haha. I also recall having to tweak the inner lights on the hatch to get them to line up perfectly. Don't recall exactly (maybe oblong the bolt holes or something)..
Looking good though
Hey, I don't browse the Corrado forum much, but your thread came up in a search. Nice work
Just wondering how many square feet of sound deadener you got for your kit. Obviously depends on how nuts you want to go with it, but can you give me an idea of the square footage?
edit: PM me if you want some ideas about moving to the bay area. I did a cross country move to take a new job here in 2009 (from Albany NY)
Last edited by phatz314; 03-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.
I've got a order sheet that breaks down exactly what I got. I think it's going to end up being a little too much, but it depends on how far you want to go. Just to replace the factory stuff you really don't need all that much, but I'm doing the doors, quarters, and part of the hatch area too.
I'll definitely PM you about CA later.
Over $700 with shipping
- More than 60 10"x6" CLD tiles
- 80 sq ft of CCF/MLV (doesn't include the roof, he didn't think you'd need it there)
- 39 sq ft of 3M thinsulate acoustic deadener (half of that is for the roof)
Every time I see the pics of the shell painted, it brings back hard memories of me of what got me into VWs. I helped my 2 yr older brother prep his first car for paint in '82 with help from my dad and other bro. It was a 1980 Scirocco S (orig Mars Red). My dad actually did the paint while we learned. He used Imron (state of the art isht back then) and what looks to be the same candy type color. I was like 12 at the time and my brother wasn't even old enough to drive it LOL.
Sorry for being O/T, but had to share.
Can't wait until this thing is on the road.
This evenings project was the dash. I got the two halves of the damaged shell successfully separated, and cleaned off all the old sealant. Then I discovered there are a lot more differences between the old, and new style dashes than I realized. I'm going to have to get creative to get the pre 93 shell to work. I thought the bracket that supports the rear of the radio was the only major difference, but the entire center section around the bezel is different. If I want the bezel to fit right, and all the mounting points to line up, I need to remove the metal bracing from the 94 shell, and swap it into the 90 shell. I also have to move a bracket from the new dash that doesn't exist on the older one. Did I mention I need to find a more common car to be obsessed with?
I finished my hood liner project as well. Getting the old adhesive off was probably the crappiest job I've tackled to date. The new stuff went on pretty easily, but I had to trim one piece a bit. I got the stuff here -> http://www.928leather.com/
Final verdict is that while the material is good quality, the fact that I had to supply my own adhesive, and some trimming of the pre-cut pieces was required makes it overpiced IMO.
I also gave in an ordered two new window regulators from A1 Electric. I was originally not going to replace them, but I broke a roller off the passenger side, and found they are NLA so I took it as a sign...
Last edited by NoCYet; 03-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Lots of Progress this weekend. After looking around for an epoxy with a long enough working time to do the dash I did a 180, and decided to use construction adhesive. It's strong, stays a bit flexible, doesn't have a strong odor, and has a 30 minute plus working time.
So first I finished stripping the shell, then modified the center mounting points to work with the 93+ bezel.
This is the center section out of my old dash waiting to go into the new one.
Ready to go back together.
24 hours like this to cure, and I finally have a dash I can use.
I finished the last few things I needed to do to the engine before re-installing it, did a quick prep, and spray on the transmission, Shutz'd my fenders, and did a couple of dozen random jobs that needed doing.
The engine is back in!!!
Finally! I feel like I'm in the home stretch now.
I started off this morning with the clutch, mated the engine and transmission, installed them, then bolted up the lower rad support, and cross member. I installed the starter and alternator. I Filled, and bled both the clutch, and the brakes. Finally I installed the shift bracket then hooked up and adjusted the linkages.
Things are moving fast now.
Last edited by NoCYet; 03-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.
MY BUILD THREAD http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nt-VW&highligw
http://www.4everkustoms.com/ <=THE BEST
Got some stuff done after work today. My C2 headers got back from Swaintech last week so I put them in, then spent an hour or so mocking up my exhaust. Tomorrow I'm dropping all my stuff off at the exhaust shop.
Fired it up Friday afternoon! It started immediately, and idled smoothly, which surprised the hell out of me. It would have happened a week earlier, but I discovered I'd gotten a bad thermostat housing, and had to drain the coolant again to replace it.
No time for a real update... I've been insanely busy, but I've gotten a lot done in bits and pieces. So here's a couple of progress shots. Pardon the crappy camera.
At LONG last she's on the road!
There are a few bugs to work out, such as the cooling fans not coming on until 230deg, and only on low. The spoiler stopped working at some point, and It vibrates a lot a idle, but considering the amount of crap I did it's all working surprisingly well! The exhaust sounds ridiculous!
Quick pic for now, interior shots tomorrow...
Thanks everyone! I still have to get an alignment, finish some interior stuff, and charge the AC. etc...