Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY Timing belt change Passat B5.5 - Great pics and advice

Vehicles
      2003 B5.5 1.8T
      05-17-2010 03:49 PM #1
      I am currently in the process of doing a timing belt change as well as replacing the water pump and associated items that are recommended for this type of maintenance. I've read several different write-ups, which have all been very helpful. I decided to take, an almost step-by-step, picture log while doing this. Putting the radiator in service position was a real time saver for one. I'm more than willing to pass on the pictures and whatever info you need at your request. I'm actually very surprised how straight forward this procedure was. As long as you are very patient and meticulous when taking on this, you should have no problem. I'm currently held up on one issue, which I have posted a separate thread to. Although I'm sure that I'm correct, I want to make sure - there is no issue of pride here, I rather ask than to make a mistake and pay several hundred dollars for this. Thanks everyone for your informative and detailed write-ups. I hope I can return the favor in the future!

Last edited by deutscher_b5; 05-17-2010 at 08:59 PM.
      Deutsche automobile setzen den standard beim ingenieurwesen und entwurf. Treiben sie einen Ford, wenn sie diese mangeln.

Vehicles
      2010 Passat TSI Wagon, 2005 Passat TDI Sedan, 1999 VW Passat V6 GLS
      04-16-2011 11:27 AM #2
      Hello Deutscher,
      I am in the process of having to change the timing belt on my 2005 TDI. I would be happy to receive a copy of the photos you took when you did the exchange. Could you e-mail me a link please?
      Thanaks in advance,
      Paul Jensen
      paul.n.jensen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by deutscher_b5 View Post
      I am currently in the process of doing a timing belt change as well as replacing the water pump and associated items that are recommended for this type of maintenance. I've read several different write-ups, which have all been very helpful. I decided to take, an almost step-by-step, picture log while doing this. Putting the radiator in service position was a real time saver for one. I'm more than willing to pass on the pictures and whatever info you need at your request. I'm actually very surprised how straight forward this procedure was. As long as you are very patient and meticulous when taking on this, you should have no problem. I'm currently held up on one issue, which I have posted a separate thread to. Although I'm sure that I'm correct, I want to make sure - there is no issue of pride here, I rather ask than to make a mistake and pay several hundred dollars for this. Thanks everyone for your informative and detailed write-ups. I hope I can return the favor in the future!

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat 1.8T FWD
      08-20-2011 12:31 PM #3
      I know this is an old post... but any chance you still have the pictures and/or a writeup? It's proving hard to find something reliable for the b5.5...

I've got an 03 1.8T, and Id appreciate anything you can provide!