Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official R32 Clear Coat Peel thread*

1. 08-11-2010 06:06 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      really dude? really? new to the r32 boards?
      haha whatever dude this is just like all other forums, you gotta post 4k times to have a say. what a joke

2. Member
      Vehicles
      04 Shedding TR R32
      08-11-2010 06:30 PM #37
      back on topic

None here yet. I keep a close eye on mine. When I detail it, I have noticed little bubbles, pin sized, that I can push down to make it less noticeable. I can only see these in halogen sun lights though. It was garaged or covered for 4 years. Now it is an outside car. Car has lived in TX and FL.

Knowing how passionate owners of R32s are, I doubt waxing was skipped. The pictures clearly indicate clear coat failure.

Its said that this is becoming more prevalent. I'd say its affecting at least 15% of the TR R's
      Last edited by shinnersvr6; 08-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Vehicles
      95 Golf, 11 Tiguan, 07 Chevy Van
      08-14-2010 03:45 PM #38
      Rob Coletta
      143,500miles
      TR R32

Quarter size spot on driver rear quarter
      Quarter size spot and drivers a pillar
      a few dings from rocks taht are starting on the front

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32
      08-14-2010 07:01 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazey83 View Post
      haha whatever dude this is just like all other forums, you gotta post 4k times to have a say. what a joke

Vehicles
      2011 S4 1991 E30 325is
      08-15-2010 04:14 PM #40
      WAX DUDES, everyone whos cars are peeling are they left out in the sun baking all day, and do you only wash the car but not wax it, the only reason i wax my car is to keep the paint from chipping and peeling, it keeps it moist. maybe im wrong and its whatever but im really curious to know, because it seems sketchy man

it wouldnt surprise me if these cars never saw a coat of wax, the paint is probably so dried out
      1. my car is hand washed/waxed, garaged, and rarely in snow/rain.
      2. my car is peeling like crazy from a fault on the Manufacturer's end. Learn the history and problems the TR R32 community is having.

sooo GTFO with your uneducated rant I do not feel like having this thread locked for no reason. We are all trying very hard to VWOA to recognize the fault on their end. A manufacturer's defect is causing our clear coat to de-laminate. Out of 500 TR's about 100 have this issue.

So its cool to be a forum noob, and want to ask questions, I have no problem with that, but this thread is for people who are directly affected by VW's poor painting job in the TR's. Please post your rants elsewhere, unless you have legitimate things to offer. So until then:
      The Wheel Lab
      Dealers of: HRE BBS Fifteen52, DPE, KW, Bilstein, H&R, and more
      Please contact me at Sales@Wheel-Lab.com
      Follow us on Facebook!
      Visit our current website.

Vehicles
      Montana Green GTi 16V / Tornado Red R32
      08-27-2010 08:46 PM #41
      66k 04 Tornado red R32, huge bubble just growing under backseat passenger window
      1992 Montana Green GTi 16V TT chip, TT exhaust, weitec coilovers, Logic wheels, similar to the saleen sterns, only uber rare, especially in 15'

2004 Tornado Red R32- Stock

Vehicles
      '11 Accord EX, '08 R32, '04 R32, '94 Integra GS-R. '04 Taurus
      08-31-2010 01:35 PM #42
      What about adding build date for reference as well? My '04 paint is still intact, although she's been a garage queen most of her life. I sure hope VW has corrected this colossal f&%$up, seeing as I own a Tornado Red '08 R32 as well!

And the build date on my '04 is May, 2004. I wonder if it's across the whole 500 car batch, or limited to earlier build dates.
      Current VWs: 'MKV TR R32 (#3687), MKIV TR R32
      Past VWs: '88 Fox, '93 Fox, '95 Jetta, '96 Jetta Trek, '99.5 Jetta VR6, '01 Jetta GLX VR6

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      08-31-2010 01:47 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Projekt R32 View Post
      2. my car is peeling like crazy from a fault on the Manufacturer's end. Learn the history and problems the TR R32 community is having.

sooo GTFO with your uneducated rant I do not feel like having this thread locked for no reason. We are all trying very hard to VWOA to recognize the fault on their end. A manufacturer's defect is causing our clear coat to de-laminate. Out of 500 TR's about 100 have this issue.

So its cool to be a forum noob, and want to ask questions, I have no problem with that, but this thread is for people who are directly affected by VW's poor painting job in the TR's. Please post your rants elsewhere, unless you have legitimate things to offer. So until then:
      I support this thread although (knock on wood) I don't have the issue but you never know when the issue will come up. Hopefully VW will take care of this for everyone. I also wash and wax my car often but I am the 3rd owner with 46k miles (10k of those are my miles). I don't know how the first owner kept it up. I know the second owner kept it waxed because I did it for him.
      Good Luck on this it's been a hot topic for some time now.

-LUI

Vehicles
      MKVI Golf 2.5, MkVI GTI, MkIV R32, MkII GTI
      08-31-2010 02:40 PM #44
      I can't believe VW won't address this issue with these cars, how lousy on their part. It's clearly a manufacturer defect. GOOD LUCK getting it resolved with VW. I had a 2006 BMP GLI and the clear coat was peeling off it by 22,000 miles.

Vehicles
      07 Silverado, 2012 Forestor
      08-31-2010 09:25 PM #45
      Well you should look here. The thread I had seems to have more info in it that might help the cause.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ff-in-sheets-(

Vehicles
      04 R32T
      09-08-2010 04:40 PM #46
      Rick
      52,xxx
      Original owner
      TR: Clear coming off on hood, roof, leading edge. Car has been garaged most of its life. I'm pissed

Vehicles
      Mark IV R32 TR
      09-08-2010 07:37 PM #47
      Not sure if you've gotten anywhere with VW. Will supply pics but minor issue at the moment. However... 88k, acne on the front hood edge. No issues elsewhere...yet. Garaged most of the time, washed and waxed consistantly. TR obviously. Where do we stand?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      MkV R32 #1847 (Tornado Red), 2004 Turbo Beetle
      09-10-2010 12:04 AM #48

2008 TR .:R owner here.. VW Canada seems more willing to explore the issue for me even though they denied it on the first inquiry. But it's interesting to find out this is not even just a 2008 problem.

Here's my thread in MkV forum:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...enied-on-paint

Vehicles
      04 R32 HPA FT450, 10 Audi A4 2.0T APR Stage 1, 92 MR2 Turbo w/BPUs
      09-10-2010 08:40 AM #49
      2. my car is peeling like crazy from a fault on the Manufacturer's end.
      Just a quick question to all the TR people with this issue.

Even if you wash and wax it a lot plus a garage..
      Who parks out in the sun during the day?

I have no issues yet, but my car lives in garages.
      It sees sun when it's moving but most of it's life it has
      lived in garages out of the sun. I can basically count
      the days that it sat all day outside in direct sunlight for a full day.

So if you have a Dracula TR, are you free of clear coat issues?
      Manufacturers defects exist but there should be a catalyst like the sun,
      acid rain, too much OCD detailing with spinning the polishing compound..etc.

I'm sorry to see this happen to so many people.
      If/when it happens to me I am going to vinyl wrap the car.

This same thing happened to my 91 Mr2 turbo. That red sucked too.

Vehicles
      2011 S4 1991 E30 325is
      09-10-2010 10:21 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by pod-mods View Post
      Who parks out in the sun during the day?
      Mine is garaged unless driven, if its parked outside when I have to go out for errands its out for like an hour. Unless I am out for the night, on a trip, ect, my car is garaged. I treat this car better than any GF I have had, haha. My paint started to peel before 40k miles...

Quote Originally Posted by pod-mods View Post

If/when it happens to me I am going to vinyl wrap the car.
      Way ahead of you, wrapping the R32 is my winter project.... URBAN CAMO SON!
      The Wheel Lab
      Follow us on Facebook!

Vehicles
      04 .:R
      09-10-2010 10:33 AM #51
      WAX DUDES, everyone whos cars are peeling are they left out in the sun baking all day, and do you only wash the car but not wax it, the only reason i wax my car is to keep the paint from chipping and peeling, it keeps it moist. maybe im wrong and its whatever but im really curious to know, because it seems sketchy man

it wouldnt surprise me if these cars never saw a coat of wax, the paint is probably so dried out

Once the paint has cured it's 100% dry, wax just shines and helps paint not fade I though. Then again I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Vehicles
      A3, 2001 Jetta 3.2 4Motion, usually something else
      09-10-2010 07:59 PM #52
      I'm not putting my information in the thread, but here's my pics.

link to larger pic

link to larger pic
      Last edited by youngm7; 07-14-2011 at 02:59 PM.

18. 09-12-2010 07:16 PM #53
      Reflex silver
      60,000k but stated within the second year.
      Roof mainly along windshield also on hood
      Original owner
      My brother who owns a body shop thinks it occurred during shipping and painted here in the states.

19. 09-22-2010 01:32 AM #54

chill out man, not looking to fight about the subject or get your thread locked at all, like i said in my post i may be wrong. Its just a thought and my personal opinion man, because honestly if it were a defect VW should have had it recalled or at least acknowledge it, it just seems odd that they do not recognize it as a problem. I mean common man the car is 6 years old don't you think they would have done something about it by now? I am not a professional on this matter but just because i have 10 posts doesn't mean im a "noob" to cars. Im not trying to rain on your parade but that's the way i look at it, and obviously everyone who is affected by it is going to think i'm an a**hole but im not and in no way did i say anything disrespectful in my post. So after you say GTFO and call me uneducated you decide to add you dont want this to get locked, and you also add a cute little picture at the end. Call me crazy but you seem to be a bit immature. Its people like you who need to calm down, take a xanax and re-think your next post, buddy.

Good-luck trying to get this "defect" solved

Vehicles
      2011 S4 1991 E30 325is
      09-22-2010 09:24 AM #55
      chill out man, not looking to fight about the subject or get your thread locked at all, like i said in my post i may be wrong. Its just a thought and my personal opinion man, because honestly if it were a defect VW should have had it recalled or at least acknowledge it, it just seems odd that they do not recognize it as a problem. I mean common man the car is 6 years old don't you think they would have done something about it by now? I am not a professional on this matter but just because i have 10 posts doesn't mean im a "noob" to cars. Im not trying to rain on your parade but that's the way i look at it, and obviously everyone who is affected by it is going to think i'm an a**hole but im not and in no way did i say anything disrespectful in my post. So after you say GTFO and call me uneducated you decide to add you dont want this to get locked, and you also add a cute little picture at the end. Call me crazy but you seem to be a bit immature. Its people like you who need to calm down, take a xanax and re-think your next post, buddy.

#1. I called YOUR RANT uneducated
      #2. VW did acknowledge this issue and agreed to pay out on each individual spot for 1 person, Powedubs. They will not acknowledge anyone else's claims. Which is rediculous, and why we must all band together and fight on this.
      #3. I will say GTFO to you, and whomever else wants to act like a child, tell us its our fault for the clear peeling when you clearly do not know what you are talking about.

Wax doesn't keep your paint "wet". How would that make sense? Paint is cured before it leaves the factory. Also dude, I hand wax, hand wash, and garage my car, it doesn't see snow ever, and the paint started peeling at 40k miles. Explain that to me.

Simple fact is people piss me off, you happen to as well with your other post. Sorry if I offended you, again I was calling your rant uneducated, not you. Don't take it so personally, and again, If I offended you, sorry. It wasn't my intention. I do not respond well to people ranting on my post with no facts, (again not calling you ignorant, just know your facts man) but when you rant bomb someone's post who truly does care for his R32, and truly is trying to help EVERYONE with this issue, you should expect some fire back bro. Either way, no hard feelings, and have a good week
      The Wheel Lab
      Follow us on Facebook!

Vehicles
      04 R32//05 TReg V8//06 A3 2.0T
      09-26-2010 03:08 PM #56
      Today is a sad day for me

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32
      09-26-2010 03:56 PM #57
      2004 TR peeling since the day I bought it at 76,000 miles. Starting to get worse.

23. 09-26-2010 07:21 PM #58
      Peeling at hood, roof and sides since about 45K miles. I do live in sunny CA, but take very good care of my R - as do the rest of you.

VW would do nothing. Went to local shop for repaint. Now my Reds don't quite match up. Very noticeable depending on the time of day. I've recently discovered more peeling in areas that weren't repainted.

I love my car, and have no intention of selling. I'm driving this girl into the ground. I'm seriously considering painting the whole car midnight blue and getting black rims.

Whatcha think? Most tell me I shouldn't. But from what I hear, red is worst in CA sun.

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32, 1982 Porsche 928S Euro, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1962 VW Myers Manx (sold), 2000 Trans Am
      09-26-2010 09:23 PM #59

Vehicles
      MKIV R32
      09-26-2010 09:37 PM #60
      I'm at 104,000 in AZ sun all day and no peeling... yet. I probably shouldn't even post that. Tomorrow I'll find some! Hopefully VWOA will address this. But then I wish they would also address the fading MFIs, door switches and growing problem of whining rear diffs.

Vehicles
      04 R32//05 TReg V8//06 A3 2.0T
      09-27-2010 01:42 PM #61
      yea i have a post earlier in this thread where i said i didnt have any... just sayin

27. 10-04-2010 02:38 PM #62
      Drove to Petit Le Mans this weekend in the rain. Had a couple spots that had started to form, but after 6 hours of rain, it looked like this by the time we got there. Some more spots on the roof as well.

Original owner

28. 10-05-2010 01:11 PM #63
      We'll I called VWOA and basically said I am SOL because it's out or warranty.

My case # is 100-323-343

101,xxx mi

29. 10-05-2010 08:08 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by mfc143 View Post
      Drove to Petit Le Mans this weekend in the rain. Had a couple spots that had started to form, but after 6 hours of rain, it looked like this by the time we got there. Some more spots on the roof as well.

Original owner

Ouch

30. 10-06-2010 02:11 AM #65
      Mine started at on the hood and roof with just a little hole on the roof. Guys check your hood and roofs for bubbles, they are tiny and hard to see sometimes but they are there the paint may look clean after you wash it but like there are bubbles there big time and all over the place, thats how it starts out.

31. 10-06-2010 02:53 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Patryk@DouglasVW View Post
      Im scared to ask...but what does it cost you guys to repaint the car?
      Pat as you have read prolly in my thread about my car it was $5800 and mine was one of the first cars fully done in the new water based systems that arent required till 2013 but my body guy decided to switch before doing my car. My car was also taken down to completely bare metal. Then all the little dents were taken out, the few that there were but my body guy and I are really anal and have attention to detail like no other. From there it was sprayed with epoxy primer and sanded starting with 600 and going all the way to 1500 to 2000 just for the primer, and from there it was sprayed with 4-5 coats of Tornado red, after that I wanted 7 coats of clear after some debate i ended up getting 5 coats of clear. Now take in mind while getting a full spay remind the shop they will have to buy a BRAND NEW R32 spoiler bc it must be broken into pieces to be able to get off. Also keep in mind for that price i also had the bumper filled, hood notched filled, emblem shaved, and a brand new hood, brand new R32 spoiler as well. All my jams were sanded and resprayed as well along with the inside of my fenders since i had them shaved and rolled. Keep in mind also that my car was done by the same person who did the car that has won H20i two times in a row now, the MK2 Red Jetta.

Full color change would have been around 9 to 12 grand. The red MK2 Jetta that won H20i last year and this year was in the shop around the same time my car was and i got to check it out first hand and he had more hours in the engine bay than my whole car and my car took about 3 months to get done.

Vehicles
      2011 S4 1991 E30 325is
      10-06-2010 11:43 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by 97audia4 View Post
      $5800
      Damn son. That's $2300 moar than the quote i got....
      The Wheel Lab
      Follow us on Facebook!

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      10-06-2010 11:58 AM #68
      There should be a T-Red gtg @ VWOA maybe then they will pay attention. Maybe call some media folks too.

34. Former Advertiser
      10-06-2010 12:32 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by 97audia4 View Post
      Pat as you have read prolly in my thread about my car it was $5800 .
      Well i guess if you are going to get it done, you might as well do it RIGHT

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      10-06-2010 12:50 PM #70
      I no longer own the car but here are some shots of mine to support the defect. I was the original owner (8/04-4/10), car had 98k miles, always stored in a garage except for 1 year. Waxed 6 times per year including claybar + heavy wax before every winter. Pictures are just before I sold it.

The car:

I miss my R.

Good luck,

Andy

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast