Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2003 Passat 1.8t Timing Belt Tensioner

Vehicles
      2003 B5.5 1.8T
      05-17-2010 03:24 PM #1
      I'm in the process of doing a timing belt change. I am replacing the timing belt tensioner while I'm at it. I need a little clarity on in. The tensioner pulley is just a pulley, correct? The actual tension is applied by the pin it's self when installed - type 3. So when I install the pulley, it should rotate freely and only be limited by the little bracket that restricts it from a full rotation. Is this correct? Also, should I use any type of "locktite" on any of the bolts during the installation of all major components, or feel confident at tightening to the correct torque?
      Last edited by deutscher_b5; 05-17-2010 at 03:38 PM.
      Deutsche automobile setzen den standard beim ingenieurwesen und entwurf. Treiben sie einen Ford, wenn sie diese mangeln.

2. Awaiting Email Confirmation Andromeda451's Avatar
      Vehicles
      92 GLi16V, '03 20V Passat 1.8T, '01 Golf, '73 Thing
      05-17-2010 03:52 PM #2
      Mr. D,

This is the AWM 20V Turbo engine so replace the coolant pump as it's driven by the timing belt and is best replaced as a preventive measure. The idler should rotate freely and after install adjusted per the bentley manual. Adjustment is tricky as the directions aren't very clear. Be careful and check the adjustment a few times as a jumped belt on this engine is a bad thing... I did not use thread locker on my AWM when I did the jo b, just followed torque requirements.

Good Luck.
      Last edited by Andromeda451; 05-17-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: accuracy

Vehicles
      2003 B5.5 1.8T
      05-17-2010 03:58 PM #3
      Andromeda, the engine code is AWM, so yes. I was thinking of using the "blue loctite" as a precautionary measure in my maintenance. I purchased a new coolant pump as well as a few other items that were offered in a kit through ECS. I am going to move forward with the installation. Thank you for your input!
      Deutsche automobile setzen den standard beim ingenieurwesen und entwurf. Treiben sie einen Ford, wenn sie diese mangeln.