that is for sat. in a cc you need to run a sat extension cable from the back of the radio to the trunk where the sirius box is. just like the op did but instead of being under the passenger seat it's in the back.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R (SOLD) - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3 - '18 RS3

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast