Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 638 of 681 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648 ... LastLast
    Results 22,296 to 22,330 of 23831

Thread: Purdue University

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR, 2000 XJ beater, 2007 Snota
      05-06-2012 09:10 PM #22296
      ^ Yep, but it would only be a single stamp item, one stamp for the suppressor...since it is permanently attached it wouldn't be a SBR. It seems to me there was another company somewhere that had similar setups for far cheaper...RJF is always a bit high for what they sell
      Instagram: @farfromugen

“You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.”-HST

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      05-06-2012 10:11 PM #22297
      Quote Originally Posted by farfromugen View Post
      ^ Yep, but it would only be a single stamp item, one stamp for the suppressor...since it is permanently attached it wouldn't be a SBR. It seems to me there was another company somewhere that had similar setups for far cheaper...RJF is always a bit high for what they sell

any chance you remember the name? i'd rather not use RJF. also would this be a form 1 and i'm buying this as a whole i don't have to get it engraved right? i'm guessing i have to have it shipped to applied? am i just paying them the $25 to transfer it into my name? do i have to fill out any batf forms there or do i do all that on my own?
      "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken..." T-Durden

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 07:43 AM #22298
      It would be on a Form 4, no engraving since it is already produced by a manufacture (you only do Form 1 when it is a firearm you are building, hence the engraving as you become the manufacturer).

Applied charges $50 for a suppressor transfer, plus you will have to send out $200 to the ATF for your tax stamp. Stan will be able to walk you through the whole deal and provide you with the paperwork. They will send and transfer it to Stan (which can sometimes take some time), then you will fill out the Form 4 (signed off by LEO), $200, fingerprints, passport photos,and wait...waits are getting up there right now, close to a year from what I have heard. Once the paperwork comes back to Stan, you can be the proud new owner!

“You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.”-HST

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90
      05-07-2012 12:28 PM #22299
      damn...a year...now i'm thinking about a gun trust instead
      "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken..." T-Durden

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 07:49 AM #22300
      It not always a year, time will always vary, but they have been up to a year. The other thing you have to take into account is that once you pay, the manufacture will have to transfer it to the dealer (which requires filed forms to the ATF) and that adds time. Once the SOT/FFL gets it, then you will initiate the transfer to yourself.

A trust will not necessarily speed up the time, in fact it may slow it down if there are any small errors in how the trust was set up. The only real benefit of a trust is that you can have more than one authorized user on the item. Technically Jess could never touch or have access to my machine gun/suppressor unless I was with it...it was to remained locked up in the safe while she was home alone with it.

Rule #1 with anything Class 3, don't get overly excited, its all a waiting game

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 07:51 AM #22301
      Oh, and if you want to get an idea of how times are currently, check out this website: http://www.nfatracker.com/

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Turbo Regal, 1970 Dart 340, 1968 Buick Sport Wagon
      05-09-2012 04:48 PM #22302
      Anybody around the area need a new coil or 2 for a 1.8t motor? I have 2 brand new ones sitting here if you hear of anyone. Thanks
      Josh
      Butterface Racing
      Street cars run on pump gas even on race day....
      Doing it on pump gas still and forever.

Vehicles
      Many see sig...
      05-09-2012 11:33 PM #22303
      Quote Originally Posted by nastynavy View Post
      Anybody around the area need a new coil or 2 for a 1.8t motor? I have 2 brand new ones sitting here if you hear of anyone. Thanks
      If I get a 1.8t and then need a coil you'll be the first to know lol.
      "2 tone paint jobs are for wusses.. I rock 4 tone"

'96 Harlequin Golf 2.0-8v, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth 1.4t-16v, '91 Jetta GLi 2.0-16v, '90 Passat GL 2.0-16v
      '70 Dart Swinger 340-4v, '70 Chevy C-10 250-1v, '91 Ninja 600R

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      05-12-2012 10:49 AM #22304

Our high-quality local roads claimed one of the 20" wheels on Aimee's Cadillac...so she's rocking a sweet donut until Monday. I think that's Sharpie on the rim (I haven't seen it in person yet), but you can see the crack extending across the face of the wheel.

It amazes me just how bad they'll let roads get around here before they bother to do anything about them!

