Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Generic Build Thread

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-24-2010 09:45 PM #1
      Now that I've started making progress I figured I'd start a build thread to help keep me moving.
      After an accident, and too much rust killed my '92 last spring I started looking for a project. Originally I wanted a rust free shell to swap over my good parts into. Last September I came across a Dragon Green '94 in pretty rough shape. It had a couple of good points though. It was local, the engine and transmission were in great shape, and it was (supposed to be) rust free.
      I'd always wanted a '94, and I was looking for a project. So despite the safety orange painted intake manifold, the ghetto false floor where the rear seats should be, and a ridiculous number of Porsche stickers I brought it home.

Here's the one semi Good pic.

As for the rest they definitely belong in the weird Corrado thread...

Why?

The Passat Moonroof has been sealed shut with clear silicone.

Most of the interior is Trash, the moonroof is trash, the paint is half original, half the worst respray I've ever seen. The dash center bezel is in about four pieces, both bumpers are junk. When I pulled the rear bumper I found hidden damage. I could go on, but I wanted a project, and that's exactly what I got.
      Anyway,
      I finished parting my '92 and got rid of the shell about two months ago. Since then I've picked a local body shop to do the paint and body work, and hoarded a lot of parts. Last weekend I finally started tearing into it. I've got the engine on the hoist ready to come out as soon as I pick up some bolts to attach it to my engine stand, and drop the last two bolts in the front crossmember.

Plans are an almost complete restoration, fix all the dings and dents, new paint, all new suspension components, new brakes, exhaust, re-skinned interior, all the normal wear parts on the drive train, wheels, and a few small upgrades.
      The engine will stay mostly stock for now due to $ It's got a fresh MKIV head gasket, and runs/sounds perfect, so I'll just pull it, clean it up, and replace the chains/guides, the entire cooling system, a new power steering pump, etc...
      The transmission shifts great, so for now I'll just clean it up, new clutch, new gear oil, and put it back in. I've got a spare O2A I'm going to rebuild with an LSD later.

The time line will be fairly long. I'm hoping to be done by next March or so, but I'm not in any hurry. I just want it to be done right. I've got about half the parts I need, with most of the expensive stuff still to go. I just finished saving up for the paint and bodywork, so as soon as I get it stripped down to a shell It's off to the body shop.

Here are some pics of the parts collection.

Exhaust

Complete Euro belt setup.

New factory grille with emblem, E-codes with autolevelers + switch and harness. Euro steering wheel, new center dash bezel, new roof trim strips, MKIII trunk popper setup, all black interior plastics, clear sidemarkers, BFI engine mounts, R32 control arm bushings.

Black door pockets, center gauges, Hvac controls. etc... etc...

I've got lots of plans, nothing too radical. Hopefully I get to them all.
      Last edited by NoCYet; 06-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Vehicles
      VSR, TDI
      05-24-2010 10:24 PM #2
      Good luck with it. Are you keeping it the same Dragon Green?

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-24-2010 10:35 PM #3
      Good luck bro..

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro S-Line
      05-24-2010 10:39 PM #4
      Love the thread title.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, 2001 Audi S4, 2013 CC
      05-25-2010 12:30 AM #5
      Good luck, I'll be watching.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-25-2010 05:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by iAco
      Good luck with it. Are you keeping it the same Dragon Green?
      Nope If it were in better shape all around I would keep it for originalities sake, but since the bad paint has to come off anyway, I'm changing the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogger
      Love the thread title.
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      05-25-2010 09:54 PM #7
      the rear shave job for the corrado emblem looks fantastic.... WTF were they thinking with just filling it with bondo?
      SPOONFEDTUNING - For all of your carbon fiber Corrado needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Is society really getting dumber or is it just this forum?

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      05-26-2010 10:34 AM #8
      Bondo and Porsche stickers should be banned in the U.S... Or at least require certification. Jesus christ.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      05-26-2010 12:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      Bondo and Porsche stickers should be banned in the U.S... Or at least require certification. Jesus christ.
      I am theburninator and I support this message
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-26-2010 12:21 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      HA!

The best part was when I pulled the wheels off for the first time. Each brake caliper has a tiny little Porsche sticker right in the center.
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-31-2010 08:43 PM #11
      Small update.
      In the last week, I got the engine and transmission out despite the rear engine mount being fused to the bracket, and a few other surprises. Today I got most of the interior out including the dash. I discovered someone cut the plug off of the center gauge harness, and connected it into their A pillar gauge pod wiring with butt connectors, so that will have to be sorted out, along with the hacked, and spliced speaker wiring they used to rig a pair of Alpine tweeters with some sort of capacitor in the dash speaker locations.
      The steering fluid came out black. So I'm considering replacing the rack just for peace of mind. The pump I knew was on it's way out, so that is getting replaced as well.
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel....87 16V Scirocco...87 8v Gti..93 vr6 Corrado
      06-01-2010 11:40 AM #12
      I bought factory vw pwr steering fluid and it was black.

06-01-2010 11:50 AM #13
      I like the directions your taking

Vehicles
      99.5 B5 A4 Casa White, 09 Jetta, 99 Cabrio (92 Corrado)
      06-01-2010 02:43 PM #14
      Family First

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      06-01-2010 03:26 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ajhvw93 View Post
      I bought factory vw pwr steering fluid and it was black.
      It's supposed to be green.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeerado
      I like the directions your taking
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      92 Corrado 07 Mercedes e350 04 Touareg
      06-30-2010 07:52 AM #16
      Do work son! Get this thing lookin right.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      06-30-2010 08:47 AM #17
      I'm making good progress, (for me!) and I'm almost ready for an update. I've held off because I think everyone here has seen a Corrado being stripped plenty of times!

Vehicles
      06-30-2010 09:03 AM #18
      Ya I hear ya man, that's why I waited so long to put my thread up. No one cares about what it used to look like, they look fresh shiney pics. haha. I'll keep my eye out for the updates for sure though.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      07-23-2010 01:47 PM #19
      Time for a quick update!

I've gotten the Car about 95% stripped. All that is left to deal with are the windows, parts of the wiring harness, the suspension, and parts of the exhaust. I also have to figure out how to get the mirrors off, and apart.
      I decided to completely rehab, and reinstall the suspension before It goes to the body shop. I don't want to have to deal with taking any rusty stuff apart after paint. So far she's been fighting me every step off the way. despite the fact that I hosed down every fastener with PB blaster, and let them sit for a few days, before doing it again, I've broken a LOT of bolts. The real fun came when I tried to separate the tie rod ends, and ball joints. I basically destroyed my pickle fork on the ball joints, and had to go to plan B, which was a torch, and a puller.

Along the way I decided to play around with electrolytic rust removal. Basically it's using a small battery charger, and an electrolyte made of water and baking soda, to chemically remove rust without touching the good metal underneath. I used my front engine mount bracket as the guinea pig. It was seriously rusty, and had a broken off bolt completely fused into one of the threaded holes.

Here is a pic of my setup, it's important that the sacrificial anode be plain steel or iron, and as large in surface area as possible. I used an old brake rotor. (Do not use Stainless steel!!!! You will end up making a super toxic chromium stew.)

After plugging it in it started bubbling immediately. After about an hour, It looked like this.

This was the final result. I'm pretty sold on it. Any rust color you see is due to it sitting for a couple of weeks since I did this. I wanted to make sure it wasn't too clean for the POR 15! I did end up losing patience waiting for the broken bolt. It was really fused in there, so I drilled it, broke it out in pieces, then cleaned up the threads with a tap.

I used a press and a puller at work to get the bearing housings and hubs apart. those have been cleaned up, and are also waiting for their coat of POR 15.

Up next is the front subframe, I'm having trouble with the drivers side front control arm bolt, which is the same one I broke doing the bushings on my '92. Luckily I discovered I can access the back of it through the bottom of the trans mount cup, so with some patience, and some heat hopefully I won't be needing a new subframe.

I've also continued to collect lots of goodies!

I haven't decided if I'm going to use the Mattig Eyebrow yet. Normally I'm not a fan for a couple of reasons, but I have a plan for it, that may or may not work out...

That's it for now. I'll probably update again after I finish the suspension. I still have to decide where I'm going with springs/struts, or coils. I'm starting to lean toward coils, even though I'm more after a decent ride than "Moar low"!

07-23-2010 01:56 PM #20
      good luck re-birthing ur car
      CNC plasma services, offering custom parts, tig welding, sheet metal work,boost tubes, cages made in house, paint/body VAG-COM. need parts made?
      exit0customs mk2 build
      TT-Build APR 225 TT stg3+ For Sale
      dCivW

21. 07-23-2010 02:31 PM #21
      great job on the electrolyte rust removal! I might have to try that

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-23-2010 02:39 PM #22
      Have you or the body shop started to dig into the body work at all?

Saw the electrolysis thing in the fabrication forum. Interesting stuff. I hope you plan to remove the rest of the powdercoating from that mount bracket before POR15. I have found if it is bare metal that was sanded with 40 grit and using the marine clean prep it sticks well. Otherwise it sheets off

Vehicles
      07-23-2010 02:42 PM #23
      Nice work bud. Keep on keepin on! I haven't had a chance to get workin on mine since I went on leave but I plan on doin work this weekend.

24. 07-23-2010 02:56 PM #24
      that electrolysis worked aweoms....but why not just powdercoat everything?

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      07-23-2010 02:59 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      Have you or the body shop started to dig into the body work at all?

I saw the electrolysis thing in the fabrication forum. Interesting stuff. I hope you plan to remove the rest of the powdercoating from that mount bracket before POR15. I have found if it is bare metal that was sanded with 40 grit and using the marine clean prep it sticks well. Otherwise it sheets off
      As far as the body work goes I've started working on the floor pans, which I'm going to strip, then POR 15. There was standing water in them when I pulled the carpets, so there is some rust. There was also a big dent plus a small hole under the drivers seat. I hammered it out, I just need to prep and coat it. All the body stuff you won't see I'm doing myself, the real work I'm leaving to the body shop. I would just drive myself crazy trying to get it perfect.

The rest of the powder coating on the mount is coming off, I bought some stripper, as well as marine clean, and the metal prep from the POR 15 guys. I'm just waiting till I get all the suspension parts off, and cleaned, so I can do it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by cstanley19 View Post
      Nice work bud. Keep on keepin on! I haven't had a chance to get workin on mine since I went on leave but I plan on doin work this weekend.
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jettag60 View Post
      that electrolysis worked aweoms....but why not just powdercoat everything?
      Because POR 15 is (Supposedly) tougher when applied properly, seals/prevents rust, and I can do it myself to save some $$$ for more sweet parts!
      Last edited by NoCYet; 07-23-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Vehicles
      93 SLC, 93 SLC, 2013 WRX
      07-23-2010 06:22 PM #26
      Nice project, this is definitely motivating me to get working on mine. POR 15 works excellent, just don't get it on your skin...

27. 08-31-2010 01:07 PM #27
      ......Update.......

NoCYet is missing his stub axle and in need of replacement....

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      11-20-2010 11:51 AM #28
      Progress!!!

More to come...

29. 11-20-2010 01:01 PM #29
      Thats clean buddy

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      11-20-2010 03:34 PM #30
      Great build thread...watching this one
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      1992 E36 325is
      11-20-2010 04:33 PM #31
      very nice, I'm following this.

BTW, how do you dispose the electrolytic rust removal residue?
      Sofa King uro

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      C'mon man, you know that criticizing wheel size is the de facto way to show your mettle as an elitist car snob.

32. 11-20-2010 04:54 PM #32
      He is in the Coast Guard, so it goes in the Boston Harbor

33. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Passat Wagon 16v
      11-20-2010 05:44 PM #33
      looks like my Corrado when I bought it...

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      11-20-2010 07:04 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by 92rado2.8 View Post
      He is in the Coast Guard, so it goes in the Boston Harbor
      Ha! You can't even put stuff that just came out of Boston Harbor into Boston Harbor!

The electrolyte is just baking soda, and water. After use it will have iron oxide(rust) in it as well. As long as you use plain steel or iron for your electrode the used electrolyte is harmless, you can dump it down a drain. BTW I ended up abandoning the experiment after the front mount. It works great, it just takes too long.

Anyway... Today I got one coat of POR15, and one coat of POR15 Chassis black, on my lower rad support, my control arms, and front brake shields. I discovered it's best not to coat anything more than an hours worth at a time, because POR15 has a very small margin for error in the drying time, when a second coat will adhere. If you miss it, you have to wait till it cures completely, and rough it up before applying the topcoat.
      The rest of the parts I sprayed down with a product called Metal Ready, which forms an oxide that POR15 will stick to, and will protect the surface until I get around to painting it.
      Last edited by NoCYet; 11-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      11-20-2010 07:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by xEdgeDubx View Post
      looks like my Corrado when I bought it...

Yeah, my car looks like yours after a six month crack bender.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast