Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Thread: evap purge valve

    1. Member BigJ389's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2008
      Location
      Brownsville Tx
      Posts
      239
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf///2006 jetta
      05-13-2010 12:47 PM #1
      anyone know where my evap purge valve is? My problem is that I got my car scanned and it showed a large evap leak, i already replaced my gas cap and some vacuum hoses, i was told to check my evap purge valve or the pcv valve, is this correct? Also the purge valve, can i just clean that out or it has to be replaced? I know the older vr6 had the egr valve and you could clean out the gunk, is the purge valve like that? TY in advance

    2. Member Das Borgen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2008
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      8,078
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      05-13-2010 12:52 PM #2
      should be right on your passenger shock tower in the engine bay. right underneath the airbox. Its line goes to the PCV intake boot
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2001
      Location
      Oakland, CA
      Posts
      4,443
      05-13-2010 01:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BigJ389 View Post
      anyone know where my evap purge valve is? My problem is that I got my car scanned and it showed a large evap leak, i already replaced my gas cap and some vacuum hoses, i was told to check my evap purge valve or the pcv valve, is this correct? Also the purge valve, can i just clean that out or it has to be replaced? I know the older vr6 had the egr valve and you could clean out the gunk, is the purge valve like that? TY in advance
      If you truly have a leak, the EVAP purge valve is probably not the source. It's more likely to be a leak in one of the hoses leading to the charcoal canister (one of which goes to the purge valve). And you can't clean the purge valve; if it's faulty (like mine was), you must replace it.
      Kenji

    4. Member BigJ389's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2008
      Location
      Brownsville Tx
      Posts
      239
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf///2006 jetta
      05-13-2010 02:11 PM #4
      ok well i found the evap purge valve and inspected the hoses going to the canister, didnt see any hoses that might have any tear, but one of them i did notice slight cuts but nothing major to where its cut all the way down, its only the top layer but thats about it

    5. Member Das Borgen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2008
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      8,078
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      05-13-2010 02:29 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BigJ389 View Post
      ok well i found the evap purge valve and inspected the hoses going to the canister, didnt see any hoses that might have any tear, but one of them i did notice slight cuts but nothing major to where its cut all the way down, its only the top layer but thats about it
      you're welcome?
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

    6. Member BigJ389's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2008
      Location
      Brownsville Tx
      Posts
      239
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf///2006 jetta
      05-13-2010 04:07 PM #6
      ha sorry thank you

    7. Member BigJ389's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2008
      Location
      Brownsville Tx
      Posts
      239
      Vehicles
      1987 Golf///2006 jetta
      05-13-2010 10:48 PM #7
      hey also tomorrow ill be taking out the charcoal canister, how do i go about cleaning that out if it does have too much buildup in it?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •