Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prom cars, back in the day.

06-07-2010 08:03 PM #1
      Prom was a very special thing growing up back in the '60s. If you didn't have a prom date you were nothing. If you didn't have a prom car you were a dork. I was that dork. I had one of the prettiest girls in the school, but had to share the ugliest car with my mother. It was a 1968 Delmont 88 in Canary Yellow with a White painted top. It came that way from GM. Some dummy executive ordered it that way and wanted to dump it as soon as he could as soon as he saw it. To top it off it had a baby puke-green interior. By far the world's worst date car, let alone a Prom car. My father drove Lincolns at that time. Not a cool Prom car either. That and the fact that I was never allowed to drive it, but that's another story.

This story is about the Prom car that I ended up with. A neighbor of my parents was the manager of a Dodge dealership. He needed to have a fence installed around his new pool and I needed a Prom car. All I asked for was a nice car. I completed my task in about three days. He was very happy. The day of the prom I still didn't know what he was bringing home, but he said it was something cool.

I got a call to come across the street to pick up the keys and saw a new Polara in his driveway. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't mad because it was miles better that the POS I had to drive. I walked into the driveway and said, "Nice car." He burst out laughing as he hit the garage remote in his pocket. My jaw dropped and I got a severe tingling in my nether parts.

It was a brand-new 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 RT 6-pack in Plumb Crazy with a white interior, top and stripe.

As he dangled the keys in front of me he said, "Two rules, no drag racing and no taking it out of state!" I was still speechless, so I just nodded my head as he gave me bad ideas.

My date, who is now my wife of 38 years, was, and is, a huge Mopar fan. In fact, the first time I got to see her bedroom I was expecting to see posters of movie and rock stars. No, she had blown up photos of mid-'60s Mopar hotrods that she had taken at Autorama in the '60s. I was stunned. I think it it was that moment that I fell out of lust and into love. OK, the lust was still there. The woman still has 30wt running through her veins.

OK, her reaction. Silence. That was unexpected. She was actually dumbstruck. I never honked the horn picking up a date, but this time I had to. I laid on it and I see the garage door open and her bruiser Puritan father exit with an evil look on his face. Honking for a date was considered very bad form. She however, opened the front door of the house and stood like a statue on the front porch, unable to move, or talk. As her father approached me I pointed to his daughter, and he stopped dead in his tracks. It was quite a sight to see.

Her sisters came running up to the car as my girlfriend screamed out, "Don't touch it!!!!!", and we all started laughing at the absurdity of the situation. Pops mellowed, as he was a Chrysler engineer at the time. Once everyone started breathing again all was right with the world. I think she and her family were as surprised as I was.

Now, this was early on Prom Saturday so I had all day to burn up some gas. I lived at the corner of 13 & Southfield, 2 miles from the famous Woodward Avenue. Remember, this was the heyday of the muscle car and I had an out of the box race car at my disposal. I picked up my tux and went cruising up and down woodward, stopping at Ted's, Maverick and the Totem Pole. The car drew a crowd everywhere I went. I was approached by a cop and asked for ID. Luckily the dealership manager gave me some documents that made him go away.

I went home after burning up a whole tank of gas and was confronted with angry 'rents. Couldn't figure out why, didn't care, didn't stick around long enough to listen. Something about telling them what my plans were, who I was going to be with, where I was going to sleep. Walked away, took a shower, went down stairs, told them that they were not entitled to that information as I was already 18 and if they didn't like it, I would just keep driving. That shut them up because they knew I was right.

I picked her up, sans honking this time. She was lovely. She had just had her hair done, Prom style, but insisted that I put the top down. We drove to the banquet facility and was waved into the absolute "A" parking spot. Sat in the car talking for about 15 minutes while our classmates walked in. By the time we got in we were surrounded with admirers. I thought it was pretty damn funny since I didn't own the car. Maybe that was my first taste of 15 minutes of fame, but I loved it.

We ate an institutional, but filling meal and then the mirrored ball came on and the band started playing. I hate dancing but I fulfilled the obligatory dance requirement. We went back to the table and I excused myself to go to the bathroom. When I didn't come back in 20 minutes she went looking for me. She asked some people if they had seen me. The banquet hall had 10 men's room, it was so large. She enlisted some help to check them all. I was nowhere to be found. She saw one of my friends and asked if he had seen me. He told her, "He's out on Telegraph Rd. drag-racing for $20 bills". Telegraph was the second hottest road in the Detroit area for Westsiders.

She walked out of the facility and found our "A" spot empty. As I returned after what I thought was maybe 10 minutes she was standing in the middle of the spot with her arms folded, Ice Queen style. She move out of my way and was about to chew me a new one when I said, "I won enough to cover the prom tickets so we have money to go to Cedar Point tomorrow!" That melted the chill. We went back to the dance and had a nice evening.

The next day we loaded up the car, disconnected the odometer and drove from Michigan to Ohio. Had a great time, got the worst wind burn of my life but generated some great memories.

Now that I had broken both of his rules I reconnected the speedo, washed all the freeway bugs off the grill and returned the car.

Now, I'm not advocating that kind of stupid behavior. Had something happened he would have had huge problems with his insurance company. He would have had had huge problems with the sate as it had a dealer plate. Had something really bad happened they would have gone after the dealer, the deep pockets. However, my penis was doing most of my thinking at 18, and that was really stupid.

Still have the girl. Wish I had the car.

What's your Prom car story?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '14 S4
      06-07-2010 08:08 PM #2
      Barry,

You are a f*cking MAN!!!!

I hate you....

3. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      06-07-2010 08:14 PM #3
      Jesus, not sure I can get anywhere close to Barrys story.

Uncle promised me a cool car, but neither one ended up working at the time. Old cranky cars...so I took my then new 4.7L Grand Cherokee, and parked in a multi level carpark a block from the hotel it was held at.

Ironically, we into the structure, and my girlfriend blurts out "What in the HELL in that?! It's gorgeous!"

"That's a 1972 De Tomaso Pantera. I was going to take you to prom in one, but it didn't pan out."

*pouting lower lip from g/f*
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

Vehicles
      NA miata (sold) , Corrado, 330i ZHP
      06-07-2010 08:16 PM #4
      What a prom car.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      06-07-2010 08:19 PM #5
      I didn't go, and I graduated from high school when I was 15 so it wouldn't have made a difference.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      '12 JKU Rubicon
      06-07-2010 08:20 PM #6
      Great story and awesome car

Uhh...I wasn't around "back in the day," and I didn't even end up going to prom, I went to NYC with my date instead. So no stories here.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 5-speed
      06-07-2010 08:22 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BLKonBLKMKVGTI View Post
      Barry,

You are a f*cking MAN!!!!

I hate you....
      Quoted for ***kin' truth.

I had no date and drove my dad's Audi A4 Avant (hey, it was the V6 with a manual, not a bad car at all).

Actually, the only thing really worth noting is that after after-prom I decided to go for a drive in the mountains around 2 in the morning instead of heading home.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I'm not even old, and sometimes I feel old.
      Interested in roads and road trips? Head on over to the Road Trip Forum.

How about old, forgotten highways? Check out the old roads thread.

06-07-2010 08:22 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      I didn't go, and I graduated from high school when I was 15 so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Hmm. I quit HS when I was 15 and got sent away to military school. Maybe that's why I had a 'tude.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '02 Appliance
      06-07-2010 08:24 PM #9
      I went to my prom in a 1995 Mercedes 300D, it was sitting on 18's and looked cool as hell.

But that pales in comparison to that Challenger! You are a lucky man, sir! A for you!
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

10. 06-07-2010 08:24 PM #10
      I drove my 20th to prom and I thought that was cool. Thats pretty awesome for you but really really really stupid too lol. At least you got away with it

06-07-2010 08:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by lorge1989 View Post
      I drove my 20th to prom and I thought that was cool. Thats pretty awesome for you but really really really stupid too lol. At least you got away with it
      Hey, I confessed the level of stupidity, and yes, I'm very lucky.

Curious, does Prom still hold a level of importance today? Didn't have children, intentionally, so I know nothing about young people today, except what I glean from my employees.

It was a pretty big deal. What reminded mw was watching the Simpson's episode today about Bart and Lisa looking into their future to Prom night. Yes, I admit to being a Simpsons fan. Our doorbell rings the theme song.
      Last edited by barry2952; 06-07-2010 at 08:33 PM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      06-07-2010 08:32 PM #12
      That was a great story Barry, thanks for sharing! I got nothing really close to that.

I didn't go to my prom, so I have no story to share. But if I did, I likely would have showed up in a Corrado g60. And if I did show up in that car, I likely would have dropped off the date and gotten back in the car to drive around. That car was sublime compared with the truly awful peugeot wagon I typically drove at the time.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      06-07-2010 08:32 PM #13
      I think I just read the best TCL story, ever.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      06-07-2010 08:34 PM #14
      I went in my dad's new red Thunderbird (it was 2002, it was still kind of cool). Ended up swapping dates with someone by the end of the night. That's about all i remember.

Vehicles
      56 Chevy 3100, 65 Triumph Spitfire, 67 VW Bug, 13 Toyota Tundra, 13 Passat TDI
      06-07-2010 09:41 PM #15
      My "prom car" was a chartered bus. They trucked us from Lancaster, Ca to some place at the Queen Mary (it's been 21 years, can't and don't want to remember the actual place). All in all a crappy night.

Grad night at Disneysland, now that's where the fun was.

06-07-2010 10:19 PM #16
      Didn't go and glad.

Vehicles
      1956 Buick Special "Riviera", 1997 Jeep TJ
      06-07-2010 10:24 PM #17
      I did not got to prom didnt feel the need to waste the money with a bunch of people I did not enjoy. However, if i would have went everyone wanted me to take my 1953 Willys Aerolark.

To answer your question Barry, I dont think prom is viewed the same as it was back in the day.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      06-07-2010 10:25 PM #18
      3-4 years ago- Took a hummer limo junior year, then party bus with stripper pole senior year. Pretty standard for high schoolers nowadays.

Vehicles
      stock TSI & stage 2 FSI
      06-07-2010 10:25 PM #19
      no cool story like that, but i took my father's '98 dodge conversion van to my prom...and yes, it has a bed , 'mood lighting,' along w/ real woodgrain, and very soft suspension

Vehicles
      '90 16v GTX
      06-07-2010 10:25 PM #20
      I'm guessing you left out the snorting cocaine off a stripper and winning some poker games while lifting weights out because that is the only way that story could have been any more manly.

Mine was last weekend though!
      I left my stock MKIV 2.0 at my girlfriends house because she lived a block away lol.
      On the bright side, we were king and queen which made a lot of the more conventionally popular people
      pretty angry. haha

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      06-07-2010 10:31 PM #21
      I didn't go to my prom, my girlfriend dumped me 2 weeks before her prom, and the girl I was seeing after her decided to ask someone else to go with her the day before her prom.

Rock on, Barry.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

22. 06-07-2010 10:40 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Hey, I confessed the level of stupidity, and yes, I'm very lucky.

Curious, does Prom still hold a level of importance today? Didn't have children, intentionally, so I know nothing about young people today, except what I glean from my employees.

It was a pretty big deal. What reminded mw was watching the Simpson's episode today about Bart and Lisa looking into their future to Prom night. Yes, I admit to being a Simpsons fan. Our doorbell rings the theme song.
      Hmm prom now a days... It depends what your perspective is. A lot of people, the majority lets say veiw it as just another popularity contest. But to the more mature high schoolers, LOL, its a classic thing you only get to do once and it is really important because of what it signifies. But to most its an excuse to party after and try to get some.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic
      06-07-2010 10:42 PM #23
      Nice car and story!

Prom doesn't hold as much significance today as it did in your story, especially the prom car part. Most people take limos to prom these days, although those who don't try to go in nice-ish cars. I remember one kid in my HS wanted to tint the lights in his car before prom () and the rich kids who drove civics/accords/camrys/corollas tried to borrow their parent's cars (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) but the vast majority went by limo.

06-07-2010 10:44 PM #24
      Great thread and story!

Barry, don't you think sometimes about trying to find out if the car still exists and maybe buying it (in some years when the prices are not as inflated as today)?

It's clearly special for you and your wife and would also be a great collectible (specially a 440, plumb crazy convertible).

Maybe I'm the weird one but I'd do it (I never sold a car I've owned and don't intend to).

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      06-07-2010 10:52 PM #25
      My personal car was a 1969 280SEL, forest green with a tan interior. The mechanical fuel injection was running a really rich at the time and would foul plugs every 2k miles. I had absolutely no understanding of how to fix it, and I was afraid that my date wouldn't appreciate smelling like gasoline by the time we completed our 15 mile journey from dinner to downtown (Prom was being held at the Convention Center in San Diego, our school and restaurant were both in North County). So I borrowed Mom's lame Toyota Camry.

The Benz was the most beautiful car I've ever owned....my first, car in fact. And my mechanical ineptitude at the time still angers me to this day. But I was just a kid so whatever.

My friend, on the other hand, managed to borrow a brand new Montero SUV from his uncle. And ended up rear ending a parked car when picking up his girlfriend because he had forgotten to put it in park before getting the out of the damn thing. So it could have been worse.
      Last edited by 20aeman; 06-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.

26. 06-07-2010 10:56 PM #26
      I shot the driveshaft out of the back of my 12 second Pontiac Grand Prix on the way to my prom. Nothing gets a girl wet like a busted u-joint, a drive shaft bouncing down the street and tranny fluid buring off on the headers. I also pushed a pushrod through a rocker when I floated the valves right after the joint broke. Major fail.

I drove dads mini-van when I took her to her prom the next weekend. Do you have any idea how suspicious a guy pulling up to pick up his prom date in a mini-van with dark tinted windows and no back seats is? Well... momma had every right to be sacred. We stayed long enough for pics to prove we were there...

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      06-07-2010 10:56 PM #27
      I got nothing.

I went to 4 (yes, 4) proms. Junior year, senior year, year after I graduated, mom voluntered me to a friend whose daughter got dumped. Basically I was a warm body in a suit so the daughter could go. 4th prom date was a young lady who we all knew was a lesbian (hey, I was deep in the closet so it worked out fine!) who just wanted a date so she could have a nice evening with her friends.

I know one car was a 1993 Dodge Shadow ES. At least it had the V-6. THink that was junior year, so 1995.
      One year it was a 1994 Dodge intrepid ES.
      One time it was my POS 1983 BMW 320.
      Not sure what the other potential vehicle was.

The cars? forgettable. The Proms? they sucked. I only remember some hooliganism in the dodge shadow..

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 DBP .:R32, '10 Phantom Black S5 (sold)
      06-07-2010 10:58 PM #28
      Incredible story...

I went a much more boring route, rented the gf and I a stretch Limo for the two of us. Oddly, we were the only couple to have their own stretch limo, so we got a few looks for that, but nothing much.....but that wasnt the intention...

Vehicles
      01 ALH 2256V
      06-07-2010 11:47 PM #29
      I had just finished bagging my fullsize chevy before senior prom. It was a nice feeling considering when you saw a bagged ride it was just an minitruck. Still have it i've only driven it about 5k since high school lol.

A few guys had some nice cars too so it was an argument who had the best ride, but of course the county sheriff's son showed up in the county police helicopter. Must be nice to say "oh yea, well i showed up to prom in a helicopter".

30. 06-08-2010 12:21 AM #30
      Me and my friends rode in a chauffeured 2002ish Suburban, black and tinted out, flying well over the speed limit like some kind of federal agents on our way to a raid.

Vehicles
      12 CW Golf R, FS 06 GTI
      06-08-2010 12:42 AM #31
      took my old man's 66 Shelby GT 350 for one year then took his 79 Mercedes Benz 450 SEL 6.9 (gray market car). Thats about it

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      06-08-2010 01:02 AM #32
      That's a great story Barry. I never went to my prom so I just ended up at an anti-prom singles party drinking cheap beer and hoping to make out with some drunk girl. Your tale almost makes me wish I would have went to my prom. Maybe my clean low mileage 1981 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a smooth 260 V8 would have gotten me more action in 1987 instead of 1997.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

33. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      **** box
      06-08-2010 01:31 AM #33
      I ended up going to Wustefest with a friend instead, and he messed up the clutch on the way there(we alternated driving) and it just got worse on the way back, so that sucked. But I don't regret not going.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Chevy 2500 HD
      06-08-2010 01:55 AM #34
      No story as cool as the OP's, but in similar fashion I had my rent's new at the time '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I wanted to take my car an '88 Camaro Iroc-Z but my date's parents insisted the car she rode in had an airbag. Yes that's correct what I wrote an "airbag" singular, cars with dual SRS in 1993 were really rare and super high end. Her parents didn't say "dual" just airbag.

Anyway, we took the '93 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2L, went to the dinner first then to a local spot everyone went wheeling at. Yeah that's right I took my parent brand new GC off-road, got it muddy but my date was into wheelin so she insisted that we find a spot after the dance. Long and short went to the dance, after that we found a spot up a fire road where there are about 300+ million dollar homes today but not a single home for five miles back in the day. I got lucky, got the truck dirty. She helped me wash it off at the do it yourself car wash the next morning in her prom dress and that was it.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Five.Oh, '90 F 3-Fiddy, '90 Protege LX
      06-08-2010 01:56 AM #35
      I only ever went to two formal dances in HS, both my Junior year (Girl at the time was a Senior). The first one, we took her 92 Metro (My beat '85 Toyota wheeler wasn't classy enough I guess) , was a good night once we got back out of the city, you can infact screw in the front seat of a Geo, why we did that in my driveway instead of just going inside I don't really know.

Prom, a friend's parents rented a Cadillac SRX, which we then stuffed with as many people as it would fit. The prom itself was held on a cruise ship, Puget Sound at night is pretty cool. That was all that went well that night, as she was stuck on bitch for the rest of it, down to being berated in front of a table full of MY friends for how I ate my dinner. I ended up stuck in the very back row while she rode shotgun on the ride home.
      Last edited by Trike Kid; 06-08-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast