Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sunroof drain class action notice

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      05-11-2010 11:22 AM #1
      Anyone else get the notification of the sunroof drain class action lawsuit?

Proposed settlement:

1) Owners of effected cars: a new page for their manuals to tell them to have the dealer clean their sunroof and plenum drains at 40k miles or every 2 years.

2) To the 9 representative plaintiffs: $10,000 each plus the above.

3) To the lawyers: up to $30 million for attorneys' fees and up to approximately $1.5 million for reimbursement of costs and expenses.

2. 05-11-2010 11:34 AM #2
      I got it. DAMM I SHOULD HAVE BECOME AN ATTORNEY..

Vehicles
      '05 Treg V8, Campy White, '06 C4S Cobalt Blue, 6 sp., '11 GC Overland
      05-11-2010 11:44 AM #3
      Got mine yesterday. After I read the distribution of funds, I shredded it.

What a waste...

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      05-11-2010 12:09 PM #4
      You have got to be kidding me??? Who are the pussies who had to sue over sunroof drains? There are more important things going on in the world and to sue over this ---- infuriating???

This has got to be the dumbest G-D thing I've heard

Does anyone want to know why VW won't bring Park Assist to the United States? The douchebags behind this sunroof drain class-action are your answer.

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle, 2004 Touareg
      05-11-2010 01:21 PM #5
      Ya know,the least they could have done is given each of us a free dealer inspection and cleaning if necessary. I realize this is frivolous but it came this far I would expect more than a new page for my manual.

Vehicles
      2012 TDI Exec
      05-11-2010 02:26 PM #6
      Got it. Actually had the issue last month with water getting inside. Dealer did a great job fixing it. No need for a lawsuit…just get it fixed.
      2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Aluminum Pedal Covers | Warning Triangle | Euro Mats
      2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old)
      2006 Passat B6 Sport 1 (old)
      2003 Passat B5.5 V6 (old)

7. 05-11-2010 02:55 PM #7
      FYI,

I had this problem and it turns out to be a REAL problem due the the design decision to put the electronic modules below the rear floor board where they will be flooded by water coing into the cabin. Watch out for water / moisture on the driver's side rear passenger floor mat. Electronics and water do not mix. I had contacted VW at the first of the year about this and they acted like they had never heard of it in spite of many comments on the web to the contrary. Lost faith and trust in VW.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Phaeton, 2005 V8 Touareg
      05-11-2010 04:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Anyone else get the notification of the sunroof drain class action lawsuit?

Proposed settlement:

1) Owners of effected cars: a new page for their manuals to tell them to have the dealer clean their sunroof and plenum drains at 40k miles or every 2 years.

2) To the 9 representative plaintiffs: $10,000 each plus the above.

3) To the lawyers: up to $30 million for attorneys' fees and up to approximately $1.5 million for reimbursement of costs and expenses.
      I just received a notice from VW to inform me that sunroof drain inspection and cleaning is now a maintenance item. The notice was accompanied by an Owner's Manual insert that specified the first maintenance should occur at 40k miles. Subsequent inspections and cleaning are to occur every 40k miles or two years, whichever occurs first.

9. 05-12-2010 08:59 AM #9
      This is a miserable outcome, if one was to bring a lawsuit... Hardly worth it's time, except for the direct litigants. I rarely open my sunroof and park indoors, so this has never been an issue, but one would want litigation as a class action to have a more egalitarian outcome than a forgettable directive that defines common sense! Wow, you go America!

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      05-12-2010 11:10 AM #10
      Got mine today. Two separate documents, two separate addresses. Go figure.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      05-12-2010 11:50 AM #11
      So... as I read the paperwork... it cost VW 38-million dollars for this? Do you people realize that if VW didn't pay this out... it would have covered the cost of getting the V8TDI engine certified to bring to the U.S.

But hey... at least the low-lifes who brought this suit on got their pipes cleaned. A-holes!

12. 05-12-2010 12:57 PM #12
      I go it for my sold '04 and for my Audi S4!

13. 05-12-2010 03:59 PM #13
      does this mean i could bring my treg in at any time to get my roof drains cleaned and inspected?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Phaeton, 2005 V8 Touareg
      05-12-2010 09:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by raverhaze69 View Post
      does this mean i could bring my treg in at any time to get my roof drains cleaned and inspected?
      Yes but probably at your expense since it is a maintenance item just like an oil change.

Vehicles
      05-14-2010 10:19 AM #15
      I work with my cousin and we both have VWs. He has a Jetta (2002) and I a Touareg. We both received the lawsuit thing but we got different ones. His was less informative that mine. His still mentioned all the models affected but was at least half as forthcoming with details as the one that I got. All I could think of is two companies were contracted to fire these out. Does`nt seem the best way to do this,is all. Should`ve just tossed this out of court in the first place.

16. 05-14-2010 11:19 AM #16
      And you guys are surprised by this outcome? Class action lawsuits exist in this country, are decided every
      day. The lawyers are the ones who win time and again. If you don't like it, you should have gone to law
      school. Then the money could have been yours.

Vehicles
      05-14-2010 01:37 PM #17
      It`s not too late! I can still go to Law School.

Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDi (modified)
      05-15-2010 07:09 AM #18
      So why didn't VW address this issue years ago? How is the typical VW owner supposed to know to maintain this item without the service notice? It doesn't seem like an obvious maintenance item (to me). The first time that most owners would know to check their sunroof drains was after they were presented with a bill to repair water damage inside their vehicle.

By all means continue to bash the blood-sucking, Class Action lawyers all you want. But don't forget that there are lawyers and bean-counters on the other side of the issue doing the math, too. One reason that large corporations move to fix issues like this is when they believe the potential financial loss (direct and indirect) outweighs the cost of fixing the issue. VW may have gotten tagged here - but that's the risk.

Class Action lawsuits exist for a reason. And yes, the risk to society from failing to properly maintain VW sunroof drains is less than...oh say the risk from failing to properly maintain the battery on a blowout preventer. But, there were probably a number of VW customers that were staring at bills to fix water damage and all other similarly situated VW owners were unknowingly at risk.

In the interest of full disclosure, yes I'm a lawyer. And though I maintain my license, I retired from the business in the mid-90's.

19. 05-15-2010 03:56 PM #19
      I was under the impression that the plaintiff was the one who got the settlement and the attorney's got their 10%...

This settlement amount was ridiculous for this issue...

20. 05-15-2010 04:55 PM #20
      Ok--How do you check and clean these drains. Anyone know how to do it?

21. 05-16-2010 01:53 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by ufda View Post
      Ok--How do you check and clean these drains. Anyone know how to do it?
      Open sunroof all the way (slide open, not tilt open). Towards the front on each side there are (2) small drain holes. About 1/4" diameter. Visually check to see if they are clear of debris. Is yes, you're done. If no, remove debris. Done.

22. 05-16-2010 04:25 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by fatbuckel View Post
      It`s not too late! I can still go to Law School.
      Then do it! I was a court reporter instead. Not too shabby a job either! My daughter just graduated law school Friday. Now comes the fun to pay the bill!

Vehicles
      05-19-2010 01:47 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by leebo View Post
      So why didn't VW address this issue years ago? How is the typical VW owner supposed to know to maintain this item without the service notice? It doesn't seem like an obvious maintenance item (to me). The first time that most owners would know to check their sunroof drains was after they were presented with a bill to repair water damage inside their vehicle.

By all means continue to bash the blood-sucking, Class Action lawyers all you want. But don't forget that there are lawyers and bean-counters on the other side of the issue doing the math, too. One reason that large corporations move to fix issues like this is when they believe the potential financial loss (direct and indirect) outweighs the cost of fixing the issue. VW may have gotten tagged here - but that's the risk.

Class Action lawsuits exist for a reason. And yes, the risk to society from failing to properly maintain VW sunroof drains is less than...oh say the risk from failing to properly maintain the battery on a blowout preventer. But, there were probably a number of VW customers that were staring at bills to fix water damage and all other similarly situated VW owners were unknowingly at risk.

In the interest of full disclosure, yes I'm a lawyer. And though I maintain my license, I retired from the business in the mid-90's.
      Nice topical analogy!