Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 49

    Thread: Car towed and crushed with Grandpa inside

    1. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 02:20 PM #1
      Wausau, Wi (WSAU) Shawn Leslie says he's considering a lawsuit, but that won't get what he lost back. Leslie says when he went to pick up his car it was gone. He had been keeping the ashes of his father and grandfather inside, but the car had been towed and crushed for scrap.

      Leslie says he had permission of the owner to leave the car in the parking lot of an apartment building while he was out of town. Property manager Ray Burris says Leslie did not have the owners permission. Burris called police last March saying the car had been left there for six to nine months.

      Then, instead of waiting for the police to take action, he reportedly called and had the car towed. It was crushed one day later. There is no word on why Leslie was keeping the cremated remains in the car.



      http://www.wsau.com/news/articles/20...-remains-case/

    2. Member Fe2O3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2009
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      3,180
      Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      05-22-2010 02:25 PM #2
      Misleading thread title is misleading.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

    3. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 02:29 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      Misleading thread title is misleading.
      He was in there! Dad too!

    4. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,485
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-22-2010 02:30 PM #4
      Nothing says important sentimental value like leaving it in an abandoned car.....
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    5. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 02:32 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Nothing says important sentimental value like leaving it in an abandoned car.....
      Maybe that's how dad and pops would have wanted it?

    6. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2003
      Location
      SoPo, Maine
      Posts
      39,321
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      05-22-2010 02:34 PM #6
      What kind of car was it, is what I want to know...


      Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

    7. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 02:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      What kind of car was it, is what I want to know...
      1994 Cougar, baby! This is not the actual car.


    8. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      63,485
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-22-2010 02:50 PM #8
      FWIW- this is the only part of the story that seems... questionable.


      Then, instead of waiting for the police to take action, he reportedly called and had the car towed. It was crushed one day later.
      You can have a car towed and crushed one day later without getting the police involved?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    9. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 02:54 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      FWIW- this is the only part of the story that seems... questionable.




      You can have a car towed and crushed one day later without getting the police involved?


      In WI, they are supposed to contact the owner before crushing the car. They didn't do that according to a different source..

    10. Banned 1SICKLEX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2001
      Location
      ____________________
      Posts
      20,046
      Vehicles
      Beige hybrid fancy Toyota and other fancy dumb Toyotas
      05-22-2010 02:57 PM #10

    11. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      13,222
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-22-2010 02:59 PM #11
      At least they finally got a decent burial.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

    12. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 03:05 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      At least they finally got a decent burial.

      Crushed into scrap metal and likely bought by China and refined into cheap parts?

    13. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      13,222
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-22-2010 03:10 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      Crushed into scrap metal and likely bought by China and refined into cheap parts?
      Better than a parking lot at a run-down apartment complex!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

    14. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 03:24 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Better than a parking lot at a run-down apartment complex!

      possibly. hard to say for sure.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2009
      Location
      Taranna.
      Posts
      4,694
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      05-22-2010 03:42 PM #15
      I found a another story that says this guy drives a truck for a living, and that he was parking his car in a lot behind a diner while he was out of town, driving his truck.

      wtf..... Doesn't the guy have a place to live??


      http://www.todaysthv.com/news/ksink/...05140&catid=70

    16. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2010 03:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      I found a another story that says this guy drives a truck for a living, and that he was parking his car in a lot behind a diner while he was out of town, driving his truck.

      wtf..... Doesn't the guy have a place to live??


      http://www.todaysthv.com/news/ksink/...05140&catid=70
      He might not. Some struggling truck drivers live in their trucks since they are on the road most of the time. When they are "home" for a few days, they rent a cheap room.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2009
      Location
      Taranna.
      Posts
      4,694
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      05-22-2010 04:02 PM #17
      Yeah, true. Still, A car-sized storage unit at U-Haul shouldn't run more than $100/month and it's about 10,000x safer than leaving it in some guy's parking lot.

    18. Member mike_A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2008
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      510
      Vehicles
      04 TL 6MT, 06 Ridgeline, 81 Mercedes SL
      05-22-2010 04:57 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Yeah, true. Still, A car-sized storage unit at U-Haul shouldn't run more than $100/month and it's about 10,000x safer than leaving it in some guy's parking lot.
      Well if the car was left for 9 months already, lets assume he was going to leave it for another 9 months. Would you leave it somewhere for free or pay someone $1800 to store it?

      You're an idiot. And U-Haul storage is about as secure as an apartment parking lot. Or even less.

      My co-workers and I each drive about 60k miles per year parking in hundreds of hotels and neighborhoods all around the country. I know of 2 break-ins last year. One was at the Holiday-Inn in Rochester, NY (airport location) and the other was at a U-Haul indoor storage facility in Dallas, TX.

      So out of the thousands of places we have parked overnight half of the break-ins were at U-Haul storage. Do you want to re-think your 10,000 number? Probably more like "1/1000 as safe" not "10,000 times safer".
      Last edited by mike_A3; 05-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.

    19. Member mike_A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2008
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      510
      Vehicles
      04 TL 6MT, 06 Ridgeline, 81 Mercedes SL
      05-22-2010 05:08 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      I found a another story that says this guy drives a truck for a living, and that he was parking his car in a lot behind a diner while he was out of town, driving his truck.

      wtf..... Doesn't the guy have a place to live??


      http://www.todaysthv.com/news/ksink/...05140&catid=70
      You obviously don't know anyone who works on the road. An engineer I work with is based out of Denver. He bought a home in Denver a couple years ago, payments probably $1500/mo. In the first calendar year he owned the home he stayed in his home as much as possible with his travel for work. Seven nights.

      It is sooo hard to live on the road buddy. A power-plant in the middle of nowhere takes 1000 people to build, and 12 people to run once its built, where do you think the 1000 construction guys go? To the next power plant somewhere really really far away.

      Next time you're in a chain bar/restaurant like TGI FRIDAYS or OUTBACK, take a look at the bar. See that one well-dressed guy just chillin' alone at happy-hour? That guy is working on the road, and he wishes could go home if he even has one.

    20. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-24-2010 09:01 AM #20
      Update:

      Car With Cremated Remains Illegally Towed and Destroyed. The Wausau towing company that towed and destroyed a car that had cremated remains inside did not have the legal right to do so, according to Wausau Police.


      No criminal charges are being filed. However, this will likely be a civil law suit. How much is the loss of cremated remains worth? We shall see. I'm guessing it will be a lot more than a 94 Cougar.

      http://www.wsaw.com/news/headlines/9...4.html?ref=444

    21. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,302
      05-24-2010 09:07 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      How much is the loss of cremated remains worth?
      $5/pound....dependent upon the age, gender, and race of the cremated. This is also assuming they were not famous.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    22. Member a1veedubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2004
      Location
      Stuart & Pleasant Hill Iowa
      Posts
      2,750
      Vehicles
      Too Many
      05-24-2010 09:28 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by mike_A3 View Post
      Well if the car was left for 9 months already, lets assume he was going to leave it for another 9 months. Would you leave it somewhere for free or pay someone $1800 to store it?

      You're an idiot. And U-Haul storage is about as secure as an apartment parking lot. Or even less.

      My co-workers and I each drive about 60k miles per year parking in hundreds of hotels and neighborhoods all around the country. I know of 2 break-ins last year. One was at the Holiday-Inn in Rochester, NY (airport location) and the other was at a U-Haul indoor storage facility in Dallas, TX.

      So out of the thousands of places we have parked overnight half of the break-ins were at U-Haul storage. Do you want to re-think your 10,000 number? Probably more like "1/1000 as safe" not "10,000 times safer".
      Parking different places overnight is hardly the same thing as leaving a car somewhere for 6-9 months.
      Matt K

      Motorcade of Mediocrity!

    23. Member InSaNeBoY's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Topsham, ME
      Posts
      2,027
      Vehicles
      VW
      05-24-2010 09:55 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
      Parking different places overnight is hardly the same thing as leaving a car somewhere for 6-9 months.
      69 months!?
      ClubDub is back!!!
      2003 VW Passat Wagon
      2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDi

    24. Member Massive Appeal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2009
      Location
      Queens Ny
      Posts
      1,077
      05-24-2010 10:09 AM #24
      wait...he was already dead. who cares
      Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
      Low post count and recent join date scares me a bit

    25. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      22,231
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '69 VW Fastback and an '08 Fit
      05-24-2010 10:09 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      possibly. hard to say for sure.


      "Perhaps he'll be reconstituted into a child's trycycle" (Paraphrasing)

    26. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,007
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-24-2010 10:16 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      Update:

      Car With Cremated Remains Illegally Towed and Destroyed. The Wausau towing company that towed and destroyed a car that had cremated remains inside did not have the legal right to do so, according to Wausau Police.


      No criminal charges are being filed. However, this will likely be a civil law suit. How much is the loss of cremated remains worth? We shall see. I'm guessing it will be a lot more than a 94 Cougar.

      http://www.wsaw.com/news/headlines/9...4.html?ref=444
      this is great.....God Bless America......this idiot is going to get "rich" over his own laziness.....no matter how rough my life is, I could not fathom leaving my parents remains in a car parked behind a business for.....9 months at at time.

      Granted crushing of the car was wrong and he should be compensated for this. Does anyone take responsibility for their actions (or lack their of) in this country anymore?!?!?!!?
      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    27. Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2004
      Posts
      5,868
      Vehicles
      '11 M3/'05 MCS/ '11 1198 DUC
      05-24-2010 10:31 AM #27
      Sue them! These tow companies urn a lot annually. They can afford it.

    28. Banned sirswank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2003
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      7,046
      Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      05-24-2010 10:46 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
      These tow companies urn a lot

    29. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,982
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      05-24-2010 10:55 AM #29
      Dead Grandpa aside, I find it hard to believe that the towing company would tow and crush a car in such a short period of time without trying to contact anyone.

      A lot of the towing companies are borderline criminals anyway, so I'm not sure I'm going to side with anyone on this.

      Obviously it was stupid to leave the car there for that long, but I don't think they should be able to just crush a car without attempting to let the owner know.

    30. Geriatric Member SSLByron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      36,936
      Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      05-24-2010 11:08 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      Crushed into scrap metal and likely bought by China and refined into cheap parts?
      Shanghai Green is people!.

      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

    31. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-24-2010 11:10 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post

      Obviously it was stupid to leave the car there for that long, but I don't think they should be able to just crush a car without attempting to let the owner know.

      In WI, they are required to contact the owner before crushing the car. The cops determined the car was crushed improperly, but no criminal charges were issued.
      Last edited by Der Schaltwerks; 05-24-2010 at 11:12 AM.

    32. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,982
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      05-24-2010 11:12 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      In WI, they are required to contact the owner before crushing the car. The cops determined the car was crushed improperly, but face no criminal charges.
      Well, that's BS then. If I go out and completely destroy someone's car, is that Ok with WI police?

    33. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,139
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-24-2010 11:15 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      Well, that's BS then. If I go out and completely destroy someone's car, is that Ok with WI police?

      I'm guessing the tow company is well connected with the local PD.

    34. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,262
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-24-2010 11:20 AM #34
      "Dad always said he'd junk that car over his dead body..."

    35. 05-24-2010 11:27 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by InSaNeBoY View Post
      69 months!?

      Thanks Skipper.

      My local mini storage place charges $20 a month for out door storage. It is as "secure" as you could hope to find for $20 ( rural setting).

      When I was a kid, my dad was on the road for 2 years straight. ( sales) He managed to make it home for around 15-20 days ( not counting the days where he was driving by and stopped to visit for a bit).

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •