VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

?UK Storm Rocco Project

136K views 377 replies 91 participants last post by  d-bot 
#1 · (Edited)
£UK Storm Rocco Project

The original project thread was lost in the move so a quick re-intro then just a lot of pictures to bring it up to date. 1981 Noisette Brown rhd storm w/tan leather interior minus drive train. Plan is a restoration in my home garage doing most of the work myself including a few surprises along the way. I've had the car now for a few years but just started messing with it. Glad I can share, hope you enjoy! Now to bring it up to speed... lots of pictures.

the pickup

mk4 8v AEG bottom end as a base with a 20v head up top. Both will get attention.

11 pence, enough to by me a loaf of bread!

binned the crappy servo and was planning to do something like this.

The trans from my last build. 02J with a tdi 5th. These gears will be coming in handy later.

the "new to me" transmission(s) 4 cyl 02C

cleaning

Some gearing comparisons.
So real quick what is going on. I have an R&P from the CCM VR6 that I picked up a long time ago. The gearing from the 02J EBQ was a bit too short especially with the smaller tire size compared to a mk4 (3.938) in the last car so the plan was to build up a gear set to work better such as the 3.389 from the CCM VR.
CCM VR 02A (left), CBC 02C(02A)(center), EBQ 02J (right)

Yankin stuff off to bin.

built this body cart with some extra material kicking around.

And now the floating scirocco.

More to come as the project progresses.

cheers.

See less See more
#106 ·
Move to D-town and we'll do it up! :laugh: I really have no clue how many hours, but if I had to guess, but it's probably a bunch. Then again, it feels like everything has progressing smoothly.

So a bit of a general update. The project focus has changed to be in stages. It will allow me to actually drive it an enjoy it and use the off-season to do larger parts of the project. This round is the syncro, suspension and a motor swap. Some things like the suspension, will be permanent, while others, such as the drivetrain will be temporary. At this point it needs to come together so I'm hoping to have it together for this summer. I have about two more weeks to finish up all the metal work before I seal up seams, paint and underbody coat. March, when the car is back at my place, I will probably be assembling the transmission back together, do any finish welding on removable parts for the suspension and start wiring up the OE harness back in place. April, interior, more wiring and probably by then it will be time to dump the temporary motor in (stock 1.8t).

Today I went to the junkyard to grab a filler neck to replace my rusty filler tip one that wasn't going to work. The part from the yard was actually in good condition and I was happy to get it back and finish off the filler tube. After cutting it off and comparing it to the original , they were different. The original used a plastic trim piece around the filler while the US spec junk yard one fit right inside the stock body work.
Plastic trim on left, original rusty one in the middle and the junk yard replacement on right.

original with rust pores left :(, junk yard part right

Being stubborn, I decided that it had to keep that plastic trim as it came with. The solution was to trim off the cancer and keep just the very edge of the original filler tube, where all the good metal was, and really the only part that was important.

Then found a tube the same diameter in which that the plastic trim would slip over, and welded them together...

...and smoothed them out.

then filled the low spots and finish blend the part. Just like stock.

Fitted and finalized plus a bonus picture for motivation.

tomorrow is e-brake day :thumbup:

#115 ·
Thanks thanks. Speaking of metal fab, have you talked to Jodi recently?

How did I miss this? Awesome work!
Too busy working on the rusty one? Haven't seen you in a while, hope you guys are doing good over there! :thumbup:

welds ,look awsome, what are you using to weld? mig, tig, ...?
Depends on the material and what it is. The filler is stainless so that was TIG and anything done to the body is MIG. Suspension components are mild steel but will be TIG.

I've been making some decent progress this week and checking off the to-do list. It's getting close for wrapping this part of fabrication up. Will be updating this thread tomorrow with pictures. :thumbup:

#116 ·
Picture update, I did work. Ebrake complete, though not sure why I didn't get final pictures, welded stuff, notched the front, then did more welding in the back. Going to finish up the back sheet metal this week.
I like pictures, so here are a lot more pictures.

bracket for hydro brake, non-drift car edition.

fueled by

and all wheel welding burnouts.

#118 ·
dirt "D" stylings...dude Matt you guys are really rocking this one....while I hold a newborn an type!!:thumbup:

#119 ·
Another?! Didn't know! Congrats Tony!

So close with being done with this part, and ready to be done too ;)... I've been putting a bunch of time in sealing up any holes in the frame and adding extra support where the body was trimmed. Almost complete with that part and next week I will be painting and sealing all this metal work up.

Grabbed a picture of the final ebrake set-up with the bracket.

And somewhere in there the rear suspension is complete so they came out for final welding.

Then trimmed in and broke up the new rear trunk floor.

After that I called in Btek Fabrication out of retirement to spin up an adapter and get the front prop shaft together.
So he spun up all the parts as a press fit. With some heat, they slipped right together and after cooling for a second, fit snug in an instant. Then to seal the deal I asked him to finish it off and TIG weld it together. It's been too long and he needed some practice parts and figure this was a great opportunity! But enough jokes, big thanks to him as he delivered like a boss! Pictures will tell the story.

Fits perfectly right over the steering rack, and should be plenty of room for the 2.5" exhaust!

Again, big thanks to Bryan for the help on the prop shaft parts!

I have new hanger bearings coming on Tuesday, and after grafting in new mount locations in the tunnel, it will be time to seal this thing up!
Stay tuned.

#122 ·
About 4-6 years ago it was imported as a "parts car" along with a very very nice condition running sister. A fellow from VWoA owns the nice runner still as far as I know. Originally the person/company who imported this car was trying to part it out but thankfully not many items left the car. Only the euro bumpers sold. I saw it come up that summer for sale as whole or parting out and eventually disappeared from the 'tex. It changed hands one or two times until later that winter I tracked it down and purchased it in eastern PA. It's been sitting in my garage just waiting for the right time to start on it. I've been collecting parts and working on a few nice things for it that won't go on until later though.

i just read through this entire thread WOW!

this is an incredible build!!

you've really talented
Thanks a lot, your feedback is appreciated! It's been really fun putting it together so far and making some of these ideas that have brewing for years since I picked it up, into a reality. I also have a good knowledge base backing me here for things that I have questions about, such as suspension geometry. :thumbup:

#124 ·
When the brake is not set it will act as a through system and the rears will work as normal. When the e-brake is applied (parking only, not a drift car!) the "feed" will close off as the cylinder is compressed, pushing only to the rear brakes. I just have to make sure to get the inlet and outlet correct when setting up the lines, but in theory this is how it will work. Cables would have been too difficult to route in this application so I went with this as an extra sense of security while parking including putting the car in gear.

#127 ·
This is hella slick,

beautiful work, would love to put somehting like this i, just not worth it in my applicatio. What handbrake and parts are those?

:thumbup::thumbup:
It's a full mk4 handle so it bolts right to the tunnel. Instead of a pull for a cable, the "pull" rod was flipped, shortened, bent and welded in order to push the Girling cylinder which has a threaded in and out for the hard lines. :)

#135 ·
Wow, great stuff. In for more. :thumbup:
**** me. I wish I had the means to take on something like this. Huge props on the build. Can't wait to see her in person when she's done. :beer:
thanks guys

the attention to detail with this build is staggering.

congratulations on what you've managed so far, and keep those updates coming!!!

do you have a date in your head of when you expect this project to be roadworthy?

VAGKraft and Berlin Klassik are 2 local shows that you really should try to fit into your schedule, if you haven't before. they're both quality VAG events, and i'll be at both shows with pimp.

i want to make sure that when i see the storm coming, it will be from pimp's driver seat. :)
I've been to June Jitterbug a few times back around 2007 year. I always enjoy the Canadian shows because they have a bit different flavor than what is usually here in the states. I'm close too, obviously and the last few years a few of us have been talking about getting to VAGcraft but for some reason never make it. This year I will try extra hard to get there, as long as the car is driving!

you've done a great job restoring/improving this RHD mk1 Scirocco so far :thumbup:

I for one look forward to seeing more progress on this project :D
Not sure how much "restoration" it's getting right now, more like a drivetrain swap, but thanks!

The final push. As usual, many photos.

Blasted the prop and added new modded E30 hanger bearings. Coating to come.

Then it was time to hang it all and add the tabs in the tunnel.

Officially AWD!!!

Out everything came and it was paint time. After some more unglamorous grinding, cutting and smoothing it was time for paint.

etch primed, glued and tacked in the trunk floor, then seam sealed.

weight in the rear while the glue dries. This will get sealed and painted tomorrow along with the rest of the tunnel on the interior.

Underneath received the finish coating treatments. Will get pictures of the products I used tomorrow.

Good to be about done with this part!

#129 ·
the attention to detail with this build is staggering.

congratulations on what you've managed so far, and keep those updates coming!!!

do you have a date in your head of when you expect this project to be roadworthy?

VAGKraft and Berlin Klassik are 2 local shows that you really should try to fit into your schedule, if you haven't before. they're both quality VAG events, and i'll be at both shows with pimp.

i want to make sure that when i see the storm coming, it will be from pimp's driver seat. :)

#134 ·
you've done a great job restoring/improving this RHD mk1 Scirocco so far :thumbup:

I for one look forward to seeing more progress on this project :D

#140 · (Edited)
what's on the bottom of your trans?
Beer label sticker to cover the open hole in the trans. I have a few rolls when one of my favorite local brew places went out of business, but luckily they re-opened a year later under a new name. If you ever see it, buy it.
http://www.millkingit.com/ or I can ship you some!

didn't get a chance to check aback this thread. Was going to pick down the passat...do I still need to ?
Nope, got it sorted out. Deadlines man! Thanks anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.