Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chronicles of Skelator

Vehicles
      2004 R32TT, 2005 Phaeton, 2011 A6 S-Line
      05-29-2010 03:47 PM #1
      Yeah I know, giving your car a name is corny, yet most of us do it anyway. As unique as this one has become though, I figured it was warranted even if it's in poor taste.

During my cars history it's been in a constant state of modification. While I may have posted up a few tid bits occassionally here or there, I have never posted a "build thread".

While the build threads are cool, sometimes they tend to languish on and on with readers waiting on updates. My build thread would have been no different so I chose to not make the Vortex suffer. Good thing too, as it's taken me 6 years to get where I am right now.

With that said I thought I'd post up the build process here to chronicle the cars transformation.
      There are very few pictures of my car from the early days as all pictures were taken by someone else, and back then the mods were subtle enough as to not warrant too much attention beyond the fact that it was an R, which was rare enough in 2004.

I’m known as Skela on the Vortex and uberVduber locally. The name Skela came about as my son's name spelt backwards, Aleks. The second name was reserved for the local forums. I can thank my son for that pretentious moniker – hey, he was 11 and proud )

The car has always been as much my sons as mine. For every picture I have of this car, my son is never too far out of the frame of the photo. The friends I have made because of this fantastic platform have all become my son's friends as well. While some refer to him as "Uber Jr" or "Punk" I know that they all like him and have welcomed him into the fold. For that I am truely greatful.

This car has made the bond with my son stronger then it may have been otherwise. With all the differences the age barrier provides we still have the R as our common ground. Those of you with kids who love your car as much as you do will understand this.

Anyway, enough with the intro, on with the chronicles of Skelator....

I have owned my 2004 RS R32 since new in April 2004 with 13 miles on the clock. It currently has 45K on the clock. I’ve always had the modding bug, and this car is such a great platform to feed that passion with. The AWD and 3.2 VR engine means it really responds well to modifications.

The car has been in a constant state of upgrade since those early days, but because all upgrades were complementary in nature, I was able to more or less continuously drive it throughout that time period.

For me, it started with a stubby antenna from my son for my Birthday in May of 2004… it’s been downhill ever since. A Typhoon Intake followed suit quickly after that, then a HPA short shifter. I loved the whoosh sound I would get out of the intake! A Revo flash, the HPA SHS coilovers and a Neuspeed RSB from MJM rounded out the mods for 2004. All outward appearances were the same and would remain so until the summer of 2005, when I upgraded to BBS CH's and Michelin PS2's.

2006 was the year I started looking into the turbo upgrades, it was also the start of Turbo Warzzzzzz on the Vortex and it seemed that everyone, including myself, had an opinion. I was never a supercharger fan, so for me the VF offerings weren't even a consideration. I flew up to EIP's GTG that summer and met some fantastic east coasters, some of whom I maintain contact with to this day. Alas, I wasn't completely sold on the EIP turbo at the time so when I came home I called HPA and ordered the FT400 kit.

We were the first remote install of the FT400, and instructions were a little sketchy to put it politely. We somehow managed to muddle our way through the install using Nebbies photos from his FT360 install as the go-by for ours. While there were subtle differences to the install, I can honestly say that Eugene's photography skills and attention to detail during his build allowed us to progress with mine. Thank you Neb!

We stayed FT400 through the remainder of 2006 and into the Summer of 2007, when I finally opted for the upgrade to FT450. Compared to the original install, the addition of a second SMIC and a fuel pump with a reflash of the ECU was a doddle... we were in and out in no time.

At this stage of the build I had changed the Haldex for the orange one, was running a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch with a single mass steel flywheel, a 19 row Mocal Oil cooler, had installed Gary Peloquins superb front differential, and was enjoying the benefits of super long gears (202 mph). The brakes remained unmolested, as did the interior.

By the time HWB rolled around in the Spring of 2008 I had gone as far as I was going to go with the car’s performance mods. I had always wanted to eventually go twin turbo, but the price of admission was just too steep. I consoled myself with the thought that I would be content with the 480bhp and almost as much torque that the FT450 provided.

Hot Water Blast 2008

I have always maintained a close relationship with HPA and they knew my wish, but also appreciated my financial situation. While HWB was underway, a good friend of mine from the East Coast was hounding HPA for a BT version of the FT series… something to rival the twins without the price tag. Conversations ensued…

Following discussions with Marcel, a plan was hashed out to send our cars to HPA to act as development mules involved in the launch of a new BT series kit. This was to be a two tiered effort, with Acerxz sending his car up first, with mine following on behind. The hardware called for even lower compression, much larger injectors, a hybrid GT35R, twin turbo fueling, Air to Water intercooler and finally, water meth injection. It would be called Blackjack. It’s target? Equivalent to the twins in horsepower output, if not outright torque.

Acerxz took delivery of his car at WF14, having not seen his car for 6 months… he proceeded to run consistent 11.8’s down the 1320 in the heat and humidity of New Jersey that day, proofing the reliability of the A/W setup and the HPA tune. He ran 17psi on 104 octane gas that day, all day. The street tune was up and running. Blackjack was on the streets.

http://www.vimeo.com/1376440

My car was the next in line, to take the learnings of the 17psi tune and apply them to a competition version of Blackjack. My version would be just that little more manic. The car would come with three levels of tune… a valet mode, street trim, and race trim.

Valet mode turned out to be a joke though… 16psi was the lowest we could go due to the injector sizing and minimum fuel volumes. Haha.

Street trim was targeted at 18psi, while the race trim was going to be somewhere between 21 and 23 psi, depending on fuel trims and how much stuff we were willing to break.

During this development time period HPA were in the midst of building a widebody R for SEMA called Decathlon. HPA have limited resources and it became apparent that my project would have to suffer if the SEMA deadline was going to be maintained – that’s when myelf and Marcel discussed using portions of my car in HPA’s Decathlon car for SEMA.

Killing two birds with one stone is always a good idea and we were now able to proceed with both projects concurrently.

The engine bay in its entirety, and the complete exhaust were used as surrogates for the Decathlon car for the show, thus allowing HPA to stay on track for various builds and development schedules.

http://www.vimeo.com/2227457

With SEMA 2008 behind us, my car was reunited with its engine and exhaust and evolved into the test mule for the FT425 and FT465 series of turbo's. It became the host platform for test fitment of the initial run of A/W kits that left HPA’s doors destined to those FT360 owners wishing to upgrade to FT425 or FT465.

With fitment confirmed and the jig's manufactured, it was time to refocus on completing the Competition Blackjack.

http://www.vimeo.com/3096651

HPA haven't done a whole lot of marketing for this kit so I though I'd throw up a few pics of the build as it progressed, along with the other upgrades I had spec'd for the build.

Here were the existing mods to the car when it was Blackjack…

Motor:
      • 3.2L VR6 Motor
      • Lowered Compression and Upgraded Rod Bearings
      • Garrett Ball Bearing hybrid GT35R Turbo with Proprietary Housings
      • HPA Calibrated Velocity Port (CVP) Short Runner Intake Manifold
      • Integrated HPA Air-to-Water Intercooler System
      • High Flow Walbro Inline Fuel Pump
      • 830cc Injectors
      • HPA Dog Bone
      • Labonte Stage 3 Water Meth injection with 5 gallon remote reservoir
      • eBoost2 boost controller
      • Ceramic coating of all the hot bits…
      • Dual 4.5 ” HF Cats into 3.5” exhaust
      • Resonator Delete
      • MoCal 19 Row Oil Cooler
      • HPA Custom dual flapper hand made Exhaust for straight thru acoustics…

Drivetrain:
      • Haldex All Wheel Drive with Competition Programmer
      • Super Long Gears – TUV certified 202 mph top speed
      • HPA SHS Coilovers
      • KW Launch Shocks
      • Neuspeed RSB
      • HPA 6-Piston Brake Kit front / 4-Piston rear
      • Peloquin front LSD
      • Peloquin rear LSD
      • SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch / SM Steel Flywheel
      • HPA Short Shifter

Interior:
      • HPA Roll Bar

Gutting the car for the roll bar, battery relocate and watermeth installation.
      You don't have to do it this way, but it sure makes things easier...

Front Mount Water Cooler

Finished Roll Bar

Water Meth reservoir installed in trunk

Notice the braided steel fuel line on the Blackjack kit. Short of inspecting the turbo, this is the only way to visually differentiate the FT465 from Blackjack.

The addition of a Peloquin Rear Differential to liven things up a bit...

Relocation of the OBDII port

A great place to mount my VAD bluetooth

The boost controller doubles as a boost gauge and allows you to change programming on the fly with a simple push of the up or down arrow...

The car's stance with rolled fenders, the HPA stage III brake steup and a fresh coat of wax...

My seats were changed to Recaro Sport Toplines with leather and suede trim. They offer lumbar support, are heated and cooled and fully electric. The seats are fantastic.
      The schroth harnesses are used for trackdays, yet I've retained the originak 3 point OEM harness for day to day commutes.

The following is a testament to the skill of the HPA fabricators... here's a shot of the poke of the front tires prior to rolling the fenders...

Now have a look following rolling.

The effect is so subtle that no ones ever notices that it was done. The result is fantastic!

I took delivery of the Car at Fastivus 2009 and proceeded to knock the stuffing out of it at California International Speedway...

My cool down lap was I-10 Eastbound on the way back to Houston. Long gears anyone?

The car spent the summer of 2009 in Houston playing with the locals. If you abuse these cars though, they tend to break.

Here's one most turbo'd R owners have had to deal with... loading the car to take it to the shop to replace shredded gears.

Now, here's an interesting aside about how my car became known as Skelator, and the origins of the Skull and Crossbones. You would assume it was the natural extension of Skela, my forum name, but that was not the case.

When Marcel was discussing Blackjack we commented on how similar the engine bays looked between the three levels of trim and wanted to see if something could be made to differentiate the kit. When discussing logo's both of us had Vegas on our minds. My wife, on the other hand thought of the jolly roger and pirate flags of yore with the skull and crossbones motif. Out of this, she came up with....

It was then that the car's nickname was born, and hence forth called Skelator.
      It wasn't until Fastivus that I found out that HPA had adopted the logo to represent the kit. My wife was flattered.
      Having said that, if you don't like the logo, blame my wife.

The Fall of 2009 saw the car back up in Canada for the next round of upgrades, the conversion from Blackjack to twins. This had always been my end game and I was fortunate enough to have a great year financially. While the Blackjack was everything you could expect it to be, I still lusted for the twins.

Mine would be unique in that it would be air/water intercooled.

Let the mods begin anew...

Extra heat shielding

Twins out back...

Yet more custom fabrication to modify the existing air/water system to twin usage...

Look at the quality of those welds!

Finished Engine Bay

During the late Fall myself and my son went up to HPA to sign off on the twin build before taking final delivery. We proceeded to take the car up to Whistler Mountain on Summer Performance tires. Needless to say we didn't exactly drive the piss out of the car while in the mountains.

Back down at sea level was a different story.

My only concern with the new power and torque where the gears. These were the R's achilles heal if you will.

We looked at the cost of converting the car to DSG and the logistics involved. For it to be even possible I needed a Mk1 Audi TT DSG car as a donor car. I started looking for used TT's that I could then swap trannies with, and then attempt to resell the TT as a 6speed. A lot of headaches, to be sure, but this seemed to be the only way.

With that, I flew home, leaving the car at HPA for a few months so Marcel had a twin to play with on his new dyno. I would bring the car down in the Spring.

I continued to occassionally search the TT forums for used cars for sale, when I got a call from Marcel in January. A twin turbo TT owner on the East Coast had shredded his DSG and wanted to convert to 6 speed. Marcel wanted to know if I wanted to do the swap? With that conversation lasting all of 30 seconds the plans were put in motion to get the TT over to HPA for the swap.

Engine out for the umpteenth time...

Out with the old...

In with the new... A DSG trannie out of an R36 with stupid long gears, even longer than 202mph.
      4th is good for 135mph...

Completed interior..

TT shifter ( it looks better than the OEM one for the R IMO)
      Note the custom base.

PRNDS

The Texas Mile became the car's coming out party. Along with the New Scirocco, the Decathlon Car and the CVP stage 2 test mule, we descended on Goliad Texas to see what the car could do.

We ended up turning a very respectable 172.8mph.

look to minute 1:14, the Spring 2010 running of the Texas Mile

YouTube - 2010 Texas Mile Compilation

This build has taken almost 6 years to get to this stage, but the end result was worth it.
      Anyway, thanks for reading along if you made it this far.
      I figured some of you may have found something in here of interest.

This car will be in our family for ever if I can manage it...

In closing... how she looks right now,,

One final one from the Texas Mile

Skelator AWIC DSG FT565 R32

Anyone notice the bumper ripples? I left mine along on purpose... it gives the car character I think...

And the HPA all wheel dyno at 17.5psi...

Last edited by Skela; 05-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
      MkIV R32TT AWIC DSG

My build thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...es-of-Skelator

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-29-2010 04:17 PM #2
      Beautiful car and a great read

Made it even more enjoyable to read since you didn't mention "super secret" not once

Vehicles
      One pissed off Golf
      05-29-2010 04:46 PM #3
      very nice. been following since i joined. for a fellow Texan. One of my favorite R32's. I can only wish.
      GO>SHOW

Vehicles
      __________________ 04 DBP R32 HPA\\\ Ft-Blackjack 97 Jazz Blue GTI DE VR6
      05-29-2010 04:55 PM #4
      great thread from a great guy thanks for all your help

Vehicles
      E46 M3 ZCP.
      05-29-2010 05:12 PM #5
      Um, WOW. The best build thread I've ever read. Great job. I hope someday to have a close to identical car.

Quote Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
      Made it even more enjoyable to read since you didn't mention "super secret" not once
      I agree with that.
      E46 M3. EUROMUSCLE.

Vehicles
      04 R32T
      05-29-2010 05:23 PM #6
      Nice been watching for along time Skela
      -JAMES-
      DRIVEN/Built /UM Turbo R - VR NATION

Vehicles
      2011 FORD .:Raptor
      05-29-2010 05:29 PM #7
      Awesome thread, always enjoy looking at your car.
      *R32 1518*, biggest head ever to fit in a GOLF!
      Congrats, turd burglar.

8. 05-29-2010 05:34 PM #8
      Nicely done. It was a pleasure to read this, including family and thanks where appropriate made it so much more enjoyable. And besides not mentioning super secret even once, you came across as a guy who has spent a ton of time and money getting to the TT stage, and not once did you sound like a colossal a$$hole. Others should take note Thanks for taking the time to write all this up.

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-29-2010 05:56 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR
      And besides not mentioning super secret even once, you came across as a guy who has spent a ton of time and money getting to the TT stage, and not once did you sound like a colossal a$$hole. Others should take note Thanks for taking the time to write all this up.
      Indeed, he actually looks like he spent time into researching his options, carefully deciding where he would invest his funds to obtain the greatest output, and actually put his car on a track! To sum it up, he didn't just "write the check".

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32
      05-29-2010 05:59 PM #10
      I've been watching the development of this car since I purchased my own. You have done things to your car that most of us can only dream about.
      I first saw this car in person in it's TT version at the Texas Mile this past spring. You also forgot to mention that out of all the HPA cars yours posted the best speed.
      Then I ran into you again at the 2010 Hot Water Blast in Houston.
      Your car was immaculate, and again in your modesty you forgot to mention you deservedly won Best of Show!
      Congrats, and hope to see you at the Texas Mile in the fall.
      Jimbo
      Last edited by JIMBO ROBERTS; 05-30-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Vehicles
      MkV R32 DB / B8 S4 Sprint Blue
      05-29-2010 06:19 PM #11
      This is pretty much the pinnacle of all build threads. Great read and wow what a great car.
      MkV .:R32 #3859 / B8 S4 Sprint Blue

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RS R32, 2006 Passat 2.0t
      05-29-2010 06:38 PM #12
      nice car, nice build, but me personally would not do it on a auto R

Vehicles
      grey whale
      05-29-2010 07:01 PM #13
      the whole A/W cooling system is great, you can lie to people and tell them its not turboed... that is untill they hear you leave awesome car!

Vehicles
      2004 RS .:R32
      05-29-2010 09:10 PM #14
      Thanks for the detailed build thread

Vehicles
      04 dbp r32, 98 gti vr6
      05-30-2010 12:11 PM #15
      awesome to read the whole time line of what I have been seeing bits of for a while now. Great car

16. 05-30-2010 01:11 PM #16
      Nice.
      Lets get some 1/4 mile numbers for the new setup.
      R32 NA 13.2@103
      R32 HPA 11.8@121

Vehicles
      05-30-2010 01:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by truestory View Post
      nice car, nice build, but me personally would not do it on a auto R
      Hey, I was right there with you. You'll notice it was the last thing I did. I was kind of forced into it if I wanted any longevity out of my transmission.

Now that I've done it I'm a convert. It's makes for perfect shifts every time, and there is nothing that can compete with the launch control on this thing.

To everyone else, thanks for all the kind comments... you're making me blush.
      MkIV R32TT AWIC DSG

18. 05-30-2010 02:38 PM #18
      Aside from trying to shoehorn in a R36 TT or just go V8, I'd say you've reached the limits of modding a R32. Congratulations!

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      04 r32turbo,01 A8L ,95m3
      05-30-2010 06:04 PM #19
      thanks for the good read....your car is a dream come true...have fun with it

Vehicles
      04 R32 (Supercharged)
      05-30-2010 06:12 PM #20
      great read, and an amazing car! nice work.
      TR .:R32 (Supercharged)
      http://www.theblackwabbit.com

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RS .:R32 & Golf GTI 2000
      05-30-2010 08:03 PM #21
      Great reading!! Great Car!!! Congrats!!
      2004 RS .:R32 one of three in Guatemala..

Vehicles
      2004/Volkswagen/R32
      05-30-2010 08:28 PM #22
      This is just amazing, great job on building an amazing car. The rolled fenders add such a nice subtle different appearance that makes the car look more aggressive.

Vehicles
      04 HPA R32T
      05-30-2010 08:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Skela View Post
      In with the new... A DSG trannie out of an R36 with stupid long gears, even longer than 202mph.
      4th is good for 135mph...
      Awesome car and very tastefull!

So if fourth gear is good for 135 MPH, what gear were you in and what RPM when you topped out at 17x MPH? I understand that there are a multitude of variables needed to push closer to the coveted 200 MPH, but I was relatively disappointed with the results. I'm interested in your opinion if you think that aerodynamics, HP, gearing or just overall setup was the hold up, if any.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      05-30-2010 09:09 PM #24
      Your car is awesome. A for sale soon?

Vehicles
      04 dbp r32, 98 gti vr6
      05-30-2010 10:42 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post

So if fourth gear is good for 135 MPH, what gear were you in and what RPM when you topped out at 17x MPH? I understand that there are a multitude of variables needed to push closer to the coveted 200 MPH, but I was relatively disappointed with the results. I'm interested in your opinion if you think that aerodynamics, HP, gearing or just overall setup was the hold up, if any.
      I think you might be misreading. He did 17x mph in ONE mile, I don't think that is the final top speed of the car, it would take more time/space to get to terminal velocity It takes lots of power to get that 200 mph mark in one mile from a standing start.

Vehicles
      13 Golf R, 09 Touareg TDI, and to many other VAG cars to list...
      05-30-2010 11:07 PM #26
      Nice...ran into him(OP) in Houston(bear creek park) couple of years ago, pretty cool guy. true car enthusiast...

PS Must of had a REALLY GOOD YEAR FINANCIALLY
      2013 CW Golf R

27. 05-30-2010 11:59 PM #27
      T-up

Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      05-31-2010 07:07 AM #28
      Brett you have an awesome car and it was great meeting you at the Texas Mile. Look forward to the Mile in October...

29. 05-31-2010 07:12 AM #29
      Nice write up and definitely a lot of money spent.

As far as rolling fenders. The process is not intended to push the fender out at all. What is does is press or rather pinch the lip inside the fender well up against itself. Imagine the horizontal line of a capital letter "L". That horizontal line is rolled up to the vertical line so that they are now together. This gives you a little more room inside your wheel well to avoid rubbing or pinching a fender with larger tires and lowered suspensions. HPA did the same thing to my car.

If HPA did something to push your fenders out more then that would be something entirely different. You need to take an identical picture as the first for a proper comparison.

Vehicles
      04 HPA R32T
      05-31-2010 07:35 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
      I think you might be misreading. He did 17x mph in ONE mile, I don't think that is the final top speed of the car, it would take more time/space to get to terminal velocity It takes lots of power to get that 200 mph mark in one mile from a standing start.
      Actually, I quite familiar with the Texas Mile and terminal velocity. What I was interested in was gauging how much more the car had left in it once it crossed the 1 mile marker. Hence why I asked what gear and RPM he was in. You bring up a valid point of terminal velocity, but don't assume that cars can not reach 200 MPH without excessive HP. As I already mentioned it takes a combination of variables to hit that mark. As you climb higher it becomes MORE about air flow and how and where you control it, NOT HP. If you have a high drag coefficient then you need tons of HP to overcome that. But in the same regard, with a low CD and gearing a "low" HP car in todays standards could reach 200 MPH. It's just about the setup of the car and what it's intended use is. But thanks for you input.

So Skelator, what gear and RPM were you in at the 1 mile mark?

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      05-31-2010 09:34 AM #31
      Nice write up, hopefully one day I can write something similar it may not have some TT's.
      always been a fan of your car Skela.

Vehicles
      04 dbp r32, 98 gti vr6
      05-31-2010 12:10 PM #32
      Actually, I quite familiar with the Texas Mile and terminal velocity. What I was interested in was gauging how much more the car had left in it once it crossed the 1 mile marker. Hence why I asked what gear and RPM he was in. You bring up a valid point of terminal velocity, but don't assume that cars can not reach 200 MPH without excessive HP. As I already mentioned it takes a combination of variables to hit that mark. As you climb higher it becomes MORE about air flow and how and where you control it, NOT HP. If you have a high drag coefficient then you need tons of HP to overcome that. But in the same regard, with a low CD and gearing a "low" HP car in todays standards could reach 200 MPH. It's just about the setup of the car and what it's intended use is. But thanks for you input.

So Skelator, what gear and RPM were you in at the 1 mile mark?

ok cool, it was the use of the wording "topped out" in your first reply that made me think that (yes I do understand gearing, power to weight, and drag goes up at the square of speed, but thanks for the input). The HPA post from the texas mile it may have more info in it somewhere in the thread, but I don't see if it says what gear/rpm. The short final gearing on the more powerful decathlon had it actually "topped out" but slightly slower - I would guess 5th? So we will await your questions response. I still think it is pretty damn good for a brick on wheels.

Vehicles
      05-31-2010 12:55 PM #33

The top speed attainable for the stock R32 Mk5 DSG gearing is 176mph, so both the Scirocco and Decathlon crossed the finish line near redline.

As it was the Deacthlon hit that speed near the 3/4 mile mark. The Decathlon had the HP to go faster, just not the gearing.

For my vehicle, I had the legs to go faster with longer gears and the potential HP as well but the DSG setup I have is the same as the Scirocco and designed for FT565 levels. My engine was designed for 21 psi levels (FT650) but because of this we ran at 17.5 psi levels to protect the transmission.

Hopefully, next running will see the Decathlon running with the same gearing as me. I'm fine with my setup at present as it's plenty fast for me so I don't expect to be much faster then what we posted in the Spring.

HPA went to the mile as an extension of their testing regime for the ongoing development of these cars, tunes, DSG upgrades, etc.; not to hang the cars out on the ragged edge to achieve the maximum speed possible. My car ran at 90% potential that day, and the Decathlon ran at maybe 75%.

Lastly, Marcel quesstimated our speeds based off whatever trickery math he was using and he came within 3mph on all estimates, so it's safe to assume the cars performed to his expectations giving the parameters he was running.

To put it in perspective we were all faster than a stock Gallardo and a stock GT500 that day, which was satisfying enough for me... (especially the Mustang )

I can not tell you the exact RPM and gearing I was in... sorry. I was more concerned with slowing the car down at that stage.
      Last edited by Skela; 05-31-2010 at 01:00 PM.
      MkIV R32TT AWIC DSG

Vehicles
      05-31-2010 01:31 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by 95GLX View Post
      Nice write up and definitely a lot of money spent.

As far as rolling fenders. The process is not intended to push the fender out at all. What is does is press or rather pinch the lip inside the fender well up against itself. Imagine the horizontal line of a capital letter "L". That horizontal line is rolled up to the vertical line so that they are now together. This gives you a little more room inside your wheel well to avoid rubbing or pinching a fender with larger tires and lowered suspensions. HPA did the same thing to my car.

If HPA did something to push your fenders out more then that would be something entirely different. You need to take an identical picture as the first for a proper comparison.
      Yeah, rolling fenders does appear to be the wrong term for what Darren did... what he did however, I've no idea. He did manage to pull the fenders out in such a way that the lip of the fender is now out over the edge of the tire.
      MkIV R32TT AWIC DSG

Vehicles
      E46 M3 ZCP.
      05-31-2010 01:36 PM #35
      If you don't mind me asking....what do you do for a living? I HAVE to get into that.
      E46 M3. EUROMUSCLE.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast