Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A/C Compressor DIY

1. 05-30-2010 03:57 PM #1
      There is a chance that I will be tackling the A/C compressor/clutch in the near future and I am looking for a DIY. I did search but came up with nothing. That doesn't mean a diy isnt already out there, so if there is could someone point me in the right direction? Car is a 1.8t btw...

Thanks,
      Bryan

2. 06-02-2010 07:27 AM #2
      anyone?

Vehicles
      MK2 Jetta / GTI 1.8t
      06-02-2010 08:25 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by bryan burnick View Post
      There is a chance that I will be tackling the A/C compressor/clutch in the near future and I am looking for a DIY. I did search but came up with nothing. That doesn't mean a diy isnt already out there, so if there is could someone point me in the right direction? Car is a 1.8t btw...

Thanks,
      Bryan
      x2

4. Member
      06-04-2010 12:07 AM #4
      x3

5. Member
      06-07-2010 06:44 PM #5
      FWIW it's pretty easy to do this. Take off the serp belt (adjustable wrench). Take off the two hex bolts on the pulley side of the compressor. The compressor is now unbolted from the engine. Take off the ac lines (6mm) and when doing so; hopefully it dislodges the compressor from the bracket cause it seems to stick in there pretty well. If it's not loose by now then some prying is in order. Remove hose from the air pump on the battery side (luck). Remove upper rad hose from the head. Then you should be able to weasel it out of the engine bay between the intake manifold n rad support. It's pretty tight.

I haven't reinstalled yet but it seems like it'll go just as easy.

Make sure the system is empty before you go shattering your hands when you loosen the ac lines and 134a explodes out freezing your eyeball solid on contact.

It's not a stock engine bay I was working on for the record.