It's hard to say where it happened; I'm going to say either Wabash Avenue or 52; I'm actually almost scared to take my Jeep on either road, although now that they finally fixed the tracks on Wabash, it's marginally passable. (honestly, those tracks, pre-repair, are the most likely culprit...)
      Last edited by blue70beetle; 05-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Vehicles
      mk6 Diesel tampon
      05-12-2012 10:52 PM #22305
      Brutal! man!

Anyone got any leads on vw diesel engines and trans?
      FS: Happich Replacement seals

**WTB: G60 or lysholm chargers** **WTB:mk6 TDI Turbo upgrade** **WTB: mk6 power folding mirrors**

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 08:48 PM #22306

Guess what I'm doing tonight...

Apparently I've taken quite a liking to beers with ridiculous hop levels.

Vehicles
      '03 GTI 1.8T; '97 A4 1.8T; '94 Miata; '85 Kaw 454LTD
      05-15-2012 08:57 PM #22307
      Quote Originally Posted by blue70beetle View Post

Guess what I'm doing tonight...

Apparently I've taken quite a liking to beers with ridiculous hop levels.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-15-2012 09:17 PM #22308
      welp, i've converted:

sold my mk3 (well, later this month when the new owner takes it) and made the trek to NJ to pick up this machine a couple weeks ago. has a euro switch, flapper mod, and e-codes, all from the original owner with full service history and 70k miles upon delivery.

I AM EXCITE.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      mk6 Diesel tampon
      05-15-2012 09:26 PM #22309
      so we should all hang out and drink the beer you have made

**WTB: G60 or lysholm chargers** **WTB:mk6 TDI Turbo upgrade** **WTB: mk6 power folding mirrors**

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 10:27 PM #22310
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      I AM EXCITE.
      I are jealousy — you scored!

Also, got the A4 aligned today after The Great Foxtrot-Led Sixteen-Hour Suspension Rebuild Project™ on Saturday. Drives like a million bucks, except for a little brake squeal on the passenger side (which is, of course, the one *I* reassembled; Bill's side is fine).

For the record, Foxtrot is da man. Troof.

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 10:50 PM #22311
      Quote Originally Posted by LO-vw View Post
      so we should all hang out and drink the beer you have made
      I'll be happy to bring some to a GTG sometime. The batch going on tonight is a high gravity beer, so it's not going to be ready until the middle of July (although when it is, it's going to be about 8% ABV ). The only other beer I have right now is a Phat Tire (Fat Tire clone), and I've promised the remaining bottles to a very good friend in Indy who happens to have a soft spot for Fat Tire, although I have to say that in my completely biased opinion, mine's better than the real deal.

I'm not the only homebrewer on here, though...and the other guy should be able to fill some growlers and bring them to a GTG if necessary, because he's set up for that.

Vehicles
      Many see sig...
      05-15-2012 11:15 PM #22312
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      welp, i've converted:

sold my mk3 (well, later this month when the new owner takes it) and made the trek to NJ to pick up this machine a couple weeks ago. has a euro switch, flapper mod, and e-codes, all from the original owner with full service history and 70k miles upon delivery.

I AM EXCITE.
      Don't think I've ever seen one with a plate tub up front before... Is that molded into the bumper?

'96 Harlequin Golf 2.0-8v, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth 1.4t-16v, '91 Jetta GLi 2.0-16v, '90 Passat GL 2.0-16v

18. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-16-2012 01:01 AM #22313
      thanks guys! been quite the search the past few years/months.

unfortunately, that front plate mount is attached to the bumper with four screws. i haven't taken it off yet to see what it looks like with out it, but i probably will this weekend. if the holes are small, then i'll probably leave it off.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 07:43 AM #22314
      So I am going to ask some opinions on here guys...I'm knotted up inside and really feeling awful this morning:

Obviously most of you know where I work and what I do. I also think most of you know that I observe Jewish law in the religion I've practiced upon marriage for the last 8 years. As most of you may also know, this means no work on the Sabbath, sundown Friday through sundown Saturday, same as all Jews, Seventh Day Adventists, and about another 6 dozen religions out there. Upon applying to my job, and in scoring the tests/interviews etc. I have always been upfront about this (as I have been with my past employers for 8+ years). In fact, I filled it out on the original application when asked for availability.

Problem is this...things do not get communicated well between upper management in such a large facility. When I first started in my permanent position in the area I was assigned, and when it became relevant, I again was upfront with my supervisor about this situation. Keep in mind it is only in dire situations that a mandatory Sabbath breaking Saturday is required, not an every week type thing. Now when it was brought up to my supervisor he in return said he would need to speak to his boss to see what would have to be done. The proposal was returned to me that I would be able to call off as long as I found a replacement (which requires me finding someone that knows my area and does NOT have to work a mandatory Saturday that day), other wise I would be written up verbally the first time, then snowball it into a situation that would eventually find me terminated. I could go into details on how that works, but that is the simplest way to put it. I went along with it for about the first 4 of these we have had since I started.

This brings me to my current situation. Because of several things, we a re required this Saturday to work...this time, there are really no open employees that can work for me. That means this week I will be verbally 'written up' if I do not show. Obviously I do not feel comfortable with working, so I have no real choice . Being written up means you cannot bid to another position, be promoted, get a raise, and like mentioned above means you will start a process that can, and in my case will lead to termination come another mandatory Saturday I can't work.

So what should I do? I can't afford to loose this job, I'm a good worker, I get the occasional compliment on what I do, but I cannot live like this. I've been halfway to tears all night with the stress of knowing what can happen. I love every other aspect of the job. I've sat through meetings about harassment and 'protected classes', I listened to HR during my orientation talk about how they make exceptions for religious beliefs, and I KNOW our company sells to Jewish clients. Should I talk to HR? Hire an attorney? Am I setting myself up by doing any of these things? I've never been in such a religious hostile environment and I don't know what to do... I really don't want to work somewhere that doesn't want me, I HATE being the exception, and I don't want people to feel forced to keep me employed...I just want understanding.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 08:36 AM #22315
      I'm surprised that with such a strong "diversity and inclusion" culture this has become an issue. I hope you're able to work through it. As far as decent manufacturing positions, I'm sure other employers in the area would be even more difficult to work with on this - I'm quite sure that at the last two places I've worked someone in this situation would have been told they would have a job as long as they last in the point system, so I guess it's a nice gesture they're making to at least let you find someone to fill in, even if it's proving to be little help.

Whether it's right or wrong, I'm not sure what kind of accommodations it should be expected that they would make based on religion - if you were of the religious persuasion to face east for prayers several times a day, would that be permitted on the line, or would this be viewed as an excessive interruption of work? It's difficult to accommodate everyone, even when they do have a legitimate request that just happens to not be mainstream for this particular area. It's not like you went and cooked up your own new religion for the sake of getting out of work.

Probably start with HR, I would think. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Just out of curiosity, what do Jewish doctors, firefighters, police officers, etc., do in such a situation? I'm sure there are many across the country who have jobs that require them to work on the sabbath.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 03:00 PM #22316
      I can't speak for all Sabbath observers, but as far as everyone I know, go to church with, and as well as any Jews I know, they all do not work Saturday. It is considered a sin, akin to murder or any other of the ten commandments. I cannot imagine any of them working.

The thing is that the guys I work with all know and understand, they know I don't eat pork, they buy cheese pizza when they bring in pizza, they make little jabs at me every once and a while for fun...its understood where I'm coming from. I doubt any of them have a problem with me missing a Saturday a few times a year. The other thing is I absolutely take it seriously, its hard as heck to keep the Sabbath and work third shift. It knocks out the only day off I have to accomplish anything; I don't do yard work, work on my car, go shopping, pay bills etc. on Saturday.

I will also say that it has been the only place that has given me any sort of a hard time over the Sabbath, all my previous employers (with the exception of a few nasty comments being made by my last manager) have made the exception from the get go and said little about from then on out. Of course I would have given up any of those places in a heartbeat had it become an issue.

"It's difficult to accommodate everyone"

Well, this is true, but, while I hate being a standout (I don't even like asking Burger King to hold the mayo) I'm not everyone. I would LOVE to work a Friday night/Saturday morning in order to make overtime and not be a wrench in the works. We consistently have one or two guys off for a night, we've worked through a night with five guys off before and things operated just fine. Funny thing is, the HR lady during orientation even mentioned accommodating folks presently employed with an empty office they could go to at certain points of the day to keep their religious beliefs. Maybe its just a building A thing, guess that stuff goes out the window when you walk into the shop...
      Last edited by farfromugen; 05-16-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 05:09 PM #22317
      Also, note this is copied from the company website as a policy statement:

"Prohibited harassment may consist of unwelcome conduct, whether verbal, physical, or visual, that is based on a person’s sex, color, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, disability or handicap, covered veteran status, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected group status. Harassment may include conduct, comments, gestures, pictures or teasing that belittles or shows hostility toward an individual because of her/his protected status. Sexual harassment, for example, may include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, obscene language or gestures, joking, displaying obscene materials, patting, pinching or brushing against a person and other physical, verbal or visual conduct based on a person’s sex.

This policy prohibits all behavior and conduct when: 1) submission to the conduct is an explicit or implicit term or condition of employment; 2) submission to or rejection of the conduct is used as a basis for an employment decision or adversely affects an individual’s job benefits; or 3) the conduct has the purpose or end result of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment."

Seeing that after the first incident is a write up which prevents the normal bi-annual raise or step in income, as well as prevents me from bidding on any other position within the facility, would number 2 not apply?

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 05:19 PM #22318
      Also, from the EEOC:

"The law requires an employer or other covered entity to reasonably accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs or practices, unless doing so would cause more than a minimal burden on the operations of the employer's business. This means an employer may be required to make reasonable adjustments to the work environment that will allow an employee to practice his or her religion.

Examples of some common religious accommodations include flexible scheduling, voluntary shift substitutions or swaps, job reassignments, and modifications to workplace policies or practices."

One could argue the importance of my presence, but I would consider it minimal burden since we regularly operate with more then one absence without any incident (we generally are overstaffed by 3-4 people and also have a line "floater" that goes where needed). I also have volunteered for work during Christmas shut down (since I do not celebrate) and also have offered to work on Sundays (though our area never has Sunday work).

Vehicles
      mk6 Diesel tampon
      05-16-2012 09:40 PM #22319
      I'll be happy to bring some to a GTG sometime. The batch going on tonight is a high gravity beer, so it's not going to be ready until the middle of July (although when it is, it's going to be about 8% ABV ). The only other beer I have right now is a Phat Tire (Fat Tire clone), and I've promised the remaining bottles to a very good friend in Indy who happens to have a soft spot for Fat Tire, although I have to say that in my completely biased opinion, mine's better than the real deal.

I'm not the only homebrewer on here, though...and the other guy should be able to fill some growlers and bring them to a GTG if necessary, because he's set up for that.

Wait so you make a lot of beer at a time? not just your small 6 pack at a time? Filling growlers up seems like you have a bad ass setup.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 10:10 PM #22320

A normal batch for any home brewer is 5 gallons. I pitched the yeast about an hour ago, so it hasn't really taken off just yet.

Apparently Aimee's car is a magnet for road hazards...

She's on her way back from Indy, and I suspect she hit a retread from a semi. She says there are no fluid leaks, so hopefully that reinforcement isn't hanging low enough to drag...otherwise I have to go on a rescue mission.

Going to have to pay a visit to Denny's...if there's a bright side, since the car came from Ohio, it had a plate tub screwed to the bumper (which used to have a Keller Williams plate on it)...since the bumper cover is destroyed, she will just have a clean, smooth bumper when it's finished...

Vehicles
      Many see sig...
      05-16-2012 11:30 PM #22321
      I don't know how to help you Eric. It would seem to me that if they told you they would be accommodating upon hiring and the went back on it, you have a legitimate complaint. I would start with HR. It seems to me that they have a company policy that says they should make allowances for your beliefs.

The flip side of the coin is if mandatory occasional overtime is a condition of employment (as it was for me at Donnelley's) they have a reasonable expectation of you to come in when they "need" you. I do know that Donnelley's would not be accommodating in this manner.

From my personal perspective (which is all I have to go by). I wouild be reluctant. But then again, RRD managment is known for retaliation upon "perceived" trouble makers, so all us peons know better than to paint the target... plus combine that with the whole employment at will state thing here in Indiana.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-17-2012 03:13 AM #22322
      that sucks eric.

like suggested, i would definitely speak to HR. i know with my company, that sort "punishment" for religious reasons would not be tolerated, and they would respect you - at least that what i was fed during orientation - no real experience or observation of it yet.

however, i would also offer an alternative as to maybe working sundays to make up for it or extra time during the week. it would suck at the time, but at least it might be able to allow you to be off on saturdays, and show you are willing to compromise.

i hope it works out for you man.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 09:04 AM #22323
      Update on the car and the beer...I have a good, strong fermentation going as of this morning (and the little bit that I sampled last night is VERY hoppy). Jason, you ever have trouble hitting the O.G. that is called out? I am consistently low, and I've checked it with two different hygrometers. I'm at 1.050 and this is supposed to be 1.090 - it's a pretty high-gravity beer.

And it wasn't a retread, but it did come from a semi. It was a BRAKE DRUM!!! The wheel / tire flew over top of her car (luckily) and slammed into the Menards building in Lebanon, making enough noise that they called the police. The good news is the truck / driver's insurance will be on the hook for the repair. At a minimum, it will need a bumper cover painted and installed, and I'm not sure what all goes behind it. I think the condenser was unscathed, but there may be some slight damage to the fans on the front of it.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 11:30 PM #22324
      Eric, I haven't weighed in on your question because I feel like I should have some special expertise in it, but I actually don't. I think a respectful chat with HR (or whoever is one step above who you've been dealing with) might help. The downside is that my gut tells me that allowing you to line up your own Sabbath substitute might be enough to be considered a "reasonable accommodation" and be enough for legal compliance. OTOH, that company policy you quoted is worded pretty doggoned broadly, so you might be prepared to gently do some selected quoting of it if you start feeling any management pushback....

Aaron, I've gotten sloppy about checking gravity — on simple little "session" batches, I rarely check; and the last couple I did I checked with my refractometer instead of a hydrometer, and discovered that either I'd really screwed up, or else my refractometer is totally unreliable. My first few batches, though, hit the target OG and FG just fine.

I'm now REALLY overdue to check gravity on the lager I started back in January-ish (and that I've kept sitting at a steady 58°F ever since), in hopes that it may be about ready to keg and carbonate.... (For anyone wondering, my 5-gallon batches of homebrew go into 5-gallon kegs for serving; I serve my own draft beer, at least when I've had a chance to brew enough to have something on tap!)

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 07:48 AM #22325
      Thanks Jason, I appreciate the suggestions, they follow the pattern I'm thinking out too. Fortunately, they canceled this Saturday, but they moved it to the following weekend, so I'm not out of the woods yet. I had a chance to mention some stuff to my supervisors and he promised me a sit down. I have a lot of time and money vested into this job, I take it seriously, and as far as I'm concerned I'll retire from there. There are enough possibilities in the shop and the cleaner building next door that I really have no need to quit or go somewhere else. I can't however stay somewhere I have to worry about having a job every time a Saturday comes up in conversation...

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 10:03 PM #22326
      Estimate came in on the Cadillac repair...almost $2800!!! Front bumper cover (paint and install), some stuff behind the bumper, and the condenser.

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 11:01 PM #22327
      Estimate came in on the Cadillac repair...almost $2800!!! Front bumper cover (paint and install), some stuff behind the bumper, and the condenser.
      Egad!

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 11:10 PM #22328
      Yeah, I was figuring it would be closer to $1,500. I didn't think the condenser took a hit (looked like the fans had some damage), but I'm glad it's getting replaced now, rather than finding out there's a small leak 6 months from now and being on the hook for a $600 A/C repair.

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 11:07 PM #22329
      For anyone daily-shopping (hint, hint), how 'bout an overall pretty doggoned clean facelift B5 A4 Avant 1.8TQM for $3,500? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-(Milwaukee-WI)

Vehicles
      mk6 Diesel tampon
      05-19-2012 11:09 PM #22330
      damn crazy good luck it hit the bumper and didnt bounce and hit the windshield!!

My mom was driving around detroit (thats where I am from) and a semi kicked up a piece of cement bout half a football size.
      It blew through the windshield took out the rear view mirror, bounced off the passenger seat dented the dash and landed in the passenger foot well....

Could of easily taken out my mom while she was driving.

So all this beer talk sounds like we need a brew battle taste off

Page 638 of 681 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648 ... LastLast