Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Injection pump leaks and easy fix!!!!

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1981 VW Rabbit (USA)
      06-02-2010 04:44 PM #1
      I am a heavy diesel truck mechanic. Found out by trial and error that you can stop the various injection pump leaks caused by ultra low sulfur fuel by adding "1 gallon of ethanol gasoline" from a "ethanol" pump to a full tank of diesel fuel (9-10 gallons). May need to use only a 1/2 gallon too. In a couple of days, the leaks stop. Apparently the ethanol swells the rubber seals and o rings back to original shape. Usually only one treatment is needed, although a 2nd one is possible. I have been driving my 2 rabbits for over 2 years with no ill effects from this fix. Both were leaking fuel in small amounts due to the dreaded "ULTRA LOW SULFUR FUEL". I do not know if it would work for the newer electronic engines or not. I would be afraid to try it on the newer injectors, but it works GREAT for old school diesels.

PS: I am talking about the alternative ethanol fuel pumps that can be found at various gas stations across the USA. Not the gasoline that has about 10% ethanol added, but the alternative fuel kind.

2. 06-02-2010 04:57 PM #2
      Thanks for sharing

Vehicles
      81 rabbit diesel 4dr, 00 golf gls tdi 4dr
      06-02-2010 05:12 PM #3
      Sounds good, wouldve been better to have known this 2 years ago. Flew 1 way back to TN to drive it home to FL and found my pump was leaking like a sieve. Instead spent 9 hours on a motorcycle in 30* weather easter weekend driving to NC to buy a rebuilt pump because no one sold the seals locally or had a way of getting any.
      2003 Jetta GLX VR6 - sold
      1984 Cabriolet Wolfsburg - traded
      1981 Cabriolet - traded
      1986 Golf GL sold

4. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Diesel Rabbit - daily driver
      06-02-2010 09:59 PM #4
      a related story..... on my 84 diesel Rabbit, ... there was a leak at the injection pump..... I found a place (in Orlando) that specializes in re-building injection pumps. The guy suggested...before rebuilding the pump, that I try putting a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid, in the fuel tank, mixed w/ the diesel fuel. He said that it might seal the leak, by swelling the "O" rings, back to original form. (like mentioned above)

.... I tried it.... but, unfortunately, the leak was "too bad" for it to solve the issue. So I paid the guy to re-build the pump.... and it's been perfect since. (over a year ago). I think he charged $350, and used viton gaskets and such...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi TT Coupe
      07-13-2010 07:16 PM #5
      I just picked up a Jetta Coupe diesel, 82, this last weekend, and it runs great, but on cold starts, when I pull the cold start lever on the dash (that was what I was told it was), I noticed some fuel leaking from that shaft on the side of the pump. Once the car is warmed up, the leak stops.

Any idea if this is a quick/easy seal to replace?

I'll try the recommendations from above as well, and see if that helps any.

6. 07-14-2010 04:47 PM #6
      Super easy to fix that seal but.....unless you have some special cut down torx wrenches you will likely have to remove the pump. I've had that advance cam out before without removing the pump but it is a challenge. Have your magnet on a stick ready to pick up any washers you drop. Also will likely have to remove the #1 Glow plug if memory serves.
      Regards,
      RJ

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi TT Coupe
      07-14-2010 07:27 PM #7
      Thanks, much appreciated.... also, on a related note, does anyone have a link for the timing procedure, or even just an R&R procedure for the injection pump?

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      !982/JETTA/MK1 DIESEL
      11-15-2010 10:33 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Den052 View Post
      I am a heavy diesel truck mechanic. Found out by trial and error that you can stop the various injection pump leaks caused by ultra low sulfur fuel by adding "1 gallon of ethanol gasoline" from a "ethanol" pump to a full tank of diesel fuel (9-10 gallons). May need to use only a 1/2 gallon too. In a couple of days, the leaks stop. Apparently the ethanol swells the rubber seals and o rings back to original shape. Usually only one treatment is needed, although a 2nd one is possible. I have been driving my 2 rabbits for over 2 years with no ill effects from this fix. Both were leaking fuel in small amounts due to the dreaded "ULTRA LOW SULFUR FUEL". I do not know if it would work for the newer electronic engines or not. I would be afraid to try it on the newer injectors, but it works GREAT for old school diesels.

PS: I am talking about the alternative ethanol fuel pumps that can be found at various gas stations across the USA. Not the gasoline that has about 10% ethanol added, but the alternative fuel kind.

ok ok ok my pump of mi jetta diesel non turbo star to leaking for the area of pulling or something like i follow your advice, but first i try the transmision oil in the tank, and days after the ethanol, in this moment im surprised, the leaking is apparenting stop it, maybe is temporaly, but helps a lot...for the moment i don have money for a mayor repair so this tread help me a lot thank for share...

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      11-15-2010 10:52 PM #9
      interesting

I use 1 gallon of ethanol gas in the winter per full tank already as a way of making cold starts easier.

now I get double the results!

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

Vehicles
      84 300sd 79 528i 87 K-5 Blazer
      11-16-2010 12:36 AM #10
      a gallon or so of b99 will do the same. Only thing about swelling the seals is just that. any change in fueling will most likely result in big leaks. Its good for the short term, but I would rather reseal in the long run
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We'll accept Canadians but draw the line at Texans.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      !982/JETTA/MK1 DIESEL
      11-17-2010 09:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      actually agree with you here.

if i noticed my pump leaking i would do this and start preparing to rebuild it or source a good replacement for a later date
      today i went to check the aproxiamlly price of the work mechanichal and rebuild of my pump...

put away the pump......40 dlls
      rebuild pump ve.........250 dlls
      put it back teh pump.....40 dlls
      -----------------------------------
      total cost 330 dlls

problem i dont have that money in this moment
      problem 2 it comes xmas gift, i hope my car still go until january

Vehicles
      97 Trek, 81 Jetta, 81 Rabbit
      11-17-2010 10:14 PM #12
      i didn't believe in leaks caused by ultra low sulfur fuel, then my pump leaked and i fixed it, and i still don't believe in it, any leak since they changed fuels has been blamed on ultra low fuel.
      ..........___..................___..............._ __
      ......._//_|_\__........._//_|_\__........//|_|_\__
      ......|_@_|_|@|..O0o|_@_|_|@|..O0o|@_|_|@|

13. 04-11-2013 12:36 AM #13
      Hi there i read your reply about you adding a gallon of ethanol to your 2 rabbits and they stopped leaking diesel fuel. my 1990 toyota hiace japanese import van leaks diesel fuel and was told the fuel injector pump is leaking and will cost over $4,000.00 to replace or rebuild.

do you think if i ad a gallon of ethanol into a full tank on my van it might stop the leak?

tim

14. 08-26-2013 03:39 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by yukonguy2000 View Post
      Hi there i read your reply about you adding a gallon of ethanol to your 2 rabbits and they stopped leaking diesel fuel. my 1990 toyota hiace japanese import van leaks diesel fuel and was told the fuel injector pump is leaking and will cost over $4,000.00 to replace or rebuild.

do you think if i ad a gallon of ethanol into a full tank on my van it might stop the leak?

tim
      Has anyone other than the OP tried this method????

My pump has started leaking on my new to me rabbit, im pretty broke, and a Gallon of E-85 sounds like its within my budget to fix it. Thoughts? comments? concerns ?