Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Where is the radiator fan fuse or relay located at ?

1. 05-28-2010 10:53 PM #1
      I own a 01 Volkswagen Jetta GlX Vr6 and i believe my radiator fan ( the biggest one out of two fans) is not turning on since the only fan that turns on is the small one when i turn the a/c on. so i wanted to check the fuse to see if its blown out, but i have checked the fuse box on the left side of dashboard only visible when you open the door, but there's no fuse for fan on there is there anywhere else i can check? and what would be the exact number of it. Or am i just overlooking it?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta
      05-29-2010 01:16 AM #2
      check the fuses on top of the battery

3. 05-29-2010 03:14 PM #3
      Thx for the links but thing is my A/C works perfectly well and the A/C fan (smallest fan) works too. The one that dosent work is the biggest one whichi i belive is for the engine. I checked the fuses ontop of the battery which where only 3 the S178, 179, and 180. I changed all three of them since i had three extra 30 A fuses in my house, but still the big fan does not turn on. Any ideas>?? also to the left of those three fuses are 5 little metal pieces where some also say 30 Amps but ive never seen those types of fuses if they are fuses of course since they are metals so therefor i dint touch them?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta
      05-29-2010 04:18 PM #4
      try sending power directly to the fan

5. 05-29-2010 05:18 PM #5
      well we can try that, but considering the limited amount of knowledge i have about cars i would like to ask if you have a set of procedures or visuals that i could use or follow in which that would be very greatly appreciated so i can perform the task. Thxx

Vehicles
      1989 VW GTI 16v (W.I.P), 1998 VW Jetta 2.0 (Totalled), 2001 VW GTI 1.8t
      05-29-2010 08:20 PM #6
      Theres two fuses you're looking for, both are located on the fuse block on top of the battery. The fusible link in the middle is for Coolant Fan Control it should be 40A. The next is the left green fuse its for the coolant fan and it should be 30A. Applying direct power to the fan is really easy Pull the 3 pin connector from the coolant sensor on the bottom drivers side of the radiator. The arrangement is like a triangle with pin 1 being the peak of the triangle, ping 2 being the right bottom corner and pin 3 being the bottom left corner. Take a wire and jump pins 1 and 2 both fans should turn on (with the ignition off) this is what happens when you turn your car off and the fans turn on. Next turn on the ignition and jump pins 2 and 3 once again both fans should turn on but spin faster. If they both turn on then its not your fan motor is likely a sensor. If neither turn on then you probably have a wiring issue.

7. 06-02-2010 07:53 PM #7
      ok i changed both fuses (on top of the battery) the 30A and 40A with new ones, but still fan does not turn on, are there any more fuses or relays that the "big Fan" have so i can change ( and where they are located)meanwhile i get a wire and check it directly?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta
      06-03-2010 04:24 PM #8
      you need to send power to the fan from the battery
      XBOX GT:SO ICY GOON SQD mainly play MW2 and Halo

9. 06-10-2010 10:02 AM #9
      ok so i finnaly sent power to my "big fan" and of course the little fan was already working and when i sent power both of them turned on directly. Hence this mean that they are functional so what can i do to make this big fan work i if i have already changed both fuses that are ontop of the battery? is there a specific relay or something else?

Vehicles
      1989 VW GTI 16v (W.I.P), 1998 VW Jetta 2.0 (Totalled), 2001 VW GTI 1.8t
      06-10-2010 11:18 AM #10
      If you've checked the fuses and the issue still persists odds are its the thermoswitch located on the bottom left side of the radiator.