Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: DLI mounts are here/installed. WOW...

Vehicles
      2004 R32 Factory Five Mk4 Roadster
      07-05-2010 04:47 PM #106
      Great review $3000. Way to articulate in ways my half brain cannot!

The description of the noise factors is exactly as I am experiencing in terms of noise changes.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-05-2010 05:29 PM #107
      I'd be in for a group buy as well
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      05 Evo (current rocketship) & 92 Legacy (daily)
      07-05-2010 05:38 PM #108
      im down for a group buy

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      07-05-2010 06:11 PM #109
      I'll only buy if they have mirror finished ones..

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Civic Si
      07-07-2010 01:06 PM #110
      Shut up about the group buy already!

Read my review on page 3 and just buy them already!
      STEELERS, PENGUINS and PIRATES here we go BLACK 'n' GOLD

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      07-07-2010 08:54 PM #111
      someone buy these, chrome dip them, and sell them to me for half the price.. kthanks.

07-07-2010 09:08 PM #112
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

8. 07-09-2010 03:47 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      No unwanted vibration increase, no unwanted noise increase, no bushings to wear out, no brainer.

Besides, do you guys *really* want hunks of red plastic in your engine bay?

Thanks Dave for keeping these mounts subtle and tasteful.

depends on who's brain bro

Vibration and noise is completely subjective. Some owners are bigger babies then others. Some owners need wifey approvals on mods. As far as parts (bushings) wearing out, you are correct. I would replace VF bushings every two years, depending on mileage. What you and I dont know yet is what parts will need replacing on these mounts? How easy to source and what is the cost of any replacement parts?

I am all for new products, and I support your testing and honest feedback. But for me, its not a no brainer.
      I've seen this happen, in other peoples lives, now its happened in mine...... <------ME New Phaeton Owner.

07-09-2010 08:44 AM #114
      From Dave (the guy that builds these things)-

"These mounts are not a new product, first set to Mk4 1.8T where developed
      and tested back in 2003/2004. We did the first Mk4 VR6 a couple of years
      ago, but it´s basically the same mount as 4-cyl.

Spare parts can be sold, but so far with hundreds of these mounts in
      different applications we have never heard of a failure and therefore never
      sold any spare parts."
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      MKIV R32 DBP
      07-09-2010 09:54 AM #115
      Im saving up for cams right now....do i spend the money on the mounts now or later hmmmm. I could sit around and wait for feedback.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Civic Si
      07-09-2010 12:55 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by 29_MALE_SOCAL_SPICY View Post
      Vibration and noise is completely subjective.
      Actually they aren't at all. They are completely objective and measurable. Your PERCEPTION of them is subjective. I actually thought about measuring the dbspl levels and making an audio recording so I could measure and compare the amplitude of the different frequencies they produce inside the car before and after but I was too excited to get rid of the old mounts that it didn't happen.

As I said before, being that I am a professional classical musician (who plays the upright bass, the acoustic instrument that produces the most infrasonic vibrations) and also have a much wider range of hearing than the average human, I am the closest thing to an objective measurement. READ MY REVIEW ON PAGE 3!!!!! Don't make me repost it.
      STEELERS, PENGUINS and PIRATES here we go BLACK 'n' GOLD

Vehicles
      MKIV DBP .:R32
      07-09-2010 01:06 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by $3000dreamcar View Post
      Actually they aren't at all. They are completely objective and measurable. Your PERCEPTION of them is subjective. I actually thought about measuring the dbspl levels and making an audio recording so I could measure and compare the amplitude of the different frequencies they produce inside the car before and after but I was too excited to get rid of the old mounts that it didn't happen.

As I said before, being that I am a professional classical musician (who plays the upright bass, the acoustic instrument that produces the most infrasonic vibrations) and also have a much wider range of hearing than the average human, I am the closest thing to an objective measurement. READ MY REVIEW ON PAGE 3!!!!! Don't make me repost it.
      Interesting question for you. Well not so much a question, but a bone to chew on and get back.

I have been throwing around the idea of making mounts for myself since I got the car 4 months ago. I don't like any of the available mounts aside brewspeed, but he isn't making them at the moment.

My car is viewed in my mind as my hooning mobile. Im young and I don't give a **** what my girlfriend thinks, so vibration and noise isn't an issue.

So to the question: Do you think solid mounts would make your face melt off? If so, maybe mounts with 1/4 inch of movement. aka, very small amount of poly.
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR View Post
      I have seen several open slots, usually after tequila. Wait, I think that's different.
      MKIV DBP .:R32 | Photo Gallery
      Projects | Custom Exhaust : It Begins | Solid MKIV Sub-Frame Mounts ||Build Journal| Draxus's GoKart

07-09-2010 01:46 PM #118
      $3000dreamcar - you compare the mounts to the VF units but I'd like to hear how they compare to, say, the 034 Motorsports "track" style mounts. Or would you say the VF and 034 mounts are roughly the same?

