Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Holset user thread

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      09-25-2010 10:55 AM #141
      Quintin what gtg are you going to I want to see your car?

For compounding setups I think the ideal setup is your small turbo should be 2/3s to 3/4 of the large turbo

2. Banned
      Vehicles
      E PLURIBUS UNUM
      09-25-2010 10:58 AM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by KubotaPowered View Post
      How are you controlling the vanes in the turbo or are they open all the time?
      that is being done via tricking it..... i was given suggestions based on direction another guy pointed to me.

a spring and lever on the actuator. low boost, the spring tension overcomes the vanes keeping them closed. when it gets higher up, the pressure overcomes the spring tension and opens up. kind of tunable by spring tension, sort of, as well as spring position on the arm.

he said it works great......

Vehicles
      09-25-2010 06:07 PM #143
      That's pretty interesting because the most current trend is using a 14b actuator to control the vanes and a tial 38mm to control max boost.

Cranium you should slap a hx52 on your audi so all the garrett nut swingers will shut up

4. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      09-25-2010 06:08 PM #144
      I'd be willing to rent mine out.

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      E PLURIBUS UNUM
      09-25-2010 06:22 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      That's pretty interesting because the most current trend is using a 14b actuator to control the vanes and a tial 38mm to control max boost.

Cranium you should slap a hx52 on your audi so all the garrett nut swingers will shut up
      i am super new to Holset stuff, have not played with anything yet. did look into a controller for the VGT but its bucks.... whats a 14b actuator? i saw locally a HE351VGT. but i dunno what one that is or if its what Derek put on his Audi....

my car right now has a Bullseye S366XL, and its plenty good i think..... trying to lift the front right tire on a launch even with AWD.... that run i went thru 3rd gear and lifted @ 1000 foot and coasted to finish. ran 10.6 @ 121 LOL with 1.59 60'. and the launch threw the car semi sideways. didnt fully straighten out and get back in the groove til the shift into 3rd.

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      09-25-2010 11:30 PM #146
      holy launch
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      09-28-2010 12:53 PM #147
      Hey guys, a few questions. I'm trying to get the miscellaneous parts for my hx35w that I don't have. Let me know if this is right:

1) oil feed

2) oil return flange (does anyone know if that will come with the bolts?)

3) oil return gasket

4) Do I need an oil restrictor for a 12v VR? Do I feed the oil from the oil filter housing? Where can I get the oil restrictor from, if I do need it, or what size / specs?

5) How long does the feed line need to be? How long does the discharge line need to be?

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      09-28-2010 12:59 PM #148
      *edit*

just saw the part about the oil drains not being big enough. so what are people doing to correct for this?

9. Former Advertiser Quintin@R.A.I.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 MK4 2.0 Jetta....dont sleep ;)
      09-28-2010 01:00 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by obdONE View Post
      Hey guys, a few questions. I'm trying to get the miscellaneous parts for my hx35w that I don't have. Let me know if this is right:

1) oil feed

3) oil return gasket

4) Do I need an oil restrictor for a 12v VR? Do I feed the oil from the oil filter housing? Where can I get the oil restrictor from, if I do need it, or what size / specs?

5) How long does the feed line need to be? How long does the discharge line need to be?
      oil return you can use a standard garrett t3/t4 return flange available everywhere.

oil feed= m12x1.5 ...go to a hydraulic shop that goes from m12 to 1/4npt and then an adapter that goes from 1/4npt to -4 JIC/AN (thats what i did)

you may/maynot need a restrictor. One hx35 i had didnt...then next one did.

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      09-28-2010 01:20 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by Quintin@R.A.I. View Post
      oil return you can use a standard garrett t3/t4 return flange available everywhere.
      so you haven't noticed a problem with the return hole diameter being too small? It says 3/4" minimum. The -10 AN T3 returns are 1/2"...

oil feed= m12x1.5 ...go to a hydraulic shop that goes from m12 to 1/4npt and then an adapter that goes from 1/4npt to -4 JIC/AN (thats what i did)
      This one won't work? oil feed it's m12x1.5 on one end, -4 AN on the other.

