Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Hi-Fi gear. Who's into it?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-08-2011 11:45 AM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      I wouldn't worry about the stated specs. It's been proven time & again that the stated specs & measured specs don't usually match & are generally on the light side. Cabinet volume would be another reason they might not go as low as stated on the sticker. You'd need over 2 cubic feet, & probably closer to 3 to get down near 25 Hz.
      Yeah, I thought the cabinets were a bit small for two 10s, although it isn't ported.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-08-2011 01:59 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Yeah, I thought the cabinets were a bit small for two 10s, although it isn't ported.
      I had thought about buying a pair of speakers in poor cosmetic shape, cutting a large square in the back of them, & then adding a box to increase volume, but it's not really worth the effort or cost for the garage. It would be less money to just build cabinets of the correct size before buying the drivers. If the cabinet construction was a big fail, just put them out in the trash.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-08-2011 07:07 PM #178
      I had thought about buying a pair of speakers in poor cosmetic shape, cutting a large square in the back of them, & then adding a box to increase volume, but it's not really worth the effort or cost for the garage. It would be less money to just build cabinets of the correct size before buying the drivers. If the cabinet construction was a big fail, just put them out in the trash.
      Well, the rest of the drivers look ok. The foams are all present and in good shape (for now). I still haven't heard them so I am going to hook them up to the Kenwood tomorrow and see what it sounds like. How bad can a pushed in dustcap effect sound on a woofer?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-08-2011 07:52 PM #179
      How bad can a pushed in dustcap effect sound on a woofer?
      Probably very little if any.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-11-2011 12:58 PM #180
      The speakers sound pretty good, I haven't been able to crank them really high, but I went half volume on the Kenwood and they sounded decent for the age. It does sound like a couple of the pots need to be cleaned on the Kenwood though.

It is a nice beefy reciever and I am pretty happy with it so far. It has the optional faceplate handles and is very very heavy. It also seems wider than my other receivers by a few inches. The sound is very warm and smooth for such an old receiver, the manual I downloaded claims an 80 watts RMS x4, but there is an extra seperate stereo channel.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-11-2011 03:53 PM #181
      There are plenty of sites on the web with instructions on how attempt to cure that. I have a NAD receiver that happens on, but only when moving the volume pot. Once the volume is set, it's not there.

For anyone who's never been around a vintage receiver, it's a shock to see how things used to be built before plastic became a main component in construction of electronics.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-12-2011 02:35 AM #182
      There are plenty of sites on the web with instructions on how attempt to cure that. I have a NAD receiver that happens on, but only when moving the volume pot. Once the volume is set, it's not there.

For anyone who's never been around a vintage receiver, it's a shock to see how things used to be built before plastic became a main component in construction of electronics.
      I feel humbled to have another piece of equipment that is older than I am and stick kicking.

02-22-2011 01:41 AM #183
      Well, I decided to pull out the speakers I put in storage when I went in the Army 15 years ago- Cerwin Vega DX-7's.

I started looking around online for a cheap old receiver to hook these up to in my garage. They are 4 ohm and being a pretty big speaker, I need something that can put some power to them.

I bought a Vector Research VRX-9000. They were made later 70's-early 80's. Rated 80w per channel into 8 ohm, not sure of the 4 ohm spec.. but from what I've read they are very conservatively rated and have lots of headroom. The tuner is supposed to be great as well.

I'm pretty excited. The speakers should sound great on this box. Especially for a garage setup.
      -Josh
      Current VAG collection- 08 TT coupe 3.2 MT | 06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 GTI VR6 - all of them 24v VR6 based.
      Current other- 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick |01 ZRX1200R | 03 KLX400R | 00 XR200R

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-22-2011 06:20 PM #184
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      I bought a Vector Research VRX-9000. They were made later 70's-early 80's. Rated 80w per channel into 8 ohm, not sure of the 4 ohm spec.. but from what I've read they are very conservatively rated and have lots of headroom. The tuner is supposed to be great as well.
      I'm not familiar with the brand, but there were a lot of good companies going in & out of business back then.

Proton made some nice equipment that can be found reasonably priced on the used market. I think they had something to do with NAD at one point in time.

If I had the room I'd find a nice Technics receiver & a Kenwood, but I'm good until I sell something off.

Good luck with the new combo. Let us know how it works out.

02-23-2011 07:38 PM #185
      I'm not familiar with the brand, but there were a lot of good companies going in & out of business back then.

Yea, not much info out there on them. Apparently, they came out swinging hard in the late '70s and built some very high quality, heavy duty receivers.. then ownership switched in the mid '80s and costs were cut, quality went downhill and then they went out of business.

I found a guy who sells copies of reviews out of old magazines and he is sending me the tests on the receiver I bought ( VRX-9000 ) from 2 magazines. One is called High Fidelity and the other is Stereo Review. Both tests from spring 1980.

Hopefully I will have them in the next week or so and I will scan them and post up the tests to see what they had to say.

I'm hoping the reviews state what the power output is into 4 ohm. The meters on the front read up to 120w @ 8ohm. Back panel says 80w per channel @ 8ohm RMS. Given the few people I have read about who have any of these receivers, even the smaller lesser powered units are claimed to be underrated and powerful with lots of dynamic headroom. I know the back panel says it draws 450w power consumption.

For now, after many days of searching, all I have been able to find online is a bad photo of an ad for it that someone is selling on Ebay.

and a couple other pics-

[IMG][/IMG]

Is that spot for 2 AA batterys on the back to hold the station memory if the power goes out? I've never seen that before, but I'm NEW to OLD stuff. (new to high end stuff too)

I don't even know what half these buttons do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did find this guy who had one of the smaller units ( VR7000 )

He has some info and pictures posted here- http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...dynamic_power/

On his, which is rated at 65 per channel @ 8ohm, he states it specs at 105 per channel @ 4ohm.

Now, I know power isn't everything,.so you must be wondering why I keep mentioning it. Well, my brother hooked up my Cerwin Vega speakers to his Marantz that he bought new in the '70s and they sounded very empty and if you tried to turn it up even the slightest bit they clipped.

These speakers are hungry.. I'm going to feed them. Besides, after 4 years stationed in an artillery unit in the Army, I can't hear well enough to be a 'audiophile' anyway. Rock and Roll here we come. Perfect for my basement/garage/weight room.

-Josh
      Current VAG collection- 08 TT coupe 3.2 MT | 06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 GTI VR6 - all of them 24v VR6 based.
      Current other- 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick |01 ZRX1200R | 03 KLX400R | 00 XR200R

02-23-2011 08:30 PM #186
      I remember that VR stuff now... from when I was young and read not only stereo magazines but also all the ads.

Looking at that picture I'm struck by how similar the label font/style is similar to Denon... probably just a coincidence.

http://audiotools.com/dead_d.html
      Damark Industries
      Trading company based in Chatsworth, California USA, and founded in 1967, later in Camarillo, California. Originally I believe the company was mostly occupied with distributing hi-fi and radio products (via mail order ?) but in the latter half of the 70's it started marketing products under their own Vector Research brand, these were noticeably better than most such branding exercises especially in the first few years, in particular the Kyocera sourced CD players and cassette recorders, video recorders sourced from NEC (by far the best OEM supplier of such at the time) and the receivers which were sourced from the Japanese and Taiwanese factories that at the same time were supplying Rotel and Nad Electronics with their USA models, these receiver models usually not sold in Europe, and these are the exact same units as provided by the aforementioned companies except for the front facia. Noticeably VR was selling the receivers at lower prices than the competition and thus gained something of a reputation as a supplier of quality budget hi-fi, but the company was by no means tied to the low end, the most expensive receiver model from the company at the time retailed for around 1000 USD, the loudspeakers and record players from the company were disappointing however. The company was almost exclusively distributed in the southern part of the USA although for a time their products were sold as far away as Australia but notably the company did only own the trdemark rights to VR in the US, the quality of their products also took a downturn in the latter half of the 80's in tune with the market and the last products I have been able to find stamped with the VR brand were an inexpensive sub/satellite combination from the early 90's. Getting accurate information on the company itself has not been without problems but it does appear to have gone out of business in 1992/3, however the Vector Research trademark was transferred to a company of the same name and a very similar address to the last one that Damark had at that time but no products manufactured under the VR name have been found that have been attributed to the latter company and last traces of it disappear from official documentation in 2004. Be warned that there sprung up a number of companies called Damark after 1993, including a telemarketer based in Minnesota that is notorious for charging peoples credit cards without their consent, but there was also at the least a couple of companies that were called Vector Research at a similar time, including a a tiny relay manufacturer.
      Last edited by F1_Fan; 02-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-23-2011 11:51 PM #187
      Does anybody have any experience with vintage Lexicon? Specifically the CP-2?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-24-2011 10:38 AM #188
      Is that spot for 2 AA batterys on the back to hold the station memory if the power goes out? I've never seen that before, but I'm NEW to OLD stuff. (new to high end stuff too)
      That's a new one to me, but the unit is just beginning to push vintage age. It could be considered one of the 2nd wave of vintage equipment.

I don't even know what half these buttons do.

The meter button is for switching between the high & low scale on the power meter.
      Audio mute kills the audio output instead of turning the volume control down.
      My best guess on the next two. The low filter button would be to cut bass down on smaller speakers, odd, because they usually have a button to boost bass at low volumes.
      The high filter may be to tame an overly bright speaker or hiss on a cassette.
      Mode, Deemphasis, & FM Mute all have to do with FM reception. If the signal is correct you wont have to touch them. Mode of Mono tunes in weaker signals better, Deemphasis attenuates high frequencies if the signal is off. FM Mute cuts the hissing down on weak stations.

Now, I know power isn't everything,.so you must be wondering why I keep mentioning it. Well, my brother hooked up my Cerwin Vega speakers to his Marantz that he bought new in the '70s and they sounded very empty and if you tried to turn it up even the slightest bit they clipped.
      That's odd. Marantz receivers are generally hugely under-rated power output-wise. Which model? He could have one of the 15 or 18wpc receivers.

These speakers are hungry.. I'm going to feed them. Besides, after 4 years stationed in an artillery unit in the Army, I can't hear well enough to be a 'audiophile' anyway. Rock and Roll here we come. Perfect for my basement/garage/weight room.
      Have fun. It's really surprising how good vintage receivers can sound with decent supporting hardware.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-24-2011 10:51 AM #189
      Yea, not much info out there on them. Apparently, they came out swinging hard in the late '70s and built some very high quality, heavy duty receivers.. then ownership switched in the mid '80s and costs were cut, quality went downhill and then they went out of business.
      Sounds like Marantz minus the going out of business part. Thankfully they recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan View Post
      Looking at that picture I'm struck by how similar the label font/style is similar to Denon... probably just a coincidence.
      "and the receivers which were sourced from the Japanese and Taiwanese factories that at the same time were supplying Rotel and Nad Electronics with their USA models"

If this is true it could be a very good receiver. Those are 2 very well respected brands.

Does anybody have any experience with vintage Lexicon? Specifically the CP-2?
      I briefly considered one of their CD players but reconsidered when I read the horror stories. I have read good things about their receivers. Oh, also briefly looked in to a couple of their cassette decks but went with the Naks instead.

02-24-2011 11:24 AM #190
      "and the receivers which were sourced from the Japanese and Taiwanese factories that at the same time were supplying Rotel and Nad Electronics with their USA models"
      Yeah, I wasn't too clear there. I think it's highly likely that the front panel was made at the same factory as Denon however, that doesn't imply that the electronics are the same
      There's always money in the banana stand.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-24-2011 02:24 PM #191
      I briefly considered one of their CD players but reconsidered when I read the horror stories. I have read good things about their receivers. Oh, also briefly looked in to a couple of their cassette decks but went with the Naks instead.
      This is just a preamp/Pro Logic decoder unit. I am getting it for next to nothing so I will see how it is.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-24-2011 02:36 PM #192
      Yeah, I wasn't too clear there. I think it's highly likely that the front panel was made at the same factory as Denon however, that doesn't imply that the electronics are the same
      I went through a Denon phase once. They are what they are, a big name for the big box stores like Onkyo,Yamaha, & Pioneer. I prefer NAD & Rotel, but obviously it's more money. I'm not sure if it's worth it if you take music playback out of the equation & use a receiver solely for movies.

This is just a preamp/Pro Logic decoder unit. I am getting it for next to nothing so I will see how it is.
      Cool. No harm in trying it out. I had something like that years ago that I used with a 2 channel receiver. I can't even recall if it was a 4 or 5 speaker set up at this point.

02-24-2011 03:46 PM #193
      I think it's highly likely that the front panel was made at the same factory as Denon however, that doesn't imply that the electronics are the same

"the receivers which were sourced from the Japanese and Taiwanese factories that at the same time were supplying Rotel and Nad Electronics with their USA models, ..., and these are the exact same units as provided by the aforementioned companies except for the front facia."
      -Josh

02-25-2011 10:29 AM #194
      That's a new one to me, but the unit is just beginning to push vintage age. It could be considered one of the 2nd wave of vintage equipment.

Technically the correct usage of the word vintage is simply accompanied by a date and was associated with wine. It doesn't have a specific age requirement. You can have a vintage 2005. It has come to be 'mean' older stuff though and is overused / misused, especially in the respects of Ebay/Craigslist auctions..along with 'rare' and 'antique'.

But yea, in comparison to Marantz which was late 60's + 70's, this is younger, having been born late '70s.

That's odd. Marantz receivers are generally hugely under-rated power output-wise. Which model? He could have one of the 15 or 18wpc receivers.

Marantz 2265B. I looked up the specs on it. Appears to be a very well regarded unit. 65wpc into 8ohm and 83wpc into 4 ohm.

It *should* drive the speakers just fine,..but it didn't. I wonder if he had the 'b' set of speakers in the other room turned on at the same time. That could explain it.
      -Josh

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-25-2011 10:46 AM #195
      Technically the correct usage of the word vintage is simply accompanied by a date and was associated with wine. It doesn't have a specific age requirement. You can have a vintage 2005. It has come to be 'mean' older stuff though and is overused / misused, especially in the respects of Ebay/Craigslist auctions..along with 'rare' and 'antique'.
      Vintage gets used too often when people are trying to make money on something. It's become an over used stretching of the truth.

But yea, in comparison to Marantz which was late 60's + 70's, this is younger, having been born late '70s.
      There's a certain "look" to the second wave of electronics. The usual give away is the digital display.

Marantz 2265B. I looked up the specs on it. Appears to be a very well regarded unit. 65wpc into 8ohm and 83wpc into 4 ohm.

It *should* drive the speakers just fine,..but it didn't. I wonder if he had the 'b' set of speakers in the other room turned on at the same time. That could explain it.
      I have a 2235B in the garage & it is severely under rated. It drives whatever I've asked it to without issue. You're explanation is feasible, or there may be an issue with the receiver or speakers, or just a design flaw in the speakers. What year are the speakers from?
      Last edited by CaptainQualude; 02-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.

02-25-2011 11:39 AM #196
      My Cerwin Vega DX-7 are from the early 90's. Not sure when they started/stopped making them.

Rumor has it, Jerry Seinfeld had them in the living room of his show. He was funny for having things he liked on the show.. Porsche pictures, bicycles, etc.

They are great. (as long as you don't mind the size)

-Josh

02-26-2011 03:19 PM #197
      Got the receiver today. It is in better shape than the one I pictured above.

I took the case and faceplate off and cleaned the dust off all the buttons & cutouts.

Hooked it up to the speakers and fired it up.

The left channel sounds fine, but the right channel is distorted. I swapped the speakers to make sure it was the receiver causing it.

Not knowing anything about electronics, I'm not sure why that is happening. I also notice when I turn the loudness button that it causes static noises. I've read of people getting a can of deoxit and cleaning the pots, so I think that will be my first thing to try.

I've also heard of people replacing capacitors on the boards, but I'd have to research the proper way to do that.

Thoughts?
      -Josh

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-26-2011 05:12 PM #198
      The left channel sounds fine, but the right channel is distorted. I swapped the speakers to make sure it was the receiver causing it.
      Sorry to hear that, but that's the chance you take with old electronics. Did you try different sources & changing the inputs around? How about changing from speaker set output A to B?

Not knowing anything about electronics, I'm not sure why that is happening. I also notice when I turn the loudness button that it causes static noises. I've read of people getting a can of deoxit and cleaning the pots, so I think that will be my first thing to try.
      No idea on the loudness button. I've used Deoxit & other cleaners like that. Try to blow off the pots with some compressed air, Deoxit, twist, Deoxit, twist. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes it takes time. You might want to do it again in the future as a follow up.

I've also heard of people replacing capacitors on the boards, but I'd have to research the proper way to do that.
      No idea on that one either. It's probably not hard to do if you have circuit board desoldering & soldering skills. What to replace is another skill set all together. It's one of the reasons I bought Marantz. It's not too hard to find someone to do the work on vintage Marantz.

02-26-2011 09:42 PM #199
      Did you try different sources & changing the inputs around? How about changing from speaker set output A to B?

Well, I know it isn't a source problem, because it happens on both the radio and the aux input (hooked up my Iphone). Never thought to try the B speaker output though.. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!!
      -Josh

02-27-2011 10:33 AM #200
      Swapped to speaker output B and the distortion is still there. I notice that the same speaker will cut in or out depending on the volume knob position.

I will try to find some deoxit today and do a cleaning. I think that will solve it.
      -Josh

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast