VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Using VALVOLINE MaxLife ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid in a VW 01M??

53K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Sam F 
#1 ·
Valvoline is now saying there backing the VW TL52162. I still don't know if I buy it, the fluid color is red as opposed to the OEM type. It runs about $5 a bottle much less then the VW mineral oil & pentosin ATF1:)
Just wondering if anyone has tried and have had good or bad results? Some are saying it's suitable for the VW 01M Automatic transmission and online vw parts retailers are even selling it. Valvoline says its hasn't had the the manufacturer approval yet. Check out more info in these links.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_ATF.pdf

http://store.europarts-sd.com/MaxLife_ATF_Letter.pdf

#4 ·
Fluid has been discussed in this forum adnausium. (how is that spelled anyway!!)

Lots of folks have used it and seem to report good results. We were using Peak "Multi-vehicle" fluid for a while with ok results.

Right now I prefer mobile 1 syth. This is why... it says on the package esso 71441 (IIRC). This is the ZF number for the fluid ZF puts in the 01V. VW definalty uses the same part number for 01V as 01m. g052162a2. Therefor the fluid must be ok.

Use your own judgement. Search first.

#12 · (Edited)
I used the factory brand. I figured, if it lasted this long (100K+) with the original, why risk it?
Just my opinion.
Because the Pentosin is nothing special besides a bloated price tag, for what the dealer wants to ding me a Litre, I can put Redline D4 ATF into the tranny, and it blows the Pentosin out of the water. It's like the PSF, the factory Pentosin CHF11s is amazing stuff down to -60c but falls apart after around the 100c mark, CHF202 the replacement is good to 130c, but it's only good down to -50c, for the price tag of either Redline PSF is half the price, and it'll handle far higher temps without shearing. In this Bug's Power Steering System, the Pentosin was always noisy when doing low speed turns when hot and the wheel was sloppy feeling, with Redline in it silence and the wheel is always responsive.

Stock fluids aren't always better. ;)

Maxlife gave me slipping issues, their are different brews out there, and some of the bottles are missing the VW requirements, but are fully Dex VI. The issue with Dex VI is it is just too thin, so some 01Ms won't play nice with it.

#14 · (Edited)
By the way...

My transmission was leaking and I did not exactly know where. I changed the seal on the side cover of the transmission (with differential fluid) since some of the bolts were REALLY loose. It helped (the differential fluid was almost empty) but, the transmission was still leaking. After cleaning and changing the transmission fluid, I noticed fluid seeping out of the seal around the cable coming out of the transmission going to G68?, in front and on top of the pan, left from the filling tube. Since I do not have shifting problems, I put a little silicone around the seal and now the leaking is gone. I will keep an eye on it...

#15 ·
I recently changed the fluid in my 01M tranny and used th Pentosin OEM fluid. Needless to say I wasted $45 on it. After the change I noticed the tranny seemed a bit slow going from Park to Drive. I thought it was overfull so I followed the Bentley manual and let some out but then the shifting seemed sluggish. I went to Autozone after doing some research and bought 4 qts of the Valvoline Max life and put 3.5 in.. well my car is shifting perfect again.. and there is no hesitation between park and drive. I should also say the mgr at autozone told me they sell a ton of the mobil 1 synthetic also to VW and BMW owners. Both have the VW/Audi OEM part number on the back of the bottles.. just my two cents..

#16 ·
The way I look at it, the trans has had or OEM or Pentosin in it for a long time it’s better to stick with the same stuff. I don’t believe in one size fits all fluids. It might meet the specs for VW, but it does not mean that chemically it’s the same. I don’t want to different fluids mixing, doing who knows what.

If I had a rebuilt trans I would feel more comfortable making a switch to Redline.

#17 ·
I agree with you Nicefeet.. the thought of 2 fluids mixing doesn't seem good but I had to pull the valve body off to replace a solenoid and harness so I lost almost everything that was in the tranny. I normally like to stick with factory but I couldn't justify spending another $45 on more Pentosin only to have it act up again..

#19 ·
If the OEM fluid is so special why do all of these units pop up with bad valve bodies, and early failures? Mine took a dump at 70K...I changed the valve body and used Mobil 1 Syn....works perfect. No way I would pay thru the nose for that soup the dealer calls trans fluid...:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.