Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 55 of 957 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast
    Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 23924

Thread: Purdue University

Vehicles
      '03 GTI 1.8T; '98 A4 Avant 2.8M; '97 A4 1.8T; '94 Miata; '85 Kaw 454LTD
      06-30-2003 12:22 PM #1351
      There's a local paper classified right now for a 1992 Yamaha "Senco" (my another model code they give, I think they mean "Seca"). In case you weren't familiar, the Seca II was a basic, air-cooled, quarter-faired 600cc standard that was generally a great starter bike with a little extra capability to grow into. Good versatile, comfortable all-arounder along the lines of a Bandit 600 or ZR-7.
      If I had the $1,200 to spend, I'd be calling about it. If you call or see it, mind filling me in on how it looked/rode?

2. 06-30-2003 02:09 PM #1352
      a friend's boyfriend up here is selling one. i've been thinking about it most of today and i'm probably going to wait till next summer to get a bike, but there's one on ebay that's located near me that i may check out... i figure if i buy a bike this summer i'll be very motivated next spring to get licensed and all the gear etc.

3. 06-30-2003 02:12 PM #1353
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

it's at $810. i have some thinking to do.

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 02:40 PM #1354
      If that GS550 is what they say, it's a steal at under $1K, and still a very solid buy at $1,200. The Seca II advertised locally is very, very much the same concept, but more stylistically up-to-date.
      Someday I'll have another bike -- dangerous (given how #$(*&% stupid and inattentive so many drivers are, as last Monday's fatality illustrates), but FUNNNNNNNN!

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      06-30-2003 03:11 PM #1355
      [QUOTE=perf311]
      [/QUOTE
      i use to own one...without the 1/4 on it tho. wasn't bad. mine was a different color and i paid $500 for it back in 91
      "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken..." T-Durden

6. 06-30-2003 03:18 PM #1356
      Quote, originally posted by OstTrefftWest »
      If that GS550 is what they say, it's a steal at under $1K, and still a very solid buy at $1,200. The Seca II advertised locally is very, very much the same concept, but more stylistically up-to-date.
      Someday I'll have another bike -- dangerous (given how #$(*&% stupid and inattentive so many drivers are, as last Monday's fatality illustrates), but FUNNNNNNNN!

what happened last monday? excuse the ignorance. i'm livin 220 miles away tho.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      06-30-2003 03:20 PM #1357
      here's a pick of my old POS...i actually think i only paid $400 now that i'm looking at her. might be wishful thinking(that i didn't get ripped off ).

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      06-30-2003 03:21 PM #1358
      i didn't read about it, but Cho told me that some lady cut a the guy off and killed him. not sure about the full story.

9. 06-30-2003 03:31 PM #1359
      Quote, originally posted by heysuperman »
      here's a pick of my old POS...i actually think i only paid $400 now that i'm looking at her. might be wishful thinking(that i didn't get ripped off ).

you don't ride anymore?

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 03:39 PM #1360
      i didn't read about it, but Cho told me that some lady cut a the guy off and killed him. not sure about the full story.

Yeah, 20 year old kid worked at Phoenix. He was riding along SR38 near the shop when a 49 year old lady in a T-Bird decided to make a right turn into her trailer park out of the left lane -- without even signaling her illegal maneuver -- and turned straight into his path. Dead on impact.
      There were rumors that the kid was speeding, and he definitely wasn't wearing a helmet. Still the lady's fault, but makes you wonder how different the outcome could have been if he'd been wearing the right gear.
      The bottom line I draw from it: Most drivers are so ignorant and inattentive it's pathetic, particularly where bikes are involved -- but that means that riders' own self-preservation unfortunately demands that they recognize said stupidity and ride all the more defensively (and dress all the more protectively) because of it. Still, the whole thing doesn't so much make me scared of bikes (I already have a healthy respect for/fear of them) as it deepens my contempt for the average putz driver.

11. 06-30-2003 03:44 PM #1361
      i should strap an airhorn to my leg when i ride.
      as many scary and "instant death on impact" stories as i've heard, the main reason i don't have a bike is because i'm not confident i can afford a jacket, helmet, boots, and gloves on top of the bike/insurance cost. i've been trying helmets on, and i'm going up to milwaukee county tonight to the best store in the area to try on more helmets. i woudn't be surprised if i left with one tonight. i've been searching for a jacket andi can't decide if it's lame to get a colored jacket or not. i can't find any all black jackets i like, but i don't wanna be some poser with a nicer jacket than bike (not literally, but still...). a buddy of mine has 2 bikes and we're gonna do some parking lot touring as soon as he gets them insured. i can't wait.

12. 06-30-2003 03:46 PM #1362
      can't decide if i want the colors or if it'll make me look like a total tool.
      front

back

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 03:47 PM #1363
      Quote, originally posted by perf311 »
      the main reason i don't have a bike is because i'm not confident i can afford a jacket, helmet, boots, and gloves on top of the bike/insurance cost. i've been trying helmets on, and i'm going up to milwaukee county tonight to the best store in the area to try on more helmets.

You are a smart, smart, responsible, clear-headed rider-to-be -- thinking through the rest of your gear beyond just the helmet. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] FWIW, I thought my old HJC CL-12 fullface was a great deal and quite comfortable, at least given the shape of my own noggin. (The CL-12 is Snell 95 certified, and only runs about $150 in solid colors.)

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 03:49 PM #1364
      Depends on the colors of the bike, I think. Check the back pages of cycle mags -- they list some promising stuff. Again, props for being one of entirely too few riders to really think about proper gear.

15. 06-30-2003 03:50 PM #1365
      the HJC i tried on was too tight on my fat cheeks. the main reason i'm in a semi-rush to get a helmet is cause i want to try to squeeze in an autox event or two this summer.
      you guys at work whoring like me, or at home? we should do this more often

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 03:53 PM #1366
      Work. Ten seconds here and there is harmless, though I've probably hit my limit for the day....

17. 06-30-2003 03:59 PM #1367
      ah, i've got 30 mins till i jet. such a nice day. gonna maybe golf instead of going to milwaukee. supposed to get hotter as the week goes on.

18. 06-30-2003 04:36 PM #1368
      Quote, originally posted by vw fiend »
      design classes! cool... i'm in cgt, transfer from design at osu

it's old as hell (page 2)
      but OSU sucks balls. glad you switched.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      06-30-2003 05:19 PM #1369
      i basically quit riding because of events like that. i quit my freshmen year in college. the 3 years i did ride i rode 95% of the time with a helmet and 90% of the time with leather and jeans too. but honestly i think that only gives you a false sense of security. i heard a lot of stories while i was taking an EMT course at home hospital which made me question riding but the final straw was a dream i had. quit riding the next day. 9 years later i think about it from time to time but now i'm not just living for myself. i have a child to look after and it's a luxury i can't afford.

Vehicles
      1966 Beetle, 1989 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2011 JSW
      06-30-2003 05:34 PM #1370
      ... i liked OSU. purdue is better though

Vehicles
      06-30-2003 11:09 PM #1371
      i basically quit riding because of events like that. i quit my freshmen year in college. the 3 years i did ride i rode 95% of the time with a helmet and 90% of the time with leather and jeans too. but honestly i think that only gives yo u a false sense of security.

Whether it's a false sense depends on how much you're kidding yourself. If/when I ever have my own bike again, I'll own proper riding boots (as opposed to my Doc Martens) and either leather lowers or riding jeans wit h Kevlar reinforcement, and probably a jacket with body armor. But even with all that, you have to realize there's still a risk of irreparable injury (and between typing and piano, I need my hands!), and have to weigh out the calculated risk. Wit h proper gear, I'll bet the permanent injury risk is about one in 50,000 rides -- but that one chance would likely be catastrophic. That's one reason I haven't jumped back on the bike bandwagon, and why even if I fall face-first in a puddle of money, I m ight just decide to supercharge the Miata....
      i heard a lot of stories while i was taking an EMT course at home hospital which made me question riding

One of my clients is a hardcore car enthusiast (and occasional Porsche-racer). I mentioned bikes to h im, and he said something to the effect of "please don't; I don't want to see you in an ER." Again, it makes you think -- even though DAMMITALL, they're fun!
      the final straw was a dream i had. quit riding the next day. 9 years later i think about it from time to time but now i'm not just living for myself.

Yeah, a dream like the one you had would kill the idea for me, too.
      i have a child to look after and it's a luxury i can't afford.

I know more than one former-rider family man who's reached the same conclusion. OTOH, my oen dad still occasionally daydreams about touring bikes (and has real dreams about midsize scooters like an Aprilia Cento50 150cc big-wheel step-thru scooter)....
      But on to happier topics -- how 'bout them VeeDub four-bangers? ('Specially the turbo ones....)

Modified by OstTrefftWest at 10:54 PM 6-30-2003

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      07-01-2003 10:25 AM #1372
      i daydream about saddling up sometimes..especially since the matrix reloaded came out.
      --------
      wanted one of these for a long time. anyone want to do this with me?
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=907142

23. 07-01-2003 10:47 AM #1373
      looks sweet, but on my leased car it's more work and money than it's worth. i'm content with my rieger illuminated knob and sub.
      i'd like to rant. i've had an amp for about a year now. if you care to read the background about the shady shop, reference "BACKGROUND" at the bottom of this post. anyways, against my better judgement, i bought this amp from this guy who runs this store. he told me it was a 400 watt RMS amp when bridged to one channel. the amp was called the 401B, so i assumed it was 400 watts. most companies that are worth a damn rate their subs at 4 ohms, and then if you want 2 ohms it's a bonus that you get more power. what i mean is, they'd call their amp the 401b, it'd push 400 watts rms AT 4 OHMS, and then maybe 650 at 2 ohms. not the case, i find out today. the amp pushes only 200 watts at 4 ohms, and i need to make it 2 G@DD@MN ohms, to make it push 400. all this summer i've been complaining that my sub is way too quiet for the 500 watts rms it can handle. now i find out why. it's only been runnin 200 watts. i can't wait to put in something good. i'm gonna take it back to the ****er, tell him i want to get $300 in a trade for something better, cause he ****ing lied to me. i've barely used the amp.. only used it this summer.
      either that or i'm gonna fry the amp, take it back to him under warranty, and tell him i just want to put the money towards something good.
      either that or i'm just gonna sell it for hopefully like $225, and not give that ****ing dirty bastard one more cent of my money or time. i don't think he'll go for either of the first two options.
      i'm pretty upset. i coulda had an awesome amp for less than $100 more that actually did do 500 watts rms. i just couldn't justify it at the time. (400 watts vs 500 watts isn't that much. you need to double the wattage just to get a 3db difference)
      anyways, that's my rant. on to the
      BACKGROUND:
      i had always heard shady things about this company. usually along the lines of- they'll do your install, find out some stuff about you, and then jack your **** back outta your car and re-sell it. while it doesn't seem impossible, i assumed it hadta be some bull**** and it's the only place in town that doesn't sell ****. so i go in, have a chat with the guy, learned some things that were actually true as i've come to find out in my experience, and leave with a ballpark range of amps i want. do some research, go back to him, and tell him what i want and what i want to spend. he then brings up another amp i'd never heard of, for a lot cheaper. while it wasn't what i wanted, he was being a ----- about the price, so i took the cheaper "400 watt" amp. he left the store to go to his house to get the amp (which was literally 10 feet away) and had one of his workers come in to make sure i didn't gank anything. i went over to the h/us and started playing with them, when i noticed somehting in the dark corner... what was it? golf clubs.
      used, but nice, golf clubs. there were about 4 or 5 bags there. now, if i were gonna break open someone's trunk to steal their audio stuff, and then found some nice clubs, why the hell wouldn't i take them too. shay-dee.
      the only explaination i could think of would be that someone having an install done forgot the clubs in the trunk, and so they put them inside (?) while they did the install. but for that to happen there hasta be a lotta stupidity on everyone's part. i dunno. long post. back to work.

24. 07-01-2003 12:16 PM #1374
      man
      i'm an idiot
      i was looking at the wrong specs for the wrong product. a-holes name their stuff the same thing except an s vs d.
      hehe. the douchebag still stole the golfclubs! but his sale was 2legit2quit

25. 07-01-2003 01:52 PM #1375
      damn. the 1.8T technical forum is filled with idiots. no wonder i don't go there anymore. time to find a new forum for my technical needs. what's good?
      18turbo.com? club18t.com?

Page 55 of 957 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast