So a bit of a general update. The project focus has changed to be in stages. It will allow me to actually drive it an enjoy it and use the off-season to do larger parts of the project. This round is the syncro, suspension and a motor swap. Some things like the suspension, will be permanent, while others, such as the drivetrain will be temporary. At this point it needs to come together so I'm hoping to have it together for this summer. I have about two more weeks to finish up all the metal work before I seal up seams, paint and underbody coat. March, when the car is back at my place, I will probably be assembling the transmission back together, do any finish welding on removable parts for the suspension and start wiring up the OE harness back in place. April, interior, more wiring and probably by then it will be time to dump the temporary motor in (stock 1.8t).
Today I went to the junkyard to grab a filler neck to replace my rusty filler tip one that wasn't going to work. The part from the yard was actually in good condition and I was happy to get it back and finish off the filler tube. After cutting it off and comparing it to the original , they were different. The original used a plastic trim piece around the filler while the US spec junk yard one fit right inside the stock body work.
Plastic trim on left, original rusty one in the middle and the junk yard replacement on right.
original with rust pores left , junk yard part right
Being stubborn, I decided that it had to keep that plastic trim as it came with. The solution was to trim off the cancer and keep just the very edge of the original filler tube, where all the good metal was, and really the only part that was important.
Then found a tube the same diameter in which that the plastic trim would slip over, and welded them together...
...and smoothed them out.
then filled the low spots and finish blend the part. Just like stock.
Fitted and finalized plus a bonus picture for motivation.
tomorrow is e-brake day