Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vehicle Speed Sensor vs. Speedometer Sending Unit vs......

1. 05-22-2010 10:35 AM #1
      I'm using GermanAutoParts' terminology here, though I've heard these referred to by different things elsewhere. My speedometer in my '03 Jetta 2.0L Auto acts up sometimes, the needle going all over the place. I've read up on the problem and people seem to agree that it's the "vehicle speed sensor." When I look for that part, I get several options. If you look here at GermanAutoParts, for example, you'll see a Speedometer Sending Unit, a Vehicle Speed Sensor, and a Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor. Which should I be aiming for? Thanks much.

Dan

Vehicles
      2000/Jetta/VR6
      05-22-2010 02:06 PM #2
      Aim for the transmission Vehicle speed sensor, seems to be the cause of this problem in the majority of these cases

3. 05-22-2010 02:11 PM #3
      Thanks for the reply. The folks at the dealership suggested that I go with the speedometer sending unit so I bought one. We'll see what happens, but I CAN'T FIND IT!

Can someone please tell me where to locate this part. I'm going nuts. Again, it's a 2003 2.0L automatic.

Dan

4. 05-22-2010 02:17 PM #4
      Ugh. Okay, I finally found it hiding under a silver shield. Let's get it replaced...

Dan

5. 05-23-2010 01:41 PM #5
      Damn, that didn't work. The needle still fluctuates. Rarely, but it does it.

So I should try for the "transmission vehicle speed sensor" next, then?

Dan

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta 2.0
      02-21-2011 11:55 PM #6
      did the Transmission vehicle speed sensor replacement work?