Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Squeal

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Sold my 2009 Tiguan when Intake manifold failed prior to recall. Screw you VW.
      08-06-2010 03:20 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by MaxedOutCredit View Post
      Update:
      Replaced all the brake pads with Akebono Euro Ceramic pads last week and have been squeak free since. Let's hope it stays this way. Besides being quiet, they give off low brake dust, have a nice brake feel and were reasonably priced ($130 after tax and shipping off Amazon).

Part number for the front EUR1107
      Part number for the rear EUR1348
      This is awesome info.

I think the Tig's stock pads are pretty darned great for OEM brakes. But there's no doubt that I always want the best braking I can get (well, within the realm of my budget of $500).

I do agree with the others that the squealing may have developed from the overly-light braking technique. Same thing happens on my wife's car. I've had to take the pads and rotors off in the past and scuff them up with sandpaper to fix it.

Let's hope the Akebono material is less prone to that behavior and you won't see a return of the squealing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtouareg View Post
      I know that my Touareg came with "organic pads" and its never had brakes that squeal. In my experience, brake pads with "metallic" compounds are more prone to squeal but they are more durable. The organic pads on Touaregs are twice the thickness of pads I've seen on other SUVs but only last about 25,000 miles.
      To my knowledge, few or even no cars ship with completely organic pads, nowadays. Semi-metallic (meaning metal flakes mixed in with the organic material) is the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtouareg View Post
      ...but only last about 25,000 miles.
      Not too surprising considering the mass of the T'reg. I have over 30k on my Tig's brakes and the dealer tells me there is more than half the pad life left.
      Last edited by chrishart1; 08-06-2010 at 03:22 PM.

2. 08-27-2010 10:32 AM #27
      bought my Certified Pre-Loved '09 Tiguan (15K miles) about two months ago, and have had the squealing noise coming from the brakes for the past month and a half (only in reverse). Loud enough to wake up the neighbors every morning backing out of my driveway (not cool / embarrassing). Has been in and out of my dealer's service dept. four times now. The first time they said everything checked out OK and they couldn't replicate the squeal. Second time, they scuffed the pads and chamfered the edges of the pads...made no difference. Third time I brought it in to fully replace all rotors and pads....appointment was scheduled two weeks in advance and when I brought it in, they didn't have the parts...awesome. Fourth time, had all rotors and pads replaced....so far so good, no squeal, but it's only been 24 hours.

BTW, rotors and pads being wear items, they were not warrantied, though VW Corporate (Customer Care) offered to pay for 60% of the cost (both parts and labor). If you're problem is similar, it may be worth a shot of voicing your concerns to Customer Care and they may offer assitance.

Sounds like this is a common problem (as my dealer has explained to me), though that doesn't solve the embarrassing problem or make it OK. If complaints to Corporate are just as common as the problem is, maybe they'll consider using different pads/rotors or consider a recall....maybe wishful thinking though.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Sold my 2009 Tiguan when Intake manifold failed prior to recall. Screw you VW.
      08-27-2010 11:38 AM #28
      I sometimes get this same brake sound while backing out of my driveway. It's usually when I have not driven the car for a few days, or when it was raining when I pulled in the garage. On a daily basis, it does not happen.

Good to hear the dealer went to all that trouble for you.

You're lucky about VW offering a partial reimbursement.

Remember to be hard on the brakes sometimes to help prevent this from happening again.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE
      09-17-2010 12:58 PM #29
      Most of the comments have been about squeal during low-speed and/or reversing; mine is only at highway speeds (50+) after rolling along for a few minutes, the tapping lightly - like slowing down a little for traffic. High-pitched squeal, goes away after 2-4 seconds or if I brake harder. Dealer has looked at it at 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 mile services, plus one in the middle - each time they have no suggestions, say there are no problems with the brakes. Of course, they never road test it to check it for five minutes at 55 or so. But it's there regardless. Still have OEM pads. There's no squealing any other time, but almost always in the situation described (except when wet). Right front only. Any suggestions?

Vehicles
      04.5 TR GLI, 10 Wolfsburg Tiguan, 03 Allroad
      09-17-2010 11:48 PM #30
      I find this thread pretty humorous.

Both my Jetta's (2004) and the Tig's brakes with squeal like Chewbacca when backing out of the garage in the morning, especially if it was humid or raining the night before.

Have you ever washed your car and noticed how the rotors get a rust glaze almost instantly? Right away, put the car in reverse and they'll most likely squeal too.

If this is really that big of a problem for you guys, buy a aftermarket set of pads and or rotors that are softer and dust like hell. You will probably prefer the sound of the squealing brakes in reverse in the morning more than the mass amount of dust that softer pads create.

To the guy that brought your car in 4 times for this... that's pretty ridiculous. I bet it will start happening again soon with OEM pads and rotors, and is probably related to your driving style more than anything else.

As mentioned a couple of times earlier, don't ride the brakes so much and do a little harder braking every once in a while to prevent the glazing which one of the main factors of the squeal. When you park the car wet.. there's almost no avoiding... Just learn to live with it, and love it. Squeal back it even.

6. 11-16-2010 06:09 PM #31
      If this is really that big of a problem for you guys, buy a aftermarket set of pads and or rotors that are softer and dust like hell. You will probably prefer the sound of the squealing brakes in reverse in the morning more than the mass amount of dust that softer pads create.
      Sorry to disagree, but the Akebono pads have been way quieter than stock and create practically zero dust. The rate of wear is seemingly slower than OEM too.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Audi 100CS, 2000 Passat GLX (RIP), 2011 Tiguan SEL 4M
      11-20-2010 10:53 AM #32
      My Tig is not even 3 months old and they squeal, but only in reverse.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Wolfsberg
      11-22-2010 09:46 AM #33
      2010 TIG, approx. 9000 miles

Brakes squeal(howl is more like it), only in reverse, and only after car has been sitting, and it has either rained, or is a very damp day.

Vehicles
      1989 1.3 VW Golf 2(GONE), 1999 1.6 VW Passat B5, 2009 2.0 TFSI Vw Tiguan
      11-26-2010 12:03 PM #34
      my 2010 tig squeals like hell when going slow, in reverse.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04 Mini Cooper S, 2011 SE Tiguan, 2002 E55 AMG
      11-26-2010 04:24 PM #35
      http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0448&ppt=C0069

Has always worked for me. Even with the aggressive pads on my DD/Track car.

Although the Tiguan doesn't squeal yet. But when it does.....

Vehicles
      Fiero GT Turbo, Kawasaki 750 Turbo, Tiguan Highline APR stage1
      11-26-2010 08:53 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by arnoldspurga View Post
      my 2010 tig squeals like hell when going slow, in reverse.
      Quote Originally Posted by prtlndblnd View Post
      My Tig is not even 3 months old and they squeal, but only in reverse.
      Movie... "Deliverance" LOL! Eh, where's Burt when you need him??
      Myke

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI DSG 4-door Sun/Nav
      02-28-2011 07:52 PM #37
      Hate to dig up an old thread, but my brakes squeal embarrassingly at slow speeds in traffic, in parking lots, taking corners, etc. I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'll be going the after-market pad route.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      02-28-2011 07:56 PM #38
      I just replaced the pads. I am confident they are the problem. The are too big and sing on the edge of the rotor. Then new pads are shade smaller. See my post form yesterday.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-03-2012 11:39 AM #39
      Anyone else getting low speed brake squeal (with cold pads and rotors) that goes away once warmed up?

Just resonance that will go away with anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads?

I had this on my MK5 GTI too...
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Top Gear UK project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

10-03-2012 01:11 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Anyone else getting low speed brake squeal (with cold pads and rotors) that goes away once warmed up?

Just resonance that will go away with anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads?

I had this on my MK5 GTI too...
      Yep, same here: a little squeal in the morning that goes away once warmed up.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      10-03-2012 06:59 PM #41
      VW put out a TSB about the problem. Apparently the friction material used on the original ones resonated at the wrong frequency causing the music. Solution was a new compound. Call the dealer and see if they will cover you.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      01-29-2013 07:15 AM #42
      I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife's 2011 Tiguan is having major brake noise problems.

Every morning, regardless of weather conditions, the brakes emit an ear piercingly loud screech when using them in reverse down the driveway.
      No other time does this happen.

Like others have mentioned, it's so loud it's honestly embarrassing.
      The whole block knows when my wife leaves for work!

I have a good relationship with our local VW service advisor, so I'll give him a call to see what/if VW will do about it.
      Understandably these are wear parts, but with only 20k miles on the car I would expect the brakes to be a little more civilized!

01-29-2013 09:18 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by DriveVW4Life View Post
      I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife's 2011 Tiguan is having major brake noise problems.

Every morning, regardless of weather conditions, the brakes emit an ear piercingly loud screech when using them in reverse down the driveway.
      No other time does this happen.

Like others have mentioned, it's so loud it's honestly embarrassing.
      The whole block knows when my wife leaves for work!

I have a good relationship with our local VW service advisor, so I'll give him a call to see what/if VW will do about it.
      Understandably these are wear parts, but with only 20k miles on the car I would expect the brakes to be a little more civilized!
      We have a 2012 and are only at 10K miles. The squeal is really annoying and I will ask about this the next time when I am at the dealer. If by any chance you get this done can you report back the TSB #?

Thanks.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Mk6 Golf TDI, VW Tiguan TSI
      12-10-2013 10:23 AM #44
      Digging up this old thread. Is there any TSB # for replacing/fixing the pads?

20. 12-13-2013 06:46 AM #45
      My '09 Tiguan has been to the dealership a couple times due to the squeal, and I was eventually told that I should call VW customer service. I gave them a call, described my problem, and after they called the dealership, called me back and offered me a 50% discount on a full pad replacement. That's just my experience though, however, I would definitely call VW and see what they can do. Good luck!

Vehicles
      '11 S4 6M, '12 Q7 TDI, 99 A4 1.8TQM
      12-13-2013 09:24 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by dm37280 View Post
      My '09 Tiguan has been to the dealership a couple times due to the squeal, and I was eventually told that I should call VW customer service. I gave them a call, described my problem, and after they called the dealership, called me back and offered me a 50% discount on a full pad replacement. That's just my experience though, however, I would definitely call VW and see what they can do. Good luck!
      They will then replace the factory TRW pads with the same pads and the squeal will return. Both of my Tiguans had/have this issue, but since my wife drives it, it's not high on my priority list. A decent ceramic pad, even store brand will fix this issue. Advance autoparts "gold" pads are ceramic and cheap, and will fix this.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-28-2013 04:38 AM #47
      I've also had this brake squeal issue and thought it to be too minor to mention but here's what I do. When in reverse, I step on the brakes hard at first squeal 2 or 3 times. doesn't eliminate it but lets my neighbors sleep more soundly. Next option works 100% only when I think of it: I back the car into the driveway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12