How will I determine if I need one or not? My 12v operates at about 3 bar oil pressure. So that's about 300kpa? On the first page it says between 250kpa and 500 kpa, so I should be good?

also, the text in blue in my posts are links to the products I'm talking about.
      Last edited by obdONE; 09-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.

10-01-2010 11:48 AM #151
      in for info.... looking for a Hx52 for the R
      Instagram- @websaabn

12. Former Advertiser Quintin@R.A.I.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-01-2010 12:18 PM #152
      so you haven't noticed a problem with the return hole diameter being too small? It says 3/4" minimum. The -10 AN T3 returns are 1/2"...

How will I determine if I need one or not? My 12v operates at about 3 bar oil pressure. So that's about 300kpa? On the first page it says between 250kpa and 500 kpa, so I should be good?

no i haven't noticed problems with the smaller return. And of course that one feed fitting would work. And your oil pressure will be much higher than that at WOT...if you start smoking or noticing oil in your boost piping you probably need a restrictor.

Vehicles
      10-01-2010 06:05 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Cranium View Post
      i am super new to Holset stuff, have not played with anything yet. did look into a controller for the VGT but its bucks.... whats a 14b actuator? i saw locally a HE351VGT. but i dunno what one that is or if its what Derek put on his Audi....

my car right now has a Bullseye S366XL, and its plenty good i think..... trying to lift the front right tire on a launch even with AWD.... that run i went thru 3rd gear and lifted @ 1000 foot and coasted to finish. ran 10.6 @ 121 LOL with 1.59 60'. and the launch threw the car semi sideways. didnt fully straighten out and get back in the groove til the shift into 3rd.

That controller from Fleece Performance is big bucks, not worth it imho becuase you can accomplish 95% of what it can do using a mechanical setup, and may be more reliable/easier maintainability in the long run on a DD

Cranium the 14b actuator is off the 1g eclipse, I believe it has a wierd bent rod but you can look it up on google images. Here is a thread that explains it a bit better http://http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/v...c.php?f=25&t=4. The user Aero is on here as well once and a grand while and on other multiple turbo forums. I think what he did was gut out the holset controller, and on there is an arm that moves the vanes. He welded a pin onto the arm and put the eyelet from the actuator over it and used manifold pressure to control it, so that the vanes were pushed out at no boost and where pulled in at higher boost levels.

The 14b actuator may not be the only solution though, I suppose other wg actuators with different psi settings could be used to dial in or make a boost curve how you want it, or just use a MBC

He was seeing positive manifold pressure at a low rpm, like gt28 or ko4 style boost curve. Ultimately to limit boost though he had to use a Tial because boost just kept going up (20+psi at 4k rpm iirc)

Here is another thread using the stock Holset controller using Arduino http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f7/hols...61/index5.html
      and another one on here http://http://www.realhomemadeturbo....?topic=10007.0
      If your sensitive to politically incorrect talk then dont go to the last site/link.

I just want to see you run a Holset to prove the naysayers wrong. Your the only one here on the vortex making big power and your car would be the perfect test bed to do so. A Hx52 would not be a bad place to start or even bigger.

1) oil feed

3) oil return gasket

You can get the adapter filtting from extreme or Summit. I got mine from summit. For the drain setup I used a cummins drain tube, cut and slid (forced really) a -16 russell pro classic hose on it. Clamped the **** out of it too. I could probably hang myself from the drain line and it still wont come off. You could also weld a -16an bung onto a cummins drain tube/flange if you wanted to use AN fitings. Not sure what bolts hold the drain fitting on, but you can just as easily bring your CHRA to lowes or home depot and figure it out.

Dont plan on running the drain between the pan and the axle like the Kinetics VRT kit. You need to have a nice sweeping arc. Dont use the BFI pan either, the bung placement is a ****ing joke and a 1/2npt is too small. My drain runs under the axle. A friend of mine gave me his brand new BFI, and besides the ****ing useless small 1/2npt bung with female threads. Once you get a 1/2npt to -10an adapter Im sure the internal diameter of the drain tube is going to be a lot less than 1/2". Got under the car and determined the bung needed to be welded another inch or so over to the drivers side. Just make sure when the bung gets welded you take into consideration the pan bolts too.

I bought a 3 foot section of Russell Proflex -16an, steel -16an weld bung, and a straight -16an fitting from Summit, maybe spent 80 bucks. My feed line is an ebay special @ 36". On a vr maybe 40" max. The 44" from ATP is long enough to run around your engine bay imho.

The internal diameter of a -10 an hose is too small in my opinion. On my hx30 I'm running a -4an with the adapter and a -16an return, no restrictor. For the few minutes the car has run, no smoke. My opinion is if you have no restrictor but a huge return you will be ok.

Feed the oil from the OFH. Russell makes an inline -4an male/female fitting with a 1/8th npt port on it to screw in a guage. Just make sure the guage is after the restrictor so you know what pressures you are running
      Here is the link to the adapterhttp://www.summitracing.com/search/D...N/?Ns=Rank|Asc
      Last edited by Dave926; 10-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Vehicles
      10-01-2010 06:11 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by websaabn View Post
      in for info.... looking for a Hx52 for the R
      Hx52 is a big bastard, unless your looking for over 650 whp I would suggest a hx40, and since your car has a pretty bulletproof driveline (compared to my 020 lol) why not got with a hx35/40 hybrid.

Supposedly they hit like a ton of bricks and Im sure you can get a good spool with that combo.

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      E PLURIBUS UNUM
      10-01-2010 07:23 PM #155
      thanks for the info Dave....

my Friend Derek is actually using a 351HE VGT or whatever now, he gutted the box and uses a spring. it holds the vanes closed until it spins too fast, overcoming spring tension. its pretty neat, and it works for simplicity.

he is tryin to talk me into a V6 largeport 30v motor with another of these VGT holset turbos. it would be in a rabbit and RWD, too. making it that much more fun

here are a couple of his pix. his is Audi 20v 5cyl.

Quote Originally Posted by derracuda
      mwuhahaha, VGT is now functional 8)

(hint, watch the video with good speakers for the bass note in the exhaust when the vanes are open )

I have two of these turbos, and i butchered one actuator assembly to come up with this concoction. Aaron found a thread on some other forum of a guy using just a spring to hold the vane assembly closed, and the backpressure opens it automatically. The electric motor is geared down through two gears to give it torque over the actuator arm, I ended up ditching one gear and modifying the main one(which rides in two bearings in the actuator housing) with a throttle linkage from a mercedes.

original arm with plastic bushing molded in

knocked out the holset magnet that's used for locating the gear so i could put a bolt through that hole. these gears are hardened something tough!

collar for one last measure of keeping it on there

i've been pretty busy otherwise and still haven't had a chance to figure out my computer communications problems, but the good news is, the range where this thing runs... it RUNS! the turbo spools hard! i'm still blown away for 15psi of boost

16. Banned
      Vehicles
      E PLURIBUS UNUM
      10-01-2010 07:32 PM #156
      forgot pix

Vehicles
      10-01-2010 08:03 PM #157
      Thats pretty clever of a setup I must say.

Do his vanes open all the way? Thats the only reason I would run a wg actuator over the springs. Springs would be much better otherwise IMHO

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      10-02-2010 11:09 AM #158
      thanks dave and quintin for the info.

I have the oil feed adapter that came with my VF kit on the car now. I'm pretty sure it's a -4an and it has ports for my oil pressure gauges, etc. so I'm assuming that will be good for the turbo feed as well. I got the 4' line from ATP with a 90* fitting on one end and a straight on the other.

I went ahead and bought the oil return fitting that extreme psi sells, which is a -10an. I figure I'll start there and see what happens. I also bought a 45* adapter for the oil pan. I figured that would let it drain a bit more smoothly into the pan. We'll see what happens there. I am assuming that it will not be sufficient and will have to try something else...

If I do need a restrictor, which one should i get? Or are they all the same? I don't really know anything about them.

In other news, the turbo was delivered Friday, and everything else should be here by tuesday, so i should have a good start on the install by the weekend.

thanks for everyone's help.

Vehicles
      10-02-2010 11:48 AM #159
      consider running a non w/g housing.

keep the sc, why not compund it for **** and giggles and see what happens

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      10-02-2010 11:08 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      consider running a non w/g housing.

keep the sc, why not compund it for **** and giggles and see what happens
      The internal wg is welded, so I will be running an external turbonetics. If I have problems, I will consider changing the turbine housing, but I haven't heard anyone reporting problems with a welded internal yet.

I sold the sc already. It's a v9 anyways, so it would have caused more problems than any possible benefits.

My buddy is building an ABA 16v with a lysholm and a 3076r, so I can get my twin charged fix from him without me having to deal with the crap storm it will lead to.

Vehicles
      10-03-2010 11:59 AM #161
      The welded wg isn't the issue, just that if you were going use the internal wg you might have boost creep issues. Other wise you should be fine.

22. Member
      10-03-2010 05:44 PM #162
      that is soooo ****ing dirty richard !

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      E PLURIBUS UNUM
      10-03-2010 06:01 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by optiks View Post
      that is soooo ****ing dirty richard !
      my car is the maroon one trying to pull a wheelie....

my friends car is the Zermatt silver with the hot I-5 and Holset. his car with all the pix of the actuator arm stuff....

he just dropped this off last night, wants us to do a big VGT Holset on this with RWD in my rabbit. anythings possible here....

24. Member
      10-03-2010 06:41 PM #164
      you live on another planet man

25. Member
      Vehicles
      95 urS6, 92 golf, 84 rabbit, 09 hypermotard, corrados
      10-04-2010 12:49 PM #165
      what turbo on the silver audi?
      dyno plot please?
      Cleary Coachworks

I hate red cars

26. 10-04-2010 02:44 PM #166
      holset testing original and ebay copys see vid

http://www.holsetaftermarket.com/aft...%20genuine.php

Vehicles
      10-04-2010 05:42 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Cranium View Post
      my car is the maroon one trying to pull a wheelie....

my friends car is the Zermatt silver with the hot I-5 and Holset. his car with all the pix of the actuator arm stuff....

he just dropped this off last night, wants us to do a big VGT Holset on this with RWD in my rabbit. anythings possible here....

Could probably get away with running some s4 parts on it as well, just dont do any mis shifting

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      10-04-2010 07:34 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by magner View Post
      holset testing original and ebay copys see vid

http://www.holsetaftermarket.com/aft...%20genuine.php
      haha, holy sh_t. those fakies really blew up.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      10-05-2010 12:10 PM #169
      dayum! it did blow up! wtf
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      10-06-2010 03:24 PM #170
      got back in to town last night and was finally able to take a look at this turbo. It has minimal side/side and in/out shaft play. Overall seems to be in good condition. The waste gate was welded up nicely:

31. Former Advertiser Quintin@R.A.I.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-06-2010 03:38 PM #171
      remove the silencer ring in the inlet!

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      10-06-2010 03:48 PM #172
      remove the silencer ring in the inlet!
      I may as well. There's not going to be a single aspect of this setup that's "quiet". 3" turbo-back with a 5" vibrant race muffler, no cat, side dump...

I'm going to have to leave the house before my son goes to sleep at night and push the car back into the driveway when I get home. gonna be nasty.

Vehicles
      10-10-2010 08:14 PM #173
      Finally got mine to run right today, took it down the road a few times too. Felt pretty good. I have to advance the timing some because it feels a bit laggy. No wheelspin in first.

34. Former Advertiser Quintin@R.A.I.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-10-2010 08:19 PM #174
      also guys if you dont plan on running a divided t3 setup...do yourselves a favor and port it to match a regular T3 gasket.

Vehicles
      10-10-2010 10:44 PM #175
      Kinda wished I thought of that before I put my hx30 on. Its an open housing but I m sure some porting would have helped.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast