Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Squeal

Vehicles
      Fiero GT Turbo, Kawasaki 750 Turbo, Tiguan Highline APR stage1
      11-26-2010 08:53 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by arnoldspurga View Post
      my 2010 tig squeals like hell when going slow, in reverse.
      Quote Originally Posted by prtlndblnd View Post
      My Tig is not even 3 months old and they squeal, but only in reverse.
      Movie... "Deliverance" LOL! Eh, where's Burt when you need him??
      Myke

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI DSG 4-door Sun/Nav
      02-28-2011 07:52 PM #37
      Hate to dig up an old thread, but my brakes squeal embarrassingly at slow speeds in traffic, in parking lots, taking corners, etc. I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'll be going the after-market pad route.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      02-28-2011 07:56 PM #38
      I just replaced the pads. I am confident they are the problem. The are too big and sing on the edge of the rotor. Then new pads are shade smaller. See my post form yesterday.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-03-2012 11:39 AM #39
      Anyone else getting low speed brake squeal (with cold pads and rotors) that goes away once warmed up?

Just resonance that will go away with anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads?

I had this on my MK5 GTI too...
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

10-03-2012 01:11 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Anyone else getting low speed brake squeal (with cold pads and rotors) that goes away once warmed up?

Just resonance that will go away with anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads?

I had this on my MK5 GTI too...
      Yep, same here: a little squeal in the morning that goes away once warmed up.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      10-03-2012 06:59 PM #41
      VW put out a TSB about the problem. Apparently the friction material used on the original ones resonated at the wrong frequency causing the music. Solution was a new compound. Call the dealer and see if they will cover you.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Fahrvergnügen
      01-29-2013 07:15 AM #42
      I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife's 2011 Tiguan is having major brake noise problems.

Every morning, regardless of weather conditions, the brakes emit an ear piercingly loud screech when using them in reverse down the driveway.
      No other time does this happen.

Like others have mentioned, it's so loud it's honestly embarrassing.
      The whole block knows when my wife leaves for work!

I have a good relationship with our local VW service advisor, so I'll give him a call to see what/if VW will do about it.
      Understandably these are wear parts, but with only 20k miles on the car I would expect the brakes to be a little more civilized!

01-29-2013 09:18 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by DriveVW4Life View Post
      I thought I'd bump this thread because my wife's 2011 Tiguan is having major brake noise problems.

Every morning, regardless of weather conditions, the brakes emit an ear piercingly loud screech when using them in reverse down the driveway.
      No other time does this happen.

Like others have mentioned, it's so loud it's honestly embarrassing.
      The whole block knows when my wife leaves for work!

I have a good relationship with our local VW service advisor, so I'll give him a call to see what/if VW will do about it.
      Understandably these are wear parts, but with only 20k miles on the car I would expect the brakes to be a little more civilized!
      We have a 2012 and are only at 10K miles. The squeal is really annoying and I will ask about this the next time when I am at the dealer. If by any chance you get this done can you report back the TSB #?

Thanks.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Mk6 Golf TDI, VW Tiguan TSI
      12-10-2013 10:23 AM #44
      Digging up this old thread. Is there any TSB # for replacing/fixing the pads?

10. 12-13-2013 06:46 AM #45
      My '09 Tiguan has been to the dealership a couple times due to the squeal, and I was eventually told that I should call VW customer service. I gave them a call, described my problem, and after they called the dealership, called me back and offered me a 50% discount on a full pad replacement. That's just my experience though, however, I would definitely call VW and see what they can do. Good luck!

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE, 08 Silverado, 99 A4 1.8TQM
      12-13-2013 09:24 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by dm37280 View Post
      My '09 Tiguan has been to the dealership a couple times due to the squeal, and I was eventually told that I should call VW customer service. I gave them a call, described my problem, and after they called the dealership, called me back and offered me a 50% discount on a full pad replacement. That's just my experience though, however, I would definitely call VW and see what they can do. Good luck!
      They will then replace the factory TRW pads with the same pads and the squeal will return. Both of my Tiguans had/have this issue, but since my wife drives it, it's not high on my priority list. A decent ceramic pad, even store brand will fix this issue. Advance autoparts "gold" pads are ceramic and cheap, and will fix this.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-28-2013 04:38 AM #47
      I've also had this brake squeal issue and thought it to be too minor to mention but here's what I do. When in reverse, I step on the brakes hard at first squeal 2 or 3 times. doesn't eliminate it but lets my neighbors sleep more soundly. Next option works 100% only when I think of it: I back the car into the driveway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12