Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Generic Build Thread

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-02-2012 04:43 PM #141
      haha. I also recall having to tweak the inner lights on the hatch to get them to line up perfectly. Don't recall exactly (maybe oblong the bolt holes or something)..

Looking good though

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-02-2012 04:46 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      haha. I also recall having to tweak the inner lights on the hatch to get them to line up perfectly. Don't recall exactly (maybe oblong the bolt holes or something)..

Looking good though
      That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. They're very slightly off right now. I just wanted to make sure I had my hatch, and it's latch aligned properly before I started.
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      03-06-2012 12:35 AM #143
      Hey, I don't browse the Corrado forum much, but your thread came up in a search. Nice work

Just wondering how many square feet of sound deadener you got for your kit. Obviously depends on how nuts you want to go with it, but can you give me an idea of the square footage?

edit: PM me if you want some ideas about moving to the bay area. I did a cross country move to take a new job here in 2009 (from Albany NY)
      Last edited by phatz314; 03-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-06-2012 08:10 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by phatz314 View Post
      Hey, I don't browse the Corrado forum much, but your thread came up in a search. Nice work

Just wondering how many square feet of sound deadener you got for your kit. Obviously depends on how nuts you want to go with it, but can you give me an idea of the square footage?

edit: PM me if you want some ideas about moving to the bay area. I did a cross country move to take a new job here in 2009 (from Albany NY)

I've got a order sheet that breaks down exactly what I got. I think it's going to end up being a little too much, but it depends on how far you want to go. Just to replace the factory stuff you really don't need all that much, but I'm doing the doors, quarters, and part of the hatch area too.
      I'll definitely PM you about CA later.
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      03-06-2012 03:40 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by NoCYet View Post
      I've got a order sheet that breaks down exactly what I got. I think it's going to end up being a little too much, but it depends on how far you want to go. Just to replace the factory stuff you really don't need all that much, but I'm doing the doors, quarters, and part of the hatch area too.
      I'll definitely PM you about CA later.
      Thanks. I got a very, very detailed response from Don at Sound Deadener showdown. Assuming fpr the firewall I only did between the dash and the front seats (NOT the entire floor of the rest of the car, and didn't pull the dash either), for a complete job on a mk6 he estimated:

• More than 60 10"x6" CLD tiles
      • 80 sq ft of CCF/MLV (doesn't include the roof, he didn't think you'd need it there)
      • 39 sq ft of 3M thinsulate acoustic deadener (half of that is for the roof)

Over $700 with shipping

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-06-2012 07:22 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by phatz314 View Post
      Thanks. I got a very, very detailed response from Don at Sound Deadener showdown. Assuming fpr the firewall I only did between the dash and the front seats (NOT the entire floor of the rest of the car, and didn't pull the dash either), for a complete job on a mk6 he estimated:

• More than 60 10"x6" CLD tiles
      • 80 sq ft of CCF/MLV (doesn't include the roof, he didn't think you'd need it there)
      • 39 sq ft of 3M thinsulate acoustic deadener (half of that is for the roof)

Over $700 with shipping
      That Mass loaded vinyl weighs a ton! I'm betting that around 100 of that is shipping. I can't seem to find the details of my order right now, but I remember it was just over $500 shipped. Considering that my order had 60 CLD tiles for the whole car, and you only need 25% coverage with them that sounds like a lot to me.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-06-2012 07:58 PM #147
      Every time I see the pics of the shell painted, it brings back hard memories of me of what got me into VWs. I helped my 2 yr older brother prep his first car for paint in '82 with help from my dad and other bro. It was a 1980 Scirocco S (orig Mars Red). My dad actually did the paint while we learned. He used Imron (state of the art isht back then) and what looks to be the same candy type color. I was like 12 at the time and my brother wasn't even old enough to drive it LOL.

Sorry for being O/T, but had to share.

Can't wait until this thing is on the road.

8. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      03-06-2012 09:03 PM #148
      Very nice work sir subscribed

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-06-2012 09:55 PM #149
      Thanks! ^

This evenings project was the dash. I got the two halves of the damaged shell successfully separated, and cleaned off all the old sealant. Then I discovered there are a lot more differences between the old, and new style dashes than I realized. I'm going to have to get creative to get the pre 93 shell to work. I thought the bracket that supports the rear of the radio was the only major difference, but the entire center section around the bezel is different. If I want the bezel to fit right, and all the mounting points to line up, I need to remove the metal bracing from the 94 shell, and swap it into the 90 shell. I also have to move a bracket from the new dash that doesn't exist on the older one. Did I mention I need to find a more common car to be obsessed with?

I finished my hood liner project as well. Getting the old adhesive off was probably the crappiest job I've tackled to date. The new stuff went on pretty easily, but I had to trim one piece a bit. I got the stuff here -> http://www.928leather.com/
      Final verdict is that while the material is good quality, the fact that I had to supply my own adhesive, and some trimming of the pre-cut pieces was required makes it overpiced IMO.

I also gave in an ordered two new window regulators from A1 Electric. I was originally not going to replace them, but I broke a roller off the passenger side, and found they are NLA so I took it as a sign...
      Last edited by NoCYet; 03-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-11-2012 09:27 PM #150
      Lots of Progress this weekend. After looking around for an epoxy with a long enough working time to do the dash I did a 180, and decided to use construction adhesive. It's strong, stays a bit flexible, doesn't have a strong odor, and has a 30 minute plus working time.
      So first I finished stripping the shell, then modified the center mounting points to work with the 93+ bezel.

This is the center section out of my old dash waiting to go into the new one.

Ready to go back together.

24 hours like this to cure, and I finally have a dash I can use.

I finished the last few things I needed to do to the engine before re-installing it, did a quick prep, and spray on the transmission, Shutz'd my fenders, and did a couple of dozen random jobs that needed doing.

SOON...

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-18-2012 08:20 PM #151
      The engine is back in!!!
      Finally! I feel like I'm in the home stretch now.
      I started off this morning with the clutch, mated the engine and transmission, installed them, then bolted up the lower rad support, and cross member. I installed the starter and alternator. I Filled, and bled both the clutch, and the brakes. Finally I installed the shift bracket then hooked up and adjusted the linkages.
      Things are moving fast now.

Last edited by NoCYet; 03-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Vehicles
      DE & VZ
      03-18-2012 09:31 PM #152
      Awesome stuff dude.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pineapplegti ! View Post
      Gravy is a attention whore..
      I do side work on vw's in ny/ct area. PM me

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      03-18-2012 09:40 PM #153
      Looks great bud. Keep up the awesome work and post Moar!
      [B] INSTAGRAM: europeein
      Facebook: facebook.com/addmichael

Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon
      03-18-2012 09:57 PM #154
      VW's the older the better
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/ <=THE BEST
      BUY MY PARTS MKII MOSTLY
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82154097

Vehicles
      01 VR jetta, 92 VR jetta, 92 VR corrado
      03-18-2012 10:21 PM #155
      Love build threads
      I love vr6's too much.
      Nebraska Corrado VR build
      The Depot Build
      instagram: JettaLvr41

Vehicles
      02 TT Quattro gt3076r, 92 Corrado, 93 Corrado, 11 Jetta TDI, 07 Tundra
      03-18-2012 11:08 PM #156
      Is that an mk3 brake master cylinder?

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-19-2012 08:43 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v GTI Guy View Post
      Is that an mk3 brake master cylinder?
      No, It's a teves 20 ABS setup out of a '97 Passat. MUCH easier to bleed than the Corrado system BTW.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-19-2012 07:00 PM #158
      Got some stuff done after work today. My C2 headers got back from Swaintech last week so I put them in, then spent an hour or so mocking up my exhaust. Tomorrow I'm dropping all my stuff off at the exhaust shop.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-20-2012 01:57 PM #159
      It runs!!!

Fired it up Friday afternoon! It started immediately, and idled smoothly, which surprised the hell out of me. It would have happened a week earlier, but I discovered I'd gotten a bad thermostat housing, and had to drain the coolant again to replace it.
      Anyway,
      No time for a real update... I've been insanely busy, but I've gotten a lot done in bits and pieces. So here's a couple of progress shots. Pardon the crappy camera.
      almost there...

Vehicles
      92 Corrado 07 Mercedes e350 04 Touareg
      05-20-2012 02:05 PM #160
      Lookin' pretty awesome, Todd. Good to hear the motor fired right away. When are you headin' out to cali? I am in Texas now, been here for about 3 weeks I miss my car.. I can't wait to drive it again.

Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      05-20-2012 02:30 PM #161
      Congrats!

Lookin' very nice!
      Dak
      I drive waaay too fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      05-20-2012 02:58 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by cstanley19 View Post
      Lookin' pretty awesome, Todd. Good to hear the motor fired right away. When are you headin' out to cali? I am in Texas now, been here for about 3 weeks I miss my car.. I can't wait to drive it again.
      I'm heading out at the end of June. It's coming up fast!!! The car should be drivable by the end of next week, it would be sooner, but I'm currently sitting in the airport on the way to Virginia for my fourth pre-arrival school.
      You living in TX now?

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      06-01-2012 07:30 PM #163
      At LONG last she's on the road!

There are a few bugs to work out, such as the cooling fans not coming on until 230deg, and only on low. The spoiler stopped working at some point, and It vibrates a lot a idle, but considering the amount of crap I did it's all working surprisingly well! The exhaust sounds ridiculous!

Quick pic for now, interior shots tomorrow...

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 08:03 PM #164
      Wow looks incredible!!! Rml snowflakes look very nice on the car!

Sent while sitting on my ass VIA my iPad

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      06-01-2012 08:46 PM #165
      Freaking gorgeous.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      06-02-2012 08:14 AM #166
      Congrats
      It looks really good (minus the Snowflakes - that wheels don't suit Corrados IMHO)
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      06-02-2012 08:16 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post
      Congrats
      It looks really good (minus the Snowflakes - that wheels don't suit Corrados IMHO)
      wheel nazi

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      06-02-2012 09:13 AM #168
      Congrats
      Guess what you can do with your opinion?... IMO (the only one that counts) they suit the car just fine. Can't please everyone I guess. I'm still waiting for the inevitable "lower it".

Thanks everyone! I still have to get an alignment, finish some interior stuff, and charge the AC. etc...

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      06-02-2012 09:28 AM #169
      Please don't lower it. Looks great.

06-02-2012 09:30 AM #170
      That's an amazing transformation, would love to see a ton of pics of all the minor details
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      1988 is not an 80's car, it's an early 90s car but whatever.

Vehicles
      2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo --05.5 Audi A4 3.2L (sold) --01 JTI VR6 (sold) --97 GTI 2.0L (sold)
      06-02-2012 10:25 AM #171
      I love the progress you made on this beauty, keep up the good work
      DrtyEuro l FLOSSFilthy l VRalliance #1
      For VRalliance stickers and tee shirts PM "sixxxball"

32. 06-02-2012 10:43 AM #172
      well saved, good job! , nice to see people putting in the effort rather then breaking it up for spares, these cars arent going to be here for ever, love the new colour, Is that LE3P Mica pearl ?

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      06-02-2012 11:58 AM #173
      Guess what you can do with your opinion?...
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      06-02-2012 01:35 PM #174
      No worries I was just kidding around.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado 07 Mercedes e350 04 Touareg
      06-02-2012 02:10 PM #175
      You living in TX now?
      Yea, I'll be here until November, then potentially Korea..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast