Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY: MKV Wiper Linkage Fix

1. Member
      Vehicles
      12 jetta 2.0
      05-10-2010 08:28 AM #1
      The PO of my 07 Jetta tried to use the wipers when the car was covered in ice and they quit working working for him. The wipers would barely move any and then just stop about 4 inches up the windshield. The linkage has two bushings on each end and one had popped off the wiper motor.

Mark your windshield with some masking tape where your wipers lay in their normal position.
      To start out put your wipers in maintenance mode.
      Pop your hood.
      Mark your windshield with some masking tape where your wipers lay in their normal position.
      Pop off the plastic bolt covers from the wiper arms. I used a small flathead with a couple layers of tape on the head.
      Remove the 1/2" nut that holds the wiper arm on.
      Remove the right side wiper blade and then take the wiper arms off. You could prob use some sort of puller but I just grab the wiper arm as close to the bolt as possible and pull up and keep pulling till it pops off. Be careful not to hold the arm where it hinges as you will pinch yourself when the wiper arm tries to close up with your finger in it. Yes it hurts.

I didnt think to start taking pics till now sorry.
      The plastic cowl cover snaps into a groove on the bottom of the windshield and there are two pieces on each side that snap into it.

I started on the drivers side and got my hand behind the cowl cover and pulled up with the other hand and slowly worked it across.

Once this was out of the way it was obvious what the problem was.

So to remove the wiper motor and linkage you need a t30 torx socket for the two bolts on each side of the assembly.

Unplug the connection to the wiper motor.

Once you loosen the t30 bolts you have to manipulate the assembly inside the cowl quite a bit to work it out. What worked for me was to get the bolts under where they were mounted and work the passengers side out first.

That allowed to rotate the motor side of the assembly and remove it from the cowl.

Once the assembly was out I put a c-clamp (like I use on brake calipers) on the bushing and arm and popped it back on there.

It was already lubed up pretty good so I didnt add any more. If yours is dry... lube it up.
      Once the bushing is back on the post and your linkage is working again work the assembly back into the cowl the opposite way you got it out. Tighten the t30 bolts back down. Then attach the drivers side wiper arm and 1/2" nut to test everything. You have to close the hood or the wipers wont work.

If everything is working good then remove the drivers side arm and reinstall everything in the reverse order you removed it.
      Before I popped the cowl cover into the groove at the bottom of the windshield I cleaned the groove out to ensure a good seal.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      05-10-2010 08:57 AM #2
      Thanks for taking the time to put together a procedure. I'm adding this to the FAQ as I figure it'll be helpful to more members as these cars age.

-Brian
      Ride In: 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia

3. Member
      Vehicles
      12 jetta 2.0
      05-10-2010 09:06 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
      Thanks for taking the time to put together a procedure. I'm adding this to the FAQ as I figure it'll be helpful to more members as these cars age.

-Brian
      thanks I hope it helps somebody. Even if not the same issue this might help in changing the wiper motor or similar.

4. Junior Member
      05-19-2010 01:02 PM #4
      This sounds like what just failed on my 99.5 this morning (and of course I was on the highway and it was POURING!). When you turn on the wipers, you heard the motor still trying to work, right? I'm going to check it out more tonight after work. I did a search in the MK IV forum but don't see any other posts/diy's for wiper issues.

Does anyone know of any other issues I could check if its not the linkage? Link if there is?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      12 jetta 2.0
      05-19-2010 01:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Baubkatt View Post
      This sounds like what just failed on my 99.5 this morning (and of course I was on the highway and it was POURING!). When you turn on the wipers, you heard the motor still trying to work, right? I'm going to check it out more tonight after work. I did a search in the MK IV forum but don't see any other posts/diy's for wiper issues.

Does anyone know of any other issues I could check if its not the linkage? Link if there is?
      You could hear the motor still working and you could also hear the motor arm hitting the linkage and thats the only reason the wipers were moving a little.
      If your motor is still working theres not much else it cold be other than the linkage I believe.

GL!