07-09-2010 01:56 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
      My car is viewed in my mind as my hooning mobile. Im young and I don't give a **** what my girlfriend thinks, so vibration and noise isn't an issue.

So to the question: Do you think solid mounts would make your face melt off?

I've had solid mounts in other cars and if this was strictly a 'hoon' car, I would have no issues with doing it again either. Of course I would also gut the interior, throw in a race seat, etc..
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      07-09-2010 09:44 PM #120
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).
      I'm an attention whore.. i like shiney things.. for when i park at shows..

Vehicles
      04 .:R
      07-11-2010 10:15 AM #121
      I just took out 034 street mounts and stuffed in track density mounts.... and WOW, I get that slop all gone now. With almost no vibration, the trick is to put tention on the passanger mount pushing out away from the block. Now you dont need to put 60+ lbs. just like 15+ lbs. I could wiggle the motor about 1 inch front to back with th street mounts, and now about 0.1 inch or so. Launches feel more solid now for sure! 034's are like $350 for all 3... Can't beat that! They look stock too.

Vehicles
      '04 R32 DBP
      08-16-2010 11:51 AM #122
      x2 boys... its too early for a full review seeing that i just did the install this weekend and drove maybe 15 miles on em.... but to give you a preliminary idea, my car is mainly stock (K&N typhoon would be the only thing to affect noise i believe). I'm running these mounts with BFI dogbone street density (stage 1 yellow).

Definitely a world of difference with way more crisp shifts and close to zero slop... after the install we were laughing how you can goose it and the motor barely moves in the bay now as opposed to the hard kickback and rocking i used to get when getting on or off throttle i used to get prior. Its rock solid and feels great.

With windows open you really wont notice anything, but close the windows and 3000dreamcar hit it on the head when he said its increased noise/whine in the upper register.... (as he perfectly put, "of metal timbre").

Here's are my initial reaction when it comes to noise and vibration..... big increase in noise, minimal increase in vibration (its gooood vibration). Part of the reason i installed these was i was getting a faint vibration/rattle sound at idle with stock.... and i'd get a clank clank when letting off throttle at 3-4k RPM like something was rocking and making contact when there's downforce after any acceleration. It seems that these mounts took care of those noises but added NEW noises instead (healthier noises i believe). First thing you'll notice - Your starter will now sound more "metallic" (more cha cha cha transfers through). You will hear the Haldex now and everything its doing.... there's a faint whistle/whine (airplane jet sound) that rises as you rise RPM's thru each gear. The only MAJOR noise that seemed to bother me was taking turns/ramps at like 40mph or so? I get a grinding noise feel (i think it made it to the steering wheel) as there's probably nowhere for the force to be dampened? Any feedback on that would be appreciated.... to be 100% honest it was the only thing that freaked me out and makes me second-guess everthing about these and their design, seriously. When pulling G's and worm-burning turns, how do these babies react? I need to do further R&D on that and get back to you all. Powerdubs, 3000, Pang..... any thoughts?

As for vibration... my car is SMOOTHER and QUIETER at idle than it ever was. Rev a bit and i get vibration from 1500-2000, but dont feel it when actually driving it... just when holding throttle in that range at neutral. Going in reverse may have a bit of increased vibration as well. Minimal difference in my book compared to the benefit ur getting with these mounts.

On the ride home from installing at my buddy's house, I was thinking to myself "wow people who complain about extra vibration and noise are p*ssies" UNTIL i took that ramp to get off the parkway at like 40-50mph (nice circular 270 degree ramp) and was fairly horrified and the grinding sounds and feel that was making it through the REST of the car... i think you'd def still notice with radio up or with wind noise or baby's crying / girlfriend's whining etc etc

Vehicles
      2007 Touareg 3.6
      08-16-2010 06:24 PM #123
      Dude, check the torque on those bolts. There shouldn't be any grinding coming through your steering wheel!

08-16-2010 07:06 PM #124
      No grinding noises here.. check your wheel bearings?

I swear I must be deaf in whatever range you guys are hearing more noise in.. but yea.. 4 years in the Army will do that.. ka boom ka boom..
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      '04 R32 DBP
      08-27-2010 04:51 AM #125
      bump...

and maybe i'm paranoid but at second look i feel like my motor is very slightly tilted (looking at bay eye-level right (driver) side is lower than left (passenger) side. Not sure if it was like this pre-install.

Thinking more i need to re-torque these things.

Feedback please!!

Vehicles
      '04 RS .:R32 (Cloth), '02 Jetta TDI - R.I.P, '85 Scirocco - gone
      08-27-2010 09:49 AM #126
      vr6 sits like that normally.
      I drive a Chewbaka noise maker. What 'bout you??

WiTW'14
      Need a HFC or test pipe setup? PM me or email me on above!
      ArgonAddict

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      09-10-2010 04:43 PM #127
      Any updates on these mounts now that you guys have had them for awhile?

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      09-10-2010 06:17 PM #128
      When the reviews were initially good, I take no news as good news.
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

09-10-2010 06:36 PM #129
      Haha... yea. That about sums it up. If I had any problem, I would tell you.
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      09-11-2010 11:46 AM #130
      Hmm, too bad i jsut bought CAMS, after i get back from this Deployment and get to swap those, the chains and the clutch, i might be forced to get new mounts. These seem really good and if not these then deff 034 mounts

Gotta save to repaint the R
      Instagram- @eboudah

Vehicles
      2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
      09-11-2010 01:44 PM #131
      VF bushings need to be replaced every year or two?...Really?

I've had mine for over that and they look / feel new still...what are you doing to your car? lol

I guess mine did have some annoying vibration and noise at first...until I adjusted them properly and let them break in....

I'm sure someone will come up with some unfounded material to complain about these DLI ones too eventually

09-12-2010 05:26 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by BOUDAH View Post
      Hmm, too bad i jsut bought CAMS, after i get back from this Deployment and get to swap those, the chains and the clutch,

What is wrong with your current clutch/chains? Don't throw money away on stuff that isn't needed.

(my other 24v has almost 145k on the stock clutch and chains with zero issues)

Hell, my work car (also a Vw) has over 180,000 on the original clutch)
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      09-13-2010 02:20 AM #133
      What is wrong with your current clutch/chains? Don't throw money away on stuff that isn't needed.

(my other 24v has almost 145k on the stock clutch and chains with zero issues)

Hell, my work car (also a Vw) has over 180,000 on the original clutch)
      Well the current clutch is toast, it is soo freakin hi and barley catches in 1st. basically there were a lot of issues with my car when i got it, i recently obtained a service report as when i bought the car the original dealership were *******s and wouldnt give it to me. Anyway, there were alot of unknowns and we think the motor was swapped. All i know is the Car is BMP, one previous owner and from Richardson, Texas. Wish i could find out what was done to it.

Basically we think the motor is newer, but unsure. i figure if i replaced the chains i wouldnt have any worries. But i know for a fact my Clutch is gone. Unless you might perhaps have any insignt, haha

ISNT NEEDED, haha so your telling me you needed all ur mods, haha
      Instagram- @eboudah

09-13-2010 07:22 AM #134

In on this thread for later!
      .................................................. ...............................................

What!? He's gonna what?! With what?!

09-13-2010 07:22 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by BOUDAH View Post
      ISNT NEEDED, haha so your telling me you needed all ur mods, haha

All my mods were exactly that...mods. They were all done either for an improvement or at least an attempt of an improvement if the part was an unknown (ported head for example).

You won't see me changing out chains that are giving me no issues.

Have you bled your clutch?
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      MKIV DBP .:R32
      09-13-2010 07:33 PM #136
      What dogbone is everyone running?
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR View Post
      I have seen several open slots, usually after tequila. Wait, I think that's different.
      MKIV DBP .:R32 | Photo Gallery
      Projects | Custom Exhaust : It Begins | Solid MKIV Sub-Frame Mounts ||Build Journal| Draxus's GoKart

Vehicles
      09-14-2010 02:17 AM #137
      All my mods were exactly that...mods. They were all done either for an improvement or at least an attempt of an improvement if the part was an unknown (ported head for example).

You won't see me changing out chains that are giving me no issues.

Have you bled your clutch?
      I have not personally, i had the dealer do it when i complained around the time my ECU went as it was gettin high then. So not for about a year, but thenagain, ive been deployed and havent been driving it.

And i was jsut being a smartass, haha no pun intended, you cant begin to understand my humor on a forum
      Instagram- @eboudah

Vehicles
      '04 RS .:R32 (Cloth), '02 Jetta TDI - R.I.P, '85 Scirocco - gone
      09-20-2010 08:00 PM #138
      Was about to order but apparently value of sek has gone up. was quoted $483 shipped...

Think I might monitor their value and order later. Got other things on my plate.
      I drive a Chewbaka noise maker. What 'bout you??

WiTW'14
      Need a HFC or test pipe setup? PM me or email me on above!
      ArgonAddict

Vehicles
      '04 R32 DBP
      09-29-2010 05:06 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
      What dogbone is everyone running?
      BFI Stage 1 (yellow)

Vehicles
      2002 gti 2011 6.7 powerstroke f 350
      11-02-2010 11:33 PM #140
      its not a R32 but i just ordered these from david today he is a really easy guy to deal with and would do buissness with him again for sure
      this is what they are going in

its not all about baggs and body work
      http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...eurotuner1.jpg
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/To...582958?fref=ts
      garrett 3582 with tial vband 2.1L stroker kit maestro tune

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast