VWVortex.com - Thoughts on In-Cluster Digital Clock (12 / 24 Hour Conversion, LED Backlight Diffuser)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Thoughts on In-Cluster Digital Clock (12 / 24 Hour Conversion, LED Backlight Diffuser)

Vehicles
      92 Cabriolet Carat Triple White
      06-07-2010 07:02 AM #1
      Hello all

I disassembled my speedometer to upgrade to LED illumination and perform general cleanings. I noticed after replacing the light bulb with LED (B8.3D-WHP purchased from SuperBrightLEDs.com per forum recommendations), I get a weird green hue that I dislike, and distracting bright spots at the edge of the clock:

(Picture courtesy of Kammy)

I figured the green hue was caused by white light reflecting off the green-colored clock circuit board (PCB), so I painted the side facing the LED in white with correction fluid / White-Out:

(I ended up painting the entire board white)

After solving the color issue, I printed an overhead transparency with a gradient pattern made in Adobe Illustrator, and cut it to match the size of the original green diffuser:

For fun, I made one with a Volkswagen logo and snapped a photo while testing. I did not end up using the logo diffuser:

After a few trial-and-errors, I found a gradient pattern that I'm happy with. Here is the completed cluster with LED illumination, with the evenly-lit clock. The color of the clock is the LCD's natural color, and I find it attractive because it brings some warmth to the now-cold speedometer illumination:

-----

The following information have not been tested nor verified, use at your own risk (or report success stories below)

I have a 1992 Cabriolet with the MotoMeter speedometer cluster. While the clock is apart, I noticed the clock IC is a Philips PCF1171CT. A quick search on Google returned a datasheet. In it, I saw the IC has the option to operate in 24 hours mode:

The mode is set by pin 22:

If pin 22 is pulled to V+, the clock operates in 12 hour mode (factory default)
      If pin 22 is pulled to GND, the clock operates in 24 hour mode:

To set the clock to 24 hour mode, first disassemble the clock and orient the PCB so that the LCD side is facing you. In this picture, pin 1 of the IC is on the upper left:

Then, perform the modification shown:

I believe this is what it takes to change a MotoMeter digital clock from 12 hour to 24 hour mode. Personally I like my digital clocks to be in 12 hour mode, but I hope this information is useful to fellow cabby drivers who prefer to have their clock in 24 hour mode.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      06-08-2010 03:27 PM #2
      Very nice write up. Where was it three years ago?? It's nB+ now,

< edit > Very Very nice, exceptional!!! < / edit >
      < edit 2 >Helga would say, "You gotta Hay!" < / edit 2 >
      Last edited by tolusina; 06-08-2010 at 03:32 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      06-10-2010 05:26 AM #3
      Inclusion in neoBentley+? I'm honored Thanks Ron!

The IC also has an option to have blinking colon instead of the steady one. Cut trace for pin 32 and connect it to pin 31 instead.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 boutique cabby
      08-23-2010 11:38 PM #4
      i am confused as to what is going on with the circuit board being removed but i DO want to know how to modify the dark original lighting with that cold LED!!

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      08-24-2010 02:05 AM #5
      Very nice! Entire thread has been Cabby Info'd. I'll add the clock illumination mod to the LED how-to in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by burlish View Post
      but i DO want to know how to modify the dark original lighting with that cold LED!!
      Click here for the how-to guide.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 02:11 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by burlish View Post
      i am confused as to what is going on with the circuit board being removed but i DO want to know how to modify the dark original lighting with that cold LED!!
      You can buy drop-in replacement LEDs for the instrument cluster. If you want to get rid of the green tint, you can disassemble the cluster and remove the green diffuser behind the clock. Here is the original discussion I was referring to.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1985 VW Cabriolet
      03-15-2012 09:11 PM #7
      Great write-up! I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Do you know what type of LCD clock these cabbys use? Mine looks like the liquid crystal matrix has seeped into the top layer and so needs replacing. If this is as generic as I suspect, could order one from Digikey or similar place. Anyone have any leads on this?

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      03-15-2012 11:40 PM #8
      epic awesome thanks i plan to remove this clock and put it on one of the switch delete plates

this wiring diagram will help profusely

great write up DIY also

For advertising information click HERE