Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Results 351 to 385 of 659

    Thread: Vintage Hi-Fi gear. Who's into it?

    1. Member Marshmallow Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 16th, 2004
      Location
      Chicago-The Low End
      Posts
      9,955
      Vehicles
      Work Car
      07-17-2012 12:41 PM #351
      Just sharing some eye candy. I went to a friends wedding at a Salvage company/gallery and saw this beauty for sale $1100 and its all yours supposedly a Vintage Montgomery Wards Airline Stereo



      more at their webpage: salvageone.com

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-17-2012 05:57 PM #352
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Thanks thats what I needed to know, my googling only produced a bunch of technical info and not knowing the names of these parts and what they control made it difficult to discern what I needed to search for. Alot of these sites just assume you know what a idler tire is and what its responsible for...I don't.
      I'd bet there are DIY websites dedicated to Nakamichi cassette deck maintenance. I'm going to need to find something like that one of these days.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    3. Member BiH's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2000
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      14,109
      Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      07-23-2012 03:18 PM #353
      some of the stuff I got from my father in law, he was gonna throw it away during the move.



      never saw this in person before, looks very cool and vintage.




      tried to take a pic of the turntable model number but finger got in the way



      and four speakers

      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2003
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,777
      07-23-2012 08:15 PM #354
      Found a local seller that had one of these new old stock signs for sale.
      It was used as a dealer sign in the 70's and measure 16.5” wide and 5.5” tall
      Its in mint shape ! check it out



    5. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-23-2012 08:56 PM #355
      Quote Originally Posted by BiH View Post
      some of the stuff I got from my father in law, he was gonna throw it away during the move.

      Is that a SX-1080?
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    6. Senior Member VWVan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2000
      Location
      Langley, B.C.
      Posts
      24,790
      07-25-2012 02:54 PM #356
      If so thats a keeper!

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      08-14-2012 07:28 PM #357
      Looking for some help: I have a vintage Garrard Model 50 turntable that is in need of a needle/cartridge. I checked out a couple sites but can't seem to figure out which one I need.

      Can someone point me in the right direction?

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-14-2012 07:40 PM #358
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      Looking for some help: I have a vintage Garrard Model 50 turntable that is in need of a needle/cartridge. I checked out a couple sites but can't seem to figure out which one I need.

      Can someone point me in the right direction?
      If you have a FB account you can get a lot of help from the link below.

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagehifiandstereo/
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2003
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,777
      08-14-2012 08:47 PM #359
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      Looking for some help: I have a vintage Garrard Model 50 turntable that is in need of a needle/cartridge. I checked out a couple sites but can't seem to figure out which one I need.

      Can someone point me in the right direction?
      http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

    10. Member gruppe-b's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2008
      Location
      Philly 'burbs,Pa
      Posts
      1,769
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      08-15-2012 12:04 PM #360
      'needle doctor' is good,too


      i dig that reel-to-reel machine posted earlier ^^.i always liked those things
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Satin Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      08-15-2012 11:21 PM #361
      So I pulled the Garrard apart and I see that I have a Ronette 105 cartridge with a rotating needle setup that does 33-45RPM on one side then 78RPM on the other. I found a guy on eBay who has the 78RPM needle listed, emailed to see if he has the other needle as well.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2001
      Location
      Northeast, MA
      Posts
      1,289
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      10-19-2012 09:38 PM #362
      Here is ~10% of what I've collected. This is the Scott shelf (122, 233, 299, 299, 222, 272, 296, & 296) -


    13. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      10-21-2012 02:52 AM #363
      Quote Originally Posted by speaker View Post
      Here is ~10% of what I've collected. This is the Scott shelf (122, 233, 299, 299, 222, 272, 296, & 296) -

      It's called hoarding!! LOL

      I've got something on the way that will be here by mid-week. I'll post pictures up when it arrives.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    14. Member Dan337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2002
      Location
      Corvallis, Oregon
      Posts
      2,329
      Vehicles
      89 Jetta GLi 16v, 04 Honda RC51, 93 Ducati 750SS, 95 Aprilia RS250
      10-22-2012 01:24 PM #364
      Just got this Rotel setup in my home office and figured I'd share. Speakers are KEF's. This replaces a cheap Denon receiver and Polk separates, and I couldn't be happier!

      dc




    15. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      8,445
      10-22-2012 02:49 PM #365
      That Rotel setup looks great!

    16. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      8,445
      10-22-2012 03:53 PM #366
      My current IKEA EXPEDIT bookcase is no longer doing it for me so I'm looking for a decent forward facing option for storing and browsing through my collection of vinyl LPs. Here are the options I've discovered so far in order of ascending price:

      slightly ghetto DIY rack using 1 sheet of plywood


      slightly less less ghetto but still not pretty pre-fab rack from LPBIN

      International Displays metal record stand (ships from UK?)

      $650 stainless steel and wood industrial looking rack from loft3f

      Any other readily available options I've overlooked? There's nothing at the local goodwill stores.

      I'm not really finding exactly what I want so it looks as though I will end up having to go custom DIY to get what I want at a price I'm willing to pay for. I'll probably fab something similar to the loft3f unit but with the addition of drawers at the bottom or between the upper and lower levels to hold supplies. I need to decide whether to go with mild steel and get it nickel plated or if I should just go stainless.

    17. 10-23-2012 10:59 AM #367
      Totally love the Rotel set up, super sweet...

    18. Member Dan337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2002
      Location
      Corvallis, Oregon
      Posts
      2,329
      Vehicles
      89 Jetta GLi 16v, 04 Honda RC51, 93 Ducati 750SS, 95 Aprilia RS250
      10-24-2012 03:07 AM #368
      Thanks for the kudos on the Rotel setup. I'm helping a friend who sells vintage gear get online with eBay and Craigslist, and he traded me these pieces in return.

      He has had some very cool gear to enjoy before sale:























      dc

    19. Member Minker17's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2004
      Location
      Franklin, TN
      Posts
      14,517
      Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-25-2012 12:20 PM #369
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan337 View Post
      I have a Pioneer very similar to this. It's in my garage now. Was told it wasn't worth much. Opened it up and tapped in a 3.5mm jack so I could plug my phone into it.

      Sounds great though!
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

    20. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      20,548
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-25-2012 01:08 PM #370
      Ooooh. I want that Yamaha. Bad.

    21. 10-26-2012 10:56 PM #371
      I like that Onkyo!

    22. Senior Member F1_Fan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2001
      Location
      Victoria, BC
      Posts
      20,073
      10-27-2012 12:28 AM #372
      Damn, I'd like to have a Pioneer like that... my grandfather had one just like it. I used to spin the tuner dial back and forth.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      10-27-2012 02:47 PM #373
      Here's the newest piece of the collection, a Techniques SL-QL1 linear heavyweight turn table. That's a piece of cat hair that I missed when I took the shot.

      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    24. Member Dpaul04's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2010
      Location
      Kanada
      Posts
      379
      Vehicles
      '92 Jetta Coupe/ '94 Cherokee
      10-29-2012 10:59 PM #374
      Here is my
      TEAC A-2300S Reel to Reel - 20$
      Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable - Free
      I had a toshiba receiver which you can see was replaced with a Technics SA-300.
      My speakers are some two random Pioneers which you can slightly see. Both were complementary of my father.

      Last edited by Dpaul04; 10-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
      As we all know God forged the 4.0 from a block of granite at the dawn of time.

    25. 10-31-2012 06:44 PM #375
      The multi driver tower speakers what are they, Polk Audio? Back when they were high end and did reference stuff....

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-01-2012 03:08 PM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      The multi driver tower speakers what are they, Polk Audio? Back when they were high end and did reference stuff....
      Yes, from back in Polk's heyday. SDA, SRS, or something along that line. They seemed to like multiple 6" drivers & a passive radiator.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-07-2012 02:34 PM #377
      Look at this crazy stack from one of my FB groups. Obsession with Marantz? LOL

      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    28. Member landon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2005
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      2,187
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI DSG w/Tech Package, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      11-13-2012 04:38 PM #378
      This is my Pioneer SX-939.


    29. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,487
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-16-2012 02:55 AM #379
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      My current IKEA EXPEDIT bookcase is no longer doing it for me so I'm looking for a decent forward facing option for storing and browsing through my collection of vinyl LPs. Here are the options I've discovered so far in order of ascending price:

      slightly ghetto DIY rack using 1 sheet of plywood


      slightly less less ghetto but still not pretty pre-fab rack from LPBIN

      International Displays metal record stand (ships from UK?)

      $650 stainless steel and wood industrial looking rack from loft3f

      Any other readily available options I've overlooked? There's nothing at the local goodwill stores.

      I'm not really finding exactly what I want so it looks as though I will end up having to go custom DIY to get what I want at a price I'm willing to pay for. I'll probably fab something similar to the loft3f unit but with the addition of drawers at the bottom or between the upper and lower levels to hold supplies. I need to decide whether to go with mild steel and get it nickel plated or if I should just go stainless.
      I may have asked you in the OT vintage thread, but what is wrong with the Expedit that you don't like? All of the options you posted look like garbage and only hold a few dozen records.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dan337 View Post
      Thanks for the kudos on the Rotel setup. I'm helping a friend who sells vintage gear get online with eBay and Craigslist, and he traded me these pieces in return.

      He has had some very cool gear to enjoy before sale:



      \










      \





      Ooooohhh....a 9600. I have a 7600 and I love it. It needs a bit of work like the pots cleaned but everything works including the lamps as far as I can tell. The thing is, I've never seen another picture of one that has the rack style handles like the 9600 and mine do. What gives? All of the ones I have seen have the cheezy wooden surround. This worries me because one of the handles got damaged and I am trying to source another.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-16-2012 01:43 PM #380
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Ooooohhh....a 9600. I have a 7600 and I love it. It needs a bit of work like the pots cleaned but everything works including the lamps as far as I can tell. The thing is, I've never seen another picture of one that has the rack style handles like the 9600 and mine do. What gives? All of the ones I have seen have the cheezy wooden surround. This worries me because one of the handles got damaged and I am trying to source another.
      Maybe maybe the rack handles were an option & not a lot of people had a need for them?
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    31. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,487
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-18-2012 05:30 AM #381
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      Maybe maybe the rack handles were an option & not a lot of people had a need for them?
      I am starting to think so. They unscrew from the sides. Maybe I should just buy that one on ebay that is listed for parts.....
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-19-2012 03:05 PM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I am starting to think so. They unscrew from the sides. Maybe I should just buy that one on ebay that is listed for parts.....
      Does it have the rack handles?
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    33. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      8,445
      11-19-2012 03:14 PM #383
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I may have asked you in the OT vintage thread, but what is wrong with the Expedit that you don't like? All of the options you posted look like garbage and only hold a few dozen records.
      I have too many records for my modified 4x4 Expedit and I don't like browsing for albums with the spine facing me. I'd much rather flip through records with the front cover facing me like when shopping at the record store. I've decided to expand upon the loft3f theme of stainless steel and wood but I'm going to make my top shelf 2-tiered and I'm going to add a drawer between the upper and lower section for accessories (record brush, stylus cleaner, cables). Instead of walnut I'm going to use a nice cherry wood to match my other furniture. This setup will easily handle 500+ albums. My only question is whether it will have built-in switchable LED lighting to make browsing records easier in a dimly lit music listening room.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 29th, 2008
      Location
      Boynton Beach, FL
      Posts
      4,740
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-26-2012 06:47 PM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      My only question is whether it will have built-in switchable LED lighting to make browsing records easier in a dimly lit music listening room.
      The LED lighting will be a nice & functional touch. You just have decide what temperature you want to go with, soft white (yellowish) or a pure white (5000k).
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

    35. Member Minker17's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2004
      Location
      Franklin, TN
      Posts
      14,517
      Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      12-03-2012 08:20 AM #385
      While it's not vintage, my Mom had me carry an old TV of ours out of the house. We've had this thing ever since I can remember, but I never really looked at it since I got older.

      I was surprised to see that it was a Goldstar. If you aren't ware, Goldstar was part of the merger with Lucky which eventually became LG in 1995. Like I said, it's not super old, but I have never seen a Goldstar anything.


      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

    Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •