Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Upgrade stock interior dome light to time delay Mk3 dome light

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      06-01-2010 12:02 AM #1
      With the Vortex search in shambles now, I figured I would bring a well known mod from the Mk1 community to the Cab side. A rather busy holiday weekend at the junkyard means slim pickings. But I was able to get my hands on an Mk3 dome light (non-sunroof). I also cut a pigtail's worth of the wiring connector for the light.

The Mk3 dome light has additional circuitry that leaves the light on for 5 seconds after the door is closed.

BEFORE STARTING - DISCONNECT BATTERY. You will be messing with a hot wire that can very easily touch ground and ruin a wiring harness from the light to the fuse box and lots of things in between.

It turns out VW stuck to the same wiring scheme between Mk1 and Mk3. Red = hot, Brown/Wht = each of the door switches, Brown = straight ground. Mk1 (your original light) shown below removed from the front window frame. A small flat blade screwdriver pressed on the metal tab on the right side will release the light from the window frame.

Since I am reluctant to cut factory wiring, I chose to splice in the Mk3 as follows:
      Take old Mk1 light that has the thin push on connectors and drill a hole to run the Mk3 pigtail through. I soldered it through the hole for a secure connection and then covered with heat-shrink tubing. This takes care of the Brown/Wht and Brown wiring connections to the existing car wires. There will be an extra brown and extra red pigtail on the Mk3 harness - just cut these off.

The red one is the easy one. Just make sure it is covered with heat-shrink tubing so it cannot short to the chassis or other wires.

Reconnect the battery. When you open the door with the switch set to "door" in German-icon-graphic-speak, the light will turn on. When you close the door, the light will stay on for 5-6 seconds and then turn off automatically.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      06-01-2010 12:30 AM #2
      Nice
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Another Useless Ground Thread
      HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FAQ's ABOVE..PAGE 3 Thread 75? Why bother no one else does.
      You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make them click.

3. 06-01-2010 09:56 AM #3
      you can also put in a tdr circuit before the wiring to utilize your stock light.

07-07-2010 03:33 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatDub View Post
      you can also put in a tdr circuit before the wiring to utilize your stock light.
      Where does one find these "tdr circuits" ?
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Where to take your cabby? Well, buy a Bentley and start buying a assortment of tools every payday and you won't find a better shop than in your own garage. Along the way you will learn how to tune one up, the Electrical system, Exhaust, Suspension, and Exterior/Interior repair.

Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet '89 Jetta
      07-07-2010 01:20 PM #5
      That is a MKII interior light not a MKIII. I am in the process of doing the same thing because my original interior light was broken. on the write up.

07-09-2010 05:35 AM #6
      Does this mkII light also fade in and out?
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Where to take your cabby? Well, buy a Bentley and start buying a assortment of tools every payday and you won't find a better shop than in your own garage. Along the way you will learn how to tune one up, the Electrical system, Exhaust, Suspension, and Exterior/Interior repair.

Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet '89 Jetta
      07-09-2010 09:13 AM #7
      Yes it does on the later years ('89-'92) I think, or it may have been an option. I just installed the one from my MKII GLI into my Cabriolet. It looks the same as the one you have pictured, which is from a MKII with a sunroof .The MKIII's didn't use an interior light that looked like the one you have shown, it is a diffrent style and is to big to fit in the stock hole on the Cabriolet.
      Last edited by waterwagon; 07-09-2010 at 09:18 AM.

For advertising information click